Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sleep System To Limit Daily Playtime to 8-10 Hours?

Comments

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Arclan I suspect the folks whining in this thread about having their xp rates limited are the same ones who quit an MMO two weeks after launch because they maxed out and "there's nothing to do." But this is just another WoW versus non-wow argument. WoW payers expect max level in very short order. EQ players from 2000 expect to take six months to get max level. Simply a matter of taste.
    Having to go through an awful grind in order to get to the fun part was never difficult, just utterly tedious. I'm a MMO player from way before 2000, and I played games where there's no "max level" at all, and I disagree that all oldtimers enjoy pain and tedium. Actually, now that I'm older and with a different view on the world and its priorities, I welcome games where the end game starts when you log in for the first time with a new character, like e.g. Guild Wars 2.

That bullshit design consisting in having to grind 20, 50, 100 or more "levels" before getting to the "core content" of the game needs to die in a huge, fiery agony.

Note that I don't say there must not be some form of progression. It's the fact that gameplay drastically changes after grinding for weeks/months/years which I say is bullshit. A player should have fun in all aspects of a game starting with level 1, not level 50+.

End game is crap design. And without that crap design, this conversation wouldn't even exist.

Your entire post is a straw man argument (arguing with me about something I didn't say in the first place). That aside, you think the "core game" starts at level cap. Typical WoW mindset. Yes EQ had/has endgame but only 2% of my 8,000 EQ hours were spent in end game content. EQ had a very meaningful and fun journey; it wasn't all about the destination.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Originally posted by Arclan

I suspect the folks whining in this thread about having their xp rates limited are the same ones who quit an MMO two weeks after launch because they maxed out and "there's nothing to do."

But this is just another WoW versus non-wow argument. WoW payers expect max level in very short order. EQ players from 2000 expect to take six months to get max level. Simply a matter of taste.

I see nobody bringing wow to this thread but you. Seriously why would I pay my money to play a game in which my playtime is heavily dictated by someone else?

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Some people just play too much and they ruin the game for everyone else. I'm all for a daily playtime limit.
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

No

And this will be all I will say about the matter unless I want to get banned (again)

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by lufiaz

I suspect the folks whining in this thread about having their xp rates limited are the same ones who quit an MMO two weeks after launch because they maxed out and "there's nothing to do."

But this is just another WoW versus non-wow argument. WoW payers expect max level in very short order. EQ players from 2000 expect to take six months to get max level. Simply a matter of taste.

I see nobody bringing wow to this thread but you. Seriously why would I pay my money to play a game in which my playtime is heavily dictated by someone else?

It's not really heavily restricted, 8 hours a day is more than enough.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by lufiaz

It's not really heavily restricted, 8 hours a day is more than enough.

That is heavily restricted for some. You don't know there are people who play games 24/7?

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

[mod edit]

And to clarify I am one of those old EQ and UO players. Also played WoW some too and many other games in between. I do not expect it to take me 6 months to get max level. If it does I would quit way before then

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

I don't agree at all at capping or restricting a player's experience. Despite real life problems that might arise from an obsession with something like MMO's, this can be related to many other "addictive" things such as alcohol etc. Where you can do it in moderation but it becomes an issue if done excessively. The moderation of consumption should be under the player's control and not placed upon the backs of developers. I doubt developers create these games to force players to "power level" or "spend all day to achieve something", this is entirely the player's doing and motivation, so the responsibility shouldn't be placed upon them when they are merely trying to provide a service for many.

Restrictions and forcing people off a game with built-in mechanics aside, I do support providing INCENTIVES (not RESTRICTIONS) to getting players to log off. Perhaps providing a bonus for logging off for X amount of time etc. Rested experience has been implemented to help provide an incentive for players logging off, but I don't think its strong enough. Perhaps something like EVE online's learning abilities or skills but maybe being able to learn a select group of skills/abilities only while logged off etc. Ultimately, I believe the choice and responsibilities of having that choice should be placed upon the player.

Also, lets remember that the power levelers/gamers in MMO's generally are in a minority. Most players tend to experience MMO's at a more casual level due to having interests, social life outside of these games etc. Implementing systems to restrict a minority doesn't seem to be efficient use of a company's or developers' time.

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    lol i think the poll speaks for itself.  76% think its bad idea /thread
  • DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

I am a fan of restrictions that limit how fast players can level.
    You may have gotten more "yes" votes if you worded it differently, rather than specifying 8-10 hours a day as the max. A player may not have been able to logon all week; and wants to pull an all nighter on the weekend.
    Diminishing returns is another option; or an xp curve:xp boost during the first 5 hours of the week.
    normal xp for 5 to 40 hours.
    diminished xp after 40 hours.

I like the diminished XP idea, giving players a timeframe to reap ultimate benefit, after that frame it encourages them to go workout or something and proceed to follow their ambition the next day.

