Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best trolling experience you have ever had?

Every good MMO has those annoying but random moments when someone has pulled off an amazing troll that made you stop questing and go, "WTF!?!?!"

In vanilla WoW, I remember standing around in Stormwind derping around trying staring at an instance marker in the canals between Old Town and the market area. That beautiful little swirly vortex was perplexing me and I was trying to think of everything I could to get past those iron bars. WHEN SUDDENLY...a 50 foot giant monster appeared from nowhere only to one hit me and kill me. I was completely taken aback and wondered, "How can this happen in a sanctuary?"

I respawned at the GY which was way the hell out near Eastvale Logging Co. and made the long trek back to SW only to discover the entire city was under siege by this enormous titan thing. Me, being a courageous level 19 Gnome Warlock hurried into the fray only to get one-shotted by what appeared to me to be a volley of Shadow Bolts. Level 60s were running around screaming at the noobs to immediately vacate the area because apparently, if the Titan kills one person, it resets his health (or he gains a bunch back). It took probably 30 minutes for the guy to die and I had a blast being there.

I am really not sure what the hell happened or how this thing came to be, but I was told that a hunter with the skill "feign death" could kite this monster from a high level area two or three zones away. Although the QQ level was high (Blizzard quickly patched it), I still feel that bugs, trolls, and griefing like this provides questers the opportunity to experience something different and it certainly breaks the monotony of standing in SW watching General Chat. Imagine the mayhem one could cause if questlines or world bosses could be manipulated like this today! I feel the games of today are way too static and feel almost dead because things like this are banned, patched or engineered to never happen.

Do you have any experiences like this and do you feel these things should or should not happen?

Comments

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by Skilial

Every good MMO has those annoying but random moments when someone has pulled off an amazing troll that made you stop questing and go, "WTF!?!?!"

In vanilla WoW, I remember standing around in Stormwind derping around trying staring at an instance marker in the canals between Old Town and the market area. That beautiful little swirly vortex was perplexing me and I was trying to think of everything I could to get past those iron bars. WHEN SUDDENLY...a 50 foot giant monster appeared from nowhere only to one hit me and kill me. I was completely taken aback and wondered, "How can this happen in a sanctuary?"

I respawned at the GY which was way the hell out near Eastvale Logging Co. and made the long trek back to SW only to discover the entire city was under siege by this enormous titan thing. Me, being a courageous level 19 Gnome Warlock hurried into the fray only to get one-shotted by what appeared to me to be a volley of Shadow Bolts. Level 60s were running around screaming at the noobs to immediately vacate the area because apparently, if the Titan kills one person, it resets his health (or he gains a bunch back). It took probably 30 minutes for the guy to die and I had a blast being there.

I am really not sure what the hell happened or how this thing came to be, but I was told that a hunter with the skill "feign death" could kite this monster from a high level area two or three zones away. Although the QQ level was high (Blizzard quickly patched it), I still feel that bugs, trolls, and griefing like this provides questers the opportunity to experience something different and it certainly breaks the monotony of standing in SW watching General Chat. Imagine the mayhem one could cause if questlines or world bosses could be manipulated like this today! I feel the games of today are way too static and feel almost dead because things like this are banned, patched or engineered to never happen.

Do you have any experiences like this and do you feel these things should or should not happen?

Trolling can be funny but it's a no go in this current MMO climate.  Negative interactions between players are suppressed to the highest degree so you'll never see that in most games.  Interactions between players are barely supported in most games outside guilds.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Best one: typing in www.mmorpg.com and clicking a random link.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Trolling ... it can be hilarious and it can be excruciating, like Adam Sandler movies.

My favorite troll was IRL years ago when I worked for a printing company and we sent this new kid to every corner of the building looking for the paper stretcher because the sheets they gave us were too short.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• SkilialSkilial Member Posts: 30
    Real life trolling is grand! We would send new army guys to search for left-side road wheels for our tanks. They weigh 50+pounds and a pain in the butt to roll around. Tank wheels are like any other wheel on cars...they can go on any axle.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198

Some of the most fun I had in WoW was from people doing things the developers never expected or the key here is "planned for".  Those experiences were akin to a sandbox experience and it always saddened me when the developers patched them out.

I'm not talking about exploits that netted wealth like bugging out a boss so you could kill him easier, but rather something that ended up really challenging the player base.

There was a plague that they introduced in a dungeon that was supposed to spread to your party members if you didn't cure it in time.  Someone had the bright idea while infected to recall back to IF and head directly to the Auction House.  Well you can imagine what happened.  The plague spread through the whole city.  And of course it was instantly patched out. 

