Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What has been your favorite MMO?

jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Along the same theme as my "What was your favorite quest" string, what, so far, has been your favorite MMORPG?  You don't have to justify it (because there is always going to be someone who is going to say it sucked anyway) just be honest.

If you want to add why you can be my guest.

Mine was City of Heroes.  My reasoning?  Simply because comics was my thing before computers and it was the first time I got to do both things at the same time.  Who cared if it was good? LOL  I stalked that thing from the first time I heard about it, which was years before it was ever made, until the day it came out.  It inspired me to roleplay, to make movies, and write fan fiction, and to me, if a game gets you like that, then that's a good game!  I had not been nearly as inspired before and not nearly as inspired since.

What was/is your all time favorite?

The current tally as of the last edit of this post is....

Age of Conan               2

Anarchy Online             3

Asheron's Call              3

City of Heroes              3

Dark Age of Camelot    7

Diablo III                      1

Eve Online                    2

Everquest                    10

Everquest II                 2

Freelancer                    1

Final Fantasy 14           1

Guild Wars                    2

Hello Kitty Online          1

Lineage II                     1

Lord of the Rings          1

Planetside                    1

Shadowbane                1

Star Wars Galaxies       12

Ultima Online                5

Vanguard                      1

Warhammer                  2

World of Warcraft          6

If you listed more than one without picking a favorite you were not counted.  Thanks for posting anyway though.

Favorite MMO Chart

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Not a real MMORPG, but Guild Wars 1. It has the best character customization I've seen in a RPG, with so many different and viable build options they make your head spin in a good way. Its monsters also use mostly the same skills players have, making combat more fair and tactical.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I'm pretty simpleminded.  If a game has me it has me 100%. So what ever game I'm playing right now is my favorite game ever . Which is currently ff14

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

WoW.

Not only because it showed the world that MMOs can be a proper game but also it got rid of the perception that MMORPG players were 'not normal' by the general society.

I still remember shunning MMORPG players back in the UO/EQ days and I was a gamer.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Without a doubt, EQ1. I spent more time playing that game then I want to admit. It was addictive and some of my guildmates were just plain awesome sauce. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Ultima Online

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQ1 - was an engaging virtual world to me

met many fun people, including half a dozen that I still talk to,  10 years later image

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    It was and will always be Star Wars Galaxies.
  • SeloSelo Member UncommonPosts: 108

I think this topic shows up once a day :P

People that say WoW are to young to have experianced the older mmos.

DaoC, without question, are the best for me, followed by EQ, UO and Lotro. LotrO becouse of the great community and friends i still have there.

In the end, i think most will say the game where they made the most friends and had the best community.

Which is strange, since most developers nowadays tend to move away from sozialising and making good communities and instead focus on "minding your own business"  soloing of all content. Heck in TESO you even get rewarded for soloing and penalized for grouping by getting less loot.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Wow hands down and im not young. :)
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Thorkune

I second that.

Star Wars Galaxies - pre cu ofc.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Runescape and I have 3 great reasons...But, I am going to digress a bit. And, there is a point to it that leads into the reasons Runescape is my Favorite MMORPG. So, please bare with it.

I once read a book on Chinese cooking (I like to cook and like learning about new ways of cooking). The author starts out the book by saying that Chinese is incomparable to any other system of cooking. I thought this was a rather bold, and egotistic statement...Until the author explains that he is not saying it in manner that is meant to express that Chinese cooking is better then other systems just that you quite literately can not fairly compare it to anything else because it is not quite like anything else. He goes onto say exemplify this with simple contrasting forks/chop sticks, flat pan/wok, cooked in it's own juices and oil at low temperatures for long periods of time/ Juices evaporated with almost no lubricant at extremely high temperatures very rapidly.

And, I thought about it, as I kept reading the these, and the author was right. Chinese cooking has methods and tools all it's own. That simply make the comparison to other traditions, at very least, extremely difficult to make. Because, it naturally contrasts that which is around it.

Which brings me to my first reason.

1) Runescape is not quite like anything else.

While you will find features it possesses in other games. And, while runescape may take a same or similar approach in some of its aspects that you see in other games. these are small singular instances of comparison. You will find no sets of features in such a way or combination that you can come close to evenly fairly saying 'I have played a few games that were a lot like this". It is a clone of nothing, And nothing comes close to cloning it. The number one comment I can recall having heard from people who have tried runescape is not that it is bad or good. Just that it is "very different". I have had good friends on their over the last 12-13 years that have ventured off to try and find other games like runescape and they always come back and say the same thing when asked..."It doesn't exist. There is no other game like Runescape."

2) Freedom. I am locked into nothing on Runescape.

If I don't like my hair, skin color, name, faction affiliation (even to have no affiliation at all) or just want to change genders. I just do it. It costs me nothing and I am not penalized for it. If my server is laggy or I feel I can get something done better on another server. I just go to the worlds list and switch. That simple. If I want to just roam and explore and find new places and content I have not seen before I just do it. If I want to set down the staff or wand and pick up a shield and sword or 2h or something else i just do it. Yes, there are requirements to do things. But, I am not channeled a long a path that is like an airstream from the start to the end-game. I run into reasonable obstacles that I have to find out how to over come. It's big and it's open and every game space of it is dripping with deep content, for me to discover at my own pace and along a path of my choosing.

