Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how bad is the combat?

1235»

Comments

• Hitman211Hitman211 Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64

I think people who complain about the longer global cooldown are people who don't know how to play properly and usually get away with spamming one or two skills in their game of choice. i.e baddies.

Don't be a baddie. Accept the combat for what it is and enjoy the game once you learn to play.

I'm pretty sure I can say the same about people like you that prefer WoW style combat that was invented in a time when broadband internet was a luxury :))) 

Pretty sure you can't keep up with top players in any action-combat MMO regardless of what buttons you mash up. It's not just the buttons my friend. There is this thing called precaution, risk, reflexes and skill. A thing that FFXIV lacks. But hey ... you always have a healer to back you up when you mess up ^_^ 

Just don't play it pro on the forums :) Pretty sure having something like a combo or build synergy is something lightyears ahead of you. I get it i get it. You just go out there, farm/craft the best tier of armor, the best tier of weapons and you punch yourself hard in the chest claiming you are the bestest and how everyone else should learn to play

Aaaand in ~6 months you are back to the gear treadmill.

Have fun bro :) Peace.

Not everyone hates endgame pve like this, so long as its challenging.

Anyway some would rather be doing the gear treadmill in 6 months rather than hunting for another mmo in 2 months.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by MMOHO

is it like TSW bad? 

TSW bad COMPARED to FF?? Wow , I wish you personally try to play .... worst combat ever (for mmo and pc world for sure). And coming from FF lover mainly from Ps2. Even have two copies, 1.0 and have even purchased ARR. What a disappointmet. Stopped to play after few days ... simply can not force myself to return,. The only thing that is great is environment including weather changes and day/night cycle. All the rest ... again, never have been so much disappointed. And would be even without zillion of problems at start when game for majority was completely unplayable.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Torcip

Well, it's a Final Fantasy game and teh combat is modeled after Final Fantasy games as to be expected.  If you don't like Final Fantasy game combat then you probably won't like this combat because that is what they were going for.  Every Final Fantasy numbered game has "turn" based combat, if it doesn't they don't give it a number.

And it nothing like TSW combat, nor does the 2.5 second cooldown stay 2.5 seconds or even apply to all abilities. Something that also offsets the cooldown is that abilities have pretty long cast times compared to instant hitting abilities of other MMOs, this is because interrupts are a big part of the combat as likely will be a big part of PvP.

Khm, you forget small difference, they wanted to make MMO(!). Do you really think this is possible with MMO? They would do much better to stay in their area of expertise.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Hitman211

I think people who complain about the longer global cooldown are people who don't know how to play properly and usually get away with spamming one or two skills in their game of choice. i.e baddies.

Don't be a baddie. Accept the combat for what it is and enjoy the game once you learn to play.

I'm pretty sure I can say the same about people like you that prefer WoW style combat that was invented in a time when broadband internet was a luxury :))) 

Pretty sure you can't keep up with top players in any action-combat MMO regardless of what buttons you mash up. It's not just the buttons my friend. There is this thing called precaution, risk, reflexes and skill. A thing that FFXIV lacks. But hey ... you always have a healer to back you up when you mess up ^_^ 

Just don't play it pro on the forums :) Pretty sure having something like a combo or build synergy is something lightyears ahead of you. I get it i get it. You just go out there, farm/craft the best tier of armor, the best tier of weapons and you punch yourself hard in the chest claiming you are the bestest and how everyone else should learn to play

Anyway some would rather be doing the gear treadmill in 6 months rather than hunting for another mmo in 2 months.

You are right. Some..that is how many actively raid. While rest leave for green pastures in droves.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Hitman211

Well people like that seriously lack things called loyalty and respect. I'm loyal and I respect my MMO of a choice for about an year now and I don't miss a chance to get in and play a bit solo or with friends :) I like the fact that if I do not log for a month for 1 reason or another (life, work, holidays etc) I wouldn't be last in every chart. On the contrary ;) There is no "the server is too far ahead for me to catch up" feeling as I used to have in Lineage 2. Which btw is a perfect game for people like you really

P.S: I pay no subscription fees, beside the internet connection :) 

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Is the combat good or bad....hm.....that is a rather personal question. Do you like apples or pears more?

I can't answer this question for you, it all depends on your taste. Myself? I find the combat quiet nice.

- The animations look really nice.

- The classes i played had a real punch too it. TSW felt lacking in power, melee felt like swinging your sword trough the air hitting nothing at all. So to answer that part, yes it feel much better.

- It's nothing new or innovating, yet it feels like coming home after a nice vacation. I enjoy real time combat like in Tera and NWN Online. But in those games it feels as if its only about that and often the combat feels way too easy. In F14 i return home to how i started with MMO's but upgraded slightly.

- There is more strategy involved as others mentioned. I play as the Lancer and some attacks need to be in the flanks or behind a enemy. This is no problem when fighting in a group and you have a tank, but when alone during quests you have to wait for the right moment before you can use those attacks. Waiting for the enemy to cast/charge a attack before you can strike with your flanking attacks.

Is the combat good or bad? Both, if you expect a great new innovative combat system or a fast paced real time action combat system you will probably find it bad. If you don't mind the familiar old school combat system many MMO's have then you feel quiet at home and perhaps find it even good if you like the animations, the feel of the attack and the strategy involved.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Yes, it's horrible.....

Is he gone yet?