Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

At what point do you stop waiting?

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Anyone else waiting for these issues to be resolve **** So that they can purchase the game? -- At what point do you look sideways at the company, and say REALLY?

I get it, people - I do; similar issues have occurred with other titles during their launches, and if this was 2004 or even 2008 - and a first time launch title perhaps i'd give that red herring fallacy more credit then a simple face palm.

However - Not only are we sitting here, in 2013 (near 2014); over a week and half after the launch, - but this is a reboot, a second chance for a company that has fallen quite far from their legendary status they once enjoyed. To make matters worse, i do remember a multi-phase beta test that was engineered to give them some insight on server stress capabilities. --

That is IF we overlook the fact, that as the fan-boys cry, this -does- happen very often during launches. That makes this the most forseeable, and arguably most preventable issue to ever come across.

Now, if i owned the title perhaps my remarks would be more emotionally provoked. Now, i'm sitting slightly more curious than anything. --- I have not even been able to purchase the game. With the current dry spell of both MMO, and non-MMO titles in circulation; i'm giving this title it's fair time to straighten itself out , however i'm getting tired of waiting, and starting to look (and hoping) to find a different and less mainstream title to occupy my time til something of value makes it's way ---

So what i'm essentially asking, is what do you think is a reasonable time to wait? - Do you think in a week this will be resolve? 2 weeks? 3? -- A few days? I'd like some ideas on what you guys would believe to be the amount of time before this game is playable, and once again available for purchase, so i can make some choices as to where i put my money. ~ Thanks.

Comments

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    i was in the same boat i just got so upset i drove 2 hours to buy a copy. Whats the most frustrating thing about it is the fact they wont say anything about it i wish they would least come out and give us a timetable because i have lots of friends locked out.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    This may sound crazy because I have nothing to back up my thoughts, just my gut.  They just put in a big fix this past week.  My guess is this weekend will be the stress test.  If that goes well, I believe you will see sales resume pretty quickly.
  • DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Well i just downloaded Dragon Prophet. If i end up liking this game, S/E loses out on my money =/

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Since they fixed the servers a few days ago I have never once had an issue logging in the game first time everytime. Now that the only complaint is over with I'd say this is a perfect time to pick the game up.
  • sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

I was lucky and found the last boxed copy at my local store.

It cost $37AU which is around $30US which is a steal, it even came with the Helmet of Light unlock

Keep looking

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by Divion
    Well i just downloaded Dragon Prophet. If i end up liking this game, S/E loses out on my money =/

You won't end up liking it.  =P

• ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I pre-ordered FFXIV, expecting to receive Early Access, unfortunately the servers were so bogged down I only got Error 1017. I was only able to play at 3 AM MTN time or some other random non-peak time. Then, after the holiday weekend they fixed the issues with the server and I haven't had a problem since. I get in the game at any time, day or night. Their goal is to resume digital sales as soon as possible, they are monitoring the servers to make sure the problems they were having with congestion and the duty finder are relieved before they allow digital sales to resume. I understand your frustration, but patience is a virtue. I thoroughly enjoy FFXIV, and I'm sure you will too.
  • khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    i bought the game on release day but registred a week later since i knew there will be some problems. now the server problems are solved and i have 7 days added to the 30 days gaming time image
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Divion

For now. 

You'll defer your purchase until later, not cancel it completely.

Once you tire of DP you'll be back and more than willing to hand SE your cash.

They understand gaming addiction quite well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121

With the huge login problems and overwhelming sales at launch I am fairly certain they decided to stop all sales until they could get their servers/hardware all caught up and error free. 

I mean would you be happier to have gone out and bought the game only to net get any access at all? I think what they did was better than just pushing for more money and not giving a shite.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Patience, OP.  Are you really of the opinion that they are not as anxious to resume sales as you are about buying the game?  There is a reason for the madness.  The game is fun and hugely popular.  Hence the problems, which I am certain they are working furiously to resolve as soon as possible, without compromising game stability.

• KebeckKebeck Member Posts: 323
    Decided to wait a week to see reviews and comments on the game.. Would have been more than happy to give them my money. Ended up preordering NHL14 and GTA5 instead... Guess I won't have enough free time for FF after all... Maybe in a couple of months...
  • AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

Patience, OP.  Are you really of the opinion that they are not as anxious to resume sales as you are about buying the game?  There is a reason for the madness.  The game is fun and hugely popular.  Hence the problems, which I am certain they are working furiously to resolve as soon as possible, without compromising game stability.

Well that's a nice and flowery way of spinning the situation.. "Oh, they were just not prepared for their success! That's how great the game is!!".

I'm seeing that spin a lot from the ARR Apologist Brigade.