We also used to summon a doom guard in the AH (sacrificing one in our party) to watch it run around causing chaos, again patched out.

Those types of experiences are what makes games truly fun, the unexpected and the uncontrollable.  But there is always a group of people who moan and complain about things they cant control so the devs have to respond.

Originally posted by Bigmamajama

Some of the most fun I had in WoW was from people doing things the developers never expected or the key here is "planned for".  Those experiences were akin to a sandbox experience and it always saddened me when the developers patched them out.

I'm not talking about exploits that netted wealth like bugging out a boss so you could kill him easier, but rather something that ended up really challenging the player base.

There was a plague that they introduced in a dungeon that was supposed to spread to your party members if you didn't cure it in time.  Someone had the bright idea while infected to recall back to IF and head directly to the Auction House.  Well you can imagine what happened.  The plague spread through the whole city.  And of course it was instantly patched out. 

We also used to summon a doom guard in the AH (sacrificing one in our party) to watch it run around causing chaos, again patched out.

Those types of experiences are what makes games truly fun, the unexpected and the uncontrollable.  But there is always a group of people who moan and complain about things they cant control so the devs have to respond.

I completely agree. As a warlock, I found that summoning the doomguard was extremely satisfying. Remember when you could summon a party member off the edge of a cliff? My wife hated me for that. I'd drop her butt off the cliffs at the entrance to Thousand Needles (before it had water).

I also remember that plague. It was so effective, the Centers for Disease Control contacted Blizzard to get the code for real life scientific replication and experimentation. My wife and I were just discussing how much fun the Zombie event was before the launch of WotLK. Being able to turn your own faction and NPC's to zombies was AMAZING! Too bad people whined and had the event time shortened. Blizzard actually had people cancel subscriptions because a two week event had those "Farmville" players crying that they couldn't do dailies. DO DAILIES!?!? Seriously...most people these days complain there is nothing to do BUT dailies. Well, I guess they got what they wanted.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    the Centers for Disease Control contacted Blizzard to get the code for real life scientific replication and experimentation.

I really doubt that :)

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I always missed these epic world effecting trollings (accept the falador massacre but that was just a lot of people behaving shamefully and stealing up to billions in other players wealth... lot of rage quits over that one) . I think when they end up effecting everyone they often turn out to be a positive, by forcing players to band together where they might normally not. At least in retrospect they turn out to be something a lot of people look back on as signature of "the days".

And, if it is in an open world PvP environment...Trolling is only to be expected. So, I would say it has it's place. But, when it is not expected or warranted it can also be extremely harmful. I don't think that there are a lot of people who grief out of pure malice. Most of it I think stems from simple boredom. They get bored and test their limits and the limits of things around them. I think greifers/trolls exemplify the adage of "Idle hands are the devil's playground".

They just want something interesting to happen. Maybe even to show clearly why something shouldn't be a certain way. It can be funny or really messed up. But, it's not expected and creates excitement...The want for what trolling provides is valid. The means are unnecessary if developers do more to inspire and engage their players.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    i say press d to dance in LoL, enemy cait comes flashing over blue buff wall into our team giving us first blood
  • krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

The Absolute BEST Trolling experience i had happen to me in EQ1. It was referred to as the "D Gate"  < thou why it was called that i am unsure of > . Basically it involved a low level noob, and 2 higher level characters to do the bad deed! It ocurred at one of the 4 Giant Spires around norath, which you could climb up to the top of. Here's how it went down....

High lvl char 1 tells Noob " you can "Invoke the gods of travel" and teleport to any other spire in EQ by someone doing a certain dance then you going to the top of the spire and when told, Jump off..... and instead of falling to your death, you will magically teleport to where ever you want to go!

After a brief discussion that it works, high lvl char 1 says " ok i'll do it first! To show you. 

He then does this dance like moving, simple as if you could watch and copy it if wanted.

Says a catch phrase "I wish to teleport to XXX " 

Then he climbs up to the top of the spire and secretly casts levitation on himself.

He then Jumps, begins floating down and high lvl char 2 hidden nearby casts Invisability on high lvl char 1 about mid way down. Making it appear as if he had "Teleported" away.

2 minutes later he "returns by teleporting back" supposedly . And again tries to convince poor Noob to go thru this.

Once the Noob does, they dance/say whatever, climb up to the top of the spire and Jump to their DEATHS! with a Long corpse run back all the while they take screenshots of them sitting over your corpse as if T bagging you. Then posting screenshots of it on the forums at the time!

It was absolutely HILARIOUS to witness, but not fun to be the Noob, rofl!

