Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Column] General: The Petulant Child of PAX

13

Comments

  • MMOWarriorMMOWarrior San Diego, CAPosts: 33Member
    You guys just don't get it.. and sadly so many of you think it's cute and funny to perpetuate a hostile and uncomfortable space for women gamers.. this article wasn't about the old comic strip it was about the disgusting community reaction that is repeating itself right here.. 
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 dublinPosts: 2,735Member
    I don't see anything funny about rape jokes. I bet a person who was raped wouldn't find it funny either.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 dublinPosts: 2,735Member
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

    90% of comedy is making light of either your own misfortunes, or those of others. It's a perfectly healthy way of dealing with the terrible things which happen in this world on a daily basis. If we couldn't laugh about some of these situations, we'd all be near-suicidally depressed & taking psychotropic drugs by the handful every morning (hell, there are already people who do that as it is).

    I would also like to say, loud and clear, that you do NOT have the right to never be offended. People always have, and always will say things that somebody, somewhere, will find offensive. If you don't like it, don't listen to that person. Walk away, change the station, put down the book, stop supporting the company, etc.

    If I take care of myself, I could be around for another 50 or more years given sufficient advancements in medical technology (and God willing, of course). I'm not going to spend that time walking on eggshells just because some oversensitive twit might get offended by one of my viewpoints, jokes, opinions, or statements.

    I'm so sick of the ridiculous levels of political correctness these days. Even a racial slur used in a non-racist fashion can completely obliterate somebody's entire life. To me that's more offensive than any amount of jokes about rape.

    So would you still find rape jokes funny if your daughter was raped? People make fun of other people who have died so i am not surprised rape amuses them. It has nothing to do with political correctness it has to do with empathy and common decency to your fellow man/woman.

  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 dublinPosts: 2,735Member
    I am pretty sure mmorpg.com write these topics so they can ban people. This topic is against their own rules of conduct. Every time a topic like this is raised lots of people end up getting banned.
  • ArakaziArakazi OxfordPosts: 889Member

    Well.. Penny Arcade and some people on here must realize that the gaming is made up of more than neckbeards and basement dwellers. The gaming community, being as large as it is, will include victims of rape and child abuse, it's just an unfortunate statistical reality.

    It was a stupid joke anyway, only a teenager or manchild would find it funny.

  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 dublinPosts: 2,735Member
    The internet proves to me that people are fake, they hide themselves out in the real world because they are afraid. The minute they get behind a keyboard they are the toughest mofo you've ever seen, They go to the gym 7 days a week and can get any girl they want and everyone else is either a virgin or has no job in their opinion.
  • CalerxesCalerxes LondonPosts: 1,630Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by PAL-18
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by PAL-18

    What happens in games happens in peoples minds and there they should stay.

    And if I'm understanding you correctly I would agree. I love it and it's a great sentiment.

    However, there are going to be people who point to you and say "because you play x games you condone their messages of violence and misogyny and the use of drugs and etc (whatever the game has).

    And I don't believe for one minute you do.

    So that's why I don't believe in censorship. I just believe in people staying out of places they don't want to be in and I believe in people saying their piece but not seeking to force it down anyone's throat.

    Thats what i tried to say to Mr.Spock.

    Lets imagine that im on the bus for example and say to my friend that "lets rob this bus and drive it to China" as a joke, not a good one but anyways,then i stand up and tell that to everyone.

    Would be better to e-mail my terrible joke to the people who would like to hear it.

    They tried to teach childrens with those methods still at 80´s and we got wiser and figured out that it does not work it actually has the opposite effect.

    I dont know which one would be better,censorhip or let everybody to say /do what they are thinking.

    I prefer censorship.

     

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"

     

     

    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." 

     

     

    This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

  • SatyrosSatyros Posts: 134Member Uncommon

    Really!?

    In a while the "robery victims" will protest against the rogue class, becomming a catholic priest will require 5 years of cleric experience in any major mmo and skinning/looting animals will be banned due to vegetarians protesting.

    Guess why this kind of humor is legal. Because noone makes you sit and take it. Unlike rapists.

  • BlackraynBlackrayn H-town, IAPosts: 142Member

    Empathy, feelings, caring all great things! Censorship, forbidding, restricting are bad things! But, living in Dr. Cocteau's world (Demolition Man) is not the answer! Everyone is different, but the push to remove any civil liberties you have whether it be telling a rape joke, liking a violent/sexual video game or movie, religion... whatever. The policing of our liberties is way outta control. The answer isn't stopping what you don't like, but like many have said not supporting or condoning what someone is saying that you don't like! 

