Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The hardest EPIC boss fight you have ever fought?

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Whether you are casual or a raider. What is the best EPIC boss you have ever had to fight?

Please give a little detail as to why and what game it is from :-)

Also do you like raiding or do you like casual"lets get together" raids?

Comments

• huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210

hogger

when wow first came out always died against him

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • muskeydogbomuskeydogbo Member UncommonPosts: 14

Slightly undergeared  guild at the time (just scraped in ) Lady Vashj fairly handed us our asses for a few weeks ...loved doin me with "shot to the heart" in particular .

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I think the hardest for me was a Tremendous Monouga in AC, as it was a small group of us and we were rather under level for the creature. Took something like an hour to kill the damn thing and it stomped us into the ground repeatedly, but we were dead set on doing it. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• phuzionzphuzionz Member UncommonPosts: 23

Pre-nerf Sobek in SMITE from Hirez Studios was a pretty massive raid-boss, needed the whole team to take that guy out.

Moving away from MOBA's and more into MMORPGs...I'd have to say Kalphite Queen is pretty annoying.

As for RPGs...the final trainer in Elite Four on Pokemon Yellow back in the good ol' Gameboy Color days. Took so much hard core theorycrafting and preparation to finally defeat him.

"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Anarchy Online Tarasque,because its public PvP instance.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by huntersam

hogger

Damn, someone beat me to it.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

I tried to think of an EQ boss that was at all difficult in my days but couldnt. 

Probably go with vanilla Kel'Thuzad or Kael'thas Sunstrider pre-nerfs.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

That is a good question.

When I think back to it - a lot of the fights I thought were hard at the time were really only hard because they contained some gear check component: DPS down boss before it enraged, AOE a swarm of mobs, kill adds before they overwhelm you, survive/heal through really big hits on a boss, etc.

The tactics have all been pretty much the same - follow the emotes/telegraphs, control adds, heal the tank, don't stand in the fire/goo/aoe.

The hardest part really comes into trying to get 10/25/54/72 people to all follow the script. The script itself usually isn't too complicated, but when the margin for error is thin, it becomes more difficult. The more people you have on the tightrope, the easier it is to fall off.

I really like it when a guild/clan/etc really gets to know each other and has worked together for a while. That takes a lot of people all committing to the idea, and that is a rare thing to accomplish. Even some guilds that have been around for years, the membership fluctuates (people have to retire, people get bored, grass is greener in the other guild, sell their toon off for cash, whatever) - but there are usually a few short moments when the practice and the wipes and all the pain and heartache of farming the same old crap over and over and dying on the same new crap over and over finally pays off and you hit some sort of plane where you just bulldoze through content for a while ... at least until the next breakdown, where you have to survive through whatever cataclysm it is (drama bomb, mass defection, server transfer, lull before expansion, whatever), and then pick it all up and do it all over again.

You can't get any of that in PUG raiding... you just get to see some content and hope everyone follows some script, there isn't really any "real" story behind it.

So in that vein, I think the holding together of a raiding guild itself has been the most challenging EPIC boss I've ever fought. A lot of guilds come and go.. and a few can get some measure of success, but to make it through expansions and months and years, that's something special.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Final Fantasy tactics had some interesting head scratchers if you didn't min/max to death

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Absolutely no contest: The Rathe Council in EQ1.  Anyone who did this raid when it was current content knows what I'm talking about.

Everything else is a distant battle for second.

• AbdiellAbdiell Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by phuzionz

Pre-nerf Sobek in SMITE from Hirez Studios was a pretty massive raid-boss, needed the whole team to take that guy out.

Moving away from MOBA's and more into MMORPGs...I'd have to say Kalphite Queen is pretty annoying.

As for RPGs...the final trainer in Elite Four on Pokemon Yellow back in the good ol' Gameboy Color days. Took so much hard core theorycrafting and preparation to finally defeat him.

LMAO. That Glen Beck was a tough one back in the day. Still my favorite tank to play though.

As far as MMOs, it has to be Twin Emps/ C'thun. Those fights were insane, especially when you consider they were in vanilla WoW. No one REALLY knew how there classes worked, only 1 spec per class was viable, most spells were useless, and you had 40 damn people running around in those days.

