Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Return of Subs: FFXIV, WildStar, and ESO

123457»

Comments

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Can not stress enough how much I hate so called "free play" because there is NONE, at least not on this world. But have contributed imo significantly to doom of good mmo games that have gone or free or closed.

Only pretty decen exception is Gw2, but that is not free it is P2P. But still only P2P worth buying. Imo of course. :-))

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

i would give wildstar 1 year to go F2P

as for FF14 AAR. consider FF11 still alive, i dont think square will make FF14 F2P soon, it could take them....2-3 years or never and let the game die.

ESO is more like Star war for me. could be 1-2 years.

so wildstar will go first and then EOS and then FF14 to F2P road. ^__^

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290

What "return of subs"? When was there not a period of time when MMOs didn't have subs? GW2 is the same as GW1...no sub. But it isn't part of the F2P model either. What other AAA MMO has been F2P from the start? I'm sure you can think of one, but not enough to act like it's weird to see subs on new MMOs. The last couple of years they talk going F2P, but that's the talk. How has it gone from that to "OMG...SUBS?!?!"

Just don't get it

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

So just because we had a few MMO releases as F2P all of a sudden it must be the return of subs when business goes back to usual?

The return of subs will happen when games can MAINTAIN a sub business model 6 month-1 yr post launch.  And don't even factor in FFXIV as it's fanbase in Japan alone will keep it going and Yoshi says he'll shut the game down first.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    The fact that SWTOR had a sub was NOT why I didnt like it.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I'm happy to see all these games going P2P.  I can't stand F2P.  I played them for about a year, but finally got fed up with all the nickel and diming.  I'm P2P for life!  I liked Rift, but left as soon as it went F2P.   I just don't like the problems tha come with a F2P game.

This is a post from the minions of P2P who are too naïve/ignorant to be open for change. I was an old Rift player and I went back to it when it went F2P. I already had SL so I had the extra souls guess how much they have nickel and dimed me for? Nothing. I have spent anything. I even got another 30 days free from the credits they gave me for my past sub.

• jethro1970jethro1970 Member Posts: 1

I never bothered to register here in order to post until now.  I just lurched and read.  But this is an interesting topic.

Maybe my perspective is different than many here, maybe not.  I'm an older gamer; cut my teeth on EQ.  I have tried a lot of games out there.  I will say this: I will gladly pay a sub for a game that I connect with.  There is no (current) game on the market that is not a sub game that I would even entertain.  That isn't to say the sub games are all that different.  They're decidedly not.

I'm not a teenager paying with parents' credit card.  I'm not a twenty-something who has to choose between extra goodies on the weekly shopping trip or a another month of gaming.  I have a disposable amount of income that I chuck out for entertainment, and I'm perfectly willing to part with it, but it has to appeal to me.  I am picky, because I can be.  That is the demographic that I think today's companies are missing.  EQ thrived when there was no broadband.  Playing EQ took a major investment of one's disposable income.  SOE had a number of subscribers that probably overshadows many of today's offerings in our current world of cheaper broadband and PCs.

If a company wants to cash in and nickel and dime for mounts, gears, etc. then that is fine.  But they won't win over my demographic.  Make a game that has the vastness of EQ, the housing of EQ2, the ease of learning as WoW... find a way to police the botters, griefers, gold sellers, etc.  Entertain enough people to give me a thriving world full of others to socialize with... and I will hand over my money as long as you entertain me.  Capitalism at its best.  Make me something I want, and I will give you my money.  Heck, I'll even sub for $20, or $25.  That's still cheaper than a movie for two with refreshments.  But, you can't microwave me a frozen meal, serve it, and call it cuisine.  The problem is: nobody is doing anything truly creative.  They keep re-making [name your game here: WoW, EQ, etc.] and trying to resale it.  No thanks.  I'll keep my money and just go to an extra movie this month.  I'm waiting for something that isn't a remake.  I will give that company my money, monthly, when it's made. 

Bottom line is: I think the industry is stale.  Same-ole, same-ole.  4-7 big names chasing after crumbs on remakes and rehashes, making pennies on dime-store sales of cash shop items.  The company that decides to be fresh and innovative, and realizes that not everybody wants the cheapest, but instead wants simply better--that company will be the next Blizzard.

My two cents.

• Hei_AtzfelHei_Atzfel Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I'm happy to see all these games going P2P.  I can't stand F2P.  I played them for about a year, but finally got fed up with all the nickel and diming.  I'm P2P for life!  I liked Rift, but left as soon as it went F2P.   I just don't like the problems tha come with a F2P game.

So you're perfectly acceptable to having your money stolen? Because that's basically what a subscription model does. You play a flat rate to buy the game, but then you have to shovel out fifteen dollars a month just to buy the rights to play the game you already purchased. It's nothing but robbery. I played BF3 for a few months short of two years, cost me $60 to buy the game on pre-order and $50 to buy Premium when it came out, that's $110 and you can be sure that DICE got more than enough money off of me to make pure profit. Now think about if BF3 were a sub based MMO; for the same price that I spent on that game and played for nearly two years, I would've only been able to play a sub based MMO for a few months.

It just baffles me that people to this day still find it acceptable to pay a monthly fee for the rights to use something that they have already purchased. That would be like me buying a brand new computer for $1,200 and then paying $30 each month otherwise the company I bought it from would deactivate my computer and not let me use it until I paid them another thirty bucks. It's absurd.

• Cliff1963Cliff1963 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Eddie_Stiletto

Of the new "big" sub games coming soon, I see it going down like this:

FFXIV- Will survive but not thrive. Will carve out a little niche for itself and eventually settle in at around 100k subscribers.

WS- This I see really taking off. Its the first sub game since WoW to have pleasing graphics and a sense of humor. I think it actually could hold 1mil+ subscribers.

ESO- Ring ring. Here comes the fail mobile. Hate to say it but this is TOR 2.0. Start off with huge box sales and then watch the subs plummet.

It's always funny to see there are people who can predict the future from their own biased point of view.