Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game is for me? Skeptical MMO Vet (long)

Stiles223Stiles223 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Hi there!

I read often and never post but I'm at a crossroads in terms of what I play.  I really like MMOs and have been playing since my first taste of Ultima Online when it released so many years ago. I graduated to Everquest after UO. To date those two remain my favourite two MMOs of all time. They had definite risk and reward and I liked the open world feel. They also had their shortcomings but whatever, I liked them best.

After EQ got stale (after Luclin) I played a bunch of games casually until my next big time waster entered the scene, World of Warcraft. WoW is also a ship that sailed for me as it became daily-centric and was the same ol routine. Even with the new content patch that has some fancy island I will not go back to that. I do have some fond memories of WoW's earlier days and I will leave them there, in the early days.

One game that was fairly close to hooking me was EVE Online but at the end of the day I just did not want to pvp all of the time and the options for PvE play in my opinion are less than stellar. Another one that almost had me was Dungeons and Dragons Online. I liked the class customization but in the end what killed it for me was low populations (less so) and Turbines updates which became increasingly more wallet stressful (unnecessary addons/features that you need to buy to play with your peers).

Currently I am playing Rift. When it went F2P I thought I'd give it a try. For its price, its a great game (I paid 5 bucks to unlock some functionality). Beyond that...it is daily quests and raids (again). It is not something I see myself dropping any more money on. It is a decent game but not too much stands out for me.

Maybe I am just an aging gamer and should retire haha. For those who might say "Well go back to UO/EQ then?". I tried! UO is a ghost town even on their Atlantic server (most populated) and pretty much the only people who talk are the gold spammers. As for Everquest, same thing...entire zones and continents are wastelands. I saw no gold spam however.

Now with the influx of new games and the FTP "revolution" there are a lot of options out there. Most of the options in my opinion and personal taste are not that good. Whether it be the gameplay, expensive cash shop, bugs, low populations or a combination of the former, it just sucks. I do not mind paying for a subscription!

I am somewhat interested in the new ESO, FFXIV, EQnext but am still a bit skeptical considering the last games I have tried, some of which were huge hype machines that utterly failed to deliver (again, my opinion only!)

Here is a list of games I have played and why I left them, in rough chronological order:

Ultima Online - Left because of low pop and poor design decisions (Trammel).

Everquest - Left because it got dull and repetitive. Planes of Power I am looking at you!

Anarchy Online - I don't remember much about this game. Probably not a good thing. Sci-fi? Guns? Implants? ...something like that.

Star Wars Galaxies - I don't remember much about this either. I was a creature handler and I left before the NGE changes.

Everquest2 - Left because it just did not interest me too much. I revisited it later on and it was better but still I was left wanting.

World of Warcraft - Left because of burnout. Repetition is ok but not in large doses.

Star Trek Online - Hype machine got me. This game taught me to avoid anything that has the Cryptic Studios name on it. It also taught me to be more wise with my MMO dollar and avoid pre-ordering anything until you know more about the game.

Lord of the Rings Online - Mediocre. Left it because I did not really care about it. Just...MEH!

Star Wars The Old Republic - The stories were interesting and a bit of a breath of fresh air to me after recent MMO "failures". Alas, the honeymoon period did not last long and I found myself wanting for content.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - Too much of a cash grab, to stay ahead of the curve requires I not only pay my sub but use the cash shop as well for functionality. Ill pass on that.

Rift - See WoW. Too much repetition. I do think the FTP model is excellent however. Many casual type MMO players would be happy with this. I fall in between casual and hardcore though in terms of playing time.

I probably forgot some, in fact I know I did but you get the idea. I think I remain partial to UO and EQ because of its open style of play within a large world. No dailies to do, Nothing that you really need to do every day. More like a "ok I will do this today and I will probably have fun doing it". No shortage of people to do it with either (when they both had actual populations).

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Did you find "YOUR" game? If so, what was it and why?

Comments

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

Since Everquest's ability to suck me in and keep me addicted for years, nothing much has kept me playing a game statically for more then a few months to a year. That said I've revisited an Emulated game of Everquest called P1999. Just the expansions to Velious and the older character models. It's quite fun and there is even a PvP server for those who want to partake.  I played it for a couple of years and had a ball. 

It's the older, tougher version where there is no Nexus or Portal books. Good old fashioned raids to Hate or Fear or Sky. EC is where people shop and give buffs and it's free except finding the software for it might be tricky. I have a 60 DE Chanter, 54 Gnome Mage and 35th level Ranger. Good times!

