Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What other SCI FI mmorpg is there outther?

ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

I have played swtor seen release and before that. As x others i love the story lines, but beside that i dont like the game, I am not a fane off instence and daylies.  And the endgame is only that.

But I am a fane off the of a sci - fi mmorpg, and from what i can see there is no other mmorpg out there, or is there if so please link them?

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Star Wars is not scifi.
  • AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Eve is by far the best sci-fy game out there.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

Originally posted by JRRNeiklot
    Star Wars is not scifi.

If you're talking about the movies and not the IP in general then I agree. , However the Star Wars MMOs could probably be classified that way. Are you suggesting SWG, CWA and SWTOR are also space operas or that they are simply "space themed"?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Star Wars is fantasy.   Other than a few buzzwords like hyperspace, there is no scifi whatsoever in SW.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Star Wars is fantasy.   Other than a few buzzwords like hyperspace, there is no scifi whatsoever in SW.

What about the flying cars, spaceships, lightsabers, laser guns, aliens, cyborgs, robots, androids, space travel.  And the force is just telekinesis.  Theres so much science fiction in star wars movies that the history channel did a special on it to see how likely some of the tech could be possible in the future.

And?  None of the above makes SW scifi.  Are you seriously sugesting the Jestsons is scifi?  There's a lot of fiction in those terms, but no science whatsoever.  Change the names and all of the above could fit easily into any fantasy setting. 

Flying cars are in Harry Potter, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for that matter.  Is Harry Potter scifi?  A lightsabre is merely a sword of sharpness or a vorpal sword.  Laser Guns are no different than a wand of lightning.  aliens are orcs, robots are golems, etc.  Space travel happens in Conan the Barbarian, and many other fantasy stories.  Renaming fantasy tropes does not suddenly make something scifi.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

Star Wars isn't Sci-fi? I'm pretty sure they explain the Force with Science... fake science mind you but...

What should we call a future-based alternate reality mmo with glowing light sticks used for swords... anti-gravity mounts...

When I think of fantasy I think of DnD type setting... dragons... elves... dwarves... yknow..

Aliens and space combat makes it seem like sci-fi to me.. but I could be wrong.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324

And?  None of the above makes SW scifi.  Are you seriously sugesting the Jestsons is scifi?  There's a lot of fiction in those terms, but no science whatsoever.  Change the names and all of the above could fit easily into any fantasy setting. 

Flying cars are in Harry Potter, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for that matter.  Is Harry Potter scifi?  A lightsabre is merely a sword of sharpness or a vorpal sword.  Laser Guns are no different than a wand of lightning.  aliens are orcs, robots are golems, etc.  Space travel happens in Conan the Barbarian, and many other fantasy stories.  Renaming fantasy tropes does not suddenly make something scifi.

Ok then, scifi genre are in reality all fantasy, you better call all the libraries so they can relable their scifi section to fantasy in space.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

The answer is simply both:

The fact that you have ships flying in hyper-space is definately sci fi.

The force, fantasy.

It's somewhere in the middle......SCI-Fantasy.

http://scifi.about.com/od/starwarsglossaryandfaq/a/Star-Wars-Faq-Is-Star-Wars-Sci-Fi-Or-Fantasy.htm

• Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110

SW is not sci-fi? ROFL! I think someone doesn't like the Sci-Fi genre... SW is all based on alien planets, alien weapons, alien architecture, etc etc etc. I guess Dune isn't Sci-Fi either? ;)

EDIT:: Meant to reply to another poster in this thread. Sorry.

While I honestly don't expect any budging on classification or nomenclature from someone who's chosen tag is an anagram of Tolkien's name, YES, The Jetson's is science fiction. Not all science fiction is dystopian. As for Star Wars, it is classified as mentioned above as Space Opera, which is a sub-genre of science fiction that mixes both sci-fi and fantasy.

Are you really going to further derail the thread arguing this?

Originally posted by tort0429

The force, fantasy.

http://scifi.about.com/od/starwarsglossaryandfaq/a/Star-Wars-Faq-Is-Star-Wars-Sci-Fi-Or-Fantasy.htm

even the force can be considered sci-fi as its basically telekinesis.  Just like Biotics in Mass Effect or how people in the show Heroes have similar powers.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

So essentially what you are saying is that there is no such thing as science fiction?  Mmm ok, thank you for enlightening us all!

Gosh I learn so much on these forums! 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

So you are saying Star Wars is not Sci-fi so can you tell me when the term jump to light-speed is used that this is not the staple of all Sci-fi,and as intergalactic space ships are involved what is the definition as I thought Star Wars pretty much defines Sci-fi  to a tee.  image

p>
  • RoshaRosha Member UncommonPosts: 29

Star Wars is not scifi.

JRRNeiklot - what do you consider scifi?

I bet if you look at your definitions, then there would be nothing that fits as scifi.

Yes Jetsons is a sci-fi.  Are you saying Dune, Mass Effect, Fifth Element, Stargate, Star Trek are all fantasy?

Yes everything is a "fantasy" as in its made up in someones head but the point is to specify a fictional works image/style which is what a genre is.  Sci-fi is also about things that are likely to be possible in real science which is why I mentioned the history channel doing a special on star wars and its tech.  They even explained how a lightsaber could be possible using plasma.

Even fantasy can be called sci-fi as magic is basically unexplained science, I mean in every fantasy, characters always explain to use magic you need a energy source like mana which is no different from how biotic powers in mass effect are used by harnessing electro magnetism. In real life, sharks use electro magnetism to detect their prey.

You see in the future I dont imagine people riding around on flying broomsticks using their super magic powers, i imagine them on flying cars.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I don't see what the fuss is, even the movies have been classified as Fantasy rather than Scifi on sites like IMDb practically forever.

Originally posted by Kabaal

I don't see what the fuss is, even the movies have been classified as Fantasy rather than Scifi on sites like IMDb practically forever.

Well on History Channel George Lucas calls it a  Sci-fi fantasy

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123

No real constructive info on here, just some arguing.

SWTOR is in a league of its own, only things that gets close might be swtor.

I personally associate Fantasy with elves, skeletons, Dwarves, spiders and wolves.

To clarify what is Sci-Fi, and what not, please see: http://www.mmobomb.com/games/sci-fi

I would suggest maybe trying EVE, Star Trek online, "cough" Scarlet blade.

If you are willing to give a mmofps a try, try Firefall or Planetside 2.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Anarchy Online ..
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Maurgrim

Ok then, scifi genre are in reality all fantasy, you better call all the libraries so they can relable their scifi section to fantasy in space.

Lol.  You have that backwards.  You'd need to do the calling, as Star Wars has been labeled fantasy since its conception.

Originally posted by tort0429

The force, fantasy.

Flying and hyperspace in of itself does not make something scifi.  D&D has had it's own version of hyper dimensional travel since 1972, and the fiction it's based off for hundreds of years prior.  Aladdin had a flying rug, is that scifi?  It's not the various tropes that differentiate scifi from fantasy, it's the presentation.  Arthur C. Clark is science fiction.  George Lucas is not.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

OK, just to clear this up, the genre for Star Wars is sci-fantasy for this reason, is has sci fi tech but fantasy tropes, (character archetypes and rolls, mystical lore, and romanticized history). For example Star Wars spaceships just work and their underline physics is never touched upon, whereas Star Trek’s Warp Drive has everything from blueprints, to serious science papers on it and entire episodes built around the applications.

To address the OP’s question ,I have been playing Star Trek Online as of late, and have found it to be very addictive, due to a layered progression and good Varity of content. It doesn’t require as much heavy investment as EVE does.