     But, it really boggles my mind that people are so hurt about words coming out of peoples mouths? When  you sit back and look at the world and what is happening innocent people dying. And things that were said in a comic strip that you have the "choice" to read! I'm almost positive that everyone in Syria that is going through that travesty would trade places with all of you that can't handle hearing a joke! I would gladly be the victim of all the heinous crimes talked about here, to not live in a country like that where "Censorship" "Forbidding" and "Restricting" are the way! Working well for them isn't it??

     

  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Monticello, MNPosts: 418Member

    #firstworldproblems

     

    Bad taste does not need regulation. Move on & feed starving children, or some other cause that has real world consequence. Sticks & stones etc.

  • WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,594Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by AwDiddums
    Originally posted by oakshooligan

    There are no lines in comedy.

    As soon as you validate one line, all lines are validated.

    The problem is society in general is being wrapped up in cotton wool by our respective governements, ppl are taking offence where no offence is intended.

    Comedians are being demonised for holding up a distorted mirror on our everday lives, most ppl get the joke, but these days less ppl are inclined to laugh out loud in fear that we are deemed offensive and insensitve to others issues.

    It has become a worrying trend when you could end up doing more time in prison for making a crude and inappropiate remark than driving a vehicle while under the influence of drink/drugs and potentially killing someone.

    The Nanny state is nearly in full control and sooner or later the internet will follow suit.

    Its not just the governments.  Its the entire fabric of society (such as it is) that has been corrupted by the dogma of PC (AKA Cultural Marxism).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism

    One of the principles of which is the dogma dealing with "offense", and the "right" of people to not be "offended".  Which upon examination is foolish. Due to the subjective nature of "offense", no one has a "right" not to be offended.

    Much of the evil that we see all around us (especially these days) stems from these mistaken beliefs.  Real rights, (such as those of life, liberty, property, to name but a few) stem from simply being a member of the human race.

    They are not granted by government, nor may they be taken away without due process (which was originally created to protect those pre existing rights FROM those in government).

    So very much has been lost over the generations, that all too many do not understand the vital link between real rights, and the responsibilities that naturally flow from them.  One has only to look around us to see the results.

  • WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,594Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    I don't see anything funny about rape jokes. I bet a person who was raped wouldn't find it funny either.

    I don't see anything funny about them either.  I consider them rude, and vulgar.  That having been said, I also consider them to be simply part of the inevitable price that must be paid for freedom.  Real freedom for everyone.  Censorship, walks hand in hand with tyranny. Be it of a minority against a majority, or a majority against a minority.  Both are wrong, and both are dangerous.  Would that more people understood that reality.

  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    I don't see anything funny about rape jokes. I bet a person who was raped wouldn't find it funny either.

    I don't see anything funny about them either.  I consider them rude, and vulgar.  That having been said, I also consider them to be simply part of the inevitable price that must be paid for freedom.  Real freedom for everyone.  Censorship, walks hand in hand with tyranny. Be it of a minority against a majority, or a majority against a minority.  Both are wrong, and both are dangerous.  Would that more people understood that reality.

    Well said.

     

  • TabledogTabledog Shoreline, WAPosts: 3Member

    I gave up on the taste, restraint, and empathy of the PAX crowd when I, over 50 years old, sat in the audience while one of the panelists repeatedly said they were "waiting for the old folks to die off" and being greeted only with laughter and applause. Had I the presence of mind I should, I would have stood up and yelled "I'm RIGHT HERE!" but I'm not that quick-witted. When everyone applauds the idea of your death, even in jest, it is pretty souring. (I couldn't help but wonder if the reaction would be the same if he'd said the same about blacks or Jews or gays or women.)

    The idea that rape of any kind, in any milieu, is considered humorous and money-making, is just pathetic. I'm not surprised that kind of humor popular among the PAX folks.

     

    Yes, I enjoy a lot of games, a lot of the stuff that does go on at PAX. I kind of missed going this year. But I don't miss the immature, sophomoric-at-best humor that pervades it.

     

     

    image
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Quezon CityPosts: 186Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MMOWarrior
    You guys just don't get it.. and sadly so many of you think it's cute and funny to perpetuate a hostile and uncomfortable space for women gamers.. this article wasn't about the old comic strip it was about the disgusting community reaction that is repeating itself right here.. 

     

    Basically, this. I was expecting some kind of backlash to the article, but if readers don't quite understand, I'll spell it out a bit better.

     

    The acceptance of a lack of empathy to people who have suffered psychological trauma is a bit disturbing to me, because it just shows the geek community isn't as enlightened or as grown-up as it'd like to be. I want the gaming and geek communities to be better, and calling out cruddy behavior among people, whether they're public figures or people in expos, should be an important step towards ensuring that the community is a safe space for more people.

    A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

    Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

  • DrakynnDrakynn The Pas, MBPosts: 2,030Member
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by PAL-18
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by PAL-18

    What happens in games happens in peoples minds and there they should stay.

    And if I'm understanding you correctly I would agree. I love it and it's a great sentiment.

