Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AngryJoe reviews Total War Rome 2 - why you cant trust the big magazines

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Total War Rome 2 just launched, and BOY it is in such a BAD state. Now when I played it, I made a break, I got Europa Universalis 4 and began to wait for SEGA to patch Rome 2. Imagine how stunned I was looking on Metacritic this broken game got all 80ies! I mean, wow... is there no true critical reviewer anymore??

Then I watched Angry Joe reviewing it, and I was kinda be at peace, because... watch yourself how bad the game is. It is really a shame how the big magazines today all give useless reviews, blindly praising "big names" these days. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    i guess i'm fortunate. i just have no troubles with the game. its great and im sure it will get better. mp campaign works great (~round 45, no troubles yet). no fps drops whatsoever. the only (minor) issue are the waiting times in a mp campaign (~3 min) - but then again im no ADD-kiddo.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Though Im not saying one way or another whether I agree with his interview, I think its equally bizarre how at this site its no coincidence that god knows how many posters get all over the reviewers who give a good score to a game they themselves may not like and then link that to the fact that either:

a) They were paid to give a good review.

b) They are in bed with the Developer

c) They gave game X a good review X years ago and that game didn't do as well as they claimed, so that must mean that all future reviews are not credible.

Its such flawed logic that I think forum goers have become just too egocentric.

Just my two cents.

There Is Always Hope!

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Lathan no troubles with the AI being as absolutely stupid as I was seeing?

Im a huge Total War fan. But lately with all the DLC bullcrap I decided to wait, and boy am I glad. It seems like a money grab. Well it is a money grab, they know the state of the game at release but they are going to take peoples money and then fix it later. Its sad when greed compromises integrity.

I still enjoy Rome Total War along with Medieval II Total War. Glad I still have those to play.

Empire wasnt that much fun, and I avoided Shogun II as I heard it was kinda dumbed down and a lot of the strategy went away.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    you got a point there - but AI was always crap till the mods came out. for every total war. so i knew that.
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    I've been saying this before but I say it again... AngryJoe makes the best reviews. Most of the time they are just plain fun to watch - and he really knows what he's talking about. The reviews are honest and his voice can't be bought, no matter how you bribe him. (like in the case of Defiance where Trion brings a patched game client to his homedoor on USB stick).
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

soo true

game at current state is totaly unplayable and if anyone says its is great game hes a blind fanboy

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by Mortemia
    I've been saying this before but I say it again... AngryJoe makes the best reviews. Most of the time they are just plain fun to watch - and he really knows what he's talking about. The reviews are honest and his voice can't be bought, no matter how you bribe him. (like in the case of Defiance where Trion brings a patched game client to his homedoor on USB stick).

His humor is very slapstick sometimes cringe worthy, but I appreciate his videos. Especially the dedication to recording every single bit of gameplay.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I think Creative Assembly got the BioWare Syndrome. It's when your previous games were so good critics praise every piece of crap you make. Look at Dragon Age 2.
  • JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    Originally posted by Jimmac
    I would love the total war games if they could make a good AI for the battlefield combat. Those chumps are so easy to beat. I understand good AI would be very difficult to make for these games, but that's their product and it's a hard sell with sorry AI.

This is what I said a couple weeks ago on these boards in another thread.

It looks like CA has released another Total War game with completely shit AI. Anyone who wastes money on this bullshit before waiting for honest reviews like this deserved to lose their money. Funnily enough, those same people are encouraging this bullshit in the future by blindly supporting the company. Don't want these games to devolve into streamlined hell? Then stop supporting this company when they tear their own franchise down to garbage.

When the next Total War game comes out and still has absolutely shit for AI, guess whose fault it will be? The customers who supported Rome 2.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well i managed to pre-order this for about £25 so was not the end of the world... i was looking forward to it.. but after starting it up on the first day and playing for about an hour.. well i turned it off an went right back to EUIV...

I am not sure if I even want to start it up again... no only was it packed full of bugs, but the AI was just shit.. utter shit..

They would basically charge my melee units with theirs no matter what even getting showered with slings or whtever they are... i say charge but what i mean is slowy walk towards them.. then i would jsut my mounted units and charge them from the rear while they are walking towards my other units.. the monuted units are like tanks in this as well.. they charge through units making them fly half way accross the map.. and chariots are even better at it.. this was on the normal setting for the A.I..

Also the map sucks.. they msut have hired AV do make the UI for them, every thing seems to be a little dumbed down from the older games...

ah lets just hope these patches they are pushing out fix all the issues..

but yeah on no way did it deserve the scores it has been getting... maybe with al lthe bugs fixed a 7.5...

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Imo the important info here is not so much that RTW2 is currently not worth the money (technical issues, dumbed down content, missing features, not working AI) than the info that professional game reviews are useless.

I am not a metacritic fan but when you get a 81% from professional reviews and a 4.0 from user reviews you know there is something wrong. RTW2 doesn't deserve a 81% currently but next to no professional review has the courage to say this.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/total-war-rome-ii

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

When i saw the 1st trailer i tought we would be getting tons of more depth into the game.
    I tought kings and leaders from foe and enemy lands had major impact.
    That we heared rumors of a distand country growing in power so that you needed to send spy's to check what direction they are heading.

I tought the battles would be the most epic involving in any total war game yet.
    That generals would be hero's, they would be legends, they would be you or your family.
    That they would build status and make enemy legions and army tremble when you invade their lands.

