Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest mmo since WoW

Comments

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by PAL-18
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Just like you said ,I think 70,000 peeps playing concurrently online at the same time is useless data,like counting number of player characters.

Why is that useless data and how is that like counting number of player characters?

Ask her.

he's asking you

why is counting concurrent players like counting player characters?

i'll explain registered accts and player characters

neither measurement counts active players,

both of them include players that made an acct tried the game for 1 hour and uninstalled the game,  10 years ago

Okies ,that kind of data,Its data from your head.

Like:

So 460k online at one time ½  of them were bots and triple logged ,which lasted 0.00001 seconds and they uninstalled the game and  Icelands population is still growing.

Its just as accurate and absurd.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Punk999
    Originally posted by Daventry85
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    They rename Final fantasy to Wildstar? I missed something.

Wildstar is turning out to be the do all , MMO of this generation... when Wildstar comes out I see blizzard trying to ship another X-pac because they gonna be losing about 50% of their subs.

If you loved ARR then good for you , but its just awesome graphics , shallow combat , basic everything really... nothing says NEW they copy pasted every MMO from the past 10 years , not one thing they have is different.

HAHA! Yes and wildstar didnt copy anything right???

Every MMO that comes copy the old.

I wonder if he ever played Wildstar? Do all MMO of this generation? I couldn't even be swayed to keep playing the beta. Uninstalled.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Praetalus
    Originally posted by Punk999
    Originally posted by Daventry85
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    They rename Final fantasy to Wildstar? I missed something.

Wildstar is turning out to be the do all , MMO of this generation... when Wildstar comes out I see blizzard trying to ship another X-pac because they gonna be losing about 50% of their subs.

If you loved ARR then good for you , but its just awesome graphics , shallow combat , basic everything really... nothing says NEW they copy pasted every MMO from the past 10 years , not one thing they have is different.

HAHA! Yes and wildstar didnt copy anything right???

Every MMO that comes copy the old.

I wonder if he ever played Wildstar? Do all MMO of this generation? I couldn't even be swayed to keep playing the beta. Uninstalled.

Wildstar was instantly taken off my "To-Do" list the second I found out it has RMT conversion.

YAY! more pay to win!

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Are people forgetting that FF14 is a well produced MMO that also functions nearly 100% accurately on PS3 as well? 

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

both of them include players that made an acct tried the game for 1 hour and uninstalled the game,  10 years ago

Like:

So 460k online at one time ½  of them were bots and triple logged ,which lasted 0.00001 seconds and they uninstalled the game and  Icelands population is still growing.

its not data out of my head

what is your definition of registered acct?

my definition, that i think most people will agree with,

registered accts = number of accounts created over a games lifespan  --  regardless of anyone still using old accts

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Like:

its not data out of my head

what is your definition of registered acct?

my definition, that i think most people will agree with,

registered accts = number of accounts created over a games lifespan  --  regardless of anyone still using old accts

registered accounts 175,000,000+

registered gw2 accts (5m?)= number of accounts created of a games lifespan - regardless of anyone still using old accts.

now what ?

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Reserton

What a ridiculous post. ARR will not even get 10% of what WoW has in terms of numbers.

And if referring to the quality of game there has already been a ton of better games then WoW and you would be implying WoW was ever a good game.

The crafting system is not in anyway "deep" it is just long and at times a monotonous process, this will anything but attract people, especially not "WoW" people who will get bored of crafting in a second.

ARR is very likely to be another floptastic mess. Very few people will be willing to put money on the line for what was a disaster.

Khm, you are incredibly generous with that 10%. :-)) As for overall quality, playability, .... maybe 1%. And coming from looooong years FF series lover. I wish i never tried ARR. At least would keep old good memories to old times.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I dunno about Naysayer.  Realist maybe.  Objective maybe.

I wouldn't make any judgements about this game yet - it hasn't been long enough yet.

Greatest game since WoW?  Every premium sub-based MMORPG since WoW has failed (to retain players or stay sub-based) so that's a pretty low bar, eh?

What I see with FFXIV is an easy game, with a fast leveling track, with plenty of people already 50 and have been for days, already done with "relic weapons," already easily plowing thru so-called hard modes, etc.  I joined a large FC and people are already saying they're bored with some of the end game content.  It hasn't even been 3 weeks.  It's ridiculous that so many people are allready doing or have done all endgame has to offer within 3 weeks of EA.

What are those people going to be doing 2 weeks or a month from now?  In my experience it's a lot less enjoyable to go back and do alt stuff or crafting stuff when you've already exhausted endgame.

Didn't they say their first big content patch would be 2-3 months after release?  That is a very long time given how fast this game plays.  People were 50 in the first week.  People are massacring endgame now.

