Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game is for me? Skeptical MMO Vet (long)

2»

Comments

• HEKKRAHEKKRA Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by Mardukk

OP you will likely be forced to play a PvP centered game as they seem to be the only ones with EQ open world (no linear quest hubs).  I 've found myself really enjoying Darkfall UW.  I do tire of the PvP focus but the crafting is great, the PvE is pretty good and the open world feel is really unmatched in the genre.  If you don't like PvP you can typically find some out of the way places and gather or PvE or even stay in the safe zones for some time.

This is the only game that has given me that EQ feel of a big dangerous world that is really fun to explore.

to bad the Developers have a really bad trackrecord of how they treat their customers and how they treat their own game. It wouldn't be wise of advicing a game that needs alot of players where in the game the population is dwindling.

Especially how the Developers abandoned their older game for 2.5+ years to release the monstrosity of what they call DF Unholy wars.

I wish they would just make a type of game like Lineage2. Where grouping was needed. No battleground bullshit. No instancing. Only open world. I miss my Cruma Tower, DVC and ToI. :(

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by HEKKRA

OP you will likely be forced to play a PvP centered game as they seem to be the only ones with EQ open world (no linear quest hubs).  I 've found myself really enjoying Darkfall UW.  I do tire of the PvP focus but the crafting is great, the PvE is pretty good and the open world feel is really unmatched in the genre.  If you don't like PvP you can typically find some out of the way places and gather or PvE or even stay in the safe zones for some time.

This is the only game that has given me that EQ feel of a big dangerous world that is really fun to explore.

to bad the Developers have a really bad trackrecord of how they treat their customers and how they treat their own game. It wouldn't be wise of advicing a game that needs alot of players where in the game the population is dwindling.

Especially how the Developers abandoned their older game for 2.5+ years to release the monstrosity of what they call DF Unholy wars.

I wish they would just make a type of game like Lineage2. Where grouping was needed. No battleground bullshit. No instancing. Only open world. I miss my Cruma Tower, DVC and ToI. :(

Also OP don't listen to bitter DF1 vets.  They want their old game back...it's not coming back, so they will distort DFUW because their feelings are hurt.  I've never encountered a more distorted group than the DF1 people.  Thank god I ignored them and tried DFUW against their wishes.

They need a full forum here on MMORPG for people that are fans of games that don't exist anymore and everyone can sit in there and complain and cry to each other, without screwing with games that are currently out.

• HEKKRAHEKKRA Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by HEKKRA

Also OP don't listen to bitter DF1 vets.  They want their old game back...it's not coming back, so they will distort DFUW because their feelings are hurt.  I've never encountered a more distorted group than the DF1 people.  Thank god I ignored them and tried DFUW against their wishes.

They need a full forum here on MMORPG for people that are fans of games that don't exist anymore and everyone can sit in there and complain and cry to each other, without screwing with games that are currently out.

Don't listen to the UW fanboys. Because of them they destroyed my precious game which was alot better than the current version of the game.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

If you stopped playing EQ at luclin I'd say revisit that as you missed all the best parts of that game. I hear that it died around then even though the highest population was 3-4 years after luclin launch. I played from kunark to DoDH and loved every minute of it. I still play from time to time as the new content is just as good as anything other games are putting out. P1999 is for the hardcore. It took me a year to get to lvl 52. It's especially hard as there aren't many people leveling up between 20-50 so finding people to group with is near impossible. Orc 1 is always full though. You won't be able to do much endgame if thats what you're seeking as one guild controls 90%+ of the spawns through mass text bombs and a hugely unemployed player base.

Anarchy online is very similar to EQ in a lot of ways. Grinding, buffs, gear, lots of classes and places to visit. They are rebuilding the engine for that game which is really exciting. Gameplay wise I still rank it top 5 in the market. 

Other than that it seems you've disliked most everything about MMO's, perhaps try another genre.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by actionreaction
    None of the new, or upcoming MMO's are going to appease a soul who enjoys good community, built on open worlds. Plain and simple. New games don't community building like old games at all. This is why the repetition, you might have enjoyed one time, such as games like UO, AC, SWG, was okay, because you we're having fun with other people, and it actually felt worth it.

I am also an old UO player and been through all of the OP list and then many more. But I think this post has it nailed. Back in UO and EQ you knew who people were even outside of your guild. Housing also meant something you knew your neighbors around you especially in UO.

You could give Eve a try. Steep learning curve though.

Of course it may also be the fact that game makers are just doing the themepark treadmill and Im sick of it myself.

• MuffinSGEMuffinSGE Member Posts: 9
    Starport: Galactic Empires. I know you don't like ghost town games, but since this game only really had about 100 players, it's more of a close-knit community than a ghost-town. Anyways, it's incredible, simply put, and doesn't rely on graphics to be incredibly fun. The developer listens to every concern and adds new patches all the time based upon what the community wants. I play a server called Blitzkrieg, which in my opininion is the most skill-sensitive games ever created. It takes just skill and strategy. No grinding at all. And no auto-aim bull shit. But that's pure PVP. Every other server is a balance between PVP and PVE as you build an empire, and invade others. It's seriously depth-filled, but you can start enjoying it pretty quickly. And with the small player-base, becoming number 1 is actually feasible! And its a huge open galaxy like EVE - the graphics. Its lost its player-base because the admin stopped putting money into advertising. Anyways, I urge you to try it out. My name on there is Muffin, and I like to help new players out. My goal right now is to increase the player base, thus why I'm here. Happy gaming!
  • SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140

So often same old problems I'm facing. I'm old school from Meridian 59, then UO, then EQ1... so on and so on through dozens of other games.

I didn't mind grinding like DAoC and EQ as long as I had the community and friends. I loved to group and still do but so much is based on solo play until max level. Even then often at max level community isn't their with often cross server dungeons, raids, and pvp were being known, having a rep, or having friends doesn't really matter.

I keep breezing through games trying to find one I can enjoy. I find a few games but always feel like I'm playing a single player game with a bunch of trade/raid spam as I level. No one groups, no ones socializes, and social friendly guilds are near dead. Been speeding through DCUO lately and no one seems to group until top level for the most part. No one wants to recruit into guilds unless top level for raiding. Heck, I was yelled at for trying to chit chat and ask questions in general chat....

I'd be happy to stay with DCUO for a bit, or EQ2, or a few other old games if had more socializing and content as you played up in levels.

Its a sad time for real MMORPG gamers who made the genre. We been over run with all the soloist kiddies who just want to show off kewl lewts and be dicks.

• Pin_CushionPin_Cushion Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Syanis

Its a sad time for real MMORPG gamers who made the genre. We been over run with all the soloist kiddies who just want to show off kewl lewts and be dicks.

They could just sticky this at the top of every MMORPG.com forum and save everyone a lot of time.