Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQL ... EQN

So  i have been reading and watching videos of EQN and EQL. It seems that despite the random complaints about art direction the next EQ will be a true child of the original EQ. It comes down to this for me...

Ever since Morrowind launched its construction set i have wondered why we simply cant do this with MMO servers. Over my years of playing MMOs i have often wondered what possibilities we could have if you had player run servers that were built into the system itself. Now mind im not talking about emulators. I am talking about a developer that starts a project with this in mind. Basically it would work something like you have one server with a standard ruleset. Then you lease out servers to the public for them to develop the world and run it as they wish. If anyone has ever played the ARMA 2 mod DayZ then you know exactly what i mean. The public can "rent" a server and set up what ever ruleset they wish.

The problem with the way that the DayZ server works is that you have little ability to change the game world and there is no incentive to do so. Now here is the idea, If you take the construction set idea from morrowind and add it to EQL where you have complete control to create a world from scratch with the tools provided. Im talking about complete customization of every aspect of a game world using the tools the developers themselves use to create the "official" server.

Now that you have the idea of the level of customization i mean the incentive to do this is you have a server selection screen as usual. Now once you pick the server you get all the information about that server. Does this server host use subscription or micro transactions. Or you could pay a flat fee to access all servers without restriction of which the server hosts get a piece of.

Now what this does is quite extraordinary .... not only do players get an endless amount of content. The developers get there monies from every server that is "rented" from them plus the person or persons running these servers get paid to provide there vision of the game world. Basically the more popular your server is the more you get paid to run it. This takes the development load off the initial developers from having to rush content out to the "official" server and gives choice to the player all the while giving small time developers..... people that either like myself can code but have no artistic ability what so ever ... or those that have artistic ability but no ability to code.... the ability to get into game creation for themselves.

Thoughts ... critiques.... gripes?

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    How does that at all make it a true child of original EQ
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    From what i can tell, its moving away from its roots and into its own, new style. Even the lore is changing.

• Teek6924Teek6924 Member Posts: 5
    By child of EQ i mean in originality. If they follow through with what they say they are going to do it will be quite unique. I was just going into the possibilities of the EQL.
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    How much money Morrowind owners got from user-created mods? Hmm, like, zero? May be there is a reason why it isn't all that easy?
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Grahor
    How much money Morrowind owners got from user-created mods? Hmm, like, zero? May be there is a reason why it isn't all that easy?

Because moddability is not a factor when people are buying a game... heck, it's half the attraction of games like Torchlight, or Minecraft, or ArmA.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Utinni
    How does that at all make it a true child of original EQ

Because it's offering something the original EQ did, an experience that wasn't there before.  Right now there are 100's of MMOs like EQ with variying degrees of depth, difficulty and polish.  EQN is set (not seen) to be a new experience that on paper will progress the genre for those who like exploration, depth and building.  This is all yet to be seen of course, working on paper is different than in practice.

The only seperations that can be seen or surmised at this point are topical such as the artstyle or just different such as an atypical trinity.  EQ meant different things to different people but the main reason I loved EQ was because the world felt both huge and natural while the gameplay lent to player interaction.  It took so long to get to the "top" that the journey was key.  I can see EQN going above and beyond this but we'll have to wait for more information.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    From what i can tell, its moving away from its roots and into its own, new style. Even the lore is changing.

It's more adding to the combined lore in the form of another "reboot".  EQ and EQ2 have differing lore now as well but somehow all connect to the Ethermere.  EQN's differing lore will also connect to the Ethermere somehow but the details, of course, have not been released yet.  SoE has been active in their ebooks though and hopefully more are on the way.