Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cut scenes without voice suck

Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
There's finally a cure for altitis.  Forcing me to watch the cut scenes for 10 - 15 minutes just to get into the game is bad enough, but having to do it with no voice is just painful.  BLAH! 

Comments

• beej1986beej1986 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    • Originally posted by Deathstrike2
    There's finally a cure for altitis.  Forcing me to watch the cut scenes for 10 - 15 minutes just to get into the game is bad enough, but having to do it with no voice is just painful.  BLAH! 

I like the game, but I agree. Not only that, when there is voice acting its random. It might happen for half of a dialog and then stop, or for one part of a main quest and not for the next. Its like they had a small budget and voiced the quests until the money ran out, but did nothing in order. Its really random. But hey, when its done, its good.

CENTER]image[/CENTER]

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

I agree cutscenes without voice is very odd.!!!

It makes the game feel bad, they  should have skipped the cutscenes all together,!!

I understand voice overs not beiing a huge priority since the re-release of the the game, better put resources else where

But cutscenes without voices makes the game feel strange..

Also, the use of  ingame E-motes in the small cutscenes feels odd aswell, there is far to few e-motes in this game for it to feel serious..They should really have skipped the cutscenes..

Othervise ..Great Game :) 

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I both agree and disagree. It's annoying to watch cut scenes without voice overs compared to watching them with voice overs, but I'd rather have cut scenes  than nothing at all. It helps tell the story and helps immerse me in the world. I just look at it this way. DAOC and SWG only had large ass chat boxes to tell their story with inanimate NPC's. FF14 is a step up. 

Has anyone else notice that the NPC's lips don't sync with the words? Maybe their lips are speaking Japanese...

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    I dislike all the posturing, nods and lingering entries and exits. Get to the point already.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I can't get into the story because of this. What's even worse is the bad translations and the fact that the voice actors actually speak the translations.  Mayhap, pray, etc.

I find my self fast clicking through main story stuff even faster than the side mission junk.  I only pay attention when there's voicing and even that is bad. Nothing more awkward and annoying than badly translated old english [insert stupid overacting emote].

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • VezlinVezlin Member UncommonPosts: 35

I'm with Nate on this. While the delivery could be way better, it's not a bad plot and I've actually enjoyed about it and felt more involved with the characters and the world than the likes of TOR and GW2, despite their story focus and voice acting. That said, had everything been voice acted, it would have been much, much better, and they should have some means of alerting you to which will be and won't be. As a general rule of thumb, though, if it seems like a major main quest story scene, it'll probably have voice acting. Not, HEY HERO, YOU SHOULD STOP BY TODAY, but the moments where, y'know, major stuff is going down. They kick in most notably once you're introduced to The Waking Sands, when you deal with Faction Leaders, and when you're about to go into the major bossfights labeled as 'Trials.'

Also, XIV is one of the first new games in... as long as I can remember, except for WoW--Sorry if I just haven't noticed any--to have all characters move their lips whenever you speak in say or party. I'm pretty sure they just use that for the NPCs in cutscenes. Better than no lip movement at all, but lip synching would've been nice, too. Looking at this and the server issues, they probably had a hard time with their budget. I'm glad the really seemed to focus their efforts on the game itself, but it'd be nice to see them go back and polish up the plots with patched in voice acting and lip synching. Stranger's happened. Like, say, a certain company going back and rebuilding a major MMO from the ground up.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Anyway, best not to spunk the lions share of the budget on voice talent like *cough* SWTOR for example.
  • bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Yeah, the no voice cut scenes is the only thing that is really disappointing to me. I think the story is great and I am reading every quest on my journey, but I am always a little taken aback when I get a cut scene with no voice, or even worse one with half voice over and the other half... not.  I wish they just hadn't done the cut scenes at all - I would be fine with bubble text on the NPC, I would still read it!

Oh well, maybe if they do really well they will add it in later - or at least do as they said they were gonna do and give us the entire story quest voiced - so far I have gotten about 1/2 to 1/4 of mine voiced :(

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by Gorilla
    Anyway, best not to spunk the lions share of the budget on voice talent like *cough* SWTOR for example.

True that. I would rather have a great overall game, minus some voice overs, than a game with nothing but grande voice overs and no game worth playing!

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Meh, doesn't bother me that much, I usually end clicking halfway through in voiced cut scene of almost all games because I read a lot faster than they act.  It takes very good voice acting to get me to listen to a whole sentence. So the no voice thing doesn't bother me at all.  I do find it weird that half a cut scene will be voiced or the middle part is missing voice while the start and end have it. They probably wanted to voice everything but SE didn't want to put too much money into this game not knowing if it would succeed, quality voice acting is very expensive.  Expect any expansion to have a lot more consistent voice acting if the game ends up doing very well, which it is certainly on track to do so.
  • dwarfkinglordsdwarfkinglords Member UncommonPosts: 75

with other triple A games like wildstar providing amazing fun personalities and voices for the npc and cut scenes.. i dont know how FF can get away with it..

i think its really lazy of them and the world is so dead in that game... everything feels bland and not alive..

funny people claim "its about the story" whats the point when you have stupid moving mouths and reading text... it sucks, and not expected in modern mmos.. its a standard at this point

• ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87

I guess I'm from the generation that enjoys reading. I personally hate voice acting in MMOs and understand why it will be less and less implemented. It cost a ton and does little, very little to make a game better.

Again, voice dont make or break a game. Gameplay does, if you want to hear a sexy voice there are hotlines for that.