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama

A plague solving quest would be awesome if it made people look through lore and find a solution.  Too bad MMORPG don't do many community quest.  Seems like obvious stuff like that would the point of MMORPG's vs. trying to give us single player experiences.  

UO beta was the most fun I've ever had in a MMORPG.   The funny thing is that the crazy bugs and unpredictablity is what made it so fun.   There was a looting bug caused by lag that if more than one person looted the same item it would count as stealing to the person who registered it last.  

Scenario: A thief steals in a town near a populated area and is killed by the guards *teleport noise* *clank* *ugh*.  Everyone around starts looting this person. This was often hilarious because like vultures you'd see a crowd of people around the body and then they would step away from the body stripped to his underwear in seconds.  Sometimes the bug would hit.  Someone loots the same thing and is marked as a thief since the server lag registers it as him trying to take it from the other looters bag.  This person is then killed by guards.  Crowd of looters forms again and repeat scenario of lag induced stealing.  You'd be amazed at the greed of the looters still going for the bodies despite the multiple deaths it's causing.  

Another Scenario:  I found out that if you went into combat while a ghost and attacked either people or guards the guards would go into combat mode and guards would teleport in.   You'd have a screen full of guards in attack mode walking around and nobody could see you because your were a ghost lol.  Sometimes they would attack random people or people just decided to attack wacked out guards.  I was never sure.  But it was funny as hell.  

Lol, the trains in Black Burrow while not always a troll always cracked me up.  I can remember being like WTF when you see someone run past you with a ton of Gnolls or someone let a gnoll slip to the bottom to awaken the horde.  There's nothing like that experience in any game I've played.  

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Arcona
    the Centers for Disease Control contacted Blizzard to get the code for real life scientific replication and experimentation.

'Virtual' Virus Sheds Light on Real-World Behavior

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4946772

SYDELL: Other games like The Sims and EverQuest have had epidemics of a sort, but it was the recent outbreak within World of Warcraft that caught the attention of Dr. Nina Fefferman(ph), co-director of the Tufts Center for Modeling of Infectious Diseases. Fefferman says one of the hardest parts of researching human behavior is that people often act differently in an emergency than they imagine they will.

Originally posted by Arcona

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

Thinking about it more I can think of one good and well deserved trolling. That i have pulled myself. And, previous to me doing it when the opportunity arose, seen it pulled a few times on others.

This is something of a classic Runescape trolling (and as my main game for going on 13 years where else would it have taken place :P yes I talk about this game a lot on here. perhaps to much. but it's my yardstick).

For those who do not know in Runescape there is to the far north a massive dead land called the wilderness. For year this was the main venue for PvP. Although now there are a lot more options for PvP the wilderness still stands as special. The basic rules have long been that when you enter, if you are attacked (hit first) by another player they receive a skull and bones icon above their head. And, if they die within 20 minutes of being skulled, they drop every thing on them (gear and inventory). Which is visible first to the victor and after 60 seconds to any one else.

If you manage to do as little as die without being skulled (though preferably you live through pk'ing). you only drop all but your most expensive 3 items (this includes a money stack...Now, recently a lot of rules about the wilderness have changed. But one thing that remains the same is the level system. Normal wilderness (there is something of a greater wilderness) goes to lvl 40. The deeper in north you go (starting at lvl1 and increasing every 5-6 game spaces or so north). The higher the risk and reward. You have a combat level. And in wilderness you can attack or be attacked by any player withing your level to the degree of what level wilderness you are both in. So, in lvl1 wildy a lvl9 can attack a lvl8 or lvl10 and be attacked by them...But, the lvl10 (of those present as a given) can only attack the lvl9. Both the lvl8 and lvl10 would have to go at least as deep as lvl2 wildy to attack each other. There is also no normal teleporting during an instance of combat. And, no teleporting above lvl20 wildy.

So once in a while, in the normal environs of runescape. one might be standing around talking to people when some upity gerk comes along and...well starts being a jerk. ripping on peoples gear, making fun of their lvl's and names. trying to invalidate anything they say. And sometimes these upstarts are genuinely higher level players who could beat any one there in fight if given the opportunity.

And, this is where someone usually shows them that they are still a newb by a mak challenge. They say something like "If your so good go gear up and meet me at lvl40 wildy by the gate to the fence into deeper wildy and we will see how good you are."

The blowhard will usually be amiable to this (in a none so nice response) and the player tell them "5 minutes to gear up and use different banks so we can't see what the other might be bringing."

