Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An honest opinion

Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
I love FFXIV:ARR i really really do . I have Beta tested this game from Phase 2-4 and i am playing in game on Diabolos server now and i am loving it ....... BUT. The game is to easy . You can go from 1 to 50 in less then a weeks time for any DoW or DoM class/job . FATE parties are how you level . You do not even need to do side quests and doing these FATEs after you have picked your Grand Company will earn you GC seals much , MUCH faster so leveling your rank in GC can take as long a 2 weeks or less to be highest rank . This is my one and only gripe with the game . I was hoping that 1 to 50 would take around 3 to 6 weeks if you were hardcore and 6 to 10 weeks if you were casual . Also i have to say Nothing has challenged me yet . Maybe its just me but the game is simple . Every story quest is easy let the NPCs get agro help the NPC win the fight quest done . I have fought Ifrit and Titan so far and both were cake . All the dungeons i have been in so far have been cake . Gruda i hear is a bit challenging i hope so . I am at Level 40 WAR and im stopping my Leveling so my FC/LS friends can also get to around 40 . So all i am doing now is crafting and mining and fishing . And helping with dungeons . Again im having fun but the challenge and the speed of leveling is a blemish to me . Anyone else feel the same?

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

Comments

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    True enough. Though grinding Fates in a zerg gets crushingly dull depressingly quickly. I use 'depressing' advisedly. Try levelling another class without grinding Fates that's pretty slow.....particularly if you are DPS with a 30 min wait for a dungeon and all your dailies (leves) used up. Of course no grand seals for you then. I am not sure if they should make fates a lot less attractive (apart from the dullness of them) or make other things reward more? 
  • page975page975 Member Posts: 312

The game is the same speed as every ofther mmo that had come out in the past few years. I'm not playing as fast as you but I could tell by my standard speed of playing. 

MMOs like Vanilla WoW and EQ2 in its day were slower, but its the same as the norm is now.

You also have to understand that the pace of an mmo is releated to the amount of content developers give to a game not just the set speed. People dont take this into account. Developers can't simply ramp down the speed of play, it comes down to math.

Content vs. speed !

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    You say you're level 40, but in only one DoW/M job?  That's not really the whole point of this game and in fact the advanced jobs require I think it's lvl 15 in two other DoW/M jobs.  Can't  say for sure since I've not been focused on hitting max level with as many jobs as I can in as little time as I can and so my highest job is only level 21/22 with all my other DoW/M jobs at least lvl 10 with the exception of Arcanist which I haven't gotten yet.  As for the dungeons well the difficulty of those are typically determined by your party.  Namely your healer.  You have a good healer then they tend to be easy.  You have someone like me as a healer and you'll be lucky you get half way though.  Which is why I don't play healer :)
  • Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by KyutaSyuko
    You say you're level 40, but in only one DoW/M job?  That's not really the whole point of this game and in fact the advanced jobs require I think it's lvl 15 in two other DoW/M jobs.  Can't  say for sure since I've not been focused on hitting max level with as many jobs as I can in as little time as I can and so my highest job is only level 21/22 with all my other DoW/M jobs at least lvl 10 with the exception of Arcanist which I haven't gotten yet.  As for the dungeons well the difficulty of those are typically determined by your party.  Namely your healer.  You have a good healer then they tend to be easy.  You have someone like me as a healer and you'll be lucky you get half way though.  Which is why I don't play healer :)

My page http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/my/  

lol at the end that was funny im a WAR tank . But again im stopping leveling DoW and DoM so me and my friends can all level at the same time . 

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Perhaps this is because getting to 50 is actually easy.  That doesn't make the game easy.

How's Demon Wall, Ifrit Hard, Garuda Hard, Titan Hard, Hydra, and Chimera treating you?  Are you in full 70 darklights? Anyone can easily hit 50, but there are tons of people that are going to be stuck on these for a long time.

That said, I personally, have not had many problems.  I'm also consistently the best player in my party (healer).  Way too many DPS are just being flat out carried.  That does not bode well for later content.

If SE made the game harder, I think you'd see a flood of complaints.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

The game is designed in a way that you level more jobs and alt classes on your character. So ofcourse hitting 50 on one class isn't a big deal. There are players like me who are aso leveling gathering and crafting classes along with main class and we are nowhere close to 50 and won't be for many weeks.