These were by far my most satisfying WoW kills.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

The harder EQ2 raid's and even some of the older 6 man dungeon's have some pretty intense mechanics fights.  More than just  avoid the red flames type of fights.  I remember a fight where you had parts of the floor that would fall out and other parts that would either buff or debuff you depending where you stood all the while you had to kill two raid mobs and keep them apart from each other.  It was a crazy encounter with lots of moving parts.  I don't think most current EQ2 encounters are scripted anywhere near the same degree as the older ones where.  They are more gear checks and making sure everyone is paying attention than they are technically difficult fights.

I was looking at the Wildstar video yesterday for group content and raids and it seems like we might see some of that kind of technical difficulty return in that game.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Prob Hator-Ka in AoC before she got nerfed.. Omg what a pain in the butt. Everyone of the 24 people in the raid had to be fully focused, no room for slack or mistakes, and there was a pretty intense timed aspect to it as well..
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I think a interesting discussion more than specific fights is specific mechanics that people find challenging and difficult.

I personally have never been a fan of gear check or don't suck fights either in the form of a fixed time to kill a mob before he starts to one shot everyone or big AOE's that make sure you have the gear and your healers can keep up before you can move on.  What I do like are encounters that are technical.  Things like killing mobs in certain order or buffs/debuffs that are cast on individuals that you have to act on. 

A simple example is a fight I did just this weekend in a early dungeon of FFXIV.  You had to pull the named into the damage radius of these bombs to kill it while not getting killed by the bomb yourself with it splitting each time into smaller parts.  It wasn't a hard fight (it's only level 15 zone) but it's just technical enough to make it interesting.

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

My first raid ever was the most intense: Nagafen in EQ.

We had 60ish people and we had to get all buffers in a circle.

The non buffers had to go to each buf person, get buffed, then logout  to a chat room to protect their buf timers.

Once all were buffed, we all logged in at once and attacked Naggy.  75% of the force, including myself, were crispy critters, but we were victorious.

Good stuff!

-WL

• mythrenmythren Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by sirphobos

Absolutely no contest: The Rathe Council in EQ1.  Anyone who did this raid when it was current content knows what I'm talking about.

Everything else is a distant battle for second.

This.

• smartkidzsmartkidz Member Posts: 252

I remember an epic dragon in EQ? I think it was. It was called Kerafyrm the Sleeper. Dude was so bad ass it never died. Look it up. Even the GMs had its back. :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    =The best bash.org quote ever=
    Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance
    Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Hardest Epic Boss fight? The Wife when I wanted to have a weekend gaming session with my guild.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• MorrokMorrok Member Posts: 130

"epic" as in: for an epic item (EQ)?
    That would've been cleric epic 2.0 endfight back at the time.

"epic" as in: epic fun?
    These would've been (again EQ1) PoMischief, PoSky (also very frustrating) and PoHate golems/CT back in the times.

"epic" as in: most anticipated and still vividly remembered?
    (EQ1 too) Mayong Mistmoore, following The Performer.

Guess that's what you get when you play one game for too long, the memories of that game eclipse everything else.

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

There was a mission in SWTOR which was intended for several players. However, I tried to solo it because my Inquisitor had a lot more levels than what it was needed for the quest. The npcs weren't as easy as I thought, but after a lot of cleaning the final boss was the only remaining NPC to kill.

My npc companion died during the boss fight, that fucker hitted much harder than I have expected. At first I tried to run, however, since the boss' skills were melee mostly, I ended killing him with speed tanking. Snares, instant skills and DoTs were the only skills I could use to avoid being insta-killed. It was a hell of a fight, and a very long one

• kraizykraizy Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Tara in Anarchy Online nothing better then two factions raping each other when fighting for the loot of the dragon :O
  • SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60

25man Heroic Lichking in World of warcraft...that one was insane..

Then later on Heroic Ragnaros...that one was all so insane..

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Personally for fun would be the group of 3 ogres in Gruuls lair

But for complete instances for me it would be the pinacle of WoWs days (my opinion ofc) but Karazhan, back when you had to run the stupidly slow pre-quest just to get in the damn place

Loved that place and especially the opera event :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• TheRazhelTheRazhel Member Posts: 3

Get on mah level hoe