Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The ever popular first person view...

rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

I realize the game appears to be made for 3rd person, but ESO managed to pull off a first person view and I was wondering in EQN had plans for the same..

anyone know?

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

In an interview somewhere, they did say there would be first person view iirc.

Sorry I don't have the link to the interview on hand.

--------------------------------------------
  • AuladonAuladon Member Posts: 6

First person view has been confirmed.

What I'm hoping for is first person self-rendering (arms, weapons, etc.), and official Oculus Rift support! I think the Oculus Rift would feel strange and likely not work in a 3rd person environment. But in first person? Very yes please, and thank you!

• georgatos7georgatos7 Member Posts: 54

I would like to see a 1st person camera. Hope it's well implemented also.

• LaiquendiLaiquendi Member Posts: 73

it is a 100% guarantee that both views will be in the game.  After all, both EQ and EQ2 had  both, why start to limit now?

Although , on a personal note, I will never understand you 1st person view advocates.   I have been using 1st person view my whole life in real life.   Why would I want to immerse my self into a game, just to kill the immersion with MORE 1st person viewing??  ;-)

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    The interview Wellspring refers to is probably this one.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I personally am not a fan of first person, but if they give other that option I am all for it.  Since, I mainly pvp I think I would be at a disadvantage.  Not to mention a headache hehe
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    I dont understand whats the lure in first person. I prefer to watch the beautiful moi in action. :)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Elikal
    I dont understand whats the lure in first person. I prefer to watch the beautiful moi in action. :)

No offense, but you are the prime example of what is wrong in most combat games.. It is apparent you like the "eye candy" combat and the 3rd person view..  Most games are like this I guess.. As for me, I couldn't care less about eye candy game sizzle.. I play them for the content..  I enjoy the 1st person view because it simulates more of playing a RPG.. I don't need to see myself in combat and don't care if I ever did..  If I had my way I would NERF 90% of all the artsy fartsy combat junk that slows down my graphics card..  Ha Ha Ha..

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

I don't know about that. effects can usually be turned off somewhat. For me I like to see the game up close and personal. Looking at my toon doesn't seem to cut the mustard. Theres a disconnect there.

I think the game plays better from an immersive standpoint when you cant see all around you but many players will easily give this up for the tactical advantage.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by Rydeson

No offense, but you are the prime example of what is wrong in most combat games.. It is apparent you like the "eye candy" combat and the 3rd person view..  Most games are like this I guess.. As for me, I couldn't care less about eye candy game sizzle.. I play them for the content..  I enjoy the 1st person view because it simulates more of playing a RPG.. I don't need to see myself in combat and don't care if I ever did..  If I had my way I would NERF 90% of all the artsy fartsy combat junk that slows down my graphics card..  Ha Ha Ha..

No offense, but you are the prime example of what is wrong in most forum threads..

..see, just because you prefer first person view, doesnt make anyone elses choice wrong.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by rungard

I don't know about that. effects can usually be turned off somewhat. For me I like to see the game up close and personal. Looking at my toon doesn't seem to cut the mustard. Theres a disconnect there.

I think the game plays better from an immersive standpoint when you cant see all around you but many players will easily give this up for the tactical advantage.

Well its not really a tactical advantage if everyone has the same tactical advantage.

• JuliskaJuliska Member Posts: 1

If you want to handicap yourself with first person, go ahead. Don't limit the rest of us.

I started in EQ as far as MMORPGS go and I always played in first person, for several years. Then I tried out some other MMOS and just hated third person. I eventually came back to EQ and felt at home with first person.  After some time I completely moved away from EQ, except for some nostalgic visits. I had become so used to third person that I can't stand first person anymore. That's just me.

I think first person is a little bit of a handicap. You do not get the peripheral vision like the real world. And even with surround sound, it is not the same in game as in the real world to tell if someone is behind you.

I know this is a moot statement since they will have third person, but I won't ever play another MMO that won't let you play in third person.

Also, why not make the graphics into stick figures. I'm sure they'll get millions more players since only content really matters. /rollseyes

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Juliska

If you want to handicap yourself with first person, go ahead. Don't limit the rest of us.

I started in EQ as far as MMORPGS go and I always played in first person, for several years. Then I tried out some other MMOS and just hated third person. I eventually came back to EQ and felt at home with first person.  After some time I completely moved away from EQ, except for some nostalgic visits. I had become so used to third person that I can't stand first person anymore. That's just me.

I think first person is a little bit of a handicap. You do not get the peripheral vision like the real world. And even with surround sound, it is not the same in game as in the real world to tell if someone is behind you.

I know this is a moot statement since they will have third person, but I won't ever play another MMO that won't let you play in third person.

Also, why not make the graphics into stick figures. I'm sure they'll get millions more players since only content really matters. /rollseyes

I'd totally play a Stick Figure Death Theatre MMO!!!!!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Juliska

I never felt handicapped in any first person game.  If a game is designed around first person view than it wouldn't feel handicapped.  Skyrim and Portal for example.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Xarko

No offense, but you are the prime example of what is wrong in most forum threads..