Lately I've been playing EQ2. THe software is free, the game is free and since I had an account from way back when it was released I got all kinds of freebies for any character I make. It's dumbed down a bit but I'm having free fun until TESO comes out. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• MaurizioMaurizio Member UncommonPosts: 162

You have a long history of gaming like I have. I started with UO and bounced around ever since looking for that sandbox game play old school UO once had. I was looking for more in depth game play this time around though, ive played games like Darkfall, anarchy onine, Roma Victor, Warhammer, the list continues.

My suggestion for you is to take a look at Wurm Online. At first glance the game does not look like much, but i can assure you upon immersion the game is filled with content. Kingdom warfare, territory control, politics, crafting, trading, building anything you envision. Now the game at the start is fairly hard, but mainly hard because as a new player you will not know where to start and you will bounce around doing many things and not much will get done. The game is best played along with a group, groups of players... Villages/Communities/Clans/Kingdoms. These players will know how to help speed things up for your game play enjoyment.

Good luck. If you happen to check out Wurm, you are welcome to contact me in game.. In Game name Maurizio. I play on chaos server.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Maurizio

You have a long history of gaming like I have. I started with UO and bounced around ever since looking for that sandbox game play old school UO once had. I was looking for more in depth game play this time around though, ive played games like Darkfall, anarchy onine, Roma Victor, Warhammer, the list continues.

My suggestion for you is to take a look at Wurm Online. At first glance the game does not look like much, but i can assure you upon immersion the game is filled with content. Kingdom warfare, territory control, politics, crafting, trading, building anything you envision. Now the game at the start is fairly hard, but mainly hard because as a new player you will not know where to start and you will bounce around doing many things and not much will get done. The game is best played along with a group, groups of players... Villages/Communities/Clans/Kingdoms. These players will know how to help speed things up for your game play enjoyment.

Good luck. If you happen to check out Wurm, you are welcome to contact me in game.. In Game name Maurizio. I play on chaos server.

I'll second Wurm Online. I don't play often anymore, mainly because I like to play with other people, but it's still a really good game.

I too cut my MMO teeth on UO. Played it for just over 10 years. Did the MMO world tour and always found myself coming back to WoW. For PvE I just stick with WoW and I'm having fun. For PvP I play a MOBA.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

I'm going to try and be polite, which is rare for me, but I don't think you'll like anything because you've got jaded nostalgic rose colored glasses for days of old. And nothing will harken back or live up to your experiences and fond memories...Everything will be lesser, too easy, for children, too cartoonish.....You seem like a nice guy, and I wish you luck....But it might be time to retire that hat. Or lower your standards.

If you can stomach the somewhat quick level on your first class and pretty much only first class I've enjoyed FFXIV, and I've been playing MMOs since Anarchy Online.

I can also say GW2 is a good game for the 60 dollars it's worth, it's got engaging story, beautiful graphics and style....People complain about it a lot but I see no reason really. It's got lots of content and it's fun if you take your time and enjoy the ride.

Tera looks nice, I like the races, but the zones annoyed me and the lack of end game. It was a PvP game and one thing that pissed me off was the painted on backgrounds. Also the armor.....god the armor was so ridiculous. 

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Try Vanguard Saga of Heroes. The population isn't the highest but if you hook up with a good guild it isn't an issue. Although, the same can be said for UO and EQ. Maybe you need to work on your social skills.

https://www.vanguardthegame.com/

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Give Wushu a try.

Wushu is to WoW, as what EVE is to Swtor. The thought that went into Wushu is astounding. enough to make you say, "Western devs, wtf are you doing?!?!"

I'm looking forward to TESO, EQN aswell, but I know they will not have the depth of systems Wushu has. If you like being able to learn things, find real secrets, and build completely unique characters in a civil (the best criminal justice system I've seen) FFA world with no safezones, you may fall in love with Wushu.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

I have a very similar history except i am still playing UO  for 14 years now ,altho my time in Britania is very limited anymore, Also still playing EQ2 for 8 years ...

The Vanguard suggestion is a good one if you have never played it .. really is a great game ..

