Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

This game could have been really good.

BraindomeBraindome Posts: 769Member Uncommon
If it would have been P2P.

Comments

  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member
    Are you saying you'd rather be forced to pay to play NW? Are are you concluding that the game would have been better quality if they asked for a sub fee?

    I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

  • caremuchlesscaremuchless Crestline, CAPosts: 603Member
    Your post could of been better if you would of provided something to substantiate your claim.

    image

  • YizleYizle Atlanta, GAPosts: 517Member
    Originally posted by caremuchless
    Your post could of been better if you would of provided something to substantiate your claim.

    ^ This

  • FearumFearum Cinnaminson, NJPosts: 1,166Member Uncommon
    I don't see how, the game was designed from the bottom up to be a F2P game around a cash shop. 
  • evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    The payment model was the least of the games issues. The game needs better content and more interesting classes.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,940Member Uncommon

    If it is even possible, this game would have tanked harder as a P2P.

    It is unworthy of a box price above $5 and any sub price at all.

    Cryptic makes "cheap and disposable" and that is exactly what this game is.

     

  • DeniZgDeniZg ZagrebPosts: 669Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by evilastro
    The payment model was the least of the games issues. The game needs better content and more interesting classes.

    This.

  • GrayImpactGrayImpact NetherlandsPosts: 983Member Uncommon

    I really disagree, this is one of the few games that would be worse as P2P unless it had significantly more content, and player created content actually mattered.

    As it stands, i cant see how anyone who put more then a few weeks into this game and isn't incompetent would want this game to be F2P.

     

    At least when i played, it was really easy to get to the "End game" dungeon grind and sell items on the auction house, trading for ZEN/AD was not that hard to do and as someone who never paid a dime, i got all the "paid" content i needed for free.

     

    Not to mention, i wouldn't have ever even begun playing this game let alone touch it with a 10 foot pole, i really enjoyed my time with it, but with a subscription barrier i would've never even tried.

  • FestanoFestano Vancouver, BCPosts: 35Member
    And already so good, if it was p2p in my opinion would not have all these active users.
  • TrionicusTrionicus Fort Lauderdale, FLPosts: 497Member
    All I can say is that it felt like a downgrade after replaying NeverWinter Nights: 2 Gold Edition. They probably got off 100x better as a F2P Cash Shop. OP might be a little misguided.
  • ElethonElethon San Diego, CAPosts: 122Member Uncommon
    I wish it was a B2P with a store similar to GW2. I've found neverwinter's gameplay very fun, but can't stand the cash store and the confusing currency system.  
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Phoenix, AZPosts: 823Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Burntvet

    If it is even possible, this game would have tanked harder as a P2P.

    It is unworthy of a box price above $5 and any sub price at all.

    Cryptic makes "cheap and disposable" and that is exactly what this game is.

     

    ^ This. The only way this game could've possibly been better is if Cryptic had never gotten it's hands on it. Cryptic is synonymous with mediocre quick leveling games with an old engine,  little depth and high in game store pricing. To make matters even worse they are tied to PWI.

    image
  • BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,940Member Uncommon

    I actually found out something funny today from a co-worker.

    He was a big beta player of NW and was one of the people that reported the auction house exploit and a couple others to Cryptic which Cryptic then didn't fix for a long while.

    So, to try to draw attention to the fact that people were using this exploit, he started using it himself on an alt acct, over and over, intentionally trying to get caught, and get Cryptic to notice.

    Except he never got caught and Cryptic never did anything.

    So now he has in excess of 67 BILLION refined AD across several alt accts (he was also buying very low level items from his alts in a second attempt to get Cryptic to notice).

    But he got fed up with the game itself and quit  more than a month ago.

     

    So yeah, this should tell you quite a bit about how much Cryptic cares or even pays attention to their own damn game (even when it "costs" them money).

