Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good MMO recommendations for someone sick of current MMO mechanics

daterxiesdaterxies Member UncommonPosts: 14

I use to play SWG.. once that went downhill i moved to EvE Online and have been there for 8-9 years but i hardly play it as the game demands so much time when i started it i didnt have a family etc thats all changed.

SWG and EvE have been the only MMO's that everysucked me in and made me wanting to keep coming back for more.

Ive tried : 

WoW, Guild Wars 2, TSW, RIFT, TERA,  Darkfall.. well i guess i really tried  a lot of them and im getting sick of buying MMO's hoping that one of them will fill the void of how much i liked SWG and EvE when i use to play them.

Ive played quite a bit (maybe like 40 hours) of Planetside 2 and kind of burnt out on that as theres really no goal in the game other then taking areas it gets  a little old just doing that.

Im open to FPS mmos, Sandbox, not big into theme parks.. does anyone have any suggestions for someone who is getting bored of the stale mechanics that MMO's have been using since WoW?  Fantasy doesnt interest me that much and i think thats where a lot of my problem lies.. so many MMO's with magic and swords.

I know there has to have been someone in the same boat as me and found another good MMO.. i cant be the only one out there that likes sci fi / sandbox mmos.

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wushu. Layered system after layered system. This is what impressed me the most. Put it like this, if they took questing completely out the game, the game wouldn't even miss it. Easily the most innovative mmorpg the genre has seen since EVE. No one knows everything in Wushu.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Wushu. Layered system after layered system. This is what impressed me the most. Put it like this, if they took questing completely out the game, the game wouldn't even miss it. Easily the most innovative mmorpg the genre has seen since EVE. No one knows everything in Wushu.

I'll second Wushu.

Like EVE, it seems to have a design that allows you to fit your character to your playstyle, as opposed to the common MMO design of having to try to fit your playstyle into the pre-existing pigeon holes the game offers.

Here's a page to keep handy: http://ageofwushu.wikia.com/wiki/Age_of_Wushu_Wiki

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Originally posted by bcbully

Curious without quests, how does one go about learning the basics of the game?  Good Tutorial system?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

take a look at Vanguard. It's basically similar to wow, questing wise, but ... more open world. has really good classes. may not be what you are looking for but its f2p, so ..

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
       I was in the same boat as you, you know what I finally settled with? Skyrim, it's a single player MMO. As long as you don't mind not being able to group anymore, then it's for you.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Uncharted Waters Online

Koei lives in their own universe and does things the way they want to do things, while completely ignoring what the rest of the industry is doing.  So it won't be remotely similar to anything else you've played.  It's very much a sandbox, and the nearest MMORPG for comparison might be EVE, but it's not a terribly close comparison.  The real nearest comparison is the old Uncharted Waters console games from the early 1990s, but that's fairly obscure.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Fallen Earth. Far from a perfect game, and development has slowed to a crawl since G1st bought it, but it is unique in a lot of ways and has one of the most in-depth crafting systems out there.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

It probably won't hold you longterm, but it's frees, so there is little to lose in trying...

Firefall:  it's a shooter MMO - it's like a mix of Defiance, Global Agenda and Tabula Rasa combat with SWG's (almost exactly copied) crafting system. 

If you're sick of the same ol', give it a whirl. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Well OP if you are really sick of current MMO mechanics I guess you could try something old like EQ, AC, or UO. Otherwise... I guess there's Candy Crush.
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

FireFall

Fallen Earth

Anarchy Online

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Well OP if you are really sick of current MMO mechanics I guess you could try something old like EQ, AC, or UO. Otherwise... I guess there's Candy Crush.

My wife is absolutely addicted to Candy Crush.  It's the only thing she uses her iPad for.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Uncharted Waters Online

Koei lives in their own universe and does things the way they want to do things, while completely ignoring what the rest of the industry is doing.  So it won't be remotely similar to anything else you've played.  It's very much a sandbox, and the nearest MMORPG for comparison might be EVE, but it's not a terribly close comparison.  The real nearest comparison is the old Uncharted Waters console games from the early 1990s, but that's fairly obscure.

I wouldn't call it a sandbox but it is very unique. I think it would be pretty frustrating for someone that likes pvp and has issues with p2w though.

I haven't played in about 18 months so my info is pretty out of date.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Defiance.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Uncharted Waters Online

I wouldn't call it a sandbox but it is very unique. I think it would be pretty frustrating for someone that likes pvp and has issues with p2w though.

I haven't played in about 18 months so my info is pretty out of date.

That is what I have read about it. I read the P2W was strong. But I haven't ever played the game.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Would look at giving Wakfu or Dofus a chance. Think MMO with tactics like gameplay. Neat artwork too. Otherwise I would second Wushu for something different. I didn't care for it though. Neverwinter isn't really an MMO, has basic mechanics, but its really fast paced and free. Something to just screw around with. 

Anyway, Wakfu is the one in particular that I go to get something different. I recommend it if you want a really big change of scenery and pace.