Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or D3 is one of a kind?

Comments

• jcsadonejcsadone Member UncommonPosts: 60

Well, it's just You then.

I really tried to enjoy D3, but it was disappointment from start till (oh so near) end. But it's just my opinion. Still prefere Torchlight II. And Diablo 2 XD.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Yes, a lot, and many with far better game mechanics and elements in. The only thing D3 Really shines at is polish. Its a rather week dungeon crawler otherwise. If you aren't all about polish (which btw, is a BAD thing to be all about) your going to find games like Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile far better choices. Its pretty much using a genre is far from unique and it just polishes it up while losing the elements that make the genre good.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

It is just personal preferences.

I like D3 a lot more than TL2 and PoE. Better combat, better build experimentation (since you can just switch builds on the fly, and i like choosing skills a lot better than choosing 1 point here, and 2 points here).

Heck, i even like Incredible Adventure of Van Helsing better than TL2 and PoE.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    If D3 was not made by BLIZZARD and not called DIABLO 3, people would be calling it the greatest hack-n-slash game of all time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I saw this thread a couple days ago and decided to reinstall it.

I had played initially about a month after launch and had a good month at it.  After, I grew tired of just repeating the same story over and over.

I did launch it up the other day and what hit me is the sheer production values of the music and sound effects.  You can tell they put some money into it.

Other than that, I really couldn't get myself into it.  I had much more fun with Marvel Heroes than D3.  But maybe it's just me.

Originally posted by grimal

I saw this thread a couple days ago and decided to reinstall it.

I had played initially about a month after launch and had a good month at it.  After, I grew tired of just repeating the same story over and over.

I did launch it up the other day and what hit me is the sheer production values of the music and sound effects.  You can tell they put some money into it.

Other than that, I really couldn't get myself into it.  I had much more fun with Marvel Heroes than D3.  But maybe it's just me.

Incidentally i am also playing Marvel Heroes but i am starting to get sick of going through the same levels again there too.

These kind of games are always like that. D3 lasted longer for me than MH.

Now, i expect it will last even longer when the expansion hit, simply because they put in a random dungeon mode (call loot run) so you will have infinite number of random dungeons. The large number of comb will probably entertain longer than the randomization of story levels.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

And combat is the most important aspect of a hack-n-slash ARPG.

Well it does make an otherwise mediocre ARPG playable at least.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by Teh_Axi

And combat is the most important aspect of a hack-n-slash ARPG.

Well it does make an otherwise mediocre ARPG playable at least.

Mediocre ?

I guess you missed the raving console reviews the last few days by everyone and his dog except the usual handful of Blizz haters.

Actually you do have a choice now: hardcore PC play (die once game over) and its perfect hardcore EVE like economy.

Or pure self found gear with 4 friends on a couch on the excellentcasual  console version.

D3 is becoming rapidly the best game on every platform and you choose the version.

It surely kept me from playing WOW for a long time already (going back in for patch 5.4, but D3 is my main game anyway).

I just sold me a hardcore weapon Genzaniku for 40 million Gold in hardcore. Fabulous. My second hardcore avatar is going to kill Diablo Inferno in a few hours. 3 classes to go.

Fabulous game experience in whatever version you like most.

Originally posted by sportsfan

It surely kept me from playing WOW for a long time already (going back in for patch 5.4, but D3 is my main game anyway).

I just sold me a hardcore weapon Genzaniku for 40 million Gold in hardcore. Fabulous. My second hardcore avatar is going to kill Diablo Inferno in a few hours. 3 classes to go.

Congraz. A hardcore inferno Diablo kill is a pretty good achievement, which i will never get (i only play softcore). BTW, what MP are you doing it on?

D3 was my main game too. I am taking a break though (just doing some paragon leveling with my alts) and i am waiting for the expansion. The game will even be better when the expansion hit.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

@ the dude above:

You are wrong since I talk about the HARDCORE auction house which doesn't have much inflation since the AH is constantly reset by dying avatars.