OP  also forgot to take number of hours played per day into account. So only because OP hit 50 so quick doesn't mean it is some yardstick by which all of us should be measured.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Just because it's an honest opinion, doesn't make it the only one.  I've been playing the game like it was intended and have only hit lvl 21 since launch.  You know... Actually FOLLOWING the story...

"FFXIV is too easy because I did FATE grinding, ignored everything else and now I'm a big powerful lvl 50 that has no experiences in his class outside of AOEing FATES."

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Just because it's an honest opinion, doesn't make it the only one. I don't recall the OP ever claiming otherwise. Are you paranoid? Insecure in your own opinions, maybe? Or, are you just being overly-defensive about criticism toward a game you happen to like?

I've been playing the game like it was intended and have only hit lvl 21 since launch.  You know... Actually FOLLOWING the story... I don't recall the OP ever claiming, or stating they do otherwise. How, exactly, does saying "story fights are too easy" automatically equate to "not following the story?" The OP doesn't say anything either way about the story. So, what exactly are you going on about here?

"FFXIV is too easy because I did FATE grinding, ignored everything else and now I'm a big powerful lvl 50 that has no experiences in his class outside of AOEing FATES."

Oh, I see. You didn't actually comprehend the OP's post. Either that, or you're not very subtle about cherry-picking and distorting what other people say, just so you can bash them.

Got it.

There was a great article here on MMORPG.com some time ago. It was about the importance of reading comprehension. That should really be required reading for some people around here.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Alamareth

Perhaps this is because getting to 50 is actually easy.  That doesn't make the game easy.

Likewise, a handful of difficult fights in an otherwise easy game doesn't make it challenging.

How's Demon Wall, Ifrit Hard, Garuda Hard, Titan Hard, Hydra, and Chimera treating you?  Are you in full 70 darklights? Anyone can easily hit 50, but there are tons of people that are going to be stuck on these for a long time.

Ahh, perfect example. Thank you for helping illustrate what I mean.

You've listed 6 specific fights, and one armor set as examples of "difficult content".

In a game as massive as a MMORPG - even a newly launching one - when the only content one can point to as "challenging", is a handful of boss fights, and obtaining a single set of armor... well... it's kinda making the OP's point.

People were starting from level 1 and reaching 50 within 3 days of launch. Less than a week later, they were completing the main story content, as well as other dungeons, etc - even playing it rather casually (during available time after work, school, etc)

Less than 1.5 weeks after launch people were already getting their AF+1 gear.

That people are able to get through the content that quickly is a pretty huge indication that the game just ain't that challenging over all.... Having some difficult boss fights (several of which are optional) does not make the entire game challenging.

A small percentage of a game's content being legitimately challenging does not somehow make the entire game so. At least not outside one's imagination.

Oh they already did. The level 15 and 20 fights used to be actually fairly challenging, requiring you to actually think, choose targets wisely, have some situational awareness, etc. What happened? People complained those fights were "too hard", so SE made them all so easy that you basically have to be standing in one spot, doing nothing, to fail them.

Of course, that also helps to illustrate the OP's point. The game is just too easy overall.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Wait until you hit level 50 I keep hearing people complain about Hard Mode Titan and I don't believe anyone on my server has attempted it yet but from what I have been hearing from the Legacy players the Coil of Bahamut is supposed to be absolutely punishing to the highest degree. According to Yoshi-P and what players have said it appears to be one of the biggest challenges in recent MMO history.
  • ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by Ayulin
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Just because it's an honest opinion, doesn't make it the only one. I don't recall the OP ever claiming otherwise. Are you paranoid? Insecure in your own opinions, maybe? Or, are you just being overly-defensive about criticism toward a game you happen to like?

I've been playing the game like it was intended and have only hit lvl 21 since launch.  You know... Actually FOLLOWING the story... I don't recall the OP ever claiming, or stating they do otherwise. How, exactly, does saying "story fights are too easy" automatically equate to "not following the story?" The OP doesn't say anything either way about the story. So, what exactly are you going on about here?

Oh, I see. You didn't actually comprehend the OP's post. Either that, or you're not very subtle about cherry-picking and distorting what other people say, just so you can bash them.

Got it.

There was a great article here on MMORPG.com some time ago. It was about the importance of reading comprehension. That should really be required reading for some people around here.

They wouldn't understand it!

