Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cross platform release working wonders for FFXIV ARR; ESO set to blow up

Urban Dictionary

Blow up:

To become famous, successful, and respected usually within a small amount of time.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is producing some impressive numbers lately...with a subscription on PC & PS3; Scheduled 2014 PS4 release.

Elder Scrolls Online is also going to have a subscription and it is set to release sometime Spring 2014 on PC, Mac, PS4, & Xbox One.

All this rubbish about ESO releasing with a subscription adversely affecting its success is short sighted hogwash and nothing more. Bethesda & Zenimax plan for a Multi Platform release of Elder Scrolls Online (which is a part of the very successful Elder Scrolls franchise) Q1 2014. Also consider people are so done with World of Warcraft (what is considered the last really successful MMO) at this point their so ready to jump on the next bandwagon that even remotely seems worthwhile anymore. So many hyped yet poorly released or even worse complete fails in this genre have catered to alot of skeptism, critics, doubters, etc...this is obviously represented rather excessively on many gaming forums.

Ya I am aware of previous MMOs being on consoles and computers, yet they were released at a different times with minimal success at best. Next Generation Consoles are going to set a new standard in gaming that hasn't been witnessed for quite some time. PC gaming isnt what it used to be back in what I would consider its heyday as console gaming has been coming more to the forefront. Now we have tablets, smartphones, Oculus Rift, etc.... and so on...which is also affecting computer software and hardware sales. Yet it would be foolish to dismiss PC gaming as computers push the envelop, so to speak.

Wildstar, Archeage, as well as other MMOs in development are soon to release though as I consider this the only factor adversely affecting ESO sales in any way.

Of course there are many real world factors that could put a significant damper on things overall in a big way to consider carefully...though these are the times we live in anymore...

ESO current marketing strategy is pure genius and all it takes is a very well timed release of a quality MMO without alot of issues to be a blockbuster success overnight.

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Kuanshu
    Urban Dictionary

Blow up:

To become famous, successful, and respected usually within a small amount of time.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is producing some impressive numbers lately...with a subscription on PC & PS3; Scheduled 2014 PS4 release.

Elder Scrolls Online is also going to have a subscription and it is set to release sometime Spring 2014 on PC, Mac, PS4, & Xbox One.

All this rubbish about ESO releasing with a subscription adversely affecting its success is short sighted hogwash and nothing more. Bethesda & Zenimax plan for a Multi Platform release of Elder Scrolls Online (which is a part of the very successful Elder Scrolls franchise) Q1 2014. Also consider people are so done with World of Warcraft (what is considered the last really successful MMO) at this point their so ready to jump on the next bandwagon that even remotely seems worthwhile anymore. So many hyped yet poorly released or even worse complete fails in this genre have catered to alot of skeptism, critics, doubters, etc...this is obviously represented rather excessively on many gaming forums.

Ya I am aware of previous MMOs being on consoles and computers, yet they were released at a different times with minimal success at best. Next Generation Consoles are going to set a new standard in gaming that hasn't been witnessed for quite some time. PC gaming isnt what it used to be back in what I would consider its heyday as console gaming has been coming more to the forefront. Now we have tablets, smartphones, Oculus Rift, etc.... and so on...which is also affecting computer software and hardware sales. Yet it would be foolish to dismiss PC gaming as computers push the envelop, so to speak.

Wildstar, Archeage, as well as other MMOs in development are soon to release though as I consider this the only factor adversely affecting ESO sales in any way.

Of course there are many real world factors that could put a significant damper on things overall in a big way to consider carefully...though these are the times we live in anymore...

ESO current marketing strategy is pure genius and all it takes is a very well timed release of a quality MMO without alot of issues to be a blockbuster success overnight.

wildstar and especially archage will have next to no effect on ESO sales one way or another.

