Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how bad is the combat?

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Gravarg

It gets faster the more you level.  Just like any game, if you only play to level 20 then you don't know what you're talking about.  On my paladin I'm hitting buttons faster and more often then any  other game I've played in awhile...

Also, the longer GCD is so you actually think and not mash buttons like other games.  2.5 seconds pressing the wrong button could be the difference between a wipe and victory!

Sorry but that makes no sense. I don't remember any other recent MMO with 2.5 GC. Mind naming a few for us so that we know how fast you are pressing buttons in comparison?

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

It's manageable but clearly not a strong point of the game. For the tank and melee dps classes in particular the global cooldown prevents any flow of combat, with a little lag mixed in it gets pretty bad. Casters do somewhat better but it's not very responsive and fluent for them either.

TSW's issues are quite different, the animations are ... awful and the impact of hits received and delivered completely off. 

If the combat system is a priority for you, you'll probably want to stay clear of both games.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by nephren25

i never played TSW but it is really slow combat in ff xiv. the global cool down is 2.5 secs. so a fast attacking class like the monk just not fun to play but 2nd toon was a glad and it wasnt as bad with the 2h wep that is ment to be slow.

At lvl 30 i had 2.22 sec cooldown on my Monk and that was with medicore equipment and no food to boost the skill speed even more.

I know i will be able to get a third stack of greased lighting later on which will give me another 5% on skill speed plus whatever more i can grab from equipment and food.

As a monk you pretty much have to move around all the time to hit the mob from the right side for the added benefits of your attack (most Puglists i played with so far didnt do that tho) if you take care not to miss the right angle and not to screw up the chain for Greased lighting a 2.20sec cooldown was anything but slow already.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Amegashie

It's manageable but clearly not a strong point of the game. For the tank and melee dps classes in particular the global cooldown prevents any flow of combat, with a little lag mixed in it gets pretty bad. Casters do somewhat better but it's not very responsive and fluent for them either.

TSW's issues are quite different, the animations are ... awful and the impact of hits received and delivered completely off. 

If the combat system is a priority for you, you'll probably want to stay clear of both games.

I play two melee classes. puglist and lancer and there is indeed a flow namely: Use Skill -> Move -> Repeat with sometimes Move+instant Skill being used instead of "Move".  (Yes, you are supposed to move between each attack.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by MMOHO

is it like TSW bad? 

Combat is fun and is not a button mashing fest like some games. The global cooldown actually makes you "think" before just randomly hitting buttons. The slower style appeals to me but some may not like it.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• robrose89robrose89 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by Torcip

Well, it's a Final Fantasy game and teh combat is modeled after Final Fantasy games as to be expected.  If you don't like Final Fantasy game combat then you probably won't like this combat because that is what they were going for.  Every Final Fantasy numbered game has "turn" based combat, if it doesn't they don't give it a number.

And it nothing like TSW combat, nor does the 2.5 second cooldown stay 2.5 seconds or even apply to all abilities. Something that also offsets the cooldown is that abilities have pretty long cast times compared to instant hitting abilities of other MMOs, this is because interrupts are a big part of the combat as likely will be a big part of PvP.

this.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

This stupid thread is 4 pages long really? There are skills that don't share the 2.5s GCD, people seem to be ignoring and skipping that fact.

This thread is such flame bait.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    trust me !this is like vanilla wow.if you don't learn to avoid enemy ,you won't reach end game.primal are the foot soldier of the enemy and already a lot of people have trouble .it get more lively .timing is critical in this game .for interrupt healer ?your group just wiped.interrupt are off cool down so guess what!ya on top of normal duty you have to interrupt.didn't.your tank just lost 75% of his hp?!wait there was 2foe !did tank move or yelled heal dam it heal.if he moved he moves?he's alive.ya this is not wow!I hope s-e stick with the move or your dead.it is lovely!.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

It depends on what class you are.  My caster felt okay because the animations took up most of the 2.5 cooldown.  My fighter felt slow and clunky.

Another major turn off for me was my first fights involved killing squirrels, mushrooms, and ladybugs....  yes, ladybugs. 

I'm sure the game is great fun for many people, but I'm not impressed and not having much fun.  Still waiting on the elusive MMO I can comfortably call home. 

Prove you have to the mettle and might to join the Lancer guild, oh brave warrior.  Slay 3 helpless ladybugs and you'll have what it takes to join our ranks!

• nephren25nephren25 Member UncommonPosts: 143

2.2 secs is still to slow imo dont get me wrong i enjoyed beta testing the game but i didnt buy it because combat was to slow. i enjoy action combat just more fun to me but thats my opinion your free to have yours.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by drbaltazar
    trust me !this is like vanilla wow.if you don't learn to avoid enemy ,you won't reach end game.primal are the foot soldier of the enemy and already a lot of people have trouble .it get more lively .timing is critical in this game .for interrupt healer ?your group just wiped.interrupt are off cool down so guess what!ya on top of normal duty you have to interrupt.didn't.your tank just lost 75% of his hp?!wait there was 2foe !did tank move or yelled heal dam it heal.if he moved he moves?he's alive.ya this is not wow!I hope s-e stick with the move or your dead.it is lovely!.

