Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Sleep System To Limit Daily Playtime to 8-10 Hours?

Comments

• seacow1gseacow1g Savannah, GAPosts: 254Member
    Originally posted by muffins89
    a lot of games already offer this in the form of parental controls.

You're focusing on the health part. Parental controls do nothing to fix pacing, pressure to overplay,  gold farming etc. The average MMO players are not children, they are adults and do not benefit from parental controls at all.....unless their husbands/wives are using it on them.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Posts: 5,316Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by seacow1g

You're focusing on the health part. Parental controls do nothing to fix pacing, pressure to overplay,  gold farming etc. The average MMO players are not children, they are adults and do not benefit from parental controls at all.....unless their husbands/wives are using it on them.

Time limits won't fix pressure to play, neither will it fix farming bots... it will increase it because time is now a valuable commodity.  If you want to get rid of that stuff you have to make things so common that it is pointless.

Fix gold farming by making loot so numerous, or so worthless that there is no point to farming.  Like CoH before the whatever the architect came in.  There was buff drops but they were so common it was worthless.

Get rid of leveling pressure by making leveling so long it is pointless to even try and get to cap, or get rid of leveling completely.

The only way to get rid of them is to make them worthless, not more valuable.

Make

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Time limits won't fix pressure to play, neither will it fix farming bots... it will increase it because time is now a valuable commodity.  If you want to get rid of that stuff you have to make things so common that it is pointless.

Fix gold farming by making loot so numerous, or so worthless that there is no point to farming.  Like CoH before the whatever the architect came in.  There was buff drops but they were so common it was worthless.

Get rid of leveling pressure by making leveling so long it is pointless to even try and get to cap, or get rid of leveling completely.

Make

We argued this before, your argument does not convince me. Let's agree to disagree.

The only thing we can agree on is that it would be very unpopular and an xp system might work and be more acceptable.

• TheHavokTheHavok San Jose, CAPosts: 2,398Member Uncommon

Serious question: Have you ever thought to yourself, what if you put those restrictions on other forms of entertainment?  Lets say... watching TV, streaming youtube, using your Ipad, and playing your music. 

Now lets think how subtle these forms of entertainment can be in the background.  You can have them on but, ehhh, they aren't a distraction.  Well how people spend time in an MMO is similar to these forms of entertainment.  People can be logged in but may have multiple computers or monitors up and the game off to the side while they are focused on something else.

Its no big deal.  Just don't infringe on how other people like to play their game.

Originally posted by TheHavok

Serious question: Have you ever thought to yourself, what if you put those restrictions on other forms of entertainment?  Lets say... watching TV, streaming youtube, using your Ipad, and playing your music. 

Now lets think how subtle these forms of entertainment can be in the background.  You can have them on but, ehhh, they aren't a distraction.  Well how people spend time in an MMO is similar to these forms of entertainment.  People can be logged in but may have multiple computers or monitors up and the game off to the side while they are focused on something else.

Its no big deal.  Just don't infringe on how other people like to play their game.

Here's the problem, you're likening MMORPG's to other forms of entertaining and even other genres. In my premise I explained that at their core MMORPG's are very different from other kinds of entertainments. It's competitive, it's persistent and you never stop getting stronger till you hit some form of cap. This has a huge influence on  both the game world and how we play it. I would never consider these measures for any other kind of entertainment nor genre. That is my premise. But I can understand how easy it is to ignore this premise when freedom is involved. It's like a huge neon light that draws attention away from the reasons I bring it up in the first place.

Make

We argued this before, your argument does not convince me. Let's agree to disagree.

The only thing we can agree on is that it would be very unpopular and an xp system might work and be more acceptable.

No comments on my suggestions though?

I can at least give an example.  CoH.  They actually did this and there was no farming for loot.

Make

No comments on my suggestions though?

I can at least give an example.  CoH.  They actually did this and there was no farming for loot.

Ok, well I don't like making loot feel worthless. It may improve how the players play but it would make the game feel less fun. Playing a game in a very moderately controlled way does not ruin the fun. Most people would hardly ever notice it, like hardly ever. But the consequences of design like making loot feel worthless would be felt every single gameplay moment.

The loot in CoH wasn't useless it was very very usefull, but it was aslo very common.  Every one wanted and needed them all the time, and they were always getting them.

It did not harm the fun, in fact many say it accentuated the fun.

CoH was just a bit too repetitive in the other areas.

I don't see a way where you could have loot/coin be valuable and wanted and somewhat restricted as well without having farming.  The two seem contradictory.

• someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,539Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Arclan

I am a fan of restrictions that limit how fast players can level.

You may have gotten more "yes" votes if you worded it differently, rather than specifying 8-10 hours a day as the max. A player may not have been able to logon all week; and wants to pull an all nighter on the weekend.

Diminishing returns is another option; or an xp curve:

xp boost during the first 5 hours of the week.
    normal xp for 5 to 40 hours.
    diminished xp after 40 hours.

Fixed xp per mob and having a max of 24hrs in a day already places a restriction how fast you can lvl in every MMO :p

As for the OP, I don't agree with any system where a MMO company plays mum and dad for you. One reason is that I don't like to be pampered like that by companies , the other reason is purely practical. Whatever arbitrary progression restriction you put in the game, there will always be some playstyles hurt more then otheres.

