Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

tip for fixing tab targetting

svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
In keybinds there is
tab = cycle through mobs (nearest to farthest)
shift-tab = cycle through mobs (farthest to nearest)

But they are backwards. Tab does farthest to nearest and shift tab is the other.
So until fixed you can either use shift tab, or just reverse the keybinds and tab will work like it is supposed to.

Comments

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by svann
    In keybinds there is
    tab = cycle through mobs (nearest to farthest)
    shift-tab = cycle through mobs (farthest to nearest)

But they are backwards. Tab does farthest to nearest and shift tab is the other.
    So until fixed you can either use shift tab, or just reverse the keybinds and tab will work like it is supposed to.

i dont think tab is working backwards. Because its working fine for me. You sure u have verify it before u even make a thread for this?

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I'll have to check this out.  My tab never targets the mob right in front of me first.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    My favorite is i'm facing a huge amount of mobs in a fate, seriously there is a sea of them, i tab, start combat and some F'in turtle way over on the right slightly behind me comes flying at me cause i hit him, WTF?
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

You aren't even correct with how tab targeting works, so we should take you seriously...why?

As a PC player with a Scholar, the tab target system is fine.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Alamareth

You aren't even correct with how tab targeting works, so we should take you seriously...why?

How am I "not correct"?  Maybe it works right for you, but Ive heard plenty of people complain that it targets the far mobs instead of near mobs.  Thats what was happening to me too, until I changed the keybind.  And Im not asking you to believe me.  Im just giving a tip that if anyone is having problem with tab targetting - go to keybinds and switch tab with shift tab (or near/far with far/near rather).

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Not saying its backwards because it seems to work correctly now and then but its definitely off. Doesnt always work correctly, or rather, the way its expected to from other MMOs.
  • Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Hitting F11 is helpful for melee sometimes. It targets the nearest enemy, but no cycle though.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    Hitting F11 is helpful for melee sometimes. It targets the nearest enemy, but no cycle though.

That is a good tip - thanks

• RupskulRupskul Member Posts: 71
    Whether it is broken or backwards, it doesn't always work well.  F-11 is a very good tip.  I will use that in Fates from now on, because as someone else mentioned, I can be standing in front of 20 mobs, tab, and get the random one a half mile away ...
  • Hitman211Hitman211 Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Husvik
    My favorite is i'm facing a huge amount of mobs in a fate, seriously there is a sea of them, i tab, start combat and some F'in turtle way over on the right slightly behind me comes flying at me cause i hit him, WTF?

+1

Im standing in front of 50 fate mobs I hit tab and I get a chinchilla across the map...

I just stopped using tab target..ill have to try this.

I think there is also a setting to automatically target the nearest mob when attacking, I haven't tried that out since it can get you in trouble in a dungeon.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Alamareth

Um.  Ok, as a PC player of all classes and especially tank the tab target system blows.  It's possibly the worst implimentation of tab targetting I've ever experienced out of years and tons of MMORPG playing.  Reviewers have been commenting on this too - it's broken.

I don't think the OP is correct though.  Tab and shift tab cycle and reverse cycle - they have nothing to do with near/far for starting the cycle.  If you're kind of pointed at the nearest mob when you hit tab you'll likely get that target first with tab or shift tab since you haven't established a starting point.  After that, all bets are off and good effin luck.

The main problem with tab target is that it cycles thru mobs that aren't in front of you and/or that are at a range none of your abilities can hit - to the extreme.  Acquiring targets that are 100+ yards away that you can't even click on is just idiotic.  The tab target system isn't logical in any way compared to how tab target cycling usually works.

This is another one of those "quality of life" places where SE has failed to impliment a basic MMORPG feature that's done far better in most other quality MMORPGs.  There is a huge list of such things.  Inventory, item preview, item compare, mount behavior, etc.  Huge list on the main forum and reviewers are mentioning a lot of this stuff too.  It's stuff you notice more as the new game smell wears off.

Except the tab target behavior is way mroe noticeable and is immediately annoying, especially in congestion like fates or when you're tanking instances and there are lots of adds or trash pulls near each other.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

This is one of my complaints as well. Tab targeting definitely doesn't function the way it should, at least not all the time. It's quite frustrating when you're trying to do a FATE with a bunch of other people & you can't target the mob you want before it gets zerged down, preventing you from getting any credit toward its demise.

Small beans compared to the gold spammers though, Squeenix needs to do something about them first and foremost. My blacklist has 30 names on it already...

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177

You might want to check out the character settings. You can configure filters for targeting. Up to 4 filters can be customized by you and switched while playing. This game has the most advanced and in depth configuration for targeting i have seen so far. There are even skill bars that are shared between classes/jobs and skill bars can be completely customized for idle and weapon drawn stances.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

this is a better tip than the OP. thank you!
  • FyendiarFyendiar Member UncommonPosts: 250

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1knlxo/

The above link helped making it a bit better for me, at least for healers it did, but even with all those changes it still often goes completely wrong for me. Playing on a PC as well and no matter how I change the tab cycling it just keeps changing randomly it seems. So far this and the loooooooong freakin global cooldown are making the combat a lot less fun than it could be.

When I solo I just use a key to select the closest enemy or left click select it since tab-cycling can not be trusted.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Foomerang

yeah i rebound that target nearest as soon as i found it. i use the tilde? key ~

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Actually, the OP has a point.

It's still quirky, but going in reverse order is closer to "normal" than not.

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I will make it a letter better for you. go to main menu and then to keybinds> targeting> target nearest enemy . then change it from F11 to "   `  " , which is the key next to 1. for melee, it makes it more an action combat than a tab target combat and iv used it alot as a tank to tab through enmies for taunt skills > click `  to go back to my DPS focus mob.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang
    Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Darknessguy64 Hitting F11 is helpful for melee sometimes. It targets the nearest enemy, but no cycle though.
    I will make it a letter better for you. go to main menu and then to keybinds> targeting> target nearest enemy . then change it from F11 to "   `  " , which is the key next to 1. for melee, it makes it more an action combat than a tab target combat and iv used it alot as a tank to tab through enmies for taunt skills > click `  to go back to my DPS focus mob.

I mapped it to a side mouse button. Win :)
  • h3aso4h3aso4 Member CommonPosts: 4

This may be old news, but the targeting system  (while supposed to select nearest to farthest) is currently selecting the nearest target, and then targets from the Left side of the screen to to the Right (no matter their distance). Hopefully there's a fix coming for this in 2.1

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Originally posted by h3aso4

This may be old news, but the targeting system  (while supposed to select nearest to farthest) is currently selecting the nearest target, and then targets from the Left side of the screen to to the Right (no matter their distance). Hopefully there's a fix coming for this in 2.1

This.

The target selection moves from left to right across the screen - go to an area with a spread of mobs and try it.

• bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    At least you have options...as an excellent pro ps3 player I have no option to target nearest as I usually target the ladybug playing with flowers in the background...ps3 players are screwed
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Originally posted by bronzephishy
    At least you have options...as an excellent pro ps3 player I have no option to target nearest as I usually target the ladybug playing with flowers in the background...ps3 players are screwed

At least you can target sonic the hedgehog........