Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Typical FFXIV chat window

meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Posted on Twitter by Mr. VanOrd himself...

Comments

• atenemaatenema Member Posts: 6

Yeah, it definitely appears to be getting worse. It seems as though every 10-15 minutes I'll need to add a few more gold spammers to the blacklist.

What makes it worse is there isn't an "easy" way to blacklist them either.  And sometimes the "clever" ones will whisper-spam you and by the time you get their ridiculously convoluted name typed into the blacklist, they'll have logged out and into a different gold-spamming character.

My current blacklist count is at 15 (all gold spammers.)

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Blacklist the gold spammer and your chat window is nice and clean. Sure there are more, but you blacklist them too. Not a big deal.
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

There goes the idea that subscriptions mean less gold spam and botting. None of us with any experience or common sense thought that anyway.

@atenema - can't you right click the name in chat and report or ignore them?

Surprisingly not. The only options are to 'Send Tell', 'Invite to Party' and 'Friend Request'.

I would figure having a "Report Spam" /" Blacklist" option would be the norm at this point.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Hah, you can see the spammer in the back too.
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

I'm sure they'll do something about the gold spamming soon (and it IS awful) and while I originally joined a U.S. server (Ultros) SE was nice enough to transfer me to a Japanese server. So now...along with the gold spammers I get to look at cool Japanese writing I can'y understand.

I keep getting the urge to say konnichiwa to everyone :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by atenema

There goes the idea that subscriptions mean less gold spam and botting. None of us with any experience or common sense thought that anyway.

Surprisingly not. The only options are to 'Send Tell', 'Invite to Party' and 'Friend Request'.

I would figure having a "Report Spam" /" Blacklist" option would be the norm at this point.

Best way to easy blacklist these spammers:

• right-click name and select reply
    • use shift to mark name and press CTRL-C
    • open social panel - blacklist
    • add person to blacklist - CTRL-V
    Though still not very fast, it's the best way to make sure you have the right name to add to the blacklist.

...and yeah... gilsellers are appearing more and more :'(
  • Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Hopefully the BUYERS will be banned soon....
    Originally posted by Reizla

Though still not very fast, it's the best way to make sure you have the right name to add to the blacklist.

Thank you so much!

I'm not sure why I haven't thought of doing that yet (lol) but this will make adding in the "Liilliji Iiljjil" names much, much easier! <3

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Yea.. I have a couple on my list now.. but more disturbing is the Barrens-like chat I dealt with lastnight.  Some dude was telling people to kill themselves if they were furry lovers or f&!#ts.  He then PM'd me and told me to kill myself.  (rolls eyes)  Seriously, how old are you dude... (I did not respond, I just Blisted him with the goldspammers)

• OnoriaOnoria Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Why not just create a new channel with only FC, whispers and friends. That's what i did

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Onoria
    Why not just create a new channel with only FC, whispers and friends. That's what i did

This is usually the best option for any game that supports custom channels.  "Global" or "World" chat is universally annoying and rarely has anything worth reading.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

I remember Gw2 being literally nucked by botnets to brute force account data since day one. What they did was to implement SICK security systems and guidelines for a minimum time. Let's see how long it takes Square to protect its users. Being all premium and whatnot :) Fast forward a month or so onward ... there hasn't been a single gold spam in the chat in Gw2.

so...all your P2P fallacies are just that ... fallacies. A way for you to explain to yourself why are you supposed to pay a monthly sub for a service that should otherwise be already there regardless if sub or not. Yet its not there :))))))) 

• kmpatkmpat Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Where there is demand there will be supply, but I agree SE need to do something about this on their end.
  • Sircampsalot08Sircampsalot08 Member Posts: 20

If you receive a RMT /tell spam, the easiest way to add the spammer to the blacklist is to type /blist add <r>, which adds the person taht sent you the /tell to your blacklist.

You can also use the command /blist add "Player Name" (with the " ") and if you see a spammer in front of you, you can target them and use the command /blist add <t>.

