Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: What to Know for 5.4

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The next, and one of the largest patches in a couple of years, for World of Warcraft is set to debut across all servers on Tuesday, September 10th. It is bringing some massive changes to the world, things players need to know. Check out our latest WoW Factor to find out what you need to know for 5.4. Head to the forums afterward to discuss your expectations for the patch.

If you watched the trailer for the Siege of Orgrimmar, you’re aware of how radically the Vale of Eternal Blossoms will change. As seen in the trailer, Garrosh’s Goblin dig team discovered an ancient artifact buried deep beneath the Vale, the heart of Y’shaarj, which provoked the defacement of the Vale (I recommend level 90 characters partake in the Dark Heart of Pandaria scenario if you haven’t already to participate in this discovery). When the patch goes live, the Vale of Eternal Blossoms will be renamed to the Vale of Eternal Sorrows as a majority of it has now become Sha infested. The quest achievement Eternally in the Vale is being removed along with all the related quests. However, all achievements tied to daily quests are still available. 

Read more of Reza Lackey's The WoW Factor: What to Know for 5.4.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Agathos88Agathos88 Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I look forward to playing this update!

-Prior story writer for MMORPG.com

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Gotta love this, in the chaos that is mmorpg's and deciding what to play, I am very thankful for WoW, they make the choice so easy by making everything else irrelevant compared to what they have to offer and 5.4 is no exception. Cant wait to lay the smack down on Garrosh.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I am most interested in the "connected realms" feature to hopefuly fix the gross faction imbalance on my server.  That and the new zone - nice to see Blizzard testing new things in their game.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

You know.....

If they increased the difficulty or let you choose the difficulty of the leveling experience, I would more than likely re-subscribe.

I love the world and the lore but hate how easy the game is, makes it very boring and kills any excitement.

Blizzard should do something a little bit innovative like adding in a difficulty setting for the leveling experience and  like how Vanguard lets you pause your experience gain so you don't out level your experience if you so choose. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by laserit

You know.....

If they increased the difficulty or let you choose the difficulty of the leveling experience, I would more than likely re-subscribe.

I love the world and the lore but hate how easy the game is, makes it very boring and kills any excitement.

Blizzard should do something a little bit innovative like adding in a difficulty setting for the leveling experience and  like how Vanguard lets you pause your experience gain so you don't out level your experience if you so choose. 

You can turn off XP gain in WoW and you could play naked relying only on your weapon for stats.

• gruntbertgruntbert Member Posts: 1

Always the same type of complaint about:

"... they destroyed the class system."

"... the game has no challenge now, too easy."

Yeah, right, so you're a badass old school over powered hardcore raider, and the game has no challenge anymore.

I always have seen this type of behaviour, like que game belongs only and only to one or two, and after so many years they felt betrayed because the current game is not the original version they played. But if the game stayed the same, today Blizzard maybe will have around 1~2 mil gamers. They're number dropped, but is always the same before a new expansion, which is in the horizon.

BTW, if you're so badass, try the following: http://wowironman.com/

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I won't be playing, sounds neat though!
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by gruntbert

Always the same type of complaint about:

"... they destroyed the class system."

"... the game has no challenge now, too easy."

Yeah, right, so you're a badass old school over powered hardcore raider, and the game has no challenge anymore.

I always have seen this type of behaviour, like que game belongs only and only to one or two, and after so many years they felt betrayed because the current game is not the original version they played. But if the game stayed the same, today Blizzard maybe will have around 1~2 mil gamers. They're number dropped, but is always the same before a new expansion, which is in the horizon.

BTW, if you're so badass, try the following: http://wowironman.com/

What the heck are you going on about? I can only guess that your referring to me.

Yes the leveling experience is way too easy and this is coming from an old grey haired man who likes to ride his Harley, ATV, hunt and fish in the beautiful outdoors.

(mod edited)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Vivasvan I've been working through the raids again in wow 1.12 in the last year, and it is a hell of a lot more fun and cohesive than the mess it is today. Re difficulty, chun 40 is no walk in the park at level 60 when you first reach him- and a hell of a lot more exciting than the 'fights are difficult because you need to memorise 45 boss triggerathons'. Not to mention, no such thing as easy mode.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Oh and trash OMG - something in the way of my optimised path to ipxx.!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

For what it is the game is pretty solid. My biggest beef is that the first 80 levels are a complete waste of time. It is easy mode just there to get you to 80 to at least see a "slightly" tougher scaling from 80-85. The game really only exists from 85-90.

Sadly there is no way around this as Wow is a tiered raiding game where horizontal scaling is completely off the charts. This sort of game only exists when new when leveling from level 1 is relevant. This is why so many chase off to other mmo's. They want the feeling that the game is relevant before hitting the cap. Of course the irony of this is that nearly every single other mmo out there still has vastly inferior end game content of this nature than Wow.

