Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeon GRINDER for Tokens: Let the gear grind games begin!

time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

Just an fyi post for those wondering what happens after 50:

You grind a starter dungeon doing speed runs for 50 tokens a pop.  the starter dungeon can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour/90 minutes (if you even finish it) depending on if people aggro mobs while the tank is speed running and gathering all the mobs to die in the boss room.

Gear costs like 375 - 1325 tokens per piece, in the end, it'll cost like 3500 tokens for a full set of armor, then 375 for each jewelry piece.  You can use the gear that drops in dungeons, its like level 55, but the starter token gear is 70 I think. 

You can do other things, like the 2nd dungeon, ifrit or garuda and other things BUT if you use dungeon finder, chances are the group you get won't be geared well enough for anything but the starter dungeon.  I mean it really takes just one weak player to take down a 4 or 8 man pug.

Lots of players blow their LB at the wrong time, or get aoe'd and it wipes the group, and people rage quit.  So as of right now a lot of players aren't geared or learned enough to beat anything but the starter dungeon.

So, unless you have a circle of 4-8 friends or a guild that is 50, you will be grinding the starter dungeon over and over for like 120+ plus times to get the tokens you need. 

Good luck!

EDIT: yes ifrit and garuda can be beat with a PUG but if you are trying to farm tokens with PUGS, those harder dungeons are a bad idea right now, and for efficiencies sake you will get too many wipes, and fail and possibly not get any tokens, vs just grinding the starter dungeon.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

Comments

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

First, people complain that dungeons are too easy in the beginning then complain that dungeons are too hard at the end. People get angry that their is no LFG tool and now people are complaining that LFG tool pairs you up with people of random skill levels.  

.. and why are you surprised at dungeon tokens?  Do you prefer RNG? All mmorpgs use them, including guild wars 2 (the most innovative mmorpg to grace the earth /sarcasm). 

we already get it from your previous threads that you rushed to lvl 50 as fast as possible and are burned out because you dont find anything else in mmorpgs fun except rushing to endgame. Can you just give it a rest already? 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Its copying WOW dungeon gear treadmill so no surprise there. I stopped playing at 50 because i am done with gear grinding.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    The endgame of all MMO's is a gear grind. Even in open pvp games you are typically fighting over a resource that pertains to gear. 
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Originally posted by Utinni
    The endgame of all MMO's is a gear grind. Even in open pvp games you are typically fighting over a resource that pertains to gear. 

WRONG.  What about DAOC?  all means every game.  I just named one that isn't a gear grind.  What about Darkfall?  Well anyways the list goes on to prove that not all MMO's endgame is a gear grind.

somebody grew up playing WoW

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

Not all. And FFXIV type of gear grind is the worst. Spend months to get what you need just to be rendered useless with new set of armor in an expac. Rine and repeat. The laziest and cheapest way to keep players subbed. Such an archaic model for end game.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

Sorry there isn't endless content for you OP. I guess you beat the game and can save yourself months or years of subscription costs.

Good luck on your next MMO. I hope you find what you are searching for.

• Hitman211Hitman211 Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Not all. And FFXIV type of gear grind is the worst. Spend months to get what you need just to be rendered useless with new set of armor in an expac. Rine and repeat. The laziest and cheapest way to keep players subbed. Such an archaic model for end game.

Whats wrong with people liking this kind of endgame content?

Why do you need all the gear in game ASAP?  What does it matter if they then release more content?

Im not getting this tbh, and it seems a mentality that should be foreign to mmorpg forums.

its not an archaic model, I would take it over a game that offered me all the games gear right off the bat....which seems to be what some want...then what?

Grind stuff for fun I take it?  Quit and move on?  What exactly do you want out of endgame for a mmorpg? 

I can tell you already that quite a few games give you everything on a silver platter come endgame, and then offer you....well you can do those dungeons again for nothing, or pvp, you can queue for pvp till the sun burns out.

Why cant there be a game like this for people who want it without people trying to convince them that they infact should hate this type of endgame?  Want no end game progression they already have 50 games like that, most don't play them very long and move on...

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by time007

WRONG.  What about DAOC?  all means every game.  I just named one that isn't a gear grind.  What about Darkfall?  Well anyways the list goes on to prove that not all MMO's endgame is a gear grind.

congratulations you just discovered what the endgame is like for a game that just launched and has not even had one expansion pack yet. 

why don't u just relax, bro. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Originally posted by Hitman211
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Whats wrong with people liking this kind of endgame content?

Why do you need all the gear in game ASAP?  What does it matter if they then release more content?

Im not getting this tbh, and it seems a mentality that should be foreign to mmorpg forums.

its not an archaic model, I would take it over a game that offered me all the games gear right off the bat....which seems to be what some want...then what?

Grind stuff for fun I take it?  Quit and move on?  What exactly do you want out of endgame for a mmorpg? 