    However, there are going to be people who point to you and say "because you play x games you condone their messages of violence and misogyny and the use of drugs and etc (whatever the game has).

    And I don't believe for one minute you do.

    So that's why I don't believe in censorship. I just believe in people staying out of places they don't want to be in and I believe in people saying their piece but not seeking to force it down anyone's throat.

    Thats what i tried to say to Mr.Spock.

    Lets imagine that im on the bus for example and say to my friend that "lets rob this bus and drive it to China" as a joke, not a good one but anyways,then i stand up and tell that to everyone.

    Would be better to e-mail my terrible joke to the people who would like to hear it.

    They tried to teach childrens with those methods still at 80´s and we got wiser and figured out that it does not work it actually has the opposite effect.

    I dont know which one would be better,censorhip or let everybody to say /do what they are thinking.

    I prefer censorship.

     

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"

     

     

    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." 

     

     

    I believe Kierkegaard would more attribute this to the other side of the argument.People using their freedom of speech to say others should not be allowed to make statements.He was talking about using a freedom t deny yourself other freedoms.

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member
    What was the point of raking this up again 2 years after it happened and 2 years after Jerry publically conceded his error and apologised?

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member
    Originally posted by Tabledog

    I gave up on the taste, restraint, and empathy of the PAX crowd when I, over 50 years old, sat in the audience while one of the panelists repeatedly said they were "waiting for the old folks to die off" and being greeted only with laughter and applause. Had I the presence of mind I should, I would have stood up and yelled "I'm RIGHT HERE!" but I'm not that quick-witted. When everyone applauds the idea of your death, even in jest, it is pretty souring. (I couldn't help but wonder if the reaction would be the same if he'd said the same about blacks or Jews or gays or women.)

     

    You seem happy to make broad negative generalisations of your own; why should you complain when you hear them directed back at yourself?

    A generation that spends so much time complaining about young people shouldn't expect much sympathy when they hear comments like that.  What did you expect to hear? "Oh boy I hope the people that steered our economy onto the rocks, looted the social security fund and expects us to live in debt for the rest of our lives while we work to keep them in the sweetheart retirement deals they voted to give them the leisure to spend their time complain 24/7 about those idle lazy young uns, man I hope those guys live forever".

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • CalerxesCalerxes LondonPosts: 1,630Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by PAL-18
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by PAL-18

    What happens in games happens in peoples minds and there they should stay.

    And if I'm understanding you correctly I would agree. I love it and it's a great sentiment.

    However, there are going to be people who point to you and say "because you play x games you condone their messages of violence and misogyny and the use of drugs and etc (whatever the game has).

    And I don't believe for one minute you do.

    So that's why I don't believe in censorship. I just believe in people staying out of places they don't want to be in and I believe in people saying their piece but not seeking to force it down anyone's throat.

    Thats what i tried to say to Mr.Spock.

    Lets imagine that im on the bus for example and say to my friend that "lets rob this bus and drive it to China" as a joke, not a good one but anyways,then i stand up and tell that to everyone.

    Would be better to e-mail my terrible joke to the people who would like to hear it.

    They tried to teach childrens with those methods still at 80´s and we got wiser and figured out that it does not work it actually has the opposite effect.

    I dont know which one would be better,censorhip or let everybody to say /do what they are thinking.

    I prefer censorship.

     

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"

     

     

    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." 

     

     

    I believe Kierkegaard would more attribute this to the other side of the argument.People using their freedom of speech to say others should not be allowed to make statements.He was talking about using a freedom t deny yourself other freedoms.

     

    To me it means thinking before you open your mouth, its a simple as that, freedom is not about being able to do what we please when we please, modern society works under the rule of law. The point being, can you get your point across without denigrating a section of society with crass and sensationalist rhetoric for a cheap laugh? if not you are not as intelligent and insightful as you think you are. If we are not empathetic towards others then we might as well shut up modern civilization as it has failed. We all see the immature behaviour of the MMO communities daily in many MMO's and isn't nice when you hit upon a mature community with mature rules? Freedom without rules isn't freedom its anarchy.

    This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

  • RateroRatero Tallassee, ALPosts: 337Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Foomerang

    So if someone is offended by a rape joke, they are wrong?

    Nope, not at all!

    But they should move on and not continue to view / purchase / etc. whatever offended them (their right as a consumer) instead of going on a crusade.

    Don't like something? Offended? Move on.. don't support it... leave some private (non-public) feedback with the creator if you feel so inclined.

    Don't get all Tipper Gore on us.

    Freedom of speech isn't free - the cost for your freedom to say/write/etc. what you want is that you sometimes (often depending on your surroundings) have to hear/see things you don't agree with.

     

    I thought this is why Lawyers had such a booming business. 

    Just saying...

     

    Ratero.

