Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Never Perfect at Launch

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It's hard to believe that it's already been a year since the launch of Guild Wars 2. In our latest column devoted to ArenaNet's magnum opus, we take a look at all of the vast improvements in the game since launch. Check it out and then tell us if we missed any in the comments.

Guild Wars 2 didn’t have a whole lot of connection issues at launch, but it did have some major bugs floating around causing some mischief.  For example, many dynamic events could start, but near the middle the NPCs would stop moving, making the event impossible to complete.  Even the powerful dragons would glitch, making them immune to all player damage.  All your efforts to obtain precious experience and loot was wasted.  Some zones saw more glitched than others, and even if a player was lucky enough only experience the bugs once or twice, it was enough to make some of those players quit.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Never Perfect at Launch.

Throwing your computer out of a window, the new way to rage quit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    I have to agree with your write up A-net has been good on how they fix the issues and what not. They have in almost every patch had fixes for something and even snuck alot in on some with out saying anything. I Still play alot and enjoy just traveling the world knowing that the problems of yesterday are gone and that tomorrow brings new stuff to the game.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• spaniard81spaniard81 Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by nolic1
    I have to agree with your write up A-net has been good on how they fix the issues and what not. They have in almost every patch had fixes for something and even snuck alot in on some with out saying anything. I Still play alot and enjoy just traveling the world knowing that the problems of yesterday are gone and that tomorrow brings new stuff to the game.

Agreed.

Most of the issues we had at launch, and a couple of weeks following launch are all gone. Anet has done a great job in fixing themselves up and continuously providing a wonderful game for such a low cost comparatively. I'm playing the game as much as I can and am looking forward to many years of gameplay.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Errrm ... game had flaws in the early access. Most bugs were cleared out on time for release (3 days later). The game was stable afterwards with just a few glitches that were fixed within a month. Wish all game devs were like ANet. Those devs pulled night shift and had no respect for weekends. They worked their ass off. Full respect to the boys and girls at ANet. That's how you make a MMO 
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    ^^ +1. Considering issues with culling and wvw performance (cannot be fixed the moaners declared here) issues with grouping, and all the extra content, they have done damn five and proved you DO NOT have to be a greedy with subs to maintained a quality mmo.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    The problem with the game isn't the technical issues. It's their utter defiance towards adding new content that actually stays in the game. A year later we still have nothing worth playing past the vanilla content.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    problem with lost shores was not the culling mind you, was too many players and the huge lag spikes
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by alkarionlog
    problem with lost shores was not the culling mind you, was too many players and the huge lag spikes

plus the free trial that happened same weekend

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Destai
    The problem with the game isn't the technical issues. It's their utter defiance towards adding new content that actually stays in the game. A year later we still have nothing worth playing past the vanilla content.

I'm sorry, but what?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

At this point in the games life, culling has been address in WvW, and players flocked to it make the battles even more epic and interesting.

Yup, release to production first and then worry about addressing all the bugs.  I hate people that accept mediocre products like they're just a fact of life.

As a society, we need to set expectations higher, not write about how people should accept broken and buggy products.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

Lol the sneaky devs put new content into the code shredder as soon as they can because it makes them feel powerful evidently :p

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Mediocre, compared to what exactly pip? The issue is the modern ride impatient instant gratification crowd. Pc game players have known there is a trade of when you want a game to release early, the trick is being able to turn things around quickly. Gogo look up 'agile development'. And then go lookup waterfall (aka Diablo 3 for example)

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by RizelStar

I'm sorry, but what?

I don't think what he said was that complicated to understand. ANet really hasn't added any "lasting" content. Most of it has been temporary, which for a lot of players is a big turnoff.  Also their living story is repetitive and boring. It's no wonder people love the Adventure Box! It's a change of pace from what's usually added for updates in GW2.

Smile

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Razeekster

I'm sorry, but what?

I don't think what he said was that complicated to understand. ANet really hasn't added any "lasting" content. Most of it has been temporary, which for a lot of players is a big turnoff.  Also their living story is repetitive and boring. It's no wonder people love the Adventure Box! It's a change of pace from what's usually added for updates in GW2.

Fractals

Southsun Shore

40+ dynamic events

An overhaul of AC

Scarlet's invasions

New sPvP maps

Weapon and armor skins and maybe some other stuff I forgot

Sure, a large part of the content was temporary, but do "we still have nothing worth playing past the vanilla content"? No, we have a lot. Besides, outside of Southsun, the new content is as good as or better than vanilla content.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

Played it for 2 months then gone, hardcore pvper here and it's not my game. Culling taking that long to fix, overall wvwvw lag In general, removal without fix of orbs, and removal without fix of dolyak rewards was enough to seal the deal for me.

Just too casual aimed.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I'm sorry, but what?

Again, what?

Edited - Oh okay was waiting for some truth to be said, thanks Scalpess, I wasn't sure if we where all talking about the same game maybe it was a confusion between Guild Wars 1 and 2 and they where talking about 1, but then I saw the SAB mention which confused me even more.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    Althought Anet proved their worth back in the beginning days of the early beta stages of GW1, can't help but notice they are still leading the way for other game devs to follow!!! Thanks Anet I love your pvp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Mediocre, compared to what exactly pip? The issue is the modern ride impatient instant gratification crowd. Pc game players have known there is a trade of when you want a game to release early, the trick is being able to turn things around quickly. Gogo look up 'agile development'. And then go lookup waterfall (aka Diablo 3 for example)

No qualifier necessary to call something "mediocre". Mediocre means "mediocre", as in "not exceptional", and that can be determined on the merits of the product itself, no comparison required.

