Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P and P2P : A quirky side argument

kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130

F2P games normally have cash shops filled with "vanity" items that you "dont need"  or dont affect gameplay so they say.

I just want to say...I have tons of minions (pets) in FF14....there is no way in hell if FF14 was a F2P game would I have ever paid a dime for any of them.

But since they are included in my sub, I love them, I collect them....they acutally put a smile on my face while I'm adventuring....

Who says these items dont affect gameplay??

Long live Pay to Play.

Comments

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    To each their own really......I  can't argue for either side, as I can see pros and cons in both F2P and P2P. I do support P2P more because I believe that model expects some measure of quality and attention....whereas F2P is free, so I expect less quality in those games. But each model has it's place and time...

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I like paying for vanity Items if I can put it over my gear and it makes my character look like a badass from the time of purchase. My fiance on the other hand would buy all the minions if they are cute because she likes pets in games, also mounts.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by kaz350

F2P games normally have cash shops filled with "vanity" items that you "dont need"  or dont affect gameplay so they say.

I just want to say...I have tons of minions (pets) in FF14....there is no way in hell if FF14 was a F2P game would I have ever paid a dime for any of them.

But since they are included in my sub, I love them, I collect them....they acutally put a smile on my face while I'm adventuring....

It all depends on the design of the game. Dragon's Prophet is a great example of that. You have to capture the dragons, not buy them. If the dragons could be bought, it would diminish gameplay. However, in some other games the pets are cosmetic and not intended as collection gameplay, so having them in the store doesn't affect gameplay.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Yea but I really didn't like Dragon's Prophet and buying different sets COULD buy you exclusive dragons....
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    Yea but I really didn't like Dragon's Prophet and buying different sets COULD buy you exclusive dragons....

What MMO you like is irrelevant to the discussion. Yes, there were some dragons you could buy in the preorder set, neither of which were above or beyond anything you can get in game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

They really are not vanity items, but supremacy goods that lead to microtransaction games being P2W.   However, from an emotional standpoint most players don't view them as being " unfair ", and that is why developers can get away with calling them vanity items.   You just have a much lower threshold for cash shop " fairness " than most players.  

I don't think anyone ever denied that they don't effect gameplay, but that they are much less relevant if compared to a cash consumable that buffs a character.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Long live Pay to Play.

Thing is, you know when you see someone else with them, they have done exactly what you did to get them. They remain a status symbol with in the game. Regardless of who and who is not impressed by them, they are still achievements in their own right.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Long live Pay to Play.

You like to rent your minions monthly. There is  no way in hell I would pay a box fee and then a monthly rental to collect minions I get to pay rent on monthly.  I don't like to rent my games or the minions therein.

Long live you renting your games and long live me not renting the games I play.

I'm with the OP on this one. I would much rather pay rent for an apartment on Park Ave than live for free at the homeless shelter.

Everyone's standards are different though. /shrug

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Exactly! Agree 100% with OP. Thats the best part about a good p2p game. You want something, you find out what you need to do and go get. Even if its just a common minion you need to buy with in game gold you still played the game to get it. F2P? You want something just open up the cash shop, pay real money for it, then pick it up at a mailbox. How anyone can see f2p as more fun is beyond me. Only thing that makes sense to me is that theyre cheap freeloaders who would glady sacrifice one of the best aspects of an MMO just so they can get a (mostly) free ride.
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

Long live Pay to Play.

You like to rent your minions monthly. There is  no way in hell I would pay a box fee and then a monthly rental to collect minions I get to pay rent on monthly.  I don't like to rent my games or the minions therein.

I'm with the OP on this one. I would much rather pay rent for an apartment on Park Ave than live for free at the homeless shelter.

This ^

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

F2P games normally have cash shops filled with "vanity" items that you "dont need"  or dont affect gameplay so they say. I just want to say...I have tons of minions (pets) in FF14....there is no way in hell if FF14 was a F2P game would I have ever paid a dime for any of them.But since they are included in my sub, I love them, I collect them....they acutally put a smile on my face while I'm adventuring....Who says these items dont affect gameplay?? Long live Pay to Play.

Lol to each their own. I have pets in 2 microtrans games at the moment & I barely even bother to get them out despite the fact that one titles pets actually help in a meaningful way, in one title I've had the fortune to win 3 pets & 2 pets I haven't activated ever.

TBH pets are generally of no interest to me in MMO's unless the character I am playing is a pet class.

Ultimately none of this is really relevant to a sub vs microtrans mmo debate.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by echolynfan

Long live Pay to Play.

This ^

lol, yeah. That's a compelling argument. Either someone has never been a landowner or someone isn't being honest. If you want to pay another person's mortgage for them go ahead.

