Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best and Worst of PAX Prime '13

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Another year, another PAX Prime in the books. This week, we’re breaking down some of the best and worst aspects of this year’s show.

This one has been bothering me for years. Why the heck is PAX Prime only a week out from Gamescom? It makes no sense! Sure, North American gamers aren’t generally going to be able to make it out to Germany for Gamescom, so they will appreciate being able to check out all the new stuff. But from a coverage and news perspective? It’s all a retread from a week earlier. Most developers aren’t going to put together two different presentations or demo builds for two shows a week apart from each other. It’s just not realistic. Almost all the news to be made at PAX was likely made at Gamescom a week earlier. Sometimes a developer will have enough news they may hold a little something special for PAX, but you’re pretty much seeing the same thing in most cases.

Read more of Michael Bitton's The List: The Best and Worst of PAX Prime '13.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Wildstar, cartoony sci-fi futurama mmo look...

It's great they are going back to hardcore dungeon skill play.... But dungeons and then cartoony scifi look doesn't seem to match.

when I think dungeon I think of dice throwing dnd dungeons...not cartoon futurama toons with smiles on there faces shooting guns n lasers... It sort of looses its appeal.

I look for a game with exactly what wildstar is doing but where a dungeon is actually a dungeon..

Soon a game will come and do it. MMO community that doesn't visit MMO sites looking for f2p type games is crying for it.

I love fantasy but i'm happy to have Wildstar mix it up with sci-fi.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Where the MMO's?

Over at the Seattle Renaissance Hotel, throwing a party in celebration of a fabulous 1st Year.  Okay, so that's not "all" the MMOs, I guess it's just Guild Wars 2 by Arena Net.  But still, it was one hell of a shindig.    PAX Prime has become an embarrassment for MMO's, as they're completely overshadowed by the 'booth nextdoor', which ends up being the next CoD or Halo game.   By having their own show nearby, parallel to the timeline that PAX is, a game can get it's own major focus from fans and gamers alike, without all the fiasco ridden BS at PAX's show floor.

• CyrosphereCyrosphere Member Posts: 105

I'd be interested in WildStar, except for the fact that it's published by, you know, NCSoft. Given its track record of nuking MMO's from high orbit, I don't see the game lasting very long.

Auto Assault: shut down after ~1 year

Dungeon Runners: shut down after ~3 years

Exteel: shut down after ~3 years

Tabula Rasa: shut down after ~2 years

Lineage 1 (NA): shut down after ~14 years

City of Heroes: shut down after ~8 years

They have an industry record, as far as I know, of a 55% game shutdown rate. Risky investment if you ask me.

Remember, it has to be fun to be a game. Grinding is a bedroom activity, and the point is definitely not to do my wife as fast as possible.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    Originally posted by Cyrosphere

I'd be interested in WildStar, except for the fact that it's published by, you know, NCSoft. Given its track record of nuking MMO's from high orbit, I don't see the game lasting very long.

They have an industry record, as far as I know, of a 55% game shutdown rate. Risky investment if you ask me.

No, no one is asking you.

L1 - 14 years. Like really, isn't enough?

City of Heroes - 8 years. Well that's very impressive.

As for the res, they were very shitty games in their own. After all is a business, if they were not profitable, why keeping them? Just for you and few other to play around when you want?

All in all, Wildstar will do just fine and will be a big hit. Mark my words ..

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by IceAge

As for the res, they were very shitty games in their own. After all is a business, if they were not profitable, why keeping them? Just for you and few other to play around when you want?

I doubt it because most other sites arn't giving it the same fan fare as this site does and I think when people who love PVE actually see the type of quests they will be reading and doing, or when people who are true explorers finally find out how unlike true exploring this hub based game really is, they are going to feel it is exactly the same as most FTP games and wonder why they are paying a subscription for this. When WOW goes free to play its going to completely destroy Wildstar.

There Is Always Hope!