So the end result is that you have to realize leveling my horizontal scaling mmos will always be completely meaningless. The sad reality of this is that your mmo does not have the level of end game content as Wow and once done leveling the vast majority of players in their shiny new mmos will realize this, then leave and then start the cycle all over again.

I simply cannot wait for some of the new sandbox style mmos to come out. Until that time I will play Wow. Not because it is my favorite or even what prefer to play. I simply face the harsh reality that every other mmo's weaknesses aren't as bad as Wow's nor are their strengths as strong as that of Wow. There are many features of other games I like better but balancing those against the massive weaknesses make those games unplayable (i.e skill system, cash shop, combat).

You stay sassy!

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Got to love those people who complain about people complaining. Or those ones who want to turn down your opinion. Either way, it still doesn't change the fact that Blizzard has and will always cater to the masses. Which means:

1. Easy gameplay

2. Repetitive grinding

Have I played Wow, Yes.

Do I play now, No.

Will I ever, No.

Can I make a comment on this post, Yes

Why, because.

People need to understand Blizzard was never this type of company until about 6 months before Activision signed on. They gave them a formula for success by dumbing down there games and it works. Want to know why? Because people simply enjoy dumb shit. Look at Vine, a seven second video app. Seven freaking seconds and people are amazed by it. This world will kill itself by just being dumb. Rest my case, and enjoy your patch.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by mackdawg19

Got to love those people who complain about people complaining. Or those ones who want to turn down your opinion. Either way, it still doesn't change the fact that Blizzard has and will always cater to the masses. Which means:

1. Easy gameplay

2. Repetitive grinding

Have I played Wow, Yes.

Do I play now, No.

Will I ever, No.

Why, because.

People need to understand Blizzard was never this type of company until about 6 months before Activision signed on. They gave them a formula for success by dumbing down there games and it works. Want to know why? Because people simply enjoy dumb shit. Look at Vine, a seven second video app. Seven freaking seconds and people are amazed by it. This world will kill itself by just being dumb. Rest my case, and enjoy your patch.

Stop making sense.  The entitlement generation and WoW fanboi only knows mindless raiding and easy games that 8 year old kids can successfully raid in.  The sad thing is that Blizzard's formula has destroyed this genre.  The funny thing is many of these new MMO gamers will complain about EQs grinding of levels but will run the same raid dozens of times for a piece of gear that is useless upon then the next expansion.  Irony...

• feztoniofeztonio Member UncommonPosts: 60

I disagree. I found the leveling - at least at 85 to be actually too difficult.  i was in purple end-raid gear all enchanted and gemmed properly and landing in the new content i was getting smacked around pretty heavily and it took a long, long time to kill things. 

between that and the skill tree decimation and the skills being dumbed down I lost interest in the expansion after a day or so. I don't think i got any one of my 11 geared 85's even to lvl 86.

I tried it out and it wasn't for me so I've stuck with SWTOR. it's ashame as I've got years dedicated to my WOW account and the time it took to lovingly level 11 toons to 85 and raid gear / pvp gear them, the tons of gold to enchant and gem the gear and getitng my toon's gear appearance slots to look 'just right'

but ultimately I didn't care for the expansion and the direction of the game so I bowed out. haven't been back since and don't mind in the least. I wish it were different as I've been around since vanilla. what can ya do right?

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by mackdawg19

1. Easy gameplay

2. Repetitive grinding

Have I played Wow, Yes.

Do I play now, No.

Will I ever, No.

Why, because.

Stop making sense.  The entitlement generation and WoW fanboi only knows mindless raiding and easy games that 8 year old kids can successfully raid in.  The sad thing is that Blizzard's formula has destroyed this genre.  The funny thing is many of these new MMO gamers will complain about EQs grinding of levels but will run the same raid dozens of times for a piece of gear that is useless upon then the next expansion.  Irony...

Which "entitlement" generation is that? The ones that want  easy-mode WoW-esque themeparks or the ones that demand "good old hardcore" UO-esque sandboxes that there is almost no market for.

Just curious.

• NurofenNurofen Member Posts: 32
    And noone has mentioned that WoW is subscription based, 9 pounds a month, which for comparison is what I pay for my monthly phone contract, is almost twice as much as lovefilm and netflix, is almost as much as the fixed monthly charges on the home phone line and so on.
  • Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    I absolutely love how they keep "socking it" to the pve carebears. :D
  • Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Which "entitlement" generation is that? The ones that want  easy-mode WoW-esque themeparks or the ones that demand "good old hardcore" UO-esque sandboxes that there is almost no market for.

Just curious.

The ones that need/require subsidized gaming. They are the "them." The guy you just try to avoid or ignore into non-existence.

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

In addition, all purchasable gear introduced in Mists of Pandaria that once had a reputation requirement will no longer have such a restrictriction. Additionally, this gear can now be purchased with Justice Points instead of Valor Points.

This is the reason I gave up on WoW. They trivialize the loot in every major patch. All your hard work in raids and faction grinding is for nothing. All that hard work you did to get that gear will be pissed on by Blizzard, time and time again.