Also, in your response, you're basically demonstrating exactly what they're getting at.

People have become so complacent and accepting about paying full price for unfinished/buggy products, that someone stepping up and saying "enough is enough" is labeled as "impatient instant gratification".

So, though you intended to refute what they said, you succeeded only in demonstrating it.

Tell me, when you go to the store and buy a product - be it food, clothing or any other product - would you be okay with it if they came back with an incomplete product, or something that otherwise didn't work as it was supposed to once you got it home? If they said "Oh, yeah, there's a fix for that, but it's still in production. We'll get it to you when it's ready", would you consider it "impatient instant gratification" to say 'uh, no that's not okay. I paid for a product as advertised"? I'm betting you wouldn't. I'm betting most wouldn't.

So, why is it then okay when a game developer does the same thing?

• galphargalphar Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Still playing and still loving it. Only thing I wish they'd finally fix is the Ranger pets and their pathing and the lack of group support that the Ranger has.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    PvP is still a balance wreck.
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I'm sorry, but what?

Again, what?

Edited - Oh okay was waiting for some truth to be said, thanks Scalpess, I wasn't sure if we where all talking about the same game maybe it was a confusion between Guild Wars 1 and 2 and they where talking about 1, but then I saw the SAB mention which confused me even more.

Hey, sorry for not getting back to this sooner. I should have been more detailed, but I was at work and couldn't devote much to the topic at hand. For that I apologize. My point was that the technical issues pale in comparison to the lack of content. They're certainly being addressed sooner and communicated by ArenaNet in a better fashion. I'd hope a year later they'd have added more content. They've added some quality of life features and adding a few more later this year. Some of those features should have been in at launch. 

I understand that many people are miffed at the troubles of the FF-XIV launch, but those are short terms as so many technical issues are in these games. The real problem this game, and others, face is content. 

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Ayulin,
    There is nothing to be complacent about. This is not CoD. A game as large and complex as MMOs will always have issues at launch. Its the price we pay for the games we choose. There has been no MMO in history that ever launched without its fair share of bugs and problems. In fact, GW2 launch is one of the better ones. You must be new to MMOs.

Again, an MMO is not CoD. The game is never finished until the last server is shut off. The only thing that happens is that it reaches a point where you can start letting people come in and play.

No developer can afford the man power it would take to squash every bug. They have beta tests, but those are still mostly for squashing the large bugs before the game launches. It takes time to find that one small bug in that one event in that one zone that happens only some of the time.

Again, its not being complacent. Its being understanding of the type of genre we are playing. As long as the developers respond in a timely manner, then there is nothing to worry about.

And whether you choose to believe it or not, the condition of the world at launch nowadays is much better than it was in the early days of MMOs. Its gotten a lot better, but you are never going to have a perfect launch without problems, especially as games continue to grow more complex

TL;DR if you are expecting absolute perfect launches of an MMO, or any complex game, you should pick a new hobby. You are only going to be disappointed by reality.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I am still waiting for features to be added that will make GW2 more of a MMO. It still lacks activities next to combat. Crafting is just the same typical node grind like in most MMO's.

My main petpeeve about GW2 is the playerculling in cities. It prevents GW2 from having holiday events like they had in GW1. Sure, the holiday pve content and the pvp gimmicks are fun, but if it takes so long for players to show up on your screen when roaming the cities, it just messes with my immersion. Floating names are just annoying. All the socializing in cities during holiday events are LFG LFG LFG LFG. There is just no reason to stand around and socialize if all the holiday event is about filling some achievement bar.

No guildhalls yet? Playerhousing? Atm, it feels more like a game where you do combat to fill achievement bars. All the MMO's that had a long lasting appeal to me, had activities next to combat.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Someforumguy: there are minigames in. Player culling in PvE is gone. LFG was implemented with this last update(or the next one).
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by bookworm438
    Someforumguy: there are minigames in. Player culling in PvE is gone. LFG was implemented with this last update(or the next one).

The loading of players in cities is still very very slow. You still see floating names long before players load. And you don't have to move far for them to disappear again. I don't have this problem in any other MMO (except Dragon's Nest, where I thought it was highly annoying too. But then, cities in that game are just basically a lobby for instances) or in PVE areas in GW2 for that matter.

Even GW1 had guildhalls where we gathered before starting a GvG match or some PVE. Places like that are perfect, also when some of the group want to take a break and the rest stays to chat in the mean time. Sideactivities and places owned by players or guilds, are what sets a MMO apart from lobby games to me.

In GW2, guilds are nothing but a chatchannel and some extra achievement bars. Maybe being able to join multiple guilds wasn't such a good idea for this reason either. The socializing in GW2 is almost non existant except for the very business like LFG. In this aspect it almost feels like a LoL lobbygame or some game like that. But maybe this is the way that most MMO players approach a MMO nowadays.  I do realise that I am talking about my preference here.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.