The terms sounds good and after one starts for one bank the other starts for the other...But while the trouble maker is venturing with probably their best gear into deep wilderness. the challenger is right back where they were laughing about it with friends. with time to get ready and safely make their way up there...wait around until they realize no one is coming and the careful venture back... you waste a good 20-30 minutes of their time. and with any luck managed to get them killed by who ever might happen to actually be up there. If your lucky they come back and scream at you as you laugh.

I liked the one time i got the opportunity to actually do this to someone who really deserved it...4 times in a row!

The first time he came back I convinced them they got the location wrong and that he left me waiting so I left. And, we agree to meet again.

The second time he came back I convinced him I got held back by a clanmate that needed help (clanmate actually was passing by and saw me and stopped, realized what was happening when the guy came back furious and played along, backing up my story). Then I said "look you don't believe me so we will tp same time to edgeville" (a town bordering the wilderness)...half way through the tp I canceled mine and saw him say "damit!" as his tp completed and he vanished off to edgeville...

So, he comes back a third time. And, says "you start your tp first so I can cancel in time if you do!". I said "fine" and we started our tp's in his timing...accept I set mine to take me to the lode stone 15 games spaces away and around a corner. then walked back.

So, the 4th time he comes all the way back again... And, demands I fight him. Says that I "owe it to him for all that bs"...And I was curious how good of a pk'er he was. So, I walked up there with him. He attacked only a few levels after he was able to (i think like lvl 11-12)...And I won, rather easily. Apparently he just wasn't that good after all. never saw that unit again (I say unit because that is what i call them when they have an almost an readable name that is trying to be leet speek but just looks dumb and like a factor model and serial number... you know something like XDajadIX1337 or xj0hn4Lx).

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

I hate trolling but these were kinda funny.

1. Rogue (Me) stealth in crossroads. I had explosive sheep. I stood by the door to the inn. You can't fight lowbies until they are tagged. They almost always attacked the sheep, because it's weird and out of place and they became tagged. Get yo faceroll on.

2. Hunter (me) in BE newb area. Can't pvp until tagged. Found lowbies questing. Drop Snake trap. Mob they are fighting triggers trap, snakes kill lowbie.

3. Me and my son were out hunting for some pvp. He was low lvl Hunter. He was too low for the area were in (I forget zone) I am grouped and stealth (60 rogue) He taunts /chicken to guys that were like ten lvls higher. They kill him and are now tagged with me. He just kept running around doing that and he loved it.. He was like 6 years old at the time. He is now 12.

Those were some of the ones I remembered.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Anyone remember the cow level in WoW? The legend is that WoW has a secret cow level and if you do a secret interaction with a cow like /dance you will magically port to a hidden cow area. For about two days there were hundreds of guys dancing/begging/saluting cows in the game trying to get into the secret cow level.

My least favourite troll is when a new game starts up and someone goes "WoW was the first MMO everyone else copied it". Because then I have to watch the whole chat being taken over by WoW obsessed players.

Originally posted by Arakazi

Anyone remember the cow level in WoW? The legend is that WoW has a secret cow level and if you do a secret interaction with a cow like /dance you will magically port to a hidden cow area. For about two days there were hundreds of guys dancing/begging/saluting cows in the game trying to get into the secret cow level.

My least favourite troll is when a new game starts up and someone goes "WoW was the first MMO everyone else copied it". Because then I have to watch the whole chat being taken over by WoW obsessed players.

I think that - "WoW was the first MMO everyone else copied it" - is quite possibly the most perfectly conceived troll, baiting comment, in relation to MMORPG gaming. Off hand, at least, I can't think of any thing that would top it easily.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

Back in UO I just had to stand still and think... well sh#$!!! I had just finished finished defeating my first dragon and some guy came by and took all my gold. As I stood there for a moment feeling both accomplished and ripped off, they killed me. After this I was stalked for sometime. They even bought a house next to mine. I must have done something to this person and forgot about it. They would stand outside my house and shoot fire through the walls (was a small sandstone house). I actually got my revenge back big time and never saw them again (relentlessly hunting them down, cutting off their head, placing it on my steps next to their other heads). I'd find them in dungeons when people would let me know where they are.... good times. That persons name in UO was Gary Coleman lol.

In League of Legends my team was destroying in a game. We were about to win it and then BAM, 4 of them surrendered. I didn't even get mad. I just laughed!