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597

Likewise, a handful of difficult fights in an otherwise easy game doesn't make it challenging.

You've listed 6 specific fights, and one armor set as examples of "difficult content".

In a game as massive as a MMORPG - even a newly launching one - when the only content one can point to as "challenging", is a handful of boss fights, and obtaining a single set of armor... well... it's kinda making the OP's point.

People were starting from level 1 and reaching 50 within 3 days of launch. Less than a week later, they were completing the main story content, as well as other dungeons, etc - even playing it rather casually (during available time after work, school, etc)

That people are able to get through the content that quickly is a pretty huge indication that the game just ain't that challenging over all.... Having some difficult boss fights (several of which are optional) does not make the entire game challenging.

A small percentage of a game's content being legitimately challenging does not somehow make the entire game so. At least not outside one's imagination.

Oh they already did. The level 15 and 20 fights used to be actually fairly challenging, requiring you to actually think, choose targets wisely, have some situational awareness, etc. What happened? People complained those fights were "too hard", so SE made them all so easy that you basically have to be standing in one spot, doing nothing, to fail them.

Of course, that also helps to illustrate the OP's point. The game is just too easy overall.

+1 I was thinking the same.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Your point is true and i wish Yoshida decided to do something about it, but what will happen is there will be a mass of players rushing to end game and then crying about it in a month or 2 because there is "no content". This may come back to bite them in the arse!

I myself am enjoying the game for what it was meant to be.... a great storyline, fun combat and grouping with friends to do the party content. The primal fights can be tough, but I like the fact you can re-do without wait time. Some of the early dungeons are a bit easy, but for the most part it is not a facepalm game.... I even have had pug groups that respected and used crowd control (OH, say it aint so!).

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

As of 090913

Why is everyone so critical of FATE leveling as thought it was the only option? It's not. It is one that is chosen among many. I swore to myself when I started this game I would NOT push the game and that I would take my time leveling. I have been slowly taking my time enjoying all the aspects of leveling this game has to offer. It's by far the best MMO experience I've had in years. I have done some levels in FATES so I know what they feel like and I couldn't imagine doing that all the way up? Players are in such a rush to level cap. Why? Posts like these remind me of the old line about the guy who goes to his doc and says "It hurts when I move like this." and the doc says "Well, don't move like that." Players need to stop blaming the game for their own lack of self control.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Yeah, I've seen too many people just pretty much doing anything they can to get to endgame, but there is a good sized world to be explored.  I do FATE's when I run across them, but don't make them my focal point.  I also like to level all my classes for Warrior so that i can take advantage of the skills I can use from other classes.  

There is alot to see and do and the world is pretty awesome, so the race to the finish is almost a waste because you miss out.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

As of 090913

Why is everyone so critical of FATE leveling as thought it was the only option? It's not. It is one that is chosen among many. I swore to myself when I started this game I would NOT push the game and that I would take my time leveling. I have been slowly taking my time enjoying all the aspects of leveling this game has to offer. It's by far the best MMO experience I've had in years. I have done some levels in FATES so I know what they feel like and I couldn't imagine doing that all the way up? Players are in such a rush to level cap. Why? Posts like these remind me of the old line about the guy who goes to his doc and says "It hurts when I move like this." and the doc says "Well, don't move like that." Players need to stop blaming the game for their own lack of self control.

Another astute post by Geezer....agree 100% man

• HEKKRAHEKKRA Member UncommonPosts: 80

And another classic case of releasing a half assed game.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Players need to stop blaming the game for their own lack of self control.

Another astute post by Geezer....agree 100% man

Better watch out or you'll get whined at too by those people.  I agree 100%.  If they want to ruin their game by using FATES to level up, that's THEIR problem when they get to endgame and realize it isn't what they wanted.  There's so much to see and do, people think the end is the point but it's actually the journey.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by HEKKRA

And another classic case of releasing a half assed game.

The game is anything but half-assed, something giving more than intended XP is pretty common in a new game. Grow up a bit, for the sake of everyone.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Gorilla
    True enough. Though grinding Fates in a zerg gets crushingly dull depressingly quickly. I use 'depressing' advisedly. Try levelling another class without grinding Fates that's pretty slow.....particularly if you are DPS with a 30 min wait for a dungeon and all your dailies (leves) used up. Of course no grand seals for you then. I am not sure if they should make fates a lot less attractive (apart from the dullness of them) or make other things reward more? 