When I heard of "relic weapons" I figured THIS would be something to sink your teeth into. This will take some time. Well, in today's fast food gaming a few hours, maybe over a few days, is all one needs to get the best of the best. Then what? Park AFK outside the adventurer's guild looking cool?

Me...I'm only lvl 40, me and my friends love to do dungeons and we've been doing every instance 4-5 times and we're in no rush.  Even so...we're pretty far along and once we DO hit 50 we'll be plowing thru endgame content - apparently with ease since it seems liie anyone can crush endgame in this game.

I really have to wonder how this game is going to keep people around.  They pretty much need to start adding more content NOW.

Fun game, for sure, but as with every clone since WoW, it's too heavily solo oriented, plays too fast and easy, and it's just damn unlikely that the developer can crank out content fast enough to keep people interested.

So.

I'm still not convinced.  I say hold off on proclaiming the new prince until it's been 2-3 months.  Not only for content - to see if there will be anything close to enough, but for some other things.

This game is lacking in a lot of "quality of life" ways.  There's threads about it on the official boards and a lot of pro reviewers are mentioninng it.  It's a lot of little things that you can overlook with the new shine glare in your eyes but the longer you play, the more those little things bother you.  Will they be addressed and how long will it be?

We shall see.  The OP proclaims this is the best MMORPG since WoW.  I see it more as SWTOR 2.0.  Hyped, seems amazing at first, seems like people get "done" with it even faster, and will there be huge drop offs 3-6 months in due to lack of stuff to do.

I don't think you can judge either way based on a little over 2 weeks of being live and not even 1 week yet of people being able to play without major login hassles.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• sintenal84ksintenal84k Member Posts: 17
    I don't know guys, I'm already bored at level 32. good luck hunting with this one.
  • Hitman211Hitman211 Member Posts: 52

Saying something is the greatest is so objective.

Also theres a lot of people who didn't think your reference game was the prior greatest game.

Its a solid game, well made, high production value...and it a game that knows what its doing and who its targeting.  Nothings worse than a game with no direction that tries to make every gamer type happy.

Lots of people are going to dislike the game, but those who do like it will probably stick with it for a long time.  Especially if their planned content is as high or of higher production value.

Lets not forget that FFXI was a game that chose not to follow all the trendy things and did quite well over a long period of time, staying p2p the entire duration (its still p2p right?)

Seems SE took that route, but added in some more modern stuff this time around.

I think the next big mmorpg launch youll see this game fade into the backround noise...and it will just keep on ticking along with a decent population with it...just like the older FF mmo.

• h0tNstilettosh0tNstilettos Member Posts: 25

After reading the last few pages of this thread, and some earlier, including a guy that said FFXIV: ARR won't even get 10% the amount of subs WoW has, well I thought people should be aware . . .

During phase 3 of beta they ended up with over 1.5 million players (not talking about concurrent obviously). Once phase 4 came, which was open beta, I'm sure those numbers increased a lot, but I haven't read any official statement on this from phase 4 beta.

It was the single most played beta in the history of betas across all video games. They broke 1 world record here.

When launch came the amount of players playing were higher than even beta, though I never read an official release of the exact number, but considering the number from phase 3 and how it kept getting higher ever since, I'm sure it's safe to assume the game already has over 2 million players. Obviously game is still free to play, so can't say that number is in subs, but that is still a good sign. Post launch they broke 2 world records even with many players unable to play due to server congestion, though I don't remember what they were, but you can Google it.

It is the best MMO I have ever played personally, and I have played MMOs since EQ1. I've played WoW, GW2, Rift, Tera, Maplestory, etc. It takes the best of the familiar and some innovations and creates something marvelous.

However, despite how good the game is there is one thing that worries me . . .  the fast leveling. Leveling in this game is way too fast, and I believe it is going to be the game's downfall if something isn't done to solve the issue. It's even slightly faster than leveling in a non-MMO console RPG. The FATE system is what is making this possible. They either need to nerf FATE experience, or make FATEs spawn less often, or dramatically increase the amount of experience required to level. It would probably be better to change the FATEs in some way.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

How can anyone say the leveling is fast in this game when there are so many classes to level lol? Either some of you guys aren't aware of how this game works or you just have no intention of leveling the crafting classes or anything else outside of the class you choose when you created your toon.

Either way you are really missing out..... 

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

anyone who level his job to 50 and stop there is really not considering the main point of cross class skills and jobs etc. as a MRD/WAR I have to level Monk to 44 , gladiator to 22 , pugilist to 15 , and lancer to 12 or so to get the best out of Warrior Class.

on top of that I had to level mining and armorer to help me meld / craft gear and also make some money out of mining.

this is how I think everyone should approach any MMO, sit a long term goal and not a short term call and call it game over.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    *Grabs chips and brew, and sits back to watch the show*

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Its better than WoW imho. Greatest MMO since SWG for me.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

Greatest MMO since WoW? How? Just because you love the game doesn't mean it's the greatest since WoW... and not even in term of number of players you could say that since GW2 been release for a year and it has more players than this game who just got released. Seriously, I would prefer to play a great final fantasy game a la FF3 than playing this MMO with a FF stamp on it. Also, sure the game might be better than WoW now, but not vanilla WoW.