     

  • rainbowrenarainbowrena st joseph, MOPosts: 17Member
    Do you think you can get your co worker to send me some ad or give me one of those accounts lol. Though if he seriously doesn't want one gimme gimme, i mean can you politely ask them.
  • quseioquseio stevens, PAPosts: 222Member

    yea its good till you hit the lvl cap theN   you get to the tedious  item grind, and not everyone is good at playing the ah PAY to Win

    whatever happend to the copious and frequent class additions we where promised?fuck the ranger isnt even in yet and we only have 1  paragon choice !

    tHE CATSIRCLISM was the final straw imo i just wish i had taken advantage of it

    keys need to drop in game and those rune things that guarantee success should drop too im not saying frequently but enough that i dont have  to play  the ah if i wanted to do that  would of became a stoke broker

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,990Member Uncommon
    Agree with Ag Vuk, combination of cryptic/pw doomed it from the start, poor game never had a chance really.

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef of heroes, MSPosts: 213Member

    I don't see how paying for this game would make it any better. It's a relatively simple ARPG using a dumbed-down version of the D&D ruleset (and even then only loosely) with a ridiculously overpriced cash shop, horrible repetitive content, extremely boring classes (several of which are just minor variants of the same class), and run by a company which demonstrably doesn't give one single fuck about cheaters using exploits to not only advance themselves, but to ruin the economy. On top of that, they don't even care that it's costing them money!

    The game by itself, despite my previous statements, still isn't all that horrible if you just ignore the fact it's supposed to be D&D. However when you throw the absolutely pathetic joke that is Cryptic Studios into the mix, the game isn't worth the cost of bandwidth to play it, much less a box price + sub fee.

    I will never understand how shit companies like Cryptic are able to stick around, yet good companies staffed with intelligent people who actually care about the games they make and the people who play them (or at least do a pretty good job of putting on the appearance of caring) drop like flies. Examples include Westwood Studios, Destination Games, NetDevil, Paragon Studios, and so forth.

  • AlverantAlverant Wheaton, ILPosts: 526Member Uncommon
    You do know that some of the people who were at Paragon Studios are now at Cryptic right?
  • NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLPosts: 1,288Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Burntvet

    I actually found out something funny today from a co-worker.

    He was a big beta player of NW and was one of the people that reported the auction house exploit and a couple others to Cryptic which Cryptic then didn't fix for a long while.

    So, to try to draw attention to the fact that people were using this exploit, he started using it himself on an alt acct, over and over, intentionally trying to get caught, and get Cryptic to notice.

    Except he never got caught and Cryptic never did anything.

    So now he has in excess of 67 BILLION refined AD across several alt accts (he was also buying very low level items from his alts in a second attempt to get Cryptic to notice).

    But he got fed up with the game itself and quit  more than a month ago.

     

    So yeah, this should tell you quite a bit about how much Cryptic cares or even pays attention to their own damn game (even when it "costs" them money).

     

    cool story bro. Never happened.

     

    If he wanted to get caught he wouldve just made a youtube video of it or Vimeo video.

  • BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,940Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    Originally posted by Burntvet

    I actually found out something funny today from a co-worker.

    He was a big beta player of NW and was one of the people that reported the auction house exploit and a couple others to Cryptic which Cryptic then didn't fix for a long while.

    So, to try to draw attention to the fact that people were using this exploit, he started using it himself on an alt acct, over and over, intentionally trying to get caught, and get Cryptic to notice.

    Except he never got caught and Cryptic never did anything.

    So now he has in excess of 67 BILLION refined AD across several alt accts (he was also buying very low level items from his alts in a second attempt to get Cryptic to notice).

    But he got fed up with the game itself and quit  more than a month ago.

     

    So yeah, this should tell you quite a bit about how much Cryptic cares or even pays attention to their own damn game (even when it "costs" them money).

     

    cool story bro. Never happened.

     

    If he wanted to get caught he wouldve just made a youtube video of it or Vimeo video.

    Fairly sure he did, but it may have been taken down. The threads he linked to on the official forum and here were deleted. Posted screenshots, at least.

    He was trying to get Cryptic to fix/police their own damn game, and it took a long time apparently. Said people were using the negative auction price thing for a month or more, doesn't matter now.

    I am sure there are threads about it in this very forum. Probably some people doing the same thing, or otherwise complaining.

    Doesn't matter either way. This game is not worth the bother, at any level.

