Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how bad is the combat?

MMOHOMMOHO Member UncommonPosts: 55

is it like TSW bad? 

Comments

• nephren25nephren25 Member UncommonPosts: 143

i never played TSW but it is really slow combat in ff xiv. the global cool down is 2.5 secs. so a fast attacking class like the monk just not fun to play but 2nd toon was a glad and it wasnt as bad with the 2h wep that is ment to be slow.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    this Final Fantasy game has combat like WoW. Almost 10 year old combat in 2013.
  • bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201
    What a Loaded Question. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • PuffingtonPuffington Member Posts: 35

Criticizing a Final Fantasy game for slow combat is like bashing a Ferrari for being too fast. 

Guys it feels like a Final Fantasy MMO. 

/nuffsaid

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    It's not bad, it's just not following the current trend of action combat.  This is fine by me, as I don't like action combat in an MMO.
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

Well, it's a Final Fantasy game and teh combat is modeled after Final Fantasy games as to be expected.  If you don't like Final Fantasy game combat then you probably won't like this combat because that is what they were going for.  Every Final Fantasy numbered game has "turn" based combat, if it doesn't they don't give it a number.

And it nothing like TSW combat, nor does the 2.5 second cooldown stay 2.5 seconds or even apply to all abilities. Something that also offsets the cooldown is that abilities have pretty long cast times compared to instant hitting abilities of other MMOs, this is because interrupts are a big part of the combat as likely will be a big part of PvP.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

It depends on what class you are.  My caster felt okay because the animations took up most of the 2.5 cooldown.  My fighter felt slow and clunky.

Another major turn off for me was my first fights involved killing squirrels, mushrooms, and ladybugs....  yes, ladybugs. 

I'm sure the game is great fun for many people, but I'm not impressed and not having much fun.  Still waiting on the elusive MMO I can comfortably call home. 

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91

It's not bad at all.

[mod edit]

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    [mod edit]. I've played both, and I enjoy FFXIV combat a lot more. Sure, it's a bit simple and lacking during the first few levels, but it becomes more complex and tactical as you level your classes. In fact, it is easily one of my top 3 combat systems I have ever played. And I've played a lot...

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    The funny thing about ff14 combat is it's nothing like final fantasy combat
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    2.5 gcd timer that can be reduced via equipment and you also have skills that operate off the gcd. plus the monsters like to use skills all the time so you need to watch out for those at the same time. the point is, there is a lot of things to worry about doing within those 2.5 seconds of gcd.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

right because final fantasy 1 through 13 all used the same exact combat system. /sarcasm

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

How is it not? It's an MMO version of turn based combat. Nearly Identical to FF12 or 11 and even resembling 13 or any other FF that had ATB combat. The global cool down is trying to accomplish this.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It was pretty dry with a single class up to L20 or so.

Once I unlocked cross class abilities and some jobs, it gets a whole lot more involved, even with the longer GCD.

One thing I would like to add is that with the GCD, it because more about strategic choice rather than mashing the keys fast enough to get off all your abilities. Those games are fun too for their own reasons, but when you can die because you made a poor choice in what ability you used can do wonders for MMOs.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by Torcip
    One thing I would like to add is that with the GCD, it because more about strategic choice rather than mashing the keys fast enough to get off all your abilities. Those games are fun too for their own reasons, but when you can die because you made a poor choice in what ability you used can do wonders for MMOs.

Agreed.

I was going to say it's more strategic, and planning your choices than other mmo's where you just bash as many keys as you can.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • Cliff1963Cliff1963 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    as an 'old' MMO-player, who can't compete with the fingerspeed adhd kids, I am positively surprised by the 'slow' combat with the 2,5 second GCD. Some abilities fall out of that GCD, but all together it gives me time to play the abilities I think are appropriate.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

It gets faster the more you level.  Just like any game, if you only play to level 20 then you don't know what you're talking about.  On my paladin I'm hitting buttons faster and more often then any  other game I've played in awhile...

Also, the longer GCD is so you actually think and not mash buttons like other games.  2.5 seconds pressing the wrong button could be the difference between a wipe and victory!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    I m playing both (philcon on tsw)((kalam meckhar on ff14)and I can say the 2.5 s CD is more fun ,why!lot more to do!you meat shield for in tsw?no buggy its just a long fight.in ff14 you face for ?you die.people forget to auto attack ,don't !you need it .2.5 s is required .want a free tip?make your whole group rotate at end game it makes enemy way less likely to kill group.the enemy circle with arrow pointing at you isn't there for show!its to warn you:you are about to be dead!ff14 combat is awesome!crafting?last time I met this good was in eq2 .but here ?lol imagine raiding mechanic meet crafting!one warning ,don't use gold .and only use it for repair.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by funcon

This style combat is older than 10 years ;)

As is the "new" action combat.  These threads/posts at least keep the forums lively.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by Torcip

How is it not? It's an MMO version of turn based combat. Nearly Identical to FF12 or 11 and even resembling 13 or any other FF that had ATB combat. The global cool down is trying to accomplish this.

There is a difference between turn based combat and ATB, but you are right, this is just the direction in which FF was going all the time. It was a classical turn based combat up until V or VI (don't remember), after that it was ATB. So if someone played only until then, he might find new system not fitting.

The thing is, ATB was awesome back in the 2D, but the more realistic the game becomes, the more ridiculous the whole half turn half action looks like. Was fine when a sprite was static and attacked when you commanded it too, but now a fully animated 3d model just standing in front of monster waiting together with it might be a bit immersion breaking for players new to the IP.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by funcon

I don't remember WOW having 2.5  GC?

• RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112

It comes down to this. If you like mashing buttons fast and being able to change tactics instantly in real time without thinking then you will be disappointed. If on the other hand you like to have time to make tactical choices based on visual cues on the screen and like turn based strategy gaming, you will love this combat compared to the "action combat" trending everywhere else.

FFXIV has lots of faults, but the combat system is not one of them imo.

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

Remember when you could stand still in an MMO and press 1 2 3 4 ... 4 3 2 1..yep that's basically combat in FFXIV.

Its classic mmo style combat. Pretty boring with lots of sparkles. But not horrible bad.