So while this game is popular atm (like every single MMO release), I'm pretty sure people will run through the content in no time, devs will have a hard time to push out new content, player base will start dropping and next thing you know, it become F2P! I'm not saying that I want this game to fail but I fail to see how this game will do well in the long run. It's just another hyped MMO IMO.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    Age of Conan is better than FF14, but that's my opinion.

gameplay > graphics

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I am playing it atm.  It's very, very hard to get into.  There is nothing that this game does that is new, everything has been done 200 times before in whatever MMO you want to compare it to.  The quests are so damn boring and bland...in fact, they are all "go kill 8 ladybugs" type of quests.  Pretty depressing.

Like every other themepark, the whole point is to just look for NPCs with exclamation marks over there head, and mindlessly go about doing your little "quests".

The game opens up much later, at around level 30 or so when you start to get your advanced class stuff....but by then, you are probably burnt out on the same......thing....over....and....over.

If you have never played a MMO before, this is an excellent game.  It's about as social as GW2...meaning you do not have to talk or interact with anyone unless you do dungeons.

10 years ago this would have been a great game...but now there are too many games exactly like this.  It looks really nice though.

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

Mark my words. FFXIV ARR will be the greatest mmo since vanilla WoW. Consider my reasons for this claim. Unlike any other mmo, FFXIV will be released world wide Aug.27  on both PC and PS3. With over 70 million PS3 units sold imagine how many people walking into walmart or gamestop looking for a roleplaying game will be attracted to this title. FFXI at its peak had 500k members and it was predominantly on PS2. Even if only 1% of all PS3 owners buy FFXIV thats over 700k subscribers on console alone. Know that FFXIV will also be released on PS4. We all know how cautious we can be when buying first gen games for new consoles. Imagine how comforting the Final Fantasy name will be to people looking for games in that genre. Then there all the FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 people who will want to give ARR a try. Plus how many WoW and GW2 players arent really that happy with the current state of their gaming. 

For new players playing their very first mmo ARR has a VERY friendly learning curve. Veteran players have even complained that it was too easy. However it has been confirmed that as you progress towards endgame the games challenges become more daunting. To the point of having to quit ones job in order to devote all of ones time to the game just to "first achieve" the games endgame rewards. There is also the ability to progress smoothly in game through both solo and group play.

It is commonly known that 1.0 had one of the deepest crafting systems in all mmos. This will be retained in 2.0, plus a crafting driven economy. Add a combination of 16 classes and jobs to choose from at release. Along with 18+ dungeons that range from easy to extremely hard. Player housing. Deep storylines.A beautiful soundtrack and the best graphics of any mmo to date. Plus  one can really become attached to whatever character you create because one toon can be any and every job. So goodbye Alts.

Then theres the attraction for the ladies. In-game marriage. Ceremony and everything.(yes wedding gowns) Being able to dress up ones mount in various outfits. Minions or pets that walk along beside you. And man some of these are pretty impressive. Yes I know these can be found in several mmos, but none of them look as good as these. Imagine a hand clad in a mickey mouse glove that follows you pointing at stuff. Then theres the outfits. Anything from full body armor, to dresses with purses filled flowers, to bikinis. Finally the ability to craft items for your house. Anything from wallpaper to roofing. And the ability to mount the heads of monsters you've slain over your fireplace to show off for you guest.

All of these things and many more have me convinced that this will be the greatest mmo in years and possibly for years to come.

Edit: So I wrote this back in May and here it is now September almost 2 weeks after launch. As you can see I got flamed by most who thought I was nothing short of an idiot for posting my prediction.

Funny how SE just posted info of breaking their record with 325k players online at once. Many of you said this game would not get 100k subscribers. The company actually had to stop all digital and retail sales because they didn't predict so many people would be playing and their servers couldn't handle the influx.

This hasn't happened since....... Wait for it.... World of Warcraft.

Even with all the technical problems with servers the past week, players keep coming back trying to get into the game.

So I just have one question. Where are all the naysayers? Did you crawl back into your bitter, jaded and ignorant holes?

Well, I'll be back in another couple of months after the first major update. I'm predicting the game will continue to grow even far beyond what it has accomplished up till now.

Let's see what the population is 30 days after the free trial ends and people have to pay for the game...  People are already getting to 50 and leaving.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    good lord after playing Guild wars 2 this game feels like im playing in slow motion.
  • RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by Ecoces
    good lord after playing Guild wars 2 this game feels like im playing in slow motion.