IMO the subscription model will have a much larger effect on the console sales more than anything because console gamers are not used to that and i have seen them complain about games like SWTOR having a sub (when it was in development)

that said, i don't see how this game doesn't do well in terms of sales and subs initially.

even after the first few months when many players will inevitably quit, like they would an ES single player game, there will be a lot of people left playing compared to games like wildstar.

this isn't difficult to predict people, its all about the IP. i think it will be a pretty fun game too!

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I think it's a respectable move. I guess they actually care about their franchise and anyone that is a fan should be elated with the decision.

Play to your core fanbase, which Elder Scrolls has a pretty healthy fanbase.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I agree releasing on multiple platforms is a great business move, I do not think it will be instant success just because it has initially worked for another product.  One, a game's success is usually determined 6+ months after launch and ffxiv is still in the honeymoon period.  Two ffxiv doesn't separate its players based on platform.  Three ESO will be launching (likely) in close proximity to numerous other big console hits and pc mmo games, ffxiv had little competition during its launch.

I hope the best for ESO being an ES fan and general mmo fan, but one example does not guarantee its success, too many variables.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    I wouldn't bet on it. It will most likely have an awful launch with their "single mega server". It is also going to be P2P. Many of the MMO gamers don't see a reason to pay monthly fees, myself included even though 15 euro (not dollars) is not that much for me. So yeah ... I expect the shit that currently happens and happened so far to FFXIV will repeat itself with TESO and many people will stray away from it just because of that. Not to mention that it's cloning Gw2's combat which seems many of you dislike...lol xD
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Gw2 combat is sometimes tolerable, I wouldnt pay for it though. In order to merit subs, the game has to be good enough. In the big picture your sub games are head and shoulders above f2p games. Gw2 is the exception but even it is not f2p it is b2p, which Iis why I know I will play it from time to time. Spvp is fun and I already bought the game so when I need my spvp fix, Gw2 is my go to. ESO I am hoping spends more time with thier pve and the pve is nothing like Gw2
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    SWTOR blew up. GW2 blew up. WAR blew up. AoC blew up. Rift blew up (etc). It is way too early to judge how well xiv is doing. If its population keeps rising over the next ~6 months then you can claim it is a success.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    SWTOR blew up. GW2 blew up. WAR blew up. AoC blew up. Rift blew up (etc). It is way too early to judge how well xiv is doing. If its population keeps rising over the next ~6 months then you can claim it is a success.

^ This.  I picked up FF for giggles and i am blowing through content.  still seems like another solo game with some co-op modes here an there. (Auto group in events/dungeons/raids and party communication is 0 as we mow through every mob in the game).  YAY for another everybody wins game.. bah

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

Nop, Gw2 is still strong 1 year in unlike the other games you just listed :) . I'm sorry but your argument couldn't be more wrong! Stop spreading your own fallacies and pitfalls 

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    I wouldn't bet on it. It will most likely have an awful launch with their "single mega server". It is also going to be P2P. Many of the MMO gamers don't see a reason to pay monthly fees, myself included even though 15 euro (not dollars) is not that much for me. So yeah ... I expect the shit that currently happens and happened so far to FFXIV will repeat itself with TESO and many people will stray away from it just because of that. Not to mention that it's cloning Gw2's combat which seems many of you dislike...lol xD

And whats is happening to FFXIV? because i am in and the fucking game is amazing and is crowed as hell.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

And whats is happening to FFXIV? because i am in and the fucking game is amazing and is crowed as hell.

Let's see after 2-3 months. Most MMOs have been that way during honeymoon period ie first month or two.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

As others stated, FFXIV is still in the initial spike phase. Most themeparks have unfortunately spiked and tanked, so it remains  to be seen.

Another important point that was brought up is that ESO is separating its users by platform. This is significant and creates a dynamic that's hard to predict. For instance, if the population ends up being skewed to a certain platform, it may affect the adoption rate on the other platforms. Not to mention people on the PC won't be happy they can't play with their buddy on the console.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Less than 15% of total Skyrim sales were on the PC. I don't think it'll be the same for ESO especially since the new consoles will take a while to replace the current ones and as of now, those who want to play on the consoles will need to subscribe to the premium XBox and PS4 premium pay service (Bethesada is lobbying them hard to not need this but nothing yet.)