Like I said long live you renting and and long live me being an owner.  I don't begrudge you renting, but your perfect solution doesn't fit me.

What exactly do you own, pray tell?  In F2P games you are no more an owner than the next free loader.  If you were really an owner, you could tell the other players to get off your property, but that isn't the case, is it?  In F2P games, you are essentially living for free.  If an analogy must be made, whereas he is renting in Park Avenue, you are living in the projects, and guess what?  Not everybody chooses to live in the projects, even though there ... you can live rent free.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Long live Pay to Play.

This ^

lol, yeah. That's a compelling argument. Either someone has never been a landowner or someone isn't being honest. If you want to pay another person's mortgage for them go ahead.

Like I said long live you renting and and long live me being an owner.  I don't begrudge you renting, but your perfect solution doesn't fit me.

This is a video game, not home ownership. We pay subscriptions, not rent. It's an ongoing game, it has ongoing expenses to maintain. I pay for that and It good that way.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Long live Pay to Play.

100%

Half the fun fun in MMO's for me is the "cosmetic stuff". The pets, clothes, dyes, furniture, mounts, etc. Those are the nice little quirks that provide "quality of life".

In all MMO's, I can kill stuff and reach level cap. Yawn... But not all of those games make the journey fun and colourful.

Often, earning those little perks is part of the actual game play in P2P MMO's. In F2P games, earning them ingame is usually a monumental grind, because they are "cosmetic" and the developers want to "encourage" you to buy them instantly via the "convenience" of the Cash Shop.

Long live games like FFXIV, where there are loads of "extra's" that I can enjoy for a flat monthly fee.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Long live Pay to Play.

Paying 10 20 30 bucks for items will never be yours in f2p aswell but attached to your account, as is the free minions which are not rented as the subs pays for access to account, players can always go back and pay a sub at a later date if they wish to take a break.  I understand where you are coming from, but I'd rather pay a monthly sub and get as many pets as I wish in a day than pay an excessive amount for 1 pet, sometimes costing as much as 2 - 4 months subs.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Kind of a side note to the side argument...am I the only one that's happy I actually have to go google stuff for an MMO again?  Takes me back to the old days, I love it :)  
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118

Long live Pay to Play.

This ^

Owner .. lol! LOL !  LOOL ! You made my day!

On the other hand, you are no more a owner then the guy paying a monthly fee. No one is owning anything. Neither you , neither him!

Secondly, yes, long live P2P.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

Long live Pay to Play.

This ^

What exactly do you own, pray tell?  In F2P games you are no more an owner than the next free loader.  If you were really an owner, you could tell the other players to get off your property, but that isn't the case, is it?  In F2P games, you are essentially living for free.  If an analogy must be made, whereas he is renting in Park Avenue, you are living in the projects, and guess what?  Not everybody chooses to live in the projects, even though there ... you can live rent free.

One of the best analogies i've read, and funny too, i think you pwned that particular one anyway. P2P and F2P, or even B2P each have their own pro's and cons. For those not really wishing to invest too much into a game, in terms of either cash or time, though tbh i value each equally, then floating from F2P game to F2P game is probably ideal, P2P is really more for people who invest both time and cash into a game for the long term. My problem is i like too many games.. which is probably why im currently subbed to like 4 of them.. Eve, Planetside2, SW;TOR and... FF XIV:ARR.  I had been playing Planetside2 as a F2P player, but once i subbed it seemed i got better at the game, it could be psychological, but personally i put it down to Rocket Pods... the free SC you get for subbing bought them  :D

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by DMKano

To me it makes no difference what the pay model is - if i like a feature in a gsme, I like it regardless if it were F2P or P2P.

Minions and pets - never cared for them in any game (sub or f2p), so again to me the payment model has zero influence.

I think gameplay stands on its own, if the game is a fun and worth playing - that's what will get me playing, pay model is completely secondary and ultimately of little relevance to me.

Where the pay model comes into play is longevity and replay - I am a lot less likely to resub to a P2P game once I leave, example I stopped playing WoW in 2005 and never went back.

But F2P or B2P games, I am much more likely to revisit from time to time.

It makes no difference what the payment model is?  Really so you would pay 300 dollars a month on a F2P if you really liked it and wanted everything they had in the cash shop. Verses paying 15 a month for the same game if it was a P2P with all those items in game.

Okay sure.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Electro057

To each their own really......I  can't argue for either side, as I can see pros and cons in both F2P and P2P. I do support P2P more because I believe that model expects some measure of quality and attention....whereas F2P is free, so I expect less quality in those games. But each model has it's place and time...