Also, diminishing return systems always give problems, either in some situations they kick in too early, or sometimes there are work arounds.. Or even worse, if they have a fixed daily reset. Which mainly hurts players who play at certain times.

• winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon
     Sometimes in life one can't force another not to kill themselves. its not always societys responsibility to keep people alive that have self destructive impulses. Sure we can use all our resources trying to keep some people alive that that are either incapable or don't care to help themselves but then its also kind of natural for the gene pool to weed out those that don't want to live or are incapable of learning how to stay alive.
    Originally posted by someforumguy

You may have gotten more "yes" votes if you worded it differently, rather than specifying 8-10 hours a day as the max. A player may not have been able to logon all week; and wants to pull an all nighter on the weekend.

Fixed xp per mob and having a max of 24hrs in a day already places a restriction how fast you can lvl in every MMO :p

That statement would make sense if not for that fact that MMO's are not designed to be played 24 hours a day. They design it so people can play moderate hours (6-10) and keep up with the content. Even the most hardcore and grindy ones are designed this way. If you designed the content to be so lengthy and time consuming that you had to play at the max exp gain (24/7 mob grinding) constantly to be competitive then it would be impossibly costly, no one would keep up and people would not just hurt their health they'd literally die.

I would say the opposite.  MMO's are designed to be played 24 hours a day.  Some content in them may run out but there is many other content that can be repeated ad nauseum e.g. grinding camps in every game, years long skill/class systems (Eve, UO, Istaria).

I'd say that is the major draw of an MMO, a world that is open 24 hours a day, that still exists waiting to be played even when your not there.

The loot in CoH wasn't useless it was very very usefull, but it was aslo very common.  Every one wanted and needed them all the time, and they were always getting them.

I don't see a way where you could have loot/coin be valuable and wanted and somewhat restricted as well without having farming.  The two seem contradictory.

I like your suggestion. But for me personally , this only works if the rest of the content makes up for it in other ways. A good story, or gameplay with a lot of replayability (being able to adapt builds to combat etc, sandbox features).

But unfortunately there seem to be a lot of players who really want loot to be rare, so it becomes an 'achievement' to obtain something. Which I personally never understood, because I prefer to look for challenges in combat or creation. Farming like crazy for a random chance drop, might be a challenge for my patience, but I don't play games for that reason and certainly wouldn't see it as an achievement.

Anyway, so many MMO players are fixed on the carrot on a stick progression now. They want slow long levelling and rare random chance drops. Story or other activities are not that important, only slow character progression is.

I also agree with your last sentence. Any time restriction in a game where loot/coin is valuable causes efficient farming methods and bots to pop up.

I would say the opposite.  MMO's are designed to be played 24 hours a day.  Some content in them may run out but there is many other content that can be repeated ad nauseum e.g. grinding camps in every game, years long skill/class systems (Eve, UO, Istaria).

I'd say that is the major draw of an MMO, a world that is open 24 hours a day, that still exists waiting to be played even when your not there.

This is just not true. They may be designed to be played 24 hours a day till you run out of stuff to do but if you constantly play it like that you most definitely WILL. The fact that they put caps on stuff and regulate exp gains, put boss timers or lockouts etc. specifically indicates that they are built to be played within a certain range of paces. Giving each individual player a limit does not mean the world stops existing, it just means individual players HAVE to rest at some point. Just like they do in real life. That's way more realistic. The mere fact that a character can be played by more than one person makes no fatigue system less realistic. And places pressures on both the players playstyle (feel like they have to grind to the point where there IS a cap) and the economy.

This is just not true. They may be designed to be played 24 hours a day till you run out of still to do but if you constantly play it like that you most definitely WILL. The fact that they put caps on stuff and regulate exp gains, put boss timers or lockouts etc. specifically indicates that they are built to be played within a certain range of paces. Giving each individual player a limit does not mean the world stops existing, it just means individual players HAVE to rest at some point. Just like they do in real life. That's way more realistic. The mere fact that a character can be played by more than one person makes no fatigue system less realistic. And places pressures on both the players playstyle (feel like they have to grind to the point where there IS a cap) and the economy.

The human body isn't designed to do anything that long but games definately are. 

All those things you mentioned are true and do stop people from advancing however there are other things that are done basically forever, again years long training in Eve, UO and Istaria, mob grinding for years on end. 

Face it, content as in themeparks does need to have limits, sandbox or very long slow content in the past could be done forever.  They were, and are still running so still are, designed so they can be played 24 hours a day. 

Pressure is only of the players choosing and completely within their control

I also agree with your last sentence. Any time restriction in a game where loot/coin is valuable causes efficient farming methods and bots to pop up.