  • RateroRatero Tallassee, ALPosts: 337Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by Foomerang

     


    Originally posted by BadSpock

    Originally posted by Foomerang So if someone is offended by a rape joke, they are wrong?
    Nope, not at all!

     

    But they should move on and not continue to view / purchase / etc. whatever offended them (their right as a consumer) instead of going on a crusade.

    Don't like something? Offended? Move on.. don't support it... leave some private (non-public) feedback with the creator if you feel so inclined.

    Don't get all Tipper Gore on us.

    Freedom of speech isn't free - the cost for your freedom to say/write/etc. what you want is that you sometimes (often depending on your surroundings) have to hear/see things you don't agree with.

     


     

    You expect people to magically move on if they don't like rape jokes? You can't get people to move on from a fucking video game they dont like and you expect them to magically do so on an issue that actually matters?

    So the answer then is to censor and sanitize everything to protect the sensitivities of a few.....

    Exactly, it's called "political correctness" and they are opening new offices daily in a town near you (or they already may be there).


    Ratero.

  • RateroRatero Tallassee, ALPosts: 337Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by PAL-18
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by PAL-18

    What happens in games happens in peoples minds and there they should stay.

    And if I'm understanding you correctly I would agree. I love it and it's a great sentiment.

    However, there are going to be people who point to you and say "because you play x games you condone their messages of violence and misogyny and the use of drugs and etc (whatever the game has).

    And I don't believe for one minute you do.

    So that's why I don't believe in censorship. I just believe in people staying out of places they don't want to be in and I believe in people saying their piece but not seeking to force it down anyone's throat.

    Thats what i tried to say to Mr.Spock.

    Lets imagine that im on the bus for example and say to my friend that "lets rob this bus and drive it to China" as a joke, not a good one but anyways,then i stand up and tell that to everyone.

    Would be better to e-mail my terrible joke to the people who would like to hear it.

    They tried to teach childrens with those methods still at 80´s and we got wiser and figured out that it does not work it actually has the opposite effect.

    I dont know which one would be better,censorhip or let everybody to say /do what they are thinking.

    I prefer censorship.

     

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"

    At least give credit to Benjamin Franklin for the quote.

    People bring up quotes from the Founders all the time.  If they had lived in our current political arena they may be advocating something entirely different.

    Ratero.

  • RateroRatero Tallassee, ALPosts: 337Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    The internet proves to me that people are fake, they hide themselves out in the real world because they are afraid. The minute they get behind a keyboard they are the toughest mofo you've ever seen, They go to the gym 7 days a week and can get any girl they want and everyone else is either a virgin or has no job in their opinion.

    EVERYTHING on the Internet is TRUE.  I read, that on the Internet they cannot post anything that is not true.

    Excuse me now... I must get ready for my date... she's a French Model with a deep voice which I met on the Internet.

    Ratero.

  • RateroRatero Tallassee, ALPosts: 337Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by AwDiddums
    Originally posted by oakshooligan

    There are no lines in comedy.

    As soon as you validate one line, all lines are validated.

    The problem is society in general is being wrapped up in cotton wool by our respective governements, ppl are taking offence where no offence is intended.

    Comedians are being demonised for holding up a distorted mirror on our everday lives, most ppl get the joke, but these days less ppl are inclined to laugh out loud in fear that we are deemed offensive and insensitve to others issues.

    It has become a worrying trend when you could end up doing more time in prison for making a crude and inappropiate remark than driving a vehicle while under the influence of drink/drugs and potentially killing someone.

    The Nanny state is nearly in full control and sooner or later the internet will follow suit.

    Its not just the governments.  Its the entire fabric of society (such as it is) that has been corrupted by the dogma of PC (AKA Cultural Marxism).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism

    One of the principles of which is the dogma dealing with "offense", and the "right" of people to not be "offended".  Which upon examination is foolish. Due to the subjective nature of "offense", no one has a "right" not to be offended.

    Much of the evil that we see all around us (especially these days) stems from these mistaken beliefs.  Real rights, (such as those of life, liberty, property, to name but a few) stem from simply being a member of the human race.

    They are not granted by government, nor may they be taken away without due process (which was originally created to protect those pre existing rights FROM those in government).

    So very much has been lost over the generations, that all too many do not understand the vital link between real rights, and the responsibilities that naturally flow from them.  One has only to look around us to see the results.

    Thank you for posting this.  To few people see this at a current "truth" or they put their blinders on each and every morning so they do not have to see what is all around them.  One day in the near future the powder keg will blow and people are not going to like what they see once there are no more blinders left to put on.

     

    Ratero.

  • SoulsemmerSoulsemmer Wichita, KSPosts: 22Member Uncommon
    Thanks for the article, I agree wholeheartedly. Nothing else to really say, and I am not about to start beating my head on the wall that is made of trolls and insensitive dickbags.
Sign In or Register to comment.