Originally posted by Elbone

I guess I'm from the generation that enjoys reading. I personally hate voice acting in MMOs and understand why it will be less and less implemented. It cost a ton and does little, very little to make a game better.

Again, voice dont make or break a game. Gameplay does, if you want to hear a sexy voice there are hotlines for that.

people wanna hear voice acting of the characters to make the feel more alive... why the hell would you say a pointless line like if you wanna hear sexy voices use hotlines??? wtf 

elitest anti change, anti everything different from their old ancient mmo are truly annoying

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

I can't get into the story because of this. What's even worse is the bad translations and the fact that the voice actors actually speak the translations.  Mayhap, pray, etc.

I find my self fast clicking through main story stuff even faster than the side mission junk.  I only pay attention when there's voicing and even that is bad. Nothing more awkward and annoying than badly translated old english [insert stupid overacting emote].

Mayhap that's how they talk in Eorzea.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

As an older gamer the lack of voice-overs is actually what's keeping me from getting the game.

I have no problem with reading quests, but I get anti-immersed when there is a cut-scene, lips are moving and it's all sillent.

And then suddenly at I thought level 7ish or even 10ish can't recall there is this mainstory quest where suddenly their are voice overs.

In open beta 3 I actually hoped they left out the voice overs for release, seems not the case. Still a shame. Rather have pure tekst boxes then seeing characters lip sink cutscene's without voice.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Really? Read it out loud .....wait just had a thought.....OMG you can then make up a voice and just take over the whole cut scenes!

Ah.... haha. I know what you mean just goes dead. Played the Elder scrolls mmo and I was shocked they were talking!

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

Really? That is not a bad translation, it's how people in this world talk. Different races also have different dialects and words. They say Mayhap, Anyroad and other things. This is deliberate and is part of the lore.

You miss out on a great story. It's not the translation, it's your comprehension that is bad. 

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

And yet TSW managed to do it without the enormous budget of SWTOR. The voice acting in TSW is top notch a lot better than SWTOR imo.

So i disagree that you need to allocate a very big part of your budget towards quality voice overs.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by nate1980

I both agree and disagree. It's annoying to watch cut scenes without voice overs compared to watching them with voice overs, but I'd rather have cut scenes  than nothing at all. It helps tell the story and helps immerse me in the world. I just look at it this way. DAOC and SWG only had large ass chat boxes to tell their story with inanimate NPC's. FF14 is a step up. 

Has anyone else notice that the NPC's lips don't sync with the words? Maybe their lips are speaking Japanese...

I agree and will add remember voice acting is very very expensive, and doesn't always work out the way you'd think.  Look at SWTOR, spent tons of money on voice acting.  I am not supporting this one way or another, just making an observation.  I love this game and will play it in its current state without any regrets or remorse.  From a positive perspective reading reminds me of the old school text games and I get a certain sense of immersion that way.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

I agree and will add remember voice acting is very very expensive, and doesn't always work out the way you'd think.  Look at SWTOR, spent tons of money on voice acting.  I am not supporting this one way or another, just making an observation.  I love this game and will play it in its current state without any regrets or remorse.  From a positive perspective reading reminds me of the old school text games and I get a certain sense of immersion that way.

Funcom will disagree with you considering the budget of TSW and the top quality voice acting.

• drekzdrekz Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

And yet TSW managed to do it without the enormous budget of SWTOR. The voice acting in TSW is top notch a lot better than SWTOR imo.

So i disagree that you need to allocate a very big part of your budget towards quality voice overs.

The problem isn't launch.  The problem if you make an mmo with everything voice acted they have to keep doing it.  

FFXIV only uses it for important parts of the main story.  Swtor and TSW use it for EVERYTHING.  And with their limited success they're probably regretting it. 

If you played through every quest/story in Swtor/tsw with the full voiceacting then they realized for a patch or expansion "yeah we really can't afford to keep doing this".  How much would it kill those games for there dedicated players if they went from hundreds of hours of voice acting to speech bubbles?

• FrekFrek Member UncommonPosts: 53

Guess I'm in the minority here.

I actually don't mind having to read sometimes. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact it takes me back to when there was no voice acting at all. Having to read for less than 30 seconds shouldn't be a game breaker for anyone.

It does give the game a certain 'charm' to it by having to read sometimes. Yes it's nice to have everything voiced in a game, but is it really that bad to have to read a few lines?

Some of the stuff is quite funny, I won't reference anything in particular to avoid spoilers, but there are times during quests that some of the stuff npc's say is pretty witty. Some of it is pretty dry, but reading 'why' you're doing a quest adds flavor to the game. If you just skip everything and just look for the 'go here icon' on the map then I'd like to suggest this probably isn't the right sort of game for you. It won't be long until you start complaining how boring the game is, well no wonder, everything you do in the game will have no purpose behind it other then - open the map - look for icon - then go there. Yeah, that doesn't sound like much fun to me.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

I don't see it as a big deal at all. But if people must nit-pick, I suppose this is as good a place an any.

And some cut-scenes do have voice btw. Perhaps more in the future will as well if the game continues to be a success.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Funcom will disagree with you considering the budget of TSW and the top quality voice acting.

You may want relook at your information.  The report to investors shows that to be a decent size expenditure for TSW.  

poeple here make stupid excuses... as if the company is nearly broke and poor.. they have the resources and money to relaunch an entire game.. of course they can do it if they wanted to.. they reason they didn't was time like yoshi stated..

and why are you guys making excuses when your paying top dollar for this game... you should expect top dollar standards.. every other game is doing it.  

thats like buying a premium sundae and you made excuses for them because they didn't give you the banana that you expect in a sundae.