I can tell you already that quite a few games give you everything on a silver platter come endgame, and then offer you....well you can do those dungeons again for nothing, or pvp, you can queue for pvp till the sun burns out.

Why cant there be a game like this for people who want it without people trying to convince them that they infact should hate this type of endgame?  Want no end game progression they already have 50 games like that, most don't play them very long and move on...

Next time try to read properly and understand what i was trying to say and i will reply to you. Currently the wall of text you wrote has nothing to do with what i wrote.

Not even once i said anything about handing gear to people on silver platter or wanting the gear in game asap. Nice strawmans though.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

You can also add in UO no gear grind there either. Rather the old UO.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Welcome to today's mmo's.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

What I really find amazing is the patience of so many posters in their attempts to try to explain to these content locusts, who haven't the slightest concept of what an MMORPG is supposed to deliver, or how one is to be played, the finer points of how to successfully play, and enjoy, an MMORPG.  All these content locusts do is rush to end game and then once there, they do nothing but complain.  Their complaints are varied but their more popular complaints range from "I'm max level, so what do I do now?" to " I'm bored there is nothing to do," and of course the one involved in this thread, "Yes there is something to do but it's too hard or its grindy."  It's always some wishy-washy complaint that has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the fact that they haven't the slightest idea of what playing in an MMORPG entails.  You simply can not satisfy these people.  Quit trying to convince them to stay.  Let them go.  I guarantee you the community will be better off for it. 

Here's a clue for the clueless:  An MMORPG is about community.  It is about making friends and forming bonds.  For the most, you will make friends and form bonds in your journey to end game.  Once there, this so called gear grind is simply the mechanism that will encourage  and enable you to team and enjoy those friendships and strong bonds.  It is not about you, and what you want, or how fast you can get it.  It is all a social exercise.  That is the joy of MMORPGs. 

• TekkamanTekkaman Member UncommonPosts: 158

Yeah, if you played vanilla DAoC before Spellcrafting and ToA came in.

DAoC was one of the BEST grinds. I had fun doing everything in that game. The combat was a bit more advanced than FFXIV, but considering they have a very similar style, I'm fine with it.

Seriously though if you think you didn't have to run any of the MLs multiple times for mats and hope to even craft a 99%+ item or get fully SC'd suits of armor, you're crazy and didn't play after the first 5 months of DAoC.

DAoC did the grinding right. As you can see, I'm not complaining about it because it was the best to me.

But saying it didn't have a grind is ignorant or lack of experience about the game's life and development.

• PuffingtonPuffington Member Posts: 35

So most of your gripe is the fact that SE made end game content that requires players pay attention, that you probably wont be able to compete without having a group of solid people or a guild to help you?

Go back to Skyrim.

Please.

Players like you killed WoW.

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238

Funny thing is, the best part of WoW for me is dinging top level and then grinding to gear to get them as powerfull as possible, I love getting new gear for toons. In one MMO I used to play, I would grind on mobs for days to get enough items to upgrade the armour to as strong as possible, thats a different grind, but its still as epic, knowing your char has some of the best armour the game has to offer and then seeing massive numbers that weren't reachable before pop up on mobs, so cool.

Every MMORPG that I've ever played to top level has had some sort of gear grind, because at the end of the day, if you don't see your char looking cooler and hitting bigger numbers, what else is there to keep your interest? I like this style of game play, its what brings me to MMORPGs, spend days, weeks, months on them, if I wanted to get everything I ever needed straight away I'd be playing a Sim or FPS or something similar.

Complaining about having to do the starter dungeon over and over, because you aren't, (or can't find people that are), good enough to do the other dungeons, is kind of a silly excuse anyways, as people get to know the dungeons, the dungeons will seem to become easier, and getting in a guild and playing with friends, isn't that the MMO experience?

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Your fellow MMORPG'rs complained that this "grind" wasn't a part of end game but rather leading up to it.  They also stated it was way too easy to get the tokens and that gearing up was super easy.  This is the same people griping that there is no end game but have yet to beat Coils.

I think ya'll are just wanting to whine, bitch, moan, and complain.  Go find another MMO that suits you.  This one doesn't.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Haha i can just imagine if some of the players that rush through and want everything easy would have played vanilla FFXI,they would have went ballistic.

I will try to spell out a few things on what i have heard for rants.

1 I blame both gamer and developer,gamer's are not playing these like a rpg or a mmo,they are playing them like a single player game with something to beat.

2 Square tries even more in FFXI to make some items RARE,if there is no effort to getting something,then it won't be rare and MANY gamer's like to be unique or have that RARE item.I do not believe for one second that you need a fully geared pug to take down a boss,there  had to have been groups do it that had yet to have the gear.The problem is that too many gamer's strive for the EASY route,they want that perfect group and everyone with the best gear so they can make it easy.

