Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest mmo since WoW

Comments

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by dinams

If I had not seem my fair share of releases I would fall into this

But nah, I will just stay and watch the water going under the bridge, I dont really care anymore about mmos

Why on Earth are you on an MMO site then? Of course we are all free to have our own tastes and like what we like but wouldn't a different gaming site be better for you? Though if I am correctly interpreting what you are saying. If you were not tired of MMOs you would find this to be an attractive game?

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by JKGL
    Originally posted by Daft
    If this game was only PC it would flop, but the ps3/ps4 release will make this game thrive. I can see this one easily topping WOWs numbers. If you played the PC beta i can see how you where not impressed. PS3 testing was a breath of fresh air and something new.  I could only imagine how somebody that is new to mmorps is going to feel when they pick this up at walmart.

I agree with you 100%.

Lol I am just wondering how many people are going to pick this up at Walmart not knowing it's $15 a month then go WTF when they're trial runs out. Well that's one way to get people sucked into a game I guess.

• Originally posted by Arcticnoon
    Mark my words. FFXIV ARR will be the greatest mmo since vanilla WoW. Consider my reasons for this claim. Unlike any other mmo, FFXIV will be released world wide Aug.27  on both PC and PS3. With over 70 million PS3 units sold imagine how many people walking into walmart or gamestop looking for a roleplaying game will be attracted to this title. FFXI at its peak had 500k members and it was predominantly on PS2. Even if only 1% of all PS3 owners buy FFXIV thats over 700k subscribers on console alone. Know that FFXIV will also be released on PS4. We all know how cautious we can be when buying first gen games for new consoles. Imagine how comforting the Final Fantasy name will be to people looking for games in that genre. Then there all the FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 people who will want to give ARR a try. Plus how many WoW and GW2 players arent really that happy with the current state of their gaming. 

For new players playing their very first mmo ARR has a VERY friendly learning curve. Veteran players have even complained that it was too easy. However it has been confirmed that as you progress towards endgame the games challenges become more daunting. To the point of having to quit ones job in order to devote all of ones time to the game just to "first achieve" the games endgame rewards. There is also the ability to progress smoothly in game through both solo and group play.

It is commonly known that 1.0 had one of the deepest crafting systems in all mmos. This will be retained in 2.0, plus a crafting driven economy. Add a combination of 16 classes and jobs to choose from at release. Along with 18+ dungeons that range from easy to extremely hard. Player housing. Deep storylines.A beautiful soundtrack and the best graphics of any mmo to date. Plus  one can really become attached to whatever character you create because one toon can be any and every job. So goodbye Alts.

Then theres the attraction for the ladies. In-game marriage. Ceremony and everything.(yes wedding gowns) Being able to dress up ones mount in various outfits. Minions or pets that walk along beside you. And man some of these are pretty impressive. Yes I know these can be found in several mmos, but none of them look as good as these. Imagine a hand clad in a mickey mouse glove that follows you pointing at stuff. Then theres the outfits. Anything from full body armor, to dresses with purses filled flowers, to bikinis. Finally the ability to craft items for your house. Anything from wallpaper to roofing. And the ability to mount the heads of monsters you've slain over your fireplace to show off for you guest.

All of these things and many more have me convinced that this will be the greatest mmo in years and possibly for years to come.

Edit: So I wrote this back in May and here it is now September almost 2 weeks after launch. As you can see I got flamed by most who thought I was nothing short of an idiot for posting my prediction.

Funny how SE just posted info of breaking their record with 325k players online at once. Many of you said this game would not get 100k subscribers. The company actually had to stop all digital and retail sales because they didn't predict so many people would be playing and their servers couldn't handle the influx.

This hasn't happened since....... Wait for it.... World of Warcraft.

Even with all the technical problems with servers the past week, players keep coming back trying to get into the game.

So I just have one question. Where are all the naysayers? Did you crawl back into your bitter, jaded and ignorant holes?

Well, I'll be back in another couple of months after the first major update. I'm predicting the game will continue to grow even far beyond what it has accomplished up till now.

Really!? Guild Wars 2's recort is +460k players online at once. And this is just an example. You can't decide a game is fail or succes with just first month numbers. Swtor and Warhammer Online had the best numbers in their time. And look at them now -_- .

And the majority of FFXIV's players are old players with free game time.

Sorry but, you like it or not the biggest succes since WoW is Guild Wars 2...