But man this game is a total joke, i dint buy it, i dont buy my pc games before testing them illigal.
    When i like it i BUY it afterwards.
    And with good reasons.

Most magazines are payed whores of studio's giving a 9 or 9.5 to the most worse developt games ever.
    Like we have seen again with scores given ranging from as high to 9.5 to an 8 while this game should have been burned down to the ground.

Angry Joe hit the nail on the head with his revieuw.
    I coulnt have said it better.

This abomination deserves a 5.0 tops.

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Elikal

Total War Rome 2 just launched, and BOY it is in such a BAD state. Now when I played it, I made a break, I got Europa Universalis 4 and began to wait for SEGA to patch Rome 2. Imagine how stunned I was looking on Metacritic this broken game got all 80ies! I mean, wow... is there no true critical reviewer anymore??

Then I watched Angry Joe reviewing it, and I was kinda be at peace, because... watch yourself how bad the game is. It is really a shame how the big magazines today all give useless reviews, blindly praising "big names" these days. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a

AJ is the man, no doubt about it.

I fear for the Warhammer title that they are making now.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I have encountered a few bugs but nothing game breaking. Who the f*** is Angry Joe and why should I care about his opinions btw?
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by Piiritus
    I have encountered a few bugs but nothing game breaking. Who the f*** is Angry Joe and why should I care about his opinions btw?

This guy give's us honest revieuws in his own style without being on the payroll.
    You can bet that if a game has issues this man will show them to you without hesitation.
    if the game is good then he is all over it.

In short term this man in one of the few who brings you gaming revieuws of mmo's and games witha twist but almost 100% accurate.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Originally posted by Piiritus

This guy give's us honest revieuws in his own style without being on the payroll.
    You can bet that if a game has issues this man will show them to you without hesitation.
    if the game is good then he is all over it.

In short term this man in one of the few who brings you gaming revieuws of mmo's and games witha twist but almost 100% accurate.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I agree that game sites and their reviews are all about advertising.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It's not only the crappy AI. And stuff that ONCE worked is suddenly a clusterfuck! Like those armies who form BIG BLOBS and all formations entirely dissolve as soon as they meet! That's a step back from the past! In Napoleon and Shogun formations worked. And battles took 30-45 minutes as average and NOW the average battle takes 5 minutes.

FIVE MINUTES!

For a grand battle strategy? Hello???

There are so many features Shogun had and were ripped away. Why? Ingame Scenes, family tree, diplomacy... all away.

Or those hilarious boring maps! 90% of the time I fight on the always same open city or the same open plain! No interesting features, no various maps. It is always the same! That is THE most vital part of the game, and I get TWO different (boring) maps? It's like the recycled warehouse of City of Heroes!

And on top of all they have the audacity to rip off a faction and sell it for another 8 Dollar. For a faction that is ALREADY IN THE GAME!

Sorry but.... I wrote some angry mails to my websites of (former) favor how they could review this crap with 9 of 10. Like IGN with 88 and the German Gamestar with 9 of 10. As it is now the game is 5 or 6 of 10, as AJ says. I find it a scandal how BAD reviewers are these days, actively misleading the customers.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    IMO the most ridiculous part of this mess is that the only major publication that gave this game a low rating is Guardian, which isn't a gaming magazine. So, there you go. Non-gaming magazines rate games better than gaming magazines.
  • TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Anyone got any comments on the soundtrack for Rome 2? I tend to look forward to the soundtracks of the TW series than the actual games.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I spilled my drink when he showed tidbits of the interview with the battlefield AI programmer and the fail gameplay footage in between lol. So I guess they did a SimCity.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Elikal
    Total War Rome 2 just launched, and BOY it is in such a BAD state. Now when I played it, I made a break, I got Europa Universalis 4 and began to wait for SEGA to patch Rome 2. Imagine how stunned I was looking on Metacritic this broken game got all 80ies! I mean, wow... is there no true critical reviewer anymore??Then I watched Angry Joe reviewing it, and I was kinda be at peace, because... watch yourself how bad the game is. It is really a shame how the big magazines today all give useless reviews, blindly praising "big names" these days. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8

I dont have the game myself but ive kind of hearing from minute to minute in last week from launch from friend on skype, when he was playing how bad this game was compare to older versions and what problems it had, and he payed 55euro's for it. His pc is high end but game is so broken.

Sega was in old days my favorite specially on dreamcast but those days are LONG GONE.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by someforumguy

I spilled my drink when he showed tidbits of the interview with the battlefield AI programmer and the fail gameplay footage in between lol. So I guess they did a SimCity.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Not really a surprise

"Motivating" Magazines to give good reviews is a viable and as far as I can see a good marketing tactic.

Not only you get to boost your sales from the "sheep" masses but most of the fallout of fake reviews go to the actual reviewing magazines.

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    This is why I want to join the Angry Army

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by lathaan
    i guess i'm fortunate. i just have no troubles with the game. its great and im sure it will get better. mp campaign works great (~round 45, no troubles yet). no fps drops whatsoever. the only (minor) issue are the waiting times in a mp campaign (~3 min) - but then again im no ADD-kiddo.

Completed a legendary campaign yesterday with Rome and had no major issues bar some minor bugs during battles. But nothing game breaking here. Though I only really play single player so cannot comment on the state of multiplay. I do sympathize for others that have been having issues though. Been having a blast personally.