Personally, I wouldn't like a forced anything, only for the reason that there may be special circumstances that would otherwise upset you. For example, you and your friend have a week off from work, and you have no plans this specific week, and you two decide to play the game for a ridiculous amount of time as a personal challenge, not being able to do that would be very annoying.

I personally don't play for more than 8 hours excpet a rare instance, maybe that one HARDCORE day every few months where i just geek out for a majority of the daylight hours with my guildmates or buddies, but not being able to do that if you wanted to would be an annoyance.

I agree with a diminished xp system or something though, that seems pretty cool.

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi

You may have gotten more "yes" votes if you worded it differently, rather than specifying 8-10 hours a day as the max. A player may not have been able to logon all week; and wants to pull an all nighter on the weekend.

Diminishing returns is another option; or an xp curve:

xp boost during the first 5 hours of the week.

I like the diminished XP idea, giving players a timeframe to reap ultimate benefit, after that frame it encourages them to go workout or something and proceed to follow their ambition the next day.

Personally, I wouldn't like a forced anything, only for the reason that there may be special circumstances that would otherwise upset you. For example, you and your friend have a week off from work, and you have no plans this specific week, and you two decide to play the game for a ridiculous amount of time as a personal challenge, not being able to do that would be very annoying.

I personally don't play for more than 8 hours excpet a rare instance, maybe that one HARDCORE day every few months where i just geek out for a majority of the daylight hours with my guildmates or buddies, but not being able to do that if you wanted to would be an annoyance.

I agree with a diminished xp system or something though, that seems pretty cool.

OMG.

Something me and Dr.CokePepsi don't disagree on.

I actually don't mind this idea.  I rarely look at the xp bar anyway, only when I'm bored, and at that point I usually stop playing anyway.  Reduce my xp?  fine.  Just don't say I can't play.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi   Originally posted by Arclan I am a fan of restrictions that limit how fast players can level.   You may have gotten more "yes" votes if you worded it differently, rather than specifying 8-10 hours a day as the max. A player may not have been able to logon all week; and wants to pull an all nighter on the weekend. Diminishing returns is another option; or an xp curve: xp boost during the first 5 hours of the week. normal xp for 5 to 40 hours. diminished xp after 40 hours.
      I like the diminished XP idea, giving players a timeframe to reap ultimate benefit, after that frame it encourages them to go workout or something and proceed to follow their ambition the next day. Personally, I wouldn't like a forced anything, only for the reason that there may be special circumstances that would otherwise upset you. For example, you and your friend have a week off from work, and you have no plans this specific week, and you two decide to play the game for a ridiculous amount of time as a personal challenge, not being able to do that would be very annoying. I personally don't play for more than 8 hours excpet a rare instance, maybe that one HARDCORE day every few months where i just geek out for a majority of the daylight hours with my guildmates or buddies, but not being able to do that if you wanted to would be an annoyance. I agree with a diminished xp system or something though, that seems pretty cool.
    OMG.

Something me and Dr.CokePepsi don't disagree on.

I actually don't mind this idea.  I rarely look at the xp bar anyway, only when I'm bored, and at that point I usually stop playing anyway.  Reduce my xp?  fine.  Just don't say I can't play.

God-damn!

The world is ending lmfaoo.
    Yea Runescape did something *almost* like that, not really, but it was the double-xp weekends every once in a while, so during the week I'd do what would need to be done, do some running and working out more than the normal twice a week, possibly not even touching the game at all and just saving it all for the weekends and it was fun too.

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    a lot of games already offer this in the form of parental controls.
  • seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Originally posted by muffins89

You're focusing on the health part. Parental controls do nothing to fix pacing, pressure to overplay,  gold farming etc. The average MMO players are not children, they are adults and do not benefit from parental controls at all.....unless their husbands/wives are using it on them.

Originally posted by seacow1g

You're focusing on the health part. Parental controls do nothing to fix pacing, pressure to overplay,  gold farming etc. The average MMO players are not children, they are adults and do not benefit from parental controls at all.....unless their husbands/wives are using it on them.

Time limits won't fix pressure to play, neither will it fix farming bots... it will increase it because time is now a valuable commodity.  If you want to get rid of that stuff you have to make things so common that it is pointless.

Fix gold farming by making loot so numerous, or so worthless that there is no point to farming.  Like CoH before the whatever the architect came in.  There was buff drops but they were so common it was worthless.

Get rid of leveling pressure by making leveling so long it is pointless to even try and get to cap, or get rid of leveling completely.

The only way to get rid of them is to make them worthless, not more valuable.

Make

Time limits won't fix pressure to play, neither will it fix farming bots... it will increase it because time is now a valuable commodity.  If you want to get rid of that stuff you have to make things so common that it is pointless.