Also another game that is in beta and has an excellent old school feel , with great quest lines ,and char develoipment in a hand crafted world .. is Eldevin ..

http://eldevin.com/media/videos

http://eldevin.com/

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I work with a guy who says he loves beer. He asks us for suggestions to try. After three years and dozens of beers, he hasn't found one he really likes. He doesn't love beer and he doesn't want to admit it.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Im in the same boat as you. I think it is called "burnout syndrome". You need to take a long break off from mmo's and play like an RTS or something. I'm taking a break and am waiting on TESO and EQ Next. Those are the only two that are looking pretty good.
  • Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by Stiles223

Maybe I am just an aging gamer and should retire haha.

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Did you find "YOUR" game? If so, what was it and why?

I think my grandpa is in the same boat as you. He keeps saying "back in the days, there were no computers, and we had much more fun back then". Sounds familiar? "Back in the days toys were sturdy, they don't make them like that anymore", rings a bell? "Back in the days we had mmorpgs games that were fun, but they are not making them like that anymore", oww I see now :)

Yes, you have the grandpa syndrome, everything new is not fun, old days were better. Now base that on the "me and my grandpa" relation and see how right he was, and that is how right you are right now. Not much huh? Computers are actually a great thing, grandpa would just need to change his mindset to like them. Yes, same with games and you. Just like granpa you can't say exactly why the new is evil, it just is, because you don't like it. It is repetitive and you foget it (like the old ones were not).

So either retire, or change your way of thinking. Not trying to be mean, this is how I see it. You won't enjoy anything more in this area with the grumpy grandpa stance.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

You know, even sex loses its lustre after having having done it for whatever number of years!

Sure you might get a slight increased level of excitement with a new partner for a short time but then you realize that it is the same old in and out, just with a different person.  Games are no different.  Nothing will match the excitement of your first time doing anything.   I would think at your age you would have realized this.

You need to find that special game,  but not expect too much from it.  You can still have fun with games, just don't expect mind blowing experiences every time, right?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Boneserino

You know, even sex loses its lustre after having having done it for whatever number of years!

Sure you might get a slight increased level of excitement with a new partner for a short time but then you realize that it is the same old in and out, just with a different person.  Games are no different.  Nothing will match the excitement of your first time doing anything.   I would think at your age you would have realized this.

You need to find that special game,  but not expect too much from it.  You can still have fun with games, just don't expect mind blowing experiences every time, right?

That is the saddest thing I've ever heard.

Having said that, it's time for you to get some "edu-mu-kation"

This video has you profiled to a T. Start at 3:05...and learn. (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGgS5GVCZwI

• InternetSmuckInternetSmuck Member Posts: 14
    Check out Star Citizen.
  • actionreactionactionreaction Member Posts: 82
    None of the new, or upcoming MMO's are going to appease a soul who enjoys good community, built on open worlds.

Plain and simple.

New games don't community building like old games at all.

This is why the repetition, you might have enjoyed one time, such as games like UO, AC, SWG, was okay, because you we're having fun with other people, and it actually felt worth it.
  • SeverinusSeverinus Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by actionreaction
    None of the new, or upcoming MMO's are going to appease a soul who enjoys good community, built on open worlds. Plain and simple. New games don't community building like old games at all. This is why the repetition, you might have enjoyed one time, such as games like UO, AC, SWG, was okay, because you we're having fun with other people, and it actually felt worth it.

I think there's a lot of truth in your words; games are simply not what they used to be

for variuos reasons.

I'm linking a video here. It may not help the OP in any way, but it may help others to understand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYaLfUJKSSA

Once upon a time ...

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Try Dark age of Camelot.

-3 faction conflict/pve

-14 day  free trial

Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Boneserino

That is the saddest thing I've ever heard.

Having said that, it's time for you to get some "edu-mu-kation"

This video has you profiled to a T. Start at 3:05...and learn. (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGgS5GVCZwI

Hehe , don't worry Grim, I am not complaining in my case, but it looks like the OP is. 

Sorry if you missed the point  but I consider it a universal truth.  Nothing isever as good as the first time.  Doesn't mean the rest of the times aren't worth enjoying tho.   You just have to accept the truth.

None of the new, or upcoming MMO's are going to appease a soul who enjoys good community, built on open worlds. Plain and simple. New games don't community building like old games at all. This is why the repetition, you might have enjoyed one time, such as games like UO, AC, SWG, was okay, because you we're having fun with other people, and it actually felt worth it.

And you know this is a really good point, too.  OP, In those first games you were probably having fun meeting and playing with new people. I know I was.  However in your post you make no mention of this.  It is all complaints about the games. 