SirCampsalot

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

IMO they only way this stops is to obliterate buyers.

These games log everything.  The data is there.  If they wanted to, these companies could identify and get rid of the cheating losers.  Simpley delete the accounts of and cc ban anybody caught buying AND publish that you are doing this.  Take it a step further, put it in your TOS that you will publicly riducle cheaters and publish their character names, guild names, and servers.

If players regularly saw a list of deleted players getting posted they might think twice about cheating.

Since there is little enforcement and cheating is all but condoned, it's become a normal part of the MMORPG scene, which is just lame.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• Hitman211Hitman211 Member Posts: 52

Buyers are the problem for sure.

If you stop giving them money they will go elsewhere.

If you don't like spending time to build your character, his bank, and his wallet...you are playing the wrong type of game.

I wouldn't mind a player buyer ban wave, open up those servers a bit and send a strong message out to people.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

Yeah, it definitely appears to be getting worse. It seems as though every 10-15 minutes I'll need to add a few more gold spammers to the blacklist.

What makes it worse is there isn't an "easy" way to blacklist them either.  And sometimes the "clever" ones will whisper-spam you and by the time you get their ridiculously convoluted name typed into the blacklist, they'll have logged out and into a different gold-spamming character.

My current blacklist count is at 15 (all gold spammers.)

/blist add "name"

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Thank you for that, just made up my mind not to buy the game.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Yeah this was incredibly disappointing to me this evening.... I logged in and was just bombarded with gold spam it took me about 10 minutes to type in every name and blacklist them. What an awful way to start a gaming session, why is it that they can literally spam the chat without any penalty? They better get a handle on this because endless gold spammers are a HUGE game breaker for me... I've never played a P2P game that had such a gold spammer problem. I hope that they figure out a system for easily reporting/blocking these accounts.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by Brenics
    Thank you for that, just made up my mind not to buy the game.

So because people let themselves get compromised, which allows the sellers to spam.. makes you not want to play the game?

Yeah, some people will come up with the most ridiculous justifications for why they don't want to buy the game.

It's almost as if they desperately need a good reason to explain to the world why THEY are not playing a game that everyone else is playing...

• SgtPepperUKSgtPepperUK Member UncommonPosts: 30

Or, similarly, do steps 1 and 2 then type /blist add "(ctrl-v to paste name here)".

tbf I think SE are doing ok on this, Sunday for instance I saw no RMT spam. So, SE are definitely following up on reports that are submitted and will hopefully make it easier to report/blacklist soon.

Think about it, nobody wants to die, there's rules to this game son, I'm justified.

• DraneanDranean Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

Posted on Twitter by Mr. VanOrd himself...

Sooner or later this will become better.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

I remember Gw2 being literally nucked by botnets to brute force account data since day one. What they did was to implement SICK security systems and guidelines for a minimum time. Let's see how long it takes Square to protect its users. Being all premium and whatnot :) Fast forward a month or so onward ... there hasn't been a single gold spam in the chat in Gw2.

so...all your P2P fallacies are just that ... fallacies. A way for you to explain to yourself why are you supposed to pay a monthly sub for a service that should otherwise be already there regardless if sub or not. Yet its not there :))))))) 

Turbine and Codemasters were really quick on it With Lord of the Rings Online as well when it launched.

Goldspam was getting crazy there too.

They implemented blanket Asian IP range bans on their US and EU servers.

Problem solved! Never ever received another RMT tell or mail nor saw any spam anymore. Nor did I see any bots anymore either.

Some People were crying about the IP range bans. But seriously. It worked.

And before anyone says they gonna use proxies. They were quick on blocking those too.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

some poeple are seeign deleted int he blacklist so theya re working on them slowly.

se will get it handled

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by Aori

You can blame this on the people who use qwerty as a password or the ones who can't help but click the non fishy square email saying they need to change their password.

Seriously people are on their forums right now complaining that square sent them an email to change their password and they got hacked because of it.

LOL im sad that this is serious.....

I don't wanna live on this planet any more....