Fix gold farming by making loot so numerous, or so worthless that there is no point to farming.  Like CoH before the whatever the architect came in.  There was buff drops but they were so common it was worthless.

Get rid of leveling pressure by making leveling so long it is pointless to even try and get to cap, or get rid of leveling completely.

Make

We argued this before, your argument does not convince me. Let's agree to disagree.

The only thing we can agree on is that it would be very unpopular and an xp system might work and be more acceptable.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Serious question: Have you ever thought to yourself, what if you put those restrictions on other forms of entertainment?  Lets say... watching TV, streaming youtube, using your Ipad, and playing your music. 

Now lets think how subtle these forms of entertainment can be in the background.  You can have them on but, ehhh, they aren't a distraction.  Well how people spend time in an MMO is similar to these forms of entertainment.  People can be logged in but may have multiple computers or monitors up and the game off to the side while they are focused on something else.

Its no big deal.  Just don't infringe on how other people like to play their game.

Originally posted by TheHavok

Serious question: Have you ever thought to yourself, what if you put those restrictions on other forms of entertainment?  Lets say... watching TV, streaming youtube, using your Ipad, and playing your music. 

Now lets think how subtle these forms of entertainment can be in the background.  You can have them on but, ehhh, they aren't a distraction.  Well how people spend time in an MMO is similar to these forms of entertainment.  People can be logged in but may have multiple computers or monitors up and the game off to the side while they are focused on something else.

Its no big deal.  Just don't infringe on how other people like to play their game.

Here's the problem, you're likening MMORPG's to other forms of entertaining and even other genres. In my premise I explained that at their core MMORPG's are very different from other kinds of entertainments. It's competitive, it's persistent and you never stop getting stronger till you hit some form of cap. This has a huge influence on  both the game world and how we play it. I would never consider these measures for any other kind of entertainment nor genre. That is my premise. But I can understand how easy it is to ignore this premise when freedom is involved. It's like a huge neon light that draws attention away from the reasons I bring it up in the first place.

Make

We argued this before, your argument does not convince me. Let's agree to disagree.

The only thing we can agree on is that it would be very unpopular and an xp system might work and be more acceptable.

No comments on my suggestions though?

I can at least give an example.  CoH.  They actually did this and there was no farming for loot.

Make

No comments on my suggestions though?

I can at least give an example.  CoH.  They actually did this and there was no farming for loot.

Ok, well I don't like making loot feel worthless. It may improve how the players play but it would make the game feel less fun. Playing a game in a very moderately controlled way does not ruin the fun. Most people would hardly ever notice it, like hardly ever. But the consequences of design like making loot feel worthless would be felt every single gameplay moment.

The loot in CoH wasn't useless it was very very usefull, but it was aslo very common.  Every one wanted and needed them all the time, and they were always getting them.

It did not harm the fun, in fact many say it accentuated the fun.

CoH was just a bit too repetitive in the other areas.

I don't see a way where you could have loot/coin be valuable and wanted and somewhat restricted as well without having farming.  The two seem contradictory.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Fixed xp per mob and having a max of 24hrs in a day already places a restriction how fast you can lvl in every MMO :p

As for the OP, I don't agree with any system where a MMO company plays mum and dad for you. One reason is that I don't like to be pampered like that by companies , the other reason is purely practical. Whatever arbitrary progression restriction you put in the game, there will always be some playstyles hurt more then otheres.

Also, diminishing return systems always give problems, either in some situations they kick in too early, or sometimes there are work arounds.. Or even worse, if they have a fixed daily reset. Which mainly hurts players who play at certain times.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
     Sometimes in life one can't force another not to kill themselves. its not always societys responsibility to keep people alive that have self destructive impulses. Sure we can use all our resources trying to keep some people alive that that are either incapable or don't care to help themselves but then its also kind of natural for the gene pool to weed out those that don't want to live or are incapable of learning how to stay alive.
    Originally posted by someforumguy

Fixed xp per mob and having a max of 24hrs in a day already places a restriction how fast you can lvl in every MMO :p

That statement would make sense if not for that fact that MMO's are not designed to be played 24 hours a day. They design it so people can play moderate hours (6-10) and keep up with the content. Even the most hardcore and grindy ones are designed this way. If you designed the content to be so lengthy and time consuming that you had to play at the max exp gain (24/7 mob grinding) constantly to be competitive then it would be impossibly costly, no one would keep up and people would not just hurt their health they'd literally die.

I would say the opposite.  MMO's are designed to be played 24 hours a day.  Some content in them may run out but there is many other content that can be repeated ad nauseum e.g. grinding camps in every game, years long skill/class systems (Eve, UO, Istaria).

I'd say that is the major draw of an MMO, a world that is open 24 hours a day, that still exists waiting to be played even when your not there.