..see, just because you prefer first person view, doesnt make anyone elses choice wrong.

Agree with Xarko. MMO's are not "combat games" but are RPG which means that the appearance of the environment and the beauty or ugliness of the characters are at the core of the experience. Watching your character in action from afar is much more enjoyable than the mess of 1st person view.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Ozivois

Agree with Xarko. MMO's are not "combat games" but are RPG which means that the appearance of the environment and the beauty or ugliness of the characters are at the core of the experience. Watching your character in action from afar is much more enjoyable than the mess of 1st person view.

I always felt RPGs were more about building a character, including giving it a personality and really kind of living through them in the environment. I've always felt it made much more sense to be able to do that in 1st person seeing through the eyes of that character. Makes the world seem bigger and more massive I feel as well. When you walk into a cave or a massive structure, really makes it feel you're inside instead of just watching someone else do it. I've always preferred 1st person and have been disappointed that more games don't come out with first person as the intended view.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

it would be nice to see a specialized "first person only" server. No one should be unhappy with that I would imagine.

Choice is an amazing thing.

ahhh maybe I should of not been so vague.. When people WANT to view themselves in combat  "normally" it's because of the cool moves and eye candy spells.....  Due to that it puts a bigger workload on the graphics engine to generate all that combat effect BS that means nothing but to appeal to your visual desire.. So when I mean it's wrong is because game mechanics SUFFER because of it.. We all know what happens when you get too many people blasting off combat effects in one area..   So.. it's more then just opinion or preference but a TECHNICAL ONE as well.. 

I have seen it for years how so many DROOL over combat effect in a game.. Especially the female bikini BS.. You think that would be that important to so many devs if YOU as a character couldn't see yourself from behind? I honestly doubt that many woman drool over combat visual, compare to testosterone driven boys..  lmaooooo  People today are so easily sold on the sizzle and not the steak..  /shrug

As I said before, if I was in control I would NERF 90% of the eye candy and spend more time increasing combat variety and strategy.. 

it would be nice to see a specialized "first person only" server. No one should be unhappy with that I would imagine.

Indeed it is.. and having special servers with different options would be great..  Not sure why so many fight it..

• Originally posted by Auladon

What I'm hoping for is first person self-rendering (arms, weapons, etc.), and official Oculus Rift support! I think the Oculus Rift would feel strange and likely not work in a 3rd person environment. But in first person? Very yes please, and thank you!

As I really would like to see first person + occulus rift i can attest from my first hand experience that something like that is not that easy. The EQN dev team would need to change the Interface completely so that no UI element is sitting infront of the player and have to make all UI elements 3d UI elements.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

ahhh maybe I should of not been so vague.. When people WANT to view themselves in combat  "normally" it's because of the cool moves and eye candy spells.....  Due to that it puts a bigger workload on the graphics engine to generate all that combat effect BS that means nothing but to appeal to your visual desire.. So when I mean it's wrong is because game mechanics SUFFER because of it.. We all know what happens when you get too many people blasting off combat effects in one area..   So.. it's more then just opinion or preference but a TECHNICAL ONE as well.. 

I have seen it for years how so many DROOL over combat effect in a game.. Especially the female bikini BS.. You think that would be that important to so many devs if YOU as a character couldn't see yourself from behind? I honestly doubt that many woman drool over combat visual, compare to testosterone driven boys..  lmaooooo  People today are so easily sold on the sizzle and not the steak..  /shrug

As I said before, if I was in control I would NERF 90% of the eye candy and spend more time increasing combat variety and strategy.. 

You asume a lot of what someone "normally" wants.

For me it's not all this simple. For example, I prefer 3rd person view, but hate over the top spell and combat effects.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Auladon

Boobs you forgot boobs if you are a female with big boobs you should be able to see them sticking out in front!!

• LaiquendiLaiquendi Member Posts: 73

Indeed it is.. and having special servers with different options would be great..  Not sure why so many fight it..

Having a "Special server" because you like something and want to lock out something else is moronic.   If we did that for everything people wanted/didnt want , we would have tons of servers, and SOE will not do that because its SILLY!!!

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I realize the game appears to be made for 3rd person, but ESO managed to pull off a first person view and I was wondering in EQN had plans for the same..

anyone know?

Technically they haven't pulled it off yet. Also haven't MMO's been doing this since 2003?

• JedidiahTheadoreJedidiahTheadore Member Posts: 48
    VR, and possibly a 3 monitor setup (though I don't have the space for it) is the only time I feel first person perspective is appropriate and adds the the immersion. Its rather annoying and feels limiting and immersion killing for me on a television or single computer monitor.

I'm not a fan of FPSs and play ES in 3rd person and appreciate Bethesda including the option. I'm glad they will have a 1st person option in EQN though, just hope they don't cripple the 3rd person perspective to appease the squeaky mice who hate it. Also really really hope they offer OR support.