I think a combination of both personally.  Allow more things to offer seal (dungeons and guildhests for example) and maybe have a the fate's rewards decline if you're doing them to often (say after 3 in hour you only get 75% of the reward you normally would).

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Tell me again how easy it is when youve wiped about 30+ times on Garuda or Titan HM
  • AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by ghost047

+1 I was thinking the same.

Why does Ayulin feel so compelled to constantly parse semantics to spin everything into something negative?  I'd very much like to know her agenda here.

Anyway, both of the quoted posters missed my point.  Let me put it this way.  It takes maybe two weeks to get one level 50 if you play 3-5 hours a day.  That's one job, no crafting, minimum items.  It's also meant to be easy.  Those of us who are looking to really max this game out are going to spend FAR more time than we ever did FATE grinding on getting the top tier gear so we can be among the elite few who even stand a remote chance of beating the tower.  Thus, when I point out 6 battles and Ayulin claims that it's a small point of a "massively" game.  Well no, those 6 battles are a huge part of the game for us.

In regards to actual challenge, I somewhat agree.  I, personally, can ace just about anything in the game.  The problem is that the vast majority of community isn't even remotely able to match that.  When I PUG I fail.  That's an indication as to how bad players are in this game.  SE couldn't make it harder right now because most people would just quit.  I've seen several complaints about how hard Demon Wall is.  Give me a break, he's the easiest of the 6 I listed.  You can't complain about difficulty when it's already too difficult for most of the player base.  SE has to cater much closer to the lowest common denominator.

I'm not sure how you can blame the game for that.  People just aren't as good these days.  I think that's why I'm waiting for PvP.

• drekzdrekz Member Posts: 27

Fear not.  The new hardmode dungeons are already in game.

The huge wave of Fate farmers are hitting 50 and queuing for dungeons.  If you want a challenge queue for Ifrit HM, or either lvl50 4man.  Here is how you make it hardmode....

1. When everyone says "First time here" *Important step* don't leave.  
    2. Inspect there gear and look at how their weapon, belt, neck, rings, and wrist are all lvl25-30 grays. 
    3. Explain the boss fights like you were talking to a child.
    4. Enjoy wiping with your tank that can't hold threat, your dps that is mashing buttons randomly, and your healer that was running around confused in the corner but is now dead from taking aoe to the face.
    (Luckily, most of them haven't unlocked Amdapor Keep or Ifrit(HM) or they're scared to queue for them)
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Snowdon_Cloudripper
    I love FFXIV:ARR i really really do . I have Beta tested this game from Phase 2-4 and i am playing in game on Diabolos server now and i am loving it ....... BUT. The game is to easy . You can go from 1 to 50 in less then a weeks time for any DoW or DoM class/job . FATE parties are how you level . You do not even need to do side quests and doing these FATEs after you have picked your Grand Company will earn you GC seals much , MUCH faster so leveling your rank in GC can take as long a 2 weeks or less to be highest rank . This is my one and only gripe with the game . I was hoping that 1 to 50 would take around 3 to 6 weeks if you were hardcore and 6 to 10 weeks if you were casual . Also i have to say Nothing has challenged me yet . Maybe its just me but the game is simple . Every story quest is easy let the NPCs get agro help the NPC win the fight quest done . I have fought Ifrit and Titan so far and both were cake . All the dungeons i have been in so far have been cake . Gruda i hear is a bit challenging i hope so . I am at Level 40 WAR and im stopping my Leveling so my FC/LS friends can also get to around 40 . So all i am doing now is crafting and mining and fishing . And helping with dungeons . Again im having fun but the challenge and the speed of leveling is a blemish to me . Anyone else feel the same?

It's like this in every MMO that comes out - players race to level cap by skipping all the content and in this case grinding "Fates" to level quickly. If SE made it so it would take hard core levelers more than a week to hit end cap they'd be complaining it was a grind.

How about actually PLAYING the game...enjoying the story..do all the quests...hell maybe even *gasp* craft! The really bright point of FF ARR is the crafting system. I feel sorry for those players who only do combat and skip the rest of the game.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• PewpsockemzPewpsockemz Member Posts: 49
    Amount of quality content doesn't equal the speed of leveling. They don't even belong in the same category. Least of the game's worries.