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    You do realize there have been games that are BETTER then wow that have been released since its launch right? The only difference is they didn't have the issue of having much more competition and a more established player base. Silly to really say 'greatest mmo since WoW' when there is a difference between being great and being popular.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

here is a link to the success of FFXIV ARR launch

FFXIV is a sub based game more over PC sales don't look all that good compared to other recent MMOS. Too soon to jump to 'success' bandwagon. The real test will come after the free month is over.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    I do think this is my personal favorite MMO since WoW. After half a month with it I still feel fully compelled to log in and play, and still feel overwhelmed with the amount of possible things I could be doing at any given time. My friends are all enjoying it, the multi-classing is satisfying and adds additional content as well as possible future content. The dungeons are, while not as old-school as I'd like, very satisfying even if somewhat easy for the first 35 levels. They feel like dungeons, winding corridors and collecting keys and what not, things long gone from RPGs. The bosses are surprisingly well designed and their graphics are beautiful, the towns, cities, zones, all of them are totally unique and beautiful. The music is instantly catchy and memorable. The graphical art style is brilliantly mixed between low-fantasy and Japanese artwork (Reminds me a lot of EQ2 on the PS3 version.) Lots of things to love, it won't do what WoW did but it's bringing my back to an era where I actually logged in because I wanted to play the game and keep up with friends. That's an era I thought long gone. 

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Hey this looks like a good thread to read at lunch. For now the only thing i have to say about this statement "Greatest mmo since WoW" is "Better than" actually.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Funny how SE just posted info of breaking their record with 325k players online at once. Many of you said this game would not get 100k subscribers. The company actually had to stop all digital and retail sales because they didn't predict so many people would be playing and their servers couldn't handle the influx.

Really!? Guild Wars 2's record is +460k players online at once. And this is just an example. You can't decide a game is fail or succes with just first month numbers. Swtor and Warhammer Online had the best numbers in their time. And look at them now -_- .

I'm happy for FF14 success but agree w GW2 rebuttal

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/28/guild-wars-2s-first-birthday-by-the-numbers/

specific details about what record was broke w the 325k
    http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08/29/final-fantasy-xiv-breaks-more-records-with-218000-concurrent-connections-players-will-receive-free-days/

broken the record for concurrent connections (users online at the same time) for an online game operated by a Japanese company

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Originally posted by Arcticnoon
    Mark my words. FFXIV ARR will be the greatest mmo since vanilla WoW. Consider my reasons for this claim. Unlike any other mmo, FFXIV will be released world wide Aug.27  on both PC and PS3. With over 70 million PS3 units sold imagine how many people walking into walmart or gamestop looking for a roleplaying game will be attracted to this title. FFXI at its peak had 500k members and it was predominantly on PS2. Even if only 1% of all PS3 owners buy FFXIV thats over 700k subscribers on console alone. Know that FFXIV will also be released on PS4. We all know how cautious we can be when buying first gen games for new consoles. Imagine how comforting the Final Fantasy name will be to people looking for games in that genre. Then there all the FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 people who will want to give ARR a try. Plus how many WoW and GW2 players arent really that happy with the current state of their gaming. 

For new players playing their very first mmo ARR has a VERY friendly learning curve. Veteran players have even complained that it was too easy. However it has been confirmed that as you progress towards endgame the games challenges become more daunting. To the point of having to quit ones job in order to devote all of ones time to the game just to "first achieve" the games endgame rewards. There is also the ability to progress smoothly in game through both solo and group play.

It is commonly known that 1.0 had one of the deepest crafting systems in all mmos. This will be retained in 2.0, plus a crafting driven economy. Add a combination of 16 classes and jobs to choose from at release. Along with 18+ dungeons that range from easy to extremely hard. Player housing. Deep storylines.A beautiful soundtrack and the best graphics of any mmo to date. Plus  one can really become attached to whatever character you create because one toon can be any and every job. So goodbye Alts.

Then theres the attraction for the ladies. In-game marriage. Ceremony and everything.(yes wedding gowns) Being able to dress up ones mount in various outfits. Minions or pets that walk along beside you. And man some of these are pretty impressive. Yes I know these can be found in several mmos, but none of them look as good as these. Imagine a hand clad in a mickey mouse glove that follows you pointing at stuff. Then theres the outfits. Anything from full body armor, to dresses with purses filled flowers, to bikinis. Finally the ability to craft items for your house. Anything from wallpaper to roofing. And the ability to mount the heads of monsters you've slain over your fireplace to show off for you guest.

All of these things and many more have me convinced that this will be the greatest mmo in years and possibly for years to come.

Edit: So I wrote this back in May and here it is now September almost 2 weeks after launch. As you can see I got flamed by most who thought I was nothing short of an idiot for posting my prediction.

Even with all the technical problems with servers the past week, players keep coming back trying to get into the game.

So I just have one question. Where are all the naysayers? Did you crawl back into your bitter, jaded and ignorant holes?

Well, I'll be back in another couple of months after the first major update. I'm predicting the game will continue to grow even far beyond what it has accomplished up till now.

Really!? Guild Wars 2's recort is +460k players online at once. And this is just an example. You can't decide a game is fail or succes with just first month numbers. Swtor and Warhammer Online had the best numbers in their time. And look at them now -_- .

