Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will faction make a comeback?

rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

It is my hope that faction will make a major comeback in EQN. No numbers like original eq but greatly expanded for each specific group. If you want to know where you stand, you need to do it the hard way. Find someone of that faction.

it would also be nice if players could also join npc factions and complete tasks for that faction to improve that faction, while improving themselves.

the eq method has never been recreated in any other game to the same effect. All other games lost sight of the importance of the hidden numbers and ruined their systems.

I would like to see the scaling back of any kind of point distribution for killing monsters (exp) and instead use the faction system which unlocks all manner of things from shops to vaults to quests, to classes.

Comments

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Whatever makes it as simple-minded and easy as possible. Old school mechanics, planning, and accomplishments are icky.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    I greatly dislike hidden stats. That's probably my nature as a programmer. I want to know all the factors and their interdependance.
  • DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by Grahor
    I greatly dislike hidden stats. That's probably my nature as a programmer. I want to know all the factors and their interdependance.

Just my opinion of course..

But I love hidden stats. 

Otherwise you end up with games like WoW where every single last number is calculated and before you know it there is only 1 way to build each class.

I remember back in WoW, if you didn't build your talents a specific way..with specific gear you couldn't get into raids.. bugged the hell out of me..

But then you take a game like FFXI, and they had tons of hidden stats.. even to this day (10+ years later) there are still farming stats people don't know..

if you plant on this day this seed in this month.. it MIGHT have a % to grow this plant.. or this other plant.. tons of fun!

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

I'm not interested in raids, and I never minmax my chars. So no downside for me.

>>if you plant on this day this seed in this month.. it MIGHT have a % to grow this plant.. or this other plant.. tons of fun!<<

Errr... Thank you, but no. Not my type of fun.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by rungard

It is my hope that faction will make a major comeback in EQN. No numbers like original eq but greatly expanded for each specific group. If you want to know where you stand, you need to do it the hard way. Find someone of that faction.

it would also be nice if players could also join npc factions and complete tasks for that faction to improve that faction, while improving themselves.

the eq method has never been recreated in any other game to the same effect. All other games lost sight of the importance of the hidden numbers and ruined their systems.

I would like to see the scaling back of any kind of point distribution for killing monsters (exp) and instead use the faction system which unlocks all manner of things from shops to vaults to quests, to classes.

I highly recommend that you catch up on StoryBricks and Advanced AI. 

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by Kyllien
    Originally posted by rungard

I highly recommend that you catch up on StoryBricks and Advanced AI. 

Hopefully it works out but the jury is still out on storybricks.  

StoryBricks is an interface, not an AI itself. The mechanics underneath StoryBricks are completely standard, the new thing is the interface that allows programming that AI with mouseclicks rather than, say, scripting language.

*shrug* we'll see how that'll go, but my opinion - it's not going to go all that well or all that novel. 

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by Grahor

StoryBricks is an interface, not an AI itself. The mechanics underneath StoryBricks are completely standard, the new thing is the interface that allows programming that AI with mouseclicks rather than, say, scripting language.

*shrug* we'll see how that'll go, but my opinion - it's not going to go all that well or all that novel. 

Somehow you have an inside track to the SOE Black box?!?  You know exactly what they are doing and already know they not only are going to fail but have already failed?  Because no one else has seen anything concrete about how the advanced AI will work because they haven't shown us yet.  Until they actually fail, and you won't know that unti the game is released, it is unfair to make such a harsh judgement.

Also I think you meant to say that StoryBricks has an interface but their underlying programming and the advanced decision trees will make the AI come alive or fall flat. 

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

More than simply faction. Plenty of MMOs have faction. What we lack is true negative faction and consequences for that standing. 

One of the things I enjoyed about EQ1 (and let me be clear, I didn't like everything about EQ1) was the wide range of interacting factions. Killing one mob would raise your faction with one or more groups and might likewise lower your faction with others.

This led to some very fun, organic, boundaries within the world. My Paladin was eventually Kill On Sight (KoS) in Freeport because of his resistance to the corruption in that city, whilst my 10th level Dark Elf Warrior was able to walk freely among the 30lvl+ Frost Giants of Kael Drakkal because he had the same faction.  In fact, I remember having a low level bard that made it all the way to the 60ish level Skyshrine because he had the rare faction that was the same as the Dragons there.

Faction nowadays is little more than a gating/grinding mechanism, a parallel to xp grinding.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

EQNext is being lauded as a sandbox MMO. I hope they also remember this when creating factions.

As in, they should be all created and led by the players.

I'm fine with some minor factions being NPC based, but all the major powers should be player run.