In LoL... I troll the trollers. Just yesterday I was completely carrying a game. I had taken 4 turrets, I was 7 kills, 2 deaths and a few assists. Two guys on our team started to flame me for my one death (the first one). They were both something like 3kills and 8 deaths, taken no turrets and were losing lane. I had saved both their lanes so we could team fight. They were talking to the enemy team all nicely but in our team chat it was vile. So as I was close to winning the game one of them called me a queer, the other started saying how stupid my last play was... but in much worse wording than that. So I decided to just throw the game. I wasn't going to give them a free win. I told the enemy team what was going on, ended up getting 7 honors (5 from enemy, 2 from my own team), and we lost!! I don't need XP anymore, and I've got more than enough IP. So trolling a troller is nothing to me. It was funny watching them cry and asking for my help after harassing me so badly. They were raging so hard and here I am just smiling while enjoying my rum and coke :)

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I don't really have it in me to screw with people in games anymore than I do in life. If a complete stranger walked up to me in a game I was really into and asked me to hold for them the rarest of items or an unimaginable amount of currency I would absolutely return it to them when they asked and even try to track them down myself if they never came back. Mostly I've been this way from the very beginning and I'm actually pretty proud of it. Unfortunately, I was young once, and so I have a few regrettable instances from my early days of playing online games to choose from.

Probably the worst thing I ever did was back when I played Ultima Online in the good years before Trammel. Back then uo.stratics was my only real source of gaming news, and one day I came across an article about an upcoming player wedding taking place on a shard I didn't play on. I've always been really interested in these types of things and attended quite a few weddings and even funerals (for real players deaths) during my years of playing UO. I decided to create a new character on the shard where the wedding was to take place right away, because it was going to take place on Ice Island, and I knew it could possibly take me awhile to get there since I had to rely on other players to transport me. I ended up finding the tower where the ceremony was going to be held and logged myself off nearby.

The day of the wedding I was actually running a bit late ended up logging in after the ceremony had begun. But, the moment I logged in, I nearly crapped myself because immediately offscreen I could see the names of 20-30 players pop-up and almost all of them were red. As anyone who had played UO in the first few years knows, seeing a red name come up on the side of your screen instantly triggered a fight-or flight response and personally I always ran (and usually died), but eventually I realized I had nothing to lose but a candle, a book, and a dagger so I made my way toward the wedding party. The bridge and groom were both PKs(Player-Killers) which explained why nearly everyone else was, and they were lined up in two facing rows in front of a Tower's steps leaving an aisle between them and using the steps as a sort of altar. Of course, since it was a wedding, and because games with open-world PvP and Full Loot meant that even PKs policed themselves, no one thought to kill off a wedding guest.

The first rude thing I did was to push myself into the row of attendants standing immediately beside the bride, which meant I was actually standing on top of one of them. The second thing, the thing I regret, was that somehow I got it into my head to take my dagger and attack the bride while they were in the middle of exchanging vows. I don't know why I did it, but assume that it was because I rarely found myself so close to a PK with no real risk and also because I was 12 or 13 and lacked the appropriate level of empathy.

To be honest, what happened next was sort of funny. Immediately the bride's avatar involuntarily went into attack mode and started grunting and moaning as I was stabbing her. I assumed I would be killed pretty much instantly, but because everyone was crammed together, I was sort of hidden behind a character with a larger profile because of his armor and cape, and because the dagger wasn't causing any flashes or big booms no one reacted at all. After about 10 seconds or so the bride yelled out something like "He's Attacking Me!" kind of incredulously like she couldn't believe it was happening or that no one was reacting. At this point, even knowing that my death wouldn't matter at all, my instincts to survive kicked in and in the chaos of everyone shifting around to find figure out who was attacking her I managed to slip away and took off. Eventually they saw me running away and came after me, but because they were piled together, couldn't pass through each other except slowly one at a time, and had left all their mounts inside the Tower, I managed to get pretty far away before they could catch up. Luckily the island, like any flat land in UO, was completely covered in houses, towers and castles and so I was able to find a good place to hide. They went around for awhile using the reveal spell to try and uncover me, but eventually they gave up and went back to the wedding.

It may not seem like much of grief at first, especially since I was just a newbie and did very little damage with the dagger, but being that I essentially ruined what was a rather well planned and rehearsed wedding I think it was one of the worse things I've ever done in a game. Unfortunately these types of in-game ceremonies don't carry the same weight they did back in the early online gaming days so newer gamers may not be able to relate, but trust me when I say it was an asshole move.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

lol... trolling

You got "trained"..

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350
    some months ago i was playing EVE, im mainly a miner (first steps into becoming an industrial character), i didnt know when it happened, but i was mining semiAFK in a belt and a catalyst appeared, i said oh crap im gonna get ganked. yeah i got ganked WITH FIREWORKS O_O......i almost had a heart attack hearing that i was being targeted and fired, only to find that my mining barge was full covered with glitter.....