Also this weapon is VERY expensive for a level 9 weapon since ... it has a socket at level 9.

Making it a weapon to level quite quickly and secure on a hardcore server (you die = game over).

Without a socket it hardly sells for 300K Gold...You see the gems in that socket makes for quite powerful DPS and you can change the gems to make it more powerful..

So next time : learn to READ what I wrote about instead of babbling OUTSIDE of the scope of hardcore play on D3 and its hardcore economy.

The problem of inflation is a problem of the SOFTCORE AH because in softcore play the AH is never reset, while in hardcore (because everyone dies some day), the hardcore economy almost works perfectly (we don't have a RMAH either).

As a matter of fact your lvl 60 avatars are not sure to live another day either while they grind: every hour can be your last, which makes D3 a FANTASTIC resource management game in HARDCORE play (everyone dies).

I still sell massively my Cains Legendary kit set on a daily basis. That's a leveling set and in ... hardcore demand simply never stops because of people dying daily (the price ranges from 50K Gold to 100K Gold per item). I was VERY Lucky to have the plans drop on me. The lvl 9 Legendary wepaon with socket was the best I had in around 500 hours hardcore playing time btw.

Congraz. A hardcore inferno Diablo kill is a pretty good achievement, which i will never get (i only play softcore). BTW, what MP are you doing it on?

D3 was my main game too. I am taking a break though (just doing some paragon leveling with my alts) and i am waiting for the expansion. The game will even be better when the expansion hit.

Tx... My second avatar made it: a new Diablo Inferno kill with another avatar.

I do grinding runs in MP2, mostly Act 1-2 these days with the main.

DPS = only 50K and Res @70%. You see you have limited resources in HC ...

The risk to die is too high/ Already had 6 dead avatars...

In softcore I have one Paragon 39 and do MP4 runs. Dying is fun there ...

I'll take a little break in Hardcore (too stressful, the last Elites today ... just before Diablo... almost killed me with 10% life and potions on cooldown (wet the pants). :)  3 Blue Mallet Lords with beams AND another yellow elite walling in...

I think I'll go for a WD in softcore for the next few days, just to destress a bit.

I am convinced D3 in hardcore is an experience everyone should look for in a video game. Much underestimated and with a perfect working economy.

• LigiLigi Member UncommonPosts: 119

I can relate with those that think D3 is repetitive, I thought the same some months ago. But then I decided to do diferent things from grindig on softcore endlessly:

Start a Hardcore character

Start a Self found HC character

Complete the achievements

Playing with friends and public games

Build some wealth on HC mode and level other secondary characters

Play short softcore sessions, just enough to get some legs

I really think D3 is not a game to play many hours straight, you will get tired, but it is certainly the best game for the money I found so far because I gave 60 euros last year , since then played countless hours and I am still having fun and I suspect my D3 addiction is getting worse when the expansion arrives :)

*edit *  Already have 3 dead characters in HC mode, my main is in the end of Act II inferno, I hope I can make it untill the end , almost died a couple of times on last sessions so I am going to take it easy, get some money and buy some upgrades before goingt to act III.

By the way, Grats for killing Diablo on HC inferno  !

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Ligi, If D3 was entertaining,  you should try out Path of Exile. For me D3 was too simple and somewhat boring, but PoE kept me going lot longer.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Yes I agree. It is one of a kind. A really special unique sort of turd.

Maybe some massive changes have been made to the overall design of the game, I don't know since I haven't bothered to pay attention to it in a long time. When it 1st came out though it was a huge letdown. It's kind of sad when playing Diablo 2, which is over a decade old, is more enjoyable and superior in nearly every way (except graphics obviously) than playing Diablo 3.

PoE is a much better option over D3 IMO.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    I would argue that D3 is at least the third of its kind.

lol this was my first thought too...