I wanna focus on this statement. More efficient farming methods and bots would not pop up. They already seek the most efficient farming methods possible. The difference is they can farm around the clock while players cant. The more you make the farming habits similar between the two the less difference in wealth the two can acquire. Sure bot/farmer can farm more efficiently than a player that hasn't learned to farm efficiently. But they can't farm much better than a player that HAS learned to farm efficiently.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Jackson, MIPosts: 924Member

This is just not true. They may be designed to be played 24 hours a day till you run out of stuff to do but if you constantly play it like that you most definitely WILL. The fact that they put caps on stuff and regulate exp gains, put boss timers or lockouts etc. specifically indicates that they are built to be played within a certain range of paces. Giving each individual player a limit does not mean the world stops existing, it just means individual players HAVE to rest at some point. Just like they do in real life. That's way more realistic. The mere fact that a character can be played by more than one person makes no fatigue system less realistic. And places pressures on both the players playstyle (feel like they have to grind to the point where there IS a cap) and the economy.

Man, in my opinion you have posted an awful lot in your short time here- Plus long posts at that...

I am worried about your eye sight and health- Plus I feel pressured to post just as much so my opinion holds weight.

In the spirit of your argument , how about we limit ourselves to 1 post per day in this thread.

EDIT And limit the words also.

I wanna focus on this statement. More efficient farming methods and bots would not pop up. They already seek the most efficient farming methods possible. The difference is they can farm around the clock while players cant. The more you make the farming habits similar between the two the less difference in wealth the two can acquire. Sure bot/farmer can farm more efficiently than a player that has learned to farm efficiently. But they can't farm much better than a player that HAS learned to farm efficiently.

But most people don't farm.  IF you try and limit how long they can play, they WILL feel more pressure and thus there WILL be more farming.

You increased the pressure, totally the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.  Limiting the time does not limit the desire. The only way to limit it is to limit the desire for it.

That statement would make sense if not for that fact that MMO's are not designed to be played 24 hours a day. They design it so people can play moderate hours (6-10) and keep up with the content. Even the most hardcore and grindy ones are designed this way. If you designed the content to be so lengthy and time consuming that you had to play at the max exp gain (24/7 mob grinding) constantly to be competitive then it would be impossibly costly, no one would keep up and people would not just hurt their health they'd literally die.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Being able to keep up with the content? What do you mean with that? It vanishes if you are not fast enough? And PVE competitive?

I guess if you play a MMO with that kind of mindset and are not able to restrain yourself from playing an unhealthy amount of hours per day, that the last thing you should expect, is for the MMO company to take care of you. I think it would be better if someone like that just stops playing MMO's untill he/she learns to be less addicted to it. You are describing a real problem there, something that only the player and people around the player can deal with. The MMO company will never be able to check if some player is taking care of himself in a good way.

Originally posted by Jacxolope

Man, in my opinion you have posted an awful lot in your short time here- Plus long posts at that...

I am worried about your eye sight and health- Plus I feel pressured to post just as much so my opinion holds weight.

In the spirit of your argument , how about we limit ourselves to 1 post per day in this thread.

Lol, I'm posting while I watch the football game. I don't post all day long. As for the length what can I say....I type fast?

Lol, I'm posting while I watch the football game. I don't post all day long. As for the length what can I say....I type fast?

LOL- You dont see the irony?

I play MMOs while listening to audiobooks or the news or chatting on vent ir skype =P

I play MMOs while listening to audiobooks or the news or chatting on vent ir skype =P

I don't see any irony at all. The psychology associated with playing MMORPG's is very different than any other form of entertainment. This football game has an end time. As does this discussion (the point where people stop making any sense).

Yesterday my character was logged into Istaria for prolly 14 hours but only played for maybe 5 between movies, family, going out... just didn't bother to log out.

edit - you didn't get the irony.

I don't see any irony at all. The psychology associated with playing MMORPG's is very different than any other form of entertainment. This football game has an end time. As does this discussion (the point where people stop making any sense).

Thats someones own choice.

Its people like you who fight to keep Cannbis illegal lol... I am all about freedom. Not everyone is the same. Just because SOME people have issues with something doesnt mean we should all have to pay the price.

-Thats the crux.

If someone has problems- They are not mine. Dont play MMOs then.

EDIT Also Football- Lots of lives ruined gambling on it- Lots of peolpe playing fantasy Football at my work (hurts production) lots of problems associated for some people around that sport. I say BAN IT because some people Gamble on it and its a huge moneymaker for organized crime- Hurts fare more lives than MMOs (in scope) so....

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Winthrop Harbor, ILPosts: 732Member

I don't think the OP fully understands how unwelcoming it makes a paying customer feels when you deny them service with baseless justification like a company feeling like you are playing their product a little too much. Then it becomes a question of what exactly is too much and that's just an endless discussion in itself.

I hate to pull this but controlling and rationing time played for someone else is un-American. I would rather not allow an institution control what I can or cannot do. Plus if you took a survey of everyone's average play time per day, it would probably be much lower than you think.

As I stated before, not everyone is playing to extreme amounts so there aren't any real justifications to restrict play time for anyone anyway. You would just outcast a small group of players that actually love playing these types of games and I don't feel its right to scapegoat anyone because if a game actually did implement time restrictions, it would ONLY affect the hardcore gamers and most people wouldn't even feel its impact. Picking on a particular group to me sounds unfair as much as I dislike the hardcore elite. This thread appears to be targetting them specifically.