Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    it's just sad to think how great SWG could have been if the money invested in SWTOR had been invested in SWG. Add to that 10 years of development and you have a classic game of its genre.
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    it's just sad to think how great SWG could have been if the money invested in SWTOR had been invested in SWG. Add to that 10 years of development and you have a classic game of its genre.

I agree. SWG's sandbox design was years before its time, so who knows how great the game would have been if $OE stayed on course after launch instead of chasing WoW (with the CU/NGE that finally did it in).

On a side note, wouldn't this post be more suitable in the SWG general discussion sub-forum? Just sayin'.

• SimLeeSimLee Member UncommonPosts: 6

If they put all that money into a graphics update and such for swg we'd all still have a place to call home.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Alex Allen, one of the previous devs of SWG is working on her own project now. On the forum she sometimes mentions that she loved  especially the housing system of SWG.

You may want to check out her recent interview:

http://www.siliconhillsnews.com/2013/08/15/a-slice-of-silicon-hills-interviews-foxysoft-on-adult-mmo-venus-rising/

Harbinger of Fools
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Well if SOE upholds their tradition of nerfing great ideas, the next implemention would be SWG Next, which wouldn't be of any comfort to former players.  Action combat, lots of boom booms, and particle effects .. also available for the PS4. Limited controls, and only enough abilities to fit on a controller.

But hopes for a really good MMORPG successor are all out, since Disney awarded EA exclusive rights to Star Wars for a long time in the future ..  obviously Disney see's something that everyone else doesn't.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by Kazara

I agree. SWG's sandbox design was years before its time, so who knows how great the game would have been if $OE stayed on course after launch instead of chasing WoW (with the CU/NGE that finally did it in).

On a side note, wouldn't this post be more suitable in the SWG general discussion sub-forum? Just sayin'.

on the course?  The game would have been empty.  Up till NGE they were losing subs at over 10,000 a month.     That is a huge deal.  NGE actually saved the game.  They ended up stablizing. 

Heres the thing if you remove Star Wars from SWG what is left?  A sandbox game.  In fact its not much different then Second Life.

If you remove the Star Wars from SWTOR you are left with a bioware game with multiplayer.   

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by bobdole1979

on the course?  The game would have been empty.  Up till NGE they were losing subs at over 10,000 a month.     That is a huge deal.  NGE actually saved the game.  They ended up stablizing. 

Heres the thing if you remove Star Wars from SWG what is left?  A sandbox game.  In fact its not much different then Second Life.

If you remove the Star Wars from SWTOR you are left with a bioware game with multiplayer.   

LOL! You must be joking! The NGE tanked SWG and the game never recovered. The release of SWTOR finally pulled the game off life support.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

LOL! You must be joking! The NGE tanked SWG and the game never recovered. The release of SWTOR finally pulled the game off life support.

LOL indeed. It's always funny to see the NGE fanboys trying to play revisionist history with people that were actually there. The NGE killed SWG. What was left was a shell of a game.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• trillgodtrillgod Member Posts: 52
    lol at these what if scenarios..nobody cares about the hardcore SWGers.no one is going to put money in a sinking ship
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by ktanner3

LOL indeed. It's always funny to see the NGE fanboys trying to play revisionist history with people that were actually there. The NGE killed SWG. What was left was a shell of a game.

it is funny, the NGE was probably the most singular reason for the games demise, practically overnight over 80 percent of the playerbase quit, to try to even intimate that the NGE stabilised the game is like saying icebergs are good for ships.

Sure the game had problems before hand, the CU was also a problematic change to the game that also didnt work, but at least it didnt completely destroy it, which the NGE clearly did. If they had fixed some of the bugs and issues with a few of the different talent trees etc, instead of trying to rewrite the game, then SWG would probably still be around today, and probably in a far healthier state than SW;TOR currently is.

But we'll probably never see a game like it ever again, it was too ahead of its time and i don't think SOE really knew what they were doing with it once the core team had moved on. image

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Its so pathetic that SWG players always lowers themselves to the pre-cu vs nge fight.

Every single thread ends up the same.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by IG-88

Its so pathetic that SWG players always lowers themselves to the pre-cu vs nge fight.

Glad you care.

What’s really pathetic are the former NGE fan boys now trash talking SWTOR.

They have themselves to blame. SWTOR is the product of a refined NGE on steroids.

Originally posted by Sandbox

Glad you care.

They have themselves to blame. SWTOR is the product of a refined NGE on steroids.

And you follow suit just as the rest

Glad you care.

And you follow suit just as the rest

Well, I took your bait and enjoyed to reply. J

I suppose you are one of those feeling guilty for the so called success of the NGE.

At that time it was mostly SWG-players against SWG-players, with different ideas of what direction to take a game. Today, the same question is asked among the whole MMO community. But I’m sure you are aware of that already.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Just let them have their fantasy, that's what this sub-forums for...

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

/signed

SWG was great. Pretty much any version of it was better - in my opinion obviously - than any other MMO.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    I also miss SWG.

I suppose you are one of those feeling guilty for the so called success of the NGE.

That statement doesnt make sense.

I can enjoy both versions of SWG and i dont hate either side.

That statement doesnt make sense.

I can enjoy both versions of SWG and i dont hate either side.

Fair enough, that's why I wrote "suppose".

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Been flying with the flightless bird for a couple weeks and let me say this: what is in there, works.

There is not much reason for people to miss the pre-cu when there is an alternative to that.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

how true.

just found a cool SWG vs. SWTOR video.

Surprise, it's a pretty bad outcome  for SWTOR

http://youtu.be/eC8LacnQ1bc

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by DocBrody

how true.

just found a cool SWG vs. SWTOR video.

Surprise, it's a pretty bad outcome  for SWTOR

http://youtu.be/eC8LacnQ1bc

Lmao bad outcome for Swtor? Hang on let me check...

Swtor open and healthy-Check

Swg Dead, closed, gone left us with some sad desperate bitter vets-Check

Swtor has over a million players each month-Check

Swg could only dreamt of a million players in a single month -Check

I can keep going,  we understand you got permabanned from Swtor and now your feeling bad all hurt and you are on some sad desperate crusade to take down Swtor.  Well good luck dude most mature healthy adults have moved on, unfortunately a small group who clearly are not any of those are stuck hating a video game.  Just say that a few times see how sad it sounds "hating a video game" just sad.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

The problem wasn't money, it was the management of the game.

You can throw 10b in a game, if you openly say "F OFF" to your customers while lying to them just to keep those extra months of subscriptions the game would have still died.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by Karteli

Well if SOE upholds their tradition of nerfing great ideas, the next implemention would be SWG Next, which wouldn't be of any comfort to former players.  Action combat, lots of boom booms, and particle effects .. also available for the PS4. Limited controls, and only enough abilities to fit on a controller.

But hopes for a really good MMORPG successor are all out, since Disney awarded EA exclusive rights to Star Wars for a long time in the future ..  obviously Disney see's something that everyone else doesn't.

If EA has rights to Star Wars.. I wouldn't hold out for any great thing to come from them. Remember what EA did when it bought out the rights to Earth and Beyond? YEP! They shut it down!!

EA + good games = bad for players!!

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494