• LigiLigi Member UncommonPosts: 119

Mortemia, I did try Path of Exile for over a month, its a great game considering its Free to play, but ... its hard to explain, when my sword or axe hits the mobs in D3 , the feeling is much better then in PoE, also the skill system in PoE is unnecessarly complicated.

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Ligi

...also the skill system in PoE is unnecessarly complicated.

Blizzard's MO is to popularize things and the way they do that is by simplifying them. The skill system in D3 does what is intended, to get people into the action as quickly as possible and to give the appearance of customization. If that works for you, then by all means have fun.

PoE's "Passive Skill Tree" though is quite brilliant and does add a lot of depth that D3's system lacks. I play minion-based classes in aRPGs after I fell in love with the Necromancer in D2, so from my perspective the skill system in D3 doesn't even come close to PoE's.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

No... its not. Its no where near one of a kind. It uses the dungeon crawler formula WITHOUT systems that make it really good. Its extremely polished, but it doesnt' do anything new at all. 

So no... it really isn't. I'd say its one of a kind being a dumbed down dungeon crawler... but at the same time there are pletny of games similiar to that already as it is. The polish itself on making things pretty isn't enough to hide its a dungeon crawler with repetative combat. The ability to customize and create character more diverse is waht attached me to games like Diablo 2, not the combat. How they did it, it causes the game to become boring quicker.

Sure, "Wow flashy animations" works for a few minutes, but I get over it quicker and drop the game much faste rthen games like Path of Exile or Torchlight 2 where I feel a much bigger investment in my characters I make.

In short: No, its far from being one of a kind.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by neonaka

I found D3 to be extremely shallow in the gameplay department.

You play 4 very short scenarios, then you play 4 very short scenarios slightly harder, then 4 very short scenarios slightly harder still, then 4 very short scenarios very hard. 

Guess what  though, all you did was play 4 very short scenarios.

You have all these skills at your disposal but guess what if you want to be good you have to stick to just a few tweaked out builds.

D3 for me was nothing new, yeah it looked good, yeah it plays well, but at the end of the day you can do everything this game has to offer in a week, and then you are just grinding out each day 4 very short scenarios to try to improve gear....

Boring....

Despite i m a big fan of Diablo series, i will have to agree about D3

Mediocre ?

Yeah, MEDIOCRE.

Console version might have fixes the game needs, wouldn't know as I don't own it at the moment, doesn't change the fact D3 was completely average at its release and the PC version still is and will be for a good while yet.

Hardcore is practically pointless and just as mediocre too due to the lack of any random elements and the fact items are completely generic. This even more true now you can complete MP0 relatively easily.

Originally posted by TheMaahes
    Originally posted by Ligi

...also the skill system in PoE is unnecessarly complicated.

Blizzard's MO is to popularize things and the way they do that is by simplifying them. The skill system in D3 does what is intended, to get people into the action as quickly as possible and to give the appearance of customization. If that works for you, then by all means have fun.

PoE's "Passive Skill Tree" though is quite brilliant and does add a lot of depth that D3's system lacks. I play minion-based classes in aRPGs after I fell in love with the Necromancer in D2, so from my perspective the skill system in D3 doesn't even come close to PoE's.

I would much rather choose actual skills that does different things than points. The d3 system support many builds and you can experiment fast.

The poe system is just too cumbersome. The passive skill tree adds complexi without addint to the fun for me. The skill gem, on the other hand, is a much better system.

Originally posted by Teh_Axi

Mediocre ?

Yeah, MEDIOCRE.

Console version might have fixes the game needs, wouldn't know as I don't own it at the moment, doesn't change the fact D3 was completely average at its release and the PC version still is and will be for a good while yet.

Hardcore is practically pointless and just as mediocre too due to the lack of any random elements and the fact items are completely generic. This even more true now you can complete MP0 relatively easily.

Certainly not mediocre in terms of review scores and sales. That is just your personal opinion. I would say my opinion is as valid as yours.

Certainly not mediocre in terms of review scores and sales. 

I'm a gamer, not an activision investor. I only care about how good the game really is.