Still, the initial numbers will be much bigger than your typical PC-only MMO.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

Determinate factors of success are surely relative as I participated in WAR and AoC and though they blew up...they released at a good time at a stale period in the genre and people had to give it a go...next...

Dont know much bout the other 2 games you mentioned as I didnt even bother....sure I heard alot bout them and still do yet I am not one who judges until I participate and bear witness

Last I heard Skyrim has sold 12 million and counting...as they keep adding DLC

None of the games you listed released on multiple platforms

Certainly I have my doubts about ESO being anywhere near the long term success as Everquest and World of Warcraft as this is an entirely different atmosphere in this genre. So many developers, investors, producers creating MMOs these days...how can anyone expect one to overshadow all the rest so significantly it drops a bomb on the rest, so to speak.

Everquest Next is most likely going to steal much of the thunder from many MMOs once it releases though who knows how far the release date is out for the EQN Revolution.  EQN Landmark has me curious though everytime I ponder it I laugh at the thought "Hey help us build our game with a mini game of sorts in a social setting and you can benefit from recognition and possible loyalties"; Before farming companies started really forming I was selling characters, items, and any other virtual item I could bank on yet believe me when I say this...it isnt worth the time/energy spent unless your cheating, hacking, etc...as many farming companies realized early on and due to their success.

Just saying if they release ESO at a good time, in a good way, and really deliver on their product whilst keeping their subscribers happy addressing issues and releasing new content...it is set to really make its mark in a big way...at least until the EQN train comes barreling down the tracks.

I consider any MMO that really affects, revolutionizes, evolves the genre as we are the collective voice ulitmately deciding where its all going. Isnt this what success is really about in society in the long run? Imagine if we started assembling enmasse and really started trying to change and affect the world in a more enlightened way. Makes one wonder why it has taken this long huh.

Who knows...we could all be in some sort of matrix and some alien or sentient being or whatever could be playing each of us, so to speak...LOL

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Oh look this argument again....

We had this discussion back when DCUO released. Everyone thought that with it being cross platform it'd open up a new audience for MMOs and be a success story, myself included.

What actually happened? None of us actually considered what the console MMO crowd are like or what their wants and needs are. In reality, it's completely different to most MMO PC gamers

This is an audience who primarily play online shooter multiplayer modes, the idea of subscription based MMOs was seen as a scam to many of them. They like their games in short, arena based, maybe coop modes at most. Why do you think every single game that's cross platform, 'has', to have a multiplayer mode? It's popular and fun for the younger crowd to play with friends in short adrenaline filled matches.

This is by and large completely different to what most MMORPGs are on the PC. Most are long term endeavors that require some time and patience to achieve anything, thus completely contrary to the console markets needs.

PC gaming is a much more broader market, with more scope for diverse ventures. Consoles are much more narrow in what they can do and what that audience wants, the new generation of consoles won't change, that it'll just be easier to share how many headshots you claimed in your last match...  

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Multi Platform = Larger Customer Base

And it doesn't matter how you slice it.

I cant stand consoles and there are only 3 reasons for why, 2 of which only pertain to Xbox

Reason #1: Let me play the damn game with a mouse and keyboard (Is this so hard for developer's to do?)

Reason #2: Get stuffed with your custom plugs that makes me have to purchase peripherals that will only work with your system. ( I don't want to have 2 steering wheels, 2 keyboards, 2 mice and there is no reason for it except for pure unadulterated GREED, Sony earned a big + from me when it comes to this.)