The games I have found most fun recently, are as the above poster states.  They are the games where I have found friends I enjoy playing with.  Find that and I think you will find just about any game enjoyable for a time.  Just don't expect miracles or that first time expereince.

But an MMO should not be played solo if you want maximum enjoyment, despite what Nariseldon (?*sp) will tell you!

• Stiles223Stiles223 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions guys!

For whatever reason I forgot to include one very notable game from my "played" list, Dark Age of Camelot. DAoC is actually #3 on my favourite MMO list. How viable is it now though? I remember I went back to it long (4 years maybe?) ago and it was a ghost town. So I left once again and didn't go back. I'll go check out the Herald and see how many players are online right now. That is, if the Herald still exists as I remember it :P

To those who have said things like there wont be better or that I have rose coloured glasses on...you're absolutely right. I'm not even 40 but I would be considered part of the old age pensioner playerbase by the companies out there. Not exactly their top demographic.

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124

I agree with quite a few comments here, I'm in the same boat as the OP and what I've realised is the games I enjoyed the most weren't necessarily the best games but they were the games that I enjoyed the community. Vanilla wow to wotlk were quite social to me so enjoyable, Faxion online lasted 3 months but I loved it because the few people that played it created in that short time a nice community. A lot of mmos now don't care about that and that has bred a generation of players that don't really care for community either.

im holding out for EQN and ESO but I still suspect that even if those games are great it will be hit or miss if I find those like minded players or not and if not will probably move on from them aswell.

• devilman69devilman69 Member Posts: 2
    I played eq1 for only 8 months before eq2 came out and then eq2 for the last 8 years but the reason I started eq1 then went to eq2 was I had 8 R/L friends playing and we had at least one day off together to play.Now the place we worked closed and everybody scattered and we don't have days off together to play,so at my new work place everybody is starting to play ffxiv realm reborn.I will play this also because coworkers are playing this..that to me is what will make this game fun.My point is any mmo will be fun if you have friends playing with you.Cannot count the times when we are all at the bar talking strategy and tactics for the next play day and everyone else looking at us like we are from another planet.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Been playing MMOs for over two decades, and FFXIV is my choice.  It has an old school feel to it.  The game tells you what you're able to do, but other than the main storyline to unlock things, you can pretty much run around and do whatever you want, all on a single character.

Edit: I haven't been on the internet looking for information since FFXI, FFXIV has revived my internet use lol.  I keep sites up on my tablet, while I'm playing.  Another old school feature...half the time I'm not even sure what I'm doing, or what I'm doing is right or best lol.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by Severinus

I think there's a lot of truth in your words; games are simply not what they used to be

for variuos reasons.

I'm linking a video here. It may not help the OP in any way, but it may help others to understand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYaLfUJKSSA

Hate that guy

Could. He. Talk. Any. Slower.  18 minute video could be 5 mins if he actually talked a normal speed and didn't take himself so serious.

PS -Whoever put up that louis ck vid, thank you. That was funny as hell

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Stiles223

For whatever reason I forgot to include one very notable game from my "played" list, Dark Age of Camelot. DAoC is actually #3 on my favourite MMO list. How viable is it now though? I remember I went back to it long (4 years maybe?) ago and it was a ghost town.

I checked it a year or so ago and it still is a ghost town. That being said, if you liked DAoC, you could check Guild Wars 2 out. It's the best themepark/RvR MMO right now, IMO. It's not DAoC and you'll be disappointed if you expect it to be, but it's still a really good game with solid massive PvP called World vs. World. WvW wise, they've fixed most of the annoying bugs and other issues by now, so it's more popular than ever and works quite well. Here's a description of it:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

GW2 is really nice and different PvE wise, too. Unfortunately, they've made a bigger focus on dailies lately, but they're still not particularly annoying or grindy and you've got some non-daily ways of getting the best items. No raiding, which is something I like.

The Secret World is another MMO I liked a lot, but it's more of a "play through the main quest and quit" game for me, because its endgame is just a dungeon grind. Admittedly a good dungeon grind, but I hate it all the same.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

OP you will likely be forced to play a PvP centered game as they seem to be the only ones with EQ open world (no linear quest hubs).  I 've found myself really enjoying Darkfall UW.  I do tire of the PvP focus but the crafting is great, the PvE is pretty good and the open world feel is really unmatched in the genre.  If you don't like PvP you can typically find some out of the way places and gather or PvE or even stay in the safe zones for some time.

This is the only game that has given me that EQ feel of a big dangerous world that is really fun to explore.