    Just thought it was funny to have so much AD laying around and not even care enough to log in.

  • XasapisXasapis VolosPosts: 5,561Member Uncommon

    This game was unfortunately a money grab scam and I have unfortunately fell for it. It was pretty obvious really, when they sell you Drizzt Do'Urden as a premium package, panther included, in a price higher than a box plus year subscription of an subscription mmorpg, only without giving you anything that the subscription would give as well.

     

    Well, my love for the particular lore clouded my judgement. Still, some wisdom came out of this. I will never touch a game F2P or otherwise that does not give a subscription option that has everything included (with maybe the exception of some cosmetic stuff). Any game that does not offer this option is, for me, a quick cash in throwaway game, not worthy of my time and especially, my money.

  • Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member

    you know what would have made a great NW game one that was made just like the previous ones with newer tech and grapics, but same style of play and fil, oh and none of this MMO nonsence give it a good multi player engine and let the players handle that,

    why you ask, cause turning good IPs into MMOs kills good IPs

    why you ask because when you take something and turn it into a MMO you HAVE to change what it is, and that means its not longer the IP you fell in luv with.

    F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

  • miguelcaronmiguelcaron Studio Head - Behaviour Montreal, QCPosts: 69Member Uncommon

    I agree with most of your comments but for me its a specific design flaw that made me stop playing. I LOVE Drizzt books, read them all and I just finished the last today. Furthermore, I make MMO for a living so I had great expectation for NW. Because just being in that Universe I love, I ''choose'' not to notice a lot of the negatives you all have mention but....

    In game design, there is a junior mistake we call ''permanent items'' It means you can buy with real cash (Astral Diamond is real cash since you can swamp Zen to it) gears that are WAY more powerful than the one you get by grinding. My first time (and only time) I did this, not knowing, I was level 42 and I bough a full set of armor and sword, now at level 55 the gear I bought is still double the value in gold (and power) to the loot I get in any of the PvE mission I am doing so the loot I get.... is useless to me.

    Loot is an important game pillar in story driven MMO. Now that this pillar is gone, a big chunk of the fun playing the game is gone.

    Blizzard did the same with their auction House in Diablo 3 (they just did a pr to say it will be removed).

    Monetisation has to be design WITH the gameplay to make us ''want'' to spend the money and not ''force to''. Done well it can even enhance the fun.

    Regards

    Miguel Caron

    Studio Head Behaviour Online

    Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade

    Chris Robert's Star Citizen

    Studio Head of Behaviour Entertainment on WAR40K: Eternal Crusade

  • BatpimpBatpimp Marysville, WAPosts: 26Member
    Originally posted by miguelcaron

    I agree with most of your comments but for me its a specific design flaw that made me stop playing. I LOVE Drizzt books, read them all and I just finished the last today. Furthermore, I make MMO for a living so I had great expectation for NW. Because just being in that Universe I love, I ''choose'' not to notice a lot of the negatives you all have mention but....

    In game design, there is a junior mistake we call ''permanent items'' It means you can buy with real cash (Astral Diamond is real cash since you can swamp Zen to it) gears that are WAY more powerful than the one you get by grinding. My first time (and only time) I did this, not knowing, I was level 42 and I bough a full set of armor and sword, now at level 55 the gear I bought is still double the value in gold (and power) to the loot I get in any of the PvE mission I am doing so the loot I get.... is useless to me.

    Loot is an important game pillar in story driven MMO. Now that this pillar is gone, a big chunk of the fun playing the game is gone.

    Blizzard did the same with their auction House in Diablo 3 (they just did a pr to say it will be removed).

    Monetisation has to be design WITH the gameplay to make us ''want'' to spend the money and not ''force to''. Done well it can even enhance the fun.

    Regards

    Miguel Caron

    Studio Head Behaviour Online

    Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade

    Chris Robert's Star Citizen

    Miguel!

    its Ariel,

     

    Although it sucks you had to experience that I am glad you did! Now i know you have FIRSTHAND experience at how awful CERTAIN items in the AH can be and how it can ruin the game if it goes unnoticed and not fixed. I cant wait for your game!

Sign In or Register to comment.