3) Something for every one.

It doesn't really matter what you like to do in a game. We got that. Do you just like playing the market and getting rich? Are you a mini game or distraction and diversions fanatic? Do you like to roleplay? All you want to do is kill monsters? All you want to do is kill players? maybe your a mad skiller and want to be able to make just about anything that there is to be made? Perhaps you love lore or epic adventures that will take you to places you had not conceived of existing just below your feet or right above your head? That and more....its all there. There is just no end to the new content. No stop to the development of greater depth and diversity.

• Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86

Freelancer - While probably not considered a MMO, I played the multi-player part and this was the first game I played with other players that was open and freeform. I joined a clan for the first time and played this game for a few years. I have tons of memories, good and bad, of trade runs and pirate clan battles.

SWG - Even with it's flaws, I loved this game and miss it very much.

LoTRO [pre-F2P] - It was awesome stepping into middle earth for the first time and seeing all the people and places. The best community I have ever been a part of [Brandywine and later Landrovel].

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Dark Age of Camelot was by far the best mmo ever made. The community, realm pride, and the RvR made the game great.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• MorrokMorrok Member Posts: 130

EQ1, without a doubt.
    Right until they introduced station cash.

It had the best chat system i came to know, a large world even at the start
    (i got lost in Greater Faydark the very first day i played, and the second and the third...),
    good starting "progression" with quests in the starting cities themselves, slowly but surely urging you to go out to the newbie areas and first dungeons and even other races' cities (Crushbone belt quest)...

• DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

Haha! love the profile pic and then your reply xD

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by jesad
    Along the same theme as my "What was your favorite quest" string, what, so far, has been your favorite MMORPG?  You don't have to justify it (because there is always going to be someone who is going to say it sucked anyway) just be honest.

If you want to add why you can be my guest.

Mine was City of Heroes.  My reasoning?  Simply because comics was my thing before computers and it was the first time I got to do both things at the same time.  Who cared if it was good? LOL  I stalked that thing from the first time I heard about it, which was years before it was ever made, until the day it came out.  It inspired me to roleplay, to make movies, and write fan fiction, and to me, if a game gets you like that, then that's a good game!  I had not been nearly as inspired before and not nearly as inspired since.

What was/is your all time favorite?

Gotta say, Asheron's Call, even Asheron's Call 2 because of teh allegiance I played with was THE game for me. Could describe everything, but i'd only scratch the surface. So good it still creates a whopping amount of nostalgia.

P.S. SWG is an even contender with AC tbh.

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

I second that.

Star Wars Galaxies - pre cu ofc.

Same...rose colored glasses and all :)

wow and city of heroes would be my 2 and 3

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Like you, OP, City of Heroes for me. I would take breaks from it every now and again, but I always ended up going back after a few months off.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351
    SWG pre-CU despite the bugs/flaws.  I have yet to find another MMO that has the combination of features that game had.  Too bad they couldn't figure out how to fix this issues without messing up the game.  :(
  • neve1272neve1272 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    AOC the melee combat was so refreshing for me,had a setting i loved.......
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

EQ1 without a doubt.  There will never be anything like it again.  So involved and such an amazing community with a challenge that really made you proud of what you did and more dedicated to your character.  Amazing and alive world.

DAoC would be second, still the best pvp I've ever experienced.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

God so many choices..

UO  for creativity. I mean where else can you be a Dread Lord Master Chef killing and robbing noobies with trays of deadly poison cookies.

EQ for the required social structure to progress. EQ literally forced us to build true deep meaningful relationships with our server communities. Some of the best friends of my life I met playing everquest and are still best friends 15 years later.

DAoC and Shadowbane for showing us how PVP should really be done in online gaming.

SWG for defining sandbox gaming and putting the real power of community into the hands of the players.

Ryzom for having truly the best, most caring, most generous, nicest player community of any game ever.

Matrix Online for making Barbie's dream dress-up cool and mainstream. Showing game developers gamers actually care deeply about having their own personal unique appearence.

COH for making tights and capes cool, and showing us heros can be even more badass than villians. Sometimes.

On the other side of the coin....

WoW for thier mass marketing blitz making online gaming mainstream, which in turn brought in all the idiots and asshole casual gamers to the industry which in turn has totally destroyed the industry and made me hate Blizzard with a passion until the end of time. 

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Dark age of Camelot

(and SWG)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Diablo 3

... wait what .. it is not a MMO? But it is listed as MMORPGs in many sites including this one.

... wait ... you are right and all the websites are wrong?

well ... personally i think it is close enough.

How about this ... Diablo 3 is my favorite "game type that is close to, and including MMOs"? That bound to be accurate now.

• KaledrenKaledren Member UncommonPosts: 312

AAAaaaanyways............

EQ1 for more reasons than I wish to take the time to list.