This is how I feel as well.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

So what I own in a sub-free game are the virtual goods (like movies on VUDU) that I have purchased.  I do have control over them within the framework of the game and can definitely tell other players to "get off my property" as in they don't have access or use of my virtual goods.

There are more than two places to live in the world (Park Place and the Projects), by the way both are rentals.  So by your analogy you can choose to rent in the projects or in Park Place, but most mmos have project pricing at $15 per month.  I doubt you're paying $50 / month in your MMO for a Park Place rental.  I may not own property in the virtual Beverly Hills, but that doesn't mean my only other choice is the projects.  I'm living, like most people around me that are homeowners, somewhere in between.  I mean do you actually live in either Park Place or The Projects?  Your park place analogy is actually just a shallow attempt at posturing that your game is high quality because you pay rent which we know is load of bull.  If you're going to make that argument the burden is on you to prove it, not me to disprove it.

Valiant attempt to wriggle out of the trap, but ultimately futile image

The difference is that with a P2P game, subbing for 1 year will give you unlimited access to ALL content and items in that game.

Buying the "rights" to use ALL the items in a F2P Cash Shop will usually set you back several years worth of P2P sub costs, even if you don't buy everything in the store.

So in the P2P model, you live in extreme digital luxury for a small monthly fee.

Of course, if you can get by with the basics in the F2P game, then that's the ideal solution for you. However, that also means you are not part of that game's target market.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

At the minimum each server should be well patrolled for gold spammers if it's a P2P.

I expect it goes with the territory with F2P but not P2P, i feel like WTF am i paying you for, these servers should be monitored, i'm paying for a service here, "show me the service".

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Husvik

At the minimum each server should be well patrolled for gold spammers if it's a P2P.

you would think so but that's not necessarily true. I remember when Aion came out, the gold spamming was the worst I had ever seen anywhere, and that was a P2P game.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

If FFXIV was a B2P I'd be in line like many of you waiting for digital sales resume

Or well, I could've pre-ordered, like I did with Gw2. Buuut since they consider me a cheap cash cow ... no. Game's too old to ask for a sub. It blows my mind how a game like Gw2 "doesn't deserve your attention" when the guys at ANet are adding new stuff every other week for free 

and here you are paying monthly fees and keeping fingers crossed to log in ... weeks after launch.

Gw2 solved its issues on day 3, on time for the launch (I had early-access) but i must tell you ... i barely slept the whole early-access. I was constantly in |o| With some DCs because my ISP deserves some falcon punches buuuut other than that i had no issues. Although you should notice that im not saying Gw2's launch was flawless.  I was there, i read the forums, i saw some people were unable to get in. But do you know what Anet's team did? They worked day and night, even on weekends to fix their issues. THAT's how you launch an MMO. If they asked me for a sub, I would gladly sub and expect content every other week. You guys ... keep ur old mmo and hope for the best at the login screen. 

And to the OP ... mini pets are cool yep, I have almost all of them on my toon in Gw2. Never spent a dime for it ^_^ Even got Queen Jena as a birthday present *_* 

• Solid_AltairSolid_Altair Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

Paying 10 20 30 bucks for items will never be yours in f2p aswell but attached to your account, as is the free minions which are not rented as the subs pays for access to account, players can always go back and pay a sub at a later date if they wish to take a break.  I understand where you are coming from, but I'd rather pay a monthly sub and get as many pets as I wish in a day than pay an excessive amount for 1 pet, sometimes costing as much as 2 - 4 months subs.

Thank you. I've been searching for this information the whole day. And I dare to ask a confirmation about it:

1- Can we take a break from the game, spend a few months without paying the subscription fee, then get back to pay the subscription fee and resume our account, without loosing any items levels and stuff?

And I have a few other questions, if you guys can please answer them:

2- How can I pay for the monthly fee, if I'm playing on PS3? Is it sold on the PSN Store? Can I buy from somewhere else online? May I use paypal? What are the options? I'd prefer to buy it directly with paypal, cause in order to buy stuff from PSN I need to buy gift cards, which add a little extra cost.

3- Are servers alright already? I'm thinking about buying a hard copy for PS3, but generally I think it would be wiser to wait for them to resume the sales of digital copies. Even I'll buy a hard copy anyway, I intend to wait for the digital sales' return as a sign that the servers are OK. But... if the servers are already fine, I suppose I'd buy the hard copy ASAP. I'm really itching for a new game.

4- I've read that the transition from PS3 to PS4 will be free. This was what really made me consider buy the game. But, just to confirm... this free PS4 version will be an actual PS4 version, right? Not just a PS3 verison that you can play on PS4. I mean... the graphics will improve, right?

Thank you.