• WafflejskiWafflejski Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I dunno... I think Wildstar will do really well.   know for a fact there is thousands of players out there that like to be in the best guilds, and like challenges.   I for 1 was an avid WoW player, but when they choose to relax their dungeons so all can play, the game got ruined.  WoW was massive when raids were uber hard.  The satisfaction of completing Black Temple or SSC & most of the WoTLK raids, was so great compared to what happened there after.  You may have seen WoW numbers grow because it was easier to compete in raids, but they are not as satisfying.  I dont want to make sweeping statements, so just for me, I believe if Wildstar delivers on complex mechanics for raid environments, its a winner.  I want to be able to think again whilst fighting bosses, and develop tactics.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Need to remember that PAX isn't for the press, and it isn't about news.  It's about giving normal fans the opportunity to see games up close, and usually (less this year) have chances at lots of free swag.  There are things it can be criticized for, but the date shouldn't be one of them, as it's specifically chosen to fall on a weekend where most people have the Monday off from work anyway due to the holiday.  If you aren't there in a professional capacity, that is huge plus.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by IceAge

I doubt it because most other sites arn't giving it the same fan fare as this site does and I think when people who love PVE actually see the type of quests they will be reading and doing, or when people who are true explorers finally find out how unlike true exploring this hub based game really is, they are going to feel it is exactly the same as most FTP games and wonder why they are paying a subscription for this. When WOW goes free to play its going to completely destroy Wildstar.

I don't think I've read a negative preview about Wildstar yet on any major site.  Sure a lot of people are upset because they wanted a free ride, but I for one am perfectly happy paying a sub for a quality game.  

While WoW has "tons of content", you have to remember that most of that has been dumbed down and accelerated.  Previously that content would have been a considerable advantage, now it is a couple weeks of content.  For Wildstar to be a success they need to keep the new content flowing and keep people engaged, if they can manage to do that they will be fine.  

I doubt we will ever see WoW go F2P, they have the best of both worlds right now, they make money on subs and an item store.  The number of people not playing WoW because $15 is too much money is incredibly small, people are burned out, bored , fed up with changes, or unhappy with balance, etc... etc... etc...  If WoW did go F2P it still would likely not affect Wildstar, as people play more than one game, if anything it would free up that sub money for Wildstar.  

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Whilst I welcome a return to a challenging mmo that is difficult & I do enjoy complex raids & group content. I cannot help but think wildstars approach & attitude is another sign pointing towards an eventual free 2 play path. Lets face it most hard ore MMO's have had to go F2P to survive because they are considered niche.

I expect if they don't change their thinking that this above all else will put them on a post release F2P path.
  • LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by jbombard

While WoW has "tons of content", you have to remember that most of that has been dumbed down and accelerated.  Previously that content would have been a considerable advantage, now it is a couple weeks of content.  For Wildstar to be a success they need to keep the new content flowing and keep people engaged, if they can manage to do that they will be fine.  

I doubt we will ever see WoW go F2P, they have the best of both worlds right now, they make money on subs and an item store.  The number of people not playing WoW because $15 is too much money is incredibly small, people are burned out, bored , fed up with changes, or unhappy with balance, etc... etc... etc...  If WoW did go F2P it still would likely not affect Wildstar, as people play more than one game, if anything it would free up that sub money for Wildstar.  

As far as I remember when I left WOW, there was not "tons of content". There were tons fo raid dungeons which no one went to save for farming Kael'thas or the Baron's mount solo, but even that was the last stage before you cancelled your sub and were bored, or wanted to video yourself soloing bosses. Granted, I may have missed a memo, but each expansion's content basically made the other dungeons/areas obsolete, save for leveling through them, right?

I personally just got tired of WOW's model (fast levels, end-game raiding). Pity that 90% of the MMOs out today simply do the exact same thing. I'd pay for a sub for a good MMO, without breaking a sweat. Problem is that most of them are just overhyped and have very little actual substance. If one actually delivers a good experience, I'll be there.

Although, I think the trick is not to read discussion forums. They tend to color your look of the game.