3 This is for those that constantly think they need pvp.Pvp has ONE notion to game play,to COMPETE versus other players.WHY the need to compete,role play gaming does NOT have to have people competing against each other.PVE is designed to have people get along and work together instead of against other,why is this concept so hard to understand?

I think it should be pretty darn easy to understand that designing a game to have people work together is a LOT better than against each other.I think the problem is so many gamer's look at ONLY the ME factor and don't realize what is best f or a game.

The PURPOSE is to have fun,if you are calling something a grind,then obviously you are not having fun and instead are expecting fast gratification to FAKE or mask the word fun.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I'm leveling everything to 50 instead, hehe.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by gessekai332

congratulations you just discovered what the endgame is like for a game that just launched and has not even had one expansion pack yet. 

Sorry but, FFXIV is not a ¨new MMO¨, Did you remember about 1.0 release a few years ago?. Atm the FFXIV endgame is a joke, even worse than GW2, and that was a game without endgame but with PvP at least.  Sure, they have a content update incoming, but when?.

Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by gessekai332

Sorry but, FFXIV is not a ¨new MMO¨, Did you remember about 1.0 release a few years ago?. Atm the FFXIV endgame is a joke, even worse than GW2, and that was a game without endgame but with PvP at least.  Sure, they have a content update incoming, but when?.

Well aside from a  completely different game engine, and the world being remade, and how you level being remade, and the combat remade, graphics were improved.. I think even the music and story was remade.

So yeah same game in name but might want to look up why people keep saying its a new mmo rather than assuming they put a really good band aid on the older game.

It is a new game.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

So all of your possible responses to avoid this 'grind' all involve quitting and buying the next box?

I'm genuinely curious, op. You've boldly and faithfully reported this heinous crime against gamerdom. What next?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

What I really find amazing is the patience of so many posters in their attempts to try to explain to these content locusts, who haven't the slightest concept of what an MMORPG is supposed to deliver, or how one is to be played, the finer points of how to successfully play, and enjoy, an MMORPG.  All these content locusts do is rush to end game and then once there, they do nothing but complain.  Their complaints are varied but their more popular complaints range from "I'm max level, so what do I do now?" to " I'm bored there is nothing to do," and of course the one involved in this thread, "Yes there is something to do but it's too hard or its grindy."  It's always some wishy-washy complaint that has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the fact that they haven't the slightest idea of what playing in an MMORPG entails.  You simply can not satisfy these people.  Quit trying to convince them to stay.  Let them go.  I guarantee you the community will be better off for it. 

Here's a clue for the clueless:  An MMORPG is about community.  It is about making friends and forming bonds.  For the most, you will make friends and form bonds in your journey to end game.  Once there, this so called gear grind is simply the mechanism that will encourage  and enable you to team and enjoy those friendships and strong bonds.  It is not about you, and what you want, or how fast you can get it.  It is all a social exercise.  That is the joy of MMORPGs. 

I'm one of those perpetual explorers who can play a game for years and never get a max level character.  I dilly-dally, create alts, craft, travel around and stick my nose into areas that hasn't been trodden to death by the masses.  When sales resume I intend to do the same thing here.

Originally posted by Telondariel

I'm one of those perpetual explorers who can play a game for years and never get a max level character.  I dilly-dally, create alts, craft, travel around and stick my nose into areas that hasn't been trodden to death by the masses.  When sales resume I intend to do the same thing here.

Excellent post +1

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

Here here!!!  Well said indeed.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Haha i can just imagine if some of the players that rush through and want everything easy would have played vanilla FFXI,they would have went ballistic.

I will try to spell out a few things on what i have heard for rants.

1 I blame both gamer and developer,gamer's are not playing these like a rpg or a mmo,they are playing them like a single player game with something to beat.

2 Square tries even more in FFXI to make some items RARE,if there is no effort to getting something,then it won't be rare and MANY gamer's like to be unique or have that RARE item.I do not believe for one second that you need a fully geared pug to take down a boss,there  had to have been groups do it that had yet to have the gear.The problem is that too many gamer's strive for the EASY route,they want that perfect group and everyone with the best gear so they can make it easy.

3 This is for those that constantly think they need pvp.Pvp has ONE notion to game play,to COMPETE versus other players.WHY the need to compete,role play gaming does NOT have to have people competing against each other.PVE is designed to have people get along and work together instead of against other,why is this concept so hard to understand?

I think it should be pretty darn easy to understand that designing a game to have people work together is a LOT better than against each other.I think the problem is so many gamer's look at ONLY the ME factor and don't realize what is best f or a game.

The PURPOSE is to have fun,if you are calling something a grind,then obviously you are not having fun and instead are expecting fast gratification to FAKE or mask the word fun.

Holy crappola!!  This thread has the best responses I've read in a long time.  Well written again!!!