Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For Final Fantasy fans only

GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
Unless you're a FF fan, I really don't see the appeal of this.  Its like WoW but with much, much worse combat and an even goofier art style.  I've tried 3 classes (Archer, Marauder, and Thaumaturge) and they've all been underwhelming so far and I don't even want to talk about the awful starting experience, with non-skippable cut scenes and doing fetch and deliver quests.  I didn't get into combat for almost an hour.  Horrible.  I really hope things pick up at higher levels because I can't see many people who aren't FF fans sticking around very long.  I had much more fun playing Neverwinter than this, for what its worth.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Comments

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

I am not a FF fan (only watched one FF movie ever and never played a FF game before) and I have a lot of fun in this game. I only got a lvl 16 conjuror yet though.

Why ? Not sure, I like the old school approach. I liked the challenge in some of the solo instances, even outdoor pve seems to get more challenging after the beginning, but it is too early to judge that.

What I really did like so far is the crafting and the group play. In my second group experience (first group instance was just a push over mob) I nearly got my group killed because instaed of healing I just dps'ed as I learned from recent MMOs that healing is not required anymore. In one group I had a not so great tank and in another one a good one and it made a difference. I liked that.

But if you don't like it, that is really ok. Neverwinter and GW2 are still available. I don't believe that every MMO must please everybody.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I disagree here.  Several of my friends have never played a Final Fantasy game before and asked me about this game.   Several of them have been playing and love the game.  None of them regret the decision.  The only complaint we all seem to have is some of the launch issues, but in terms of the game itself, they  are having lots of fun.
  • LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    I'm a Final Fantasy fan and after clocking in 18 hours of uninterrupted "game play" I will not be playing this game.

After 6 hours I was bored to tears. The storyline cinemas with voice acting was at least well done and put my ole Final Fantasy loving heart in a'twitter.
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

Hmmm, a Final Fantasy game catered towards people who play Final Fantasy games. No WAY!

There's a reason why it's a numbered FF game, all numbered Final Fantasy games have to adhere to a certain level of Final Fantasyness. If not they call it something else, like FF Tactics.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Torcip

Hmmm, a Final Fantasy game catered towards people who play Final Fantasy games. No WAY!

There's a reason why it's a numbered FF game, all numbered Final Fantasy games have to adhere to a certain level of Final Fantasyness. If not they call it something else, like FF Tactics.

This. Furthermore, it is never too late to become  a new Final Fantasy fan:P.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Ginaz
    Unless you're a FF fan, I really don't see the appeal of this.  Its like WoW but with much, much worse combat and an even goofier art style.  I've tried 3 classes (Archer, Marauder, and Thaumaturge) and they've all been underwhelming so far and I don't even want to talk about the awful starting experience, with non-skippable cut scenes and doing fetch and deliver quests.  I didn't get into combat for almost an hour.  Horrible.  I really hope things pick up at higher levels because I can't see many people who aren't FF fans sticking around very long.  I had much more fun playing Neverwinter than this, for what its worth.
    Yeah. Unless you're a FF fan: a fan of one of the most successful, profitable, recognizable, and longest running video game franchises in the entire history of video games.....lol
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I like FF and i like mmos. I find a lot of flaws in FFXIV but i also find flaws in every mmo i play. I love the art style. I love the FF lore, i love the character models, i love the world. It is beyond traditional but it plays smooth and i like it. I also like traditional if theres enough varied content and i see this in FFXIV, varied content (although they could have been more expanded, and more varied). I HATE that i cant go in the water. I also HATE the cooldown system in this game. I also dislike the targetting; with gamepad theres too much cycling between targets, and with mouse its horribly unpolished to click specific targets among many mobs or people.

I do like the game and i hope they improve all the flaws it has and i hope that if its a success in the long run they add water content with its fiurst expansion. I will subscribe on PS4, not on PC. I am very disgusted right now i cant even play on any server and by the time a PS4 version launches hopefully everything is settled down.

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

I'm not a FF fan, in fact I hated the original game series and didn't really take any time or pay any attention to it. I do love MMOs however and so far FFXIV has me hooked.

Why? I think the recent spate of free to play MMOs where I could have everything now spoiled me far too much. I work full time so it was easy to justify splashing a few bucks on a pet or a mount thinking that I've saved myself some grind. All I was really doing is just robbing myself of content and that feeling of actually having achieved something, instead I was acting like a drug addict looking for my next short term cash store buzz.

With FFXIV I finally feel like I need to earn things again and the game isn't going to give me an easy way out. Its like reading a book, I can pick FFXIV up and put it down as it suits me and eventually I'll get to that cliff hanging ending I've been waiting for and its fantastic.

I'm also digging the graphic style and the multiple class system (except the gathering system), the latter is like Rift but better.

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94

This game in no way reminds me of anything resembling Final Fantasy. Other than the names of spells, and monsters. 

The game isn't fun, it's nothing like any Final Fantasy I've ever played, having played every FF game, aside from the ones on Xbox, because they were awful.

imageimageimageimage

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I'm going to have to take back most of my earlier comments since I'm really starting to get into the game.  I'm esp. loving the class and job system.  The starting experience is still pretty bad, though. 

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Well nice to see you changing your mind and are the starting scenes really not skippable? I don't really skip cutscenes but I know there is an option to do so.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

ESc let's you skip cut scenes

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Final Fantasy peaked at VII imho.

I really am trying hard to understand the appeal of this game but just don't get it. On the whole it's a mediocre game (imho) though arguably the dungeons and multi class system are pretty neat. On the other hand some things are just bad. The combat is slow, OK that is a design choice, it is also 'sloppy' and 'imprecise' worse than SWTOR and WAR for example that's just bad implementation. It really is not 'crisp' in the slightest. Forced travel coupled with painful travel (6 or 7 clicks to take a chocobo and a menu selection for porter that has no right being there) is a real irritant. 4 zone changes just to get in and out of the super secret society (in addition to how ever many getting there). No wonder its so secret! 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by apocoluster

The intro cut scenes can't be skipped.  I think everything else afterwards can be be skipped.

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by apocoluster

The intro cut scenes can't be skipped.  I think everything else afterwards can be be skipped.

Correct. The way Yoshi designed the game is to ease players into the game, he knew a lot of new players would be coming into the game, and wanted them to not be thrown into the fray, so they start everyone out, learning the city they start in be introducing the various npcs and quests you'll encounter.

• RattsRatts Member Posts: 48
    I'm going to have to take back most of my earlier comments since I'm really starting to get into the game.  I'm esp. loving the class and job system.  The starting experience is still pretty bad, though. 

So far I'm finding that the class system is really the main thing that compensates for the fairly poor combat play.  The GCD is unbelievably annoying, but if you get bored of cycling the same couple abilities over and over with a hard pause at each, then at least you can completely switch classes and do something new for a bit.

The world is beautiful, and it's nice to see so many other people running around.  If the starter cities start to get empty the way they tend to in other MMOs then I'm sure it will lose some of the 'world experience' charm it has now.

I'm glad I bought it and am enjoying it now, but don't know if I'll still be subbed in 3 months.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by Ratts

The world is beautiful, and it's nice to see so many other people running around.  If the starter cities start to get empty the way they tend to in other MMOs then I'm sure it will lose some of the 'world experience' charm it has now.

I'm glad I bought it and am enjoying it now, but don't know if I'll still be subbed in 3 months.

I highly doubt it seeing as the only places you can access the Market Boards are in the main cities this should keep them fairly busy even after a few months of players hitting Max level.