The fact of the matter is, they were unprepared not only in terms of having enough servers, but in terms of being able to upgrade/add new hardware in a timely manner. And do not say "well you can't just put new servers online that quickly", because other MMOs have done it already. They prepared ahead of time for the eventuality that such a process might be necessary, so they got things in place before it became an issue... rather than waiting until after it was to deal with it.

So, if other developers have managed to find a process to get new servers online to meet demand, then so could SE. They simply didn't.  That's all there is to it.

Telling people to "be patient", or going to the extreme of calling people "entitled brats" (as a number have done already, especially on the official forums) because they - gasp - expect to be able to play a game they bought less than a week after buying it is,  yet again... more apologist nonsense.

And let's not use the "all MMO launches are rough", because that is - yet again!  - apologist nonsense. You do not excuse poor performance by pointing to similarly bad or worse performance. It doesn't "make it okay". It makes it "just as bad or worse".

Further, it shows a lack of foresight or prudence on their part that they didn't do focused stress tests throughout Beta. The first true stress test didn't happen until Beta 4... which is, coincidentally, when the 3102 started hitting the fan.  Then there were issues with server capacity, which again... should have been addressed during the closed beta period, in the form of focused stress tests. Other developers have done this, and it works to identify problems like the 1017, 3102 and such in advance, so they can address them before launching it.

It also demonstrates a lack of preparedness on their part to have not made sure all the EU/NA servers were "up to snuff", especially knowing that all the testing and fixing prior to that had been on the JP servers. And yet, they didn't do that. They just set them up and launched. And - surprise of surprises - JP had very few issues, while EU/NA was a rolling train wreck.

And let's not even get into the SNAFU that was the registration codes.

Or the fact that they closed everyone's support tickets and required everyone to re-submit them. Incidentally... I re-submitted mine, and now a week later, I've not even gotten so much as a response that they're even looking at it. So they're still  dropping the ball on that front.

SE demonstrated a complete lack of either concern or competence when it came to implementing the auto-kick for AFK'ing. People are saying to them "do an auto-kick, or at least server resets every so many hours so others can get a chance to log in". The correct response should have been to implement some kind of response when they were actually affecting people.

What was SE's brilliant response to all that? "No, we're going to wait 'til next week, after we've implemented these changes. Then we'll consider implementing such a system. In other words: "We'll implement an AFK-timeout after the problem it's intended to address is no longer affecting anyone". Brilliance. Pure brilliance. I couldn't have face-palmed any harder when they made that announcement.

Don't even tell me "AFK'ers weren't the problem!". They absolutely were. SE made it abundantly clear numerous times that they had a specific cap for the number of characters that could be logged in on each server. AFK characters contributed to that total. Hence, every AFK'er logged in blocked another player who actually could play from getting into the game. I understand that's the rationalization a bunch of people came up with to excuse the ignornace of their actions (staying AFK for hours on end). I also understand why it's a complete crock of shit.

SE has been fumbling this launch going as far back as Beta 3, if not farther. It all culminated in the issues that we all had to deal with while they figured out what the hell they were doing.

This complacent, "bend over and take whatever the company gives you, because you like the game" crap has to stop, or developers will continue to pull this crap, and will never improve their standards. If this were any other kind of product, in any other setting, people would not be spinning this apologist nonsense.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Wait, they cancelled sales AGAIN?

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Have not had a single problem since they did the fix.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Mannish

It works fine now, but people still can't buy the game. Square never lifted that.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Ayulin

Well that's a nice and flowery way of spinning the situation.. "Oh, they were just not prepared for their success! That's how great the game is!!".

The fact of the matter is, they were unprepared not only in terms of having enough servers, but in terms of being able to upgrade/add new hardware in a timely manner. And do not say "well you can't just put new servers online that quickly", because other MMOs have done it already. They prepared ahead of time for the eventuality that such a process might be necessary, so they got things in place before it became an issue... rather than waiting until after it was to deal with it.

So, if other developers have managed to find a process to get new servers online to meet demand, then so could SE. They simply didn't.  That's all there is to it.

Telling people to "be patient", or going to the extreme of calling people "entitled brats" (as a number have done already, especially on the official forums) because they - gasp - expect to be able to play a game they bought less than a week after buying it is,  yet again... more apologist nonsense.

And let's not use the "all MMO launches are rough", because that is - yet again!  - apologist nonsense. You do not excuse poor performance by pointing to similarly bad or worse performance. It doesn't "make it okay". It makes it "just as bad or worse".

Further, it shows a lack of foresight or prudence on their part that they didn't do focused stress tests throughout Beta. The first true stress test didn't happen until Beta 4... which is, coincidentally, when the 3102 started hitting the fan.  Then there were issues with server capacity, which again... should have been addressed during the closed beta period, in the form of focused stress tests. Other developers have done this, and it works to identify problems like the 1017, 3102 and such in advance, so they can address them before launching it.