Mhm I would think that too if I only played the first 10 lvls?

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by TwystedWiz

Mark my words. FFXIV ARR will be the greatest mmo since vanilla WoW. Consider my reasons for this claim. Unlike any other mmo, FFXIV will be released world wide Aug.27  on both PC and PS3. With over 70 million PS3 units sold imagine how many people walking into walmart or gamestop looking for a roleplaying game will be attracted to this title. FFXI at its peak had 500k members and it was predominantly on PS2. Even if only 1% of all PS3 owners buy FFXIV thats over 700k subscribers on console alone. Know that FFXIV will also be released on PS4. We all know how cautious we can be when buying first gen games for new consoles. Imagine how comforting the Final Fantasy name will be to people looking for games in that genre. Then there all the FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 people who will want to give ARR a try. Plus how many WoW and GW2 players arent really that happy with the current state of their gaming. 

For new players playing their very first mmo ARR has a VERY friendly learning curve. Veteran players have even complained that it was too easy. However it has been confirmed that as you progress towards endgame the games challenges become more daunting. To the point of having to quit ones job in order to devote all of ones time to the game just to "first achieve" the games endgame rewards. There is also the ability to progress smoothly in game through both solo and group play.

It is commonly known that 1.0 had one of the deepest crafting systems in all mmos. This will be retained in 2.0, plus a crafting driven economy. Add a combination of 16 classes and jobs to choose from at release. Along with 18+ dungeons that range from easy to extremely hard. Player housing. Deep storylines.A beautiful soundtrack and the best graphics of any mmo to date. Plus  one can really become attached to whatever character you create because one toon can be any and every job. So goodbye Alts.

Then theres the attraction for the ladies. In-game marriage. Ceremony and everything.(yes wedding gowns) Being able to dress up ones mount in various outfits. Minions or pets that walk along beside you. And man some of these are pretty impressive. Yes I know these can be found in several mmos, but none of them look as good as these. Imagine a hand clad in a mickey mouse glove that follows you pointing at stuff. Then theres the outfits. Anything from full body armor, to dresses with purses filled flowers, to bikinis. Finally the ability to craft items for your house. Anything from wallpaper to roofing. And the ability to mount the heads of monsters you've slain over your fireplace to show off for you guest.

All of these things and many more have me convinced that this will be the greatest mmo in years and possibly for years to come.

Edit: So I wrote this back in May and here it is now September almost 2 weeks after launch. As you can see I got flamed by most who thought I was nothing short of an idiot for posting my prediction.

Funny how SE just posted info of breaking their record with 325k players online at once. Many of you said this game would not get 100k subscribers. The company actually had to stop all digital and retail sales because they didn't predict so many people would be playing and their servers couldn't handle the influx.

Even with all the technical problems with servers the past week, players keep coming back trying to get into the game.

So I just have one question. Where are all the naysayers? Did you crawl back into your bitter, jaded and ignorant holes?

Well, I'll be back in another couple of months after the first major update. I'm predicting the game will continue to grow even far beyond what it has accomplished up till now.

Let's see what the population is 30 days after the free trial ends and people have to pay for the game...  People are already getting to 50 and leaving.

To be fair those are the content locusts, and they're not going to be happy with any MMO for long. I'll put it this way:

A regular MMO player is like a person who knows how to enjoy a well-crafted Oktoberfest brew; it's poured properly, the beer is allowed to reach the proper temperature, and the scent is inhaled deeply with each delicious, malty sip.

A content locust is like the loud, boisterous asshole who walks up, chugs the whole mug in ten seconds, belches, says that it sucks, then goes off to hork down bar peanuts & greasy burgers while drinking Natural Light until he passes out over a toilet at 4AM.

Both are beer drinkers, but it's pretty obvious who's only doing it to get shitfaced.

• BhobBhob Member UncommonPosts: 126

As I'm somewhat of a FFXI fan, I was somewhat disappointed so far as this game fell into the trappings of the rest of the Wow clones where you really feel like your being hand held through most of the quests.  There is no sense of accomplishment of getting your second job or your airship pass for example,  Things were actually somewhat of a challenge even in the early levels in FFXI. In the dungeons I've played so far, people just rip through them with no discussion or purpose because all they want to rinse and repeat.  There is no sense of teamwork, and no skill chains.

Maybe I need to give it more time, but honestly for being a casual player nowadays, I don't find this game much of a challenge and not sure what will keep me after the free trial.... I hope I'm wrong.   There are alot of good things, but I think they fell short of the greatness you predicted.

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    lol the og poster has his standards set pretty high.... 
  • PewpsockemzPewpsockemz Member Posts: 49

To be fair GW2 had to stop digital sales too.