Besides the fact that you are clearly on the drugs, that is actually exactly WoW. Unless you're over-geared for content you will die if you stand in bad things.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    tank needgo on twitch find one that stream bahamut (4) you all get the point!bahamut is a point in progress your real enemy being the empire.
  • Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by MMOHO

is it like TSW bad? 

The best comparison I can give is WoW combat style,with Lotro speed too pull off said action's.I'm not complaining though,it feels more like an old school mmo with some extras built in.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by AIMonster

It depends on what class you are.  My caster felt okay because the animations took up most of the 2.5 cooldown.  My fighter felt slow and clunky.

Another major turn off for me was my first fights involved killing squirrels, mushrooms, and ladybugs....  yes, ladybugs. 

I'm sure the game is great fun for many people, but I'm not impressed and not having much fun.  Still waiting on the elusive MMO I can comfortably call home. 

Prove you have to the mettle and might to join the Lancer guild, oh brave warrior.  Slay 3 helpless ladybugs and you'll have what it takes to join our ranks!

Have you ever tried to hit a ladybug or squirrel with a lance? I'd stay the fuck away from someone who could do that.

• wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74
    No different from WOW really. If you are into those type of games its not too bad at all. I am into action combat now, hard to go back to spamming number key.
  • cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    The skills are simple and generic. There's no stance dancing or (not a lot of) procs, etc. They are mostly straight forward. That said, the boss mechanics make up for the lackluster skills. Skills are simple on their own, but when applied to actual boss encounters they end up being just right and actually quite fun.
  • fledurfledur Member CommonPosts: 77

FF14's combat is not bad, it just doesn't follow the current trend of action based games...it feels more like classic MMORPG combat style: slower and more focused on cooldown management.

Just like every kind of combat style, some will like, some won't, it's a matter of taste. Personally, after so many "run around like crazy spamming buttons as fast as you can" games, FF14 feels a lot more relaxing. IMO we will have plenty of flying crazy ninjas on EQNext, so no need to ask for that on FF14.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

This but change fighter for Pugilist

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

Well that's a loaded question. 

Short answer? It's not. But that's a subjective opinion. 

If you like traditional mmo combat, it's pretty great. If not, there have been a flood of action mmo's over the past year or so. Enjoy! 

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by wowclonez
    No different from WOW really. If you are into those type of games its not too bad at all. I am into action combat now, hard to go back to spamming number key.

Action combat is just as repetitious and spammy (if not more so) as non action combat.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I've noticed a lot of people saying "The global cooldown actually makes you "think" before just randomly hitting buttons".

What exactly are you thinking about?  is it so complicated that you need time to think about your next move.  And another question,  some say that the combat speeds up later on in the game.  So does that mean you need less time to think about it the higher you level up?

So many conflicting replies in this thread.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• fledurfledur Member CommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by stayontarget

What exactly are you thinking about?  is it so complicated that you need time to think about your next move.  And another question,  some say that the combat speeds up later on in the game.  So does that mean you need less time to think about it the higher you level up?

The combat itself doesn't speed up but the number of skills available increases and while the GCD stays pretty much the same, there area a lot more skills that are not affected by the GCD. Because of this, combat indeed feels faster and more engaging.

When people say that a longer GCD makes you think more, IMO it's the feeling that if you mess up something, there is a longer lockout before you can correct the mistake. It's strange but it happens...you need to play to understand...just like animation lock (which in my opinion also increase the tactical feel of combat).

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by fledur

The combat itself doesn't speed up but the number of skills available increases and while the GCD stays pretty much the same, there area a lot more skills that are not affected by the GCD. Because of this, combat indeed feels faster and more engaging.

When people say that a longer GCD makes you think more, IMO it's the feeling that if you mess up something, there is a longer lockout before you can correct the mistake. It's strange but it happens...you need to play to understand...just like animation lock (which in my opinion also increase the tactical feel of combat).

This. image

My experience as a warrior (tank) has been that if I screw up and use an attack instead of interrupting an enemy's high damage aoe my whole group can suffer because it takes 2.5 seconds before I can correct my mistake. By then the huge aoe is already done being cast and the only hope is that my party members were able to get out of range. Likewise, if I use my interup ability (Brutal Swing) too soon then I have to wait for the 30 second cd to expire. So it makes you think a bit more instead of spamming attack buttons the whole time. Another option I would have is to use an ability that increases my armor or my healing received. It's all situational and requires paying more attention to your surroundings than a game with twich based controls that react instantly. The same goes for healers. If they blindly heal the whole time, they may miss an important opportunity to cc a mob or something.

I think this is a good adaptation of the ATB system and I'm enjoying it. As for TSW combat... that's the reason I don't play that game anymore. I loved the graphics and story, but man that combat was horrible. This is much smoother.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Its ok and I've gotten use to it but its one of weak spots of the game.  For a tab target combat system, its nowhere near as fluid as WoW.  Its not horrible and I can live with it since I'm starting to really enjoy the rest of the game.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

I've noticed a lot of people saying "The global cooldown actually makes you "think" before just randomly hitting buttons".

So many conflicting replies in this thread.

My thoughts exactly, no need to repeat what has already been well said.