It also demonstrates a lack of preparedness on their part to have not made sure all the EU/NA servers were "up to snuff", especially knowing that all the testing and fixing prior to that had been on the JP servers. And yet, they didn't do that. They just set them up and launched. And - surprise of surprises - JP had very few issues, while EU/NA was a rolling train wreck.

Or the fact that they closed everyone's support tickets and required everyone to re-submit them. Incidentally... I re-submitted mine, and now a week later, I've not even gotten so much as a response that they're even looking at it. So they're still  dropping the ball on that front.

SE demonstrated a complete lack of either concern or competence when it came to implementing the auto-kick for AFK'ing. People are saying to them "do an auto-kick, or at least server resets every so many hours so others can get a chance to log in". The correct response should have been to implement some kind of response when they were actually affecting people.

What was SE's brilliant response to all that? "No, we're going to wait 'til next week, after we've implemented these changes. Then we'll consider implementing such a system. In other words: "We'll implement an AFK-timeout after the problem it's intended to address is no longer affecting anyone". Brilliance. Pure brilliance. I couldn't have face-palmed any harder when they made that announcement.

Don't even tell me "AFK'ers weren't the problem!". They absolutely were. SE made it abundantly clear numerous times that they had a specific cap for the number of characters that could be logged in on each server. AFK characters contributed to that total. Hence, every AFK'er logged in blocked another player who actually could play from getting into the game. I understand that's the rationalization a bunch of people came up with to excuse the ignornace of their actions (staying AFK for hours on end). I also understand why it's a complete crock of shit.

SE has been fumbling this launch going as far back as Beta 3, if not farther. It all culminated in the issues that we all had to deal with while they figured out what the hell they were doing.

This complacent, "bend over and take whatever the company gives you, because you like the game" crap has to stop, or developers will continue to pull this crap, and will never improve their standards. If this were any other kind of product, in any other setting, people would not be spinning this apologist nonsense.

Relax ... It's over.  It's going to be alright.

/laughs

Originally posted by Panther2103
    Originally posted by Mannish

It works fine now, but people still can't buy the game. Square never lifted that.

I am sure they will start selling again soon. Probaly just making sure everything is 100% working before they do.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Originally posted by Ayulin

You little stress monster, you!

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Not understanding the point of this thread.... They fixed the servers the other day and for the most part it is smooth logins on most of them. Once in game it runs better than most MMOs that have had over a year to apply fixes..... SO..... I don't see why you have to wait to buy? SE has been fixing the issues and as far as I am concerned the game is far better than most MMOs out there to play, heck I even upgraded to Collector status!

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

My two cents: sales resume on Monday.

I hope so, I want to play this game.

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

Originally posted by NobleNerd
    Not understanding the point of this thread.... They fixed the servers the other day and for the most part it is smooth logins on most of them. Once in game it runs better than most MMOs that have had over a year to apply fixes..... SO..... I don't see why you have to wait to buy? SE has been fixing the issues and as far as I am concerned the game is far better than most MMOs out there to play, heck I even upgraded to Collector status!

How do you upgrade to collectors status? I will probably be upgrading mine also.

• FelverickFelverick Member Posts: 5

I've been bummed out by the inability to buy the game too. That being said, I 'get it'. You guys have to realize the demand for the game seems really really high... They ran at capacity of 250,000 users concurrent right out of the gate at launch. They also have to be able to keep new players that purchase the physical copy of the game able to join and be stable before they can open sales online back up. They have to be able to handle probably 500,000 *new* players.

With the above being said, has anyone found a trusted source selling CD keys for the game? I'd not mind paying a premium so I could get in and play but NA isn't like EU. EU has a bunch of sites that have keys in stock and sell them for 5-10 dollars over the cost of the box. NA seems to be stuck with buying the game off ebay and having the seller give you the code before they ship it... That's all fine and dandy except the copies are all CE @ hundreds of dollars or the regular edition @ 70-100 shipping out of hong kong for some reason. Just don't trust that. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by dzones

With the huge login problems and overwhelming sales at launch I am fairly certain they decided to stop all sales until they could get their servers/hardware all caught up and error free. 

I mean would you be happier to have gone out and bought the game only to net get any access at all? I think what they did was better than just pushing for more money and not giving a shite.

I think the fact that the servers are running fine, now makes us non-playing FF fans upset that we can't get it now. They haven't even given a day to shoot for. My son and I have been logging here religiously for 5 days now hoping a digital copy goes on sale. I know they must have good reasons not to make more money, but please tell us something! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Waiting for digital version basicly because I can't be bothered taking a 10 minute train trip. Hope it's solo friendly due to the lieklyhood that sometimes I can't be at the computer constanly for more than 20 minutes at a time + work. Bad time for gaming right now but hope there is good guilds as I don't like random dungeon runs as much due to low patience.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.