Reason #3: I will never ever pay per month to use the machine online. (This is pure GREED and if consumer's would have told   M$ where to go with Xbox live there wouldn't be a reason #3)

I've been a computer desktop gamer since the late 1970's I used to buy all the consoles just for the hell of it, but the direction in which the gaming industry has taken. I will be a very very hard sell. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Nop, Gw2 is still strong 1 year in unlike the other games you just listed :) . I'm sorry but your argument couldn't be more wrong! Stop spreading your own fallacies and pitfalls 

His arguement is right.. just that he included GW2 was wrong.

Translate on:

Don't judge a game and initial sales with success, you have to watch and see how many players will play and pay subscription after 6 month. And as much as i see it, he refered to Final Fintasy.

So, what do you realize? The arguement is more about Subscription games and long term success.. so therefore GW2 is wrong picked.. and in comparsion to the other games GW2 does more or less well.. maybe because they don't have a subscription.

@Topic: Don't compare FF with ESO, don't try to make a point, because of initial sales.. SWTOR failed big time in that already. We don't know nothing about any long term effect or trend. And ESO and FF are very different games. And it remains to be seen how much long term appeal any of those two games really will have. As much as i know about FF almost noone could play it in 3 month, and it would be considered not as a big success.

BUT.. that does not mean, that any game have to be F2P, or that F2P is superior.. it is much more about the game itself.. as long as a game does have long term appeal P2P is the better way, if it does not have any long term appeal i would go B2P, to take the initial sales and don't be that dependent on long term appeal.

F2P is a completely different story allthogether..

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

Urban Dictionary

Blow up:

NOT sure where you got this information from but you could not be further from the truth IMO. You said (which is also affecting computer software and hardware sales). Please provide facts and figures showing the decline is hardware and software sales.

Whilst I tend to agree with most of what you said and I also believe that all the Wowet fans will move towards Wildstar earlier on I do also feel that TESO will blow a lot of games away with the simple but close resemblance of Skyrim, I feel this will bring a lot of the single players into the MMO market for the first time as they get to play with their friends in Tam.

As for the old PC finding it hard to compete in the console market, again this blows the myth out to the water and proves there are lots of older gamers wanting a fresh approach towards gaming on our systems https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13249-Letter-From-The-Chairman-18-Million

I've even seem lots of post from console owners crying that they aint getting any love from Chris Roberts which made me kinda do a silly high five like a childish victory roll.... Looking back that was quick silly of me as we should rejoice from gaming as a whole when these guys can raise funds for such a big project indeed.

IMO gaming has a long way to go and evolve yet and the PC will be at the forefront too and more fool to any developer who alienates the PC player from their games.

Asbo

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

I agree it is doing better than the other games, but only because it launched as B2P and not with a subscription. Still, it didn't become the WoW killer like so many people predicted.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    It launched as b2p because historically Anet do b2p Becaus they know it works, that's not a negative. It didn't become a 'wow killer' because only childish people used such terms, ofc it's not a wow killer.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I agree it is doing better than the other games, but only because it launched as B2P and not with a subscription. Still, it didn't become the WoW killer like so many people predicted.

That's because "WOW killer" is a nonsensical fantasy bandied about by unsophisticated MMO amateurs. The only "WOW killer" ever will be WOW itself.

To hear people talk in these forums and see the criteria they consider relevant there are only 5 MMOs that were ever succesful out of the hundreds: UO, EQ and AC basically because they had  little competition and success in those days was measured in 100s of thousands--not millions, WOW because of it's massive sub numbers and EVE because, well it's EVE you know...that's it.

DAoC, we have been told in these forums several times, doesn't qualify because they "only" had 250,000 max subs. Never mind the fact that it was 2nd in active subs only to EQ at that time.

And GW2 apparently doesn't qualify either because a) it has no subs and b) it didn't kill WOW... this despite 3,000,000+ sales.

I guess common sense goes out the window here whenever someone wants to post one of these very informative "yeah...yeah,.. but..." posts.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

Gw2 is only hanging on to probably around 300K or so users just because the new games are not out  yet. The combat is just horrible. The torch holders for the game can only pretend its doing well because they dont advertise active users.