Sorry, but it's too early to make that comparison. We'll see what the numbers are after the first month and then see where FFXIV is compared to GW2. You can't sit there and say FFXIV ISN'T the biggest success since WoW when SE hasn't posted any numbers yet. Also, there's a big difference between a F2P MMO and a P2P MMO. So, even then the comparison is really unfair.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Well if FFXIV has 8 million subs in 2022 then the Op was right...Only time will tell.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Peeps seems to like numbers and numbers tells them  which is the greatest MMO.

So ,heres new game for  them.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-7000/most-popular-free-mmorpg/

Thank me laters.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

Originally posted by PAL-18

Thank me laters.

its a stat like anything else

but i think counting registered users is as useless as counting number of player characters

Originally posted by Nadia

Thank me laters.

but i think counting registered users is as useless as counting number of player characters

oh so 175,000,000 registered users is somehow  wrong because you think so.

No ,lets play with numbers now like peeps likes to do,every game below 175,000,000 registered users sucks and Runescape is greatest MMO ever.

Isnt that great logic ?

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.

• Originally posted by PAL-18
    Peeps seems to like numbers and numbers tells them  which is the greatest MMO.So ,heres new game for  them.http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-7000/most-popular-free-mmorpg/Thank me laters.

Success and "greatest" are different things... Guild Wars 2 is a huge success and a great game in my option. I like FFXIV too and I think it is a great game. "But" FFXIV is not a success yet. You can decide it like 6 or 9 months later with active player numbers I think. Don't forget that, for now a lot of FFXIV 2.0 players are FFXIV 1.0 players with free game time.

No ,lets play with numbers now like peeps likes to do,every game below 175,000,000 registered users sucks and Runescape is greatest MMO ever.

Isnt that great logic ?

context: 175,000,000 registered users

June 2013

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2013/06/27/jagex-ceo-mark-gerhard-discusses-runescape-3-and-transformers-universe/

There were 70,000 people (RuneScape3) playing concurrently online at the time of this post.

Isnt that great logic ?

June 2013

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2013/06/27/jagex-ceo-mark-gerhard-discusses-runescape-3-and-transformers-universe/

There were 70,000 people (RuneScape3) playing concurrently online at the time of this post.

Just like you said ,I think 70,000 peeps playing concurrently online at the same time is useless data,like counting number of player characters.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Isnt that great logic ?

June 2013

Just like you said ,I think 70,000 peeps playing concurrently online at the same time is useless data,like counting number of player characters.

Why is that useless data and how is that like counting number of player characters?

Originally posted by jdnyc

Isnt that great logic ?

June 2013

Why is that useless data and how is that like counting number of player characters?

Ask her.

• obsolete5obsolete5 Member Posts: 82
    i front choked some kid purple because he got the kiss from april in NES turtles, my mother save his life or i would probably have had my first kill at age 5

Ask her.

he's asking you

why is counting concurrent players like counting player characters?

i'll explain registered accts and player characters

neither measurement counts active players,

both of them include players that made an acct tried the game for 1 hour and uninstalled the game,  10 years ago

Ask her.

hes asking you -- why is concurrent players like counting player characters

If thats your explanation,its pretty terrible.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Concurrent players during peak time is far more important than total registered accounts.  A MMORPG is like a network in that it's relative worth is directly proportional to the number of connections to it.

Really hard to play a social game when you are the only one playing it at a given time.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

I like how some of you are missing the gigantic elephant in the room.

GW2 - Buy to Play.  Even if it has 460k Concurrent users, it doesn't make it more profitable or more successful than FFXIV.  Of the million playing GW2 how much are they spending the cash shop on a monthly basis?  You can have 10 million people playing GW2, but if none of them buy anything  in the cashshop, GW2 profit will be minuscule.

Compare that to FFXIV, whose director has said that it only needs 400K TOTAL subscribers for this game to go on for YEARS AND YEARS.  Every single person in FFXIV is a PAYING customer unlike the millions playing GW2.  

Hypothetically,

In GW2, if the "average person" pays $5 a month for the cash shop items, and the average person in FFXIV pays $13.00 (Legacy pays $10, some people have $13 plan, some have $15), then you need 2.6X the numbers of GW2 players to make the same money that FFXIV bring in.

What's that in terms of regular numbers?  If Guild Wars 2 has 2 million players, FFXIV only needs 770k players to make the SAME Profit.

Of course, I'm ignoring overhead costs because SE maybe spending more money on production than GW2, maybe the reverse is true.  Also, I made up the numbers above, I know a lot of people in GW2 that don't spend a single penny playing whereas in FFXIV YOU HAVE TO PAY.

All in all, based on the recent recognition of FFXIV as a very solid game with stores being sold out, people driving 6 hours to a remote gamestop to purchase a physical copy, you can be rest assured that FFXIV has a very very bright future ahead of it.

Edit: I didn't even include the money SE will be making with paid server transfers opening up next week.

Originally posted by ZizouX

I like how some of you are missing the gigantic elephant in the room.

there's an even bigger elephant - FF14 on consoles

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

That's true Nadia, but I incorporated that into the total subscription numbers.