Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Andryah has spoken! (In reference to the SSSP) .. Pro EA monetization, of course!

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

quote 1

Basic business practices 101 ---> All revenue contributes to the bottom line for a product. Operations cost plans for the next year are in fact based on a projection of what total revenue a business expects. These plans are then reviewed/adjusted quarterly for any deviations between planVSactuals.

It is normal and customary to charge for everything that cost you materially to produce. An expac certainly qualifies. In this MMO flexible business model.. CM sales offset some of those costs while requiring much lower operations costs to produce. So do subscriptions.. however more of subscriptions are committed to ongoing patch content. Like any other business.. their operations are funding from their planned revenue and most businesses will diversify their revenue streams to mitigate things like.... lower then expected revenues from any one stream (like a subscription stream).

--

quote 2:

Cost is not the same. Cost is roughly linear in content-VS-effort. Developing a full free form space environment + a new large RoTHC style planet + new level caps + <insert your favorite additional new content here> would cost a lot more then just full free form space environment.

My point is.. not everyone wants all content..so they should not have to buy it all to get the parts they want. And in the era of digital download xpacs.. it costs nothing to break it up in smaller pieces (at smaller prices per piece) for those that want to pick and choose what they want. The era of large boxed expansion packs every three years is passé in the market IMO.

She is such a sweetheart calling RotHT a large planet.  Too bad everything else is either double talk or EA mantra (but that's her job!)

She qualifies in my book as saying the least in the most amount of words!

Let me paraphrase, if I may:

quote 1: SSSP won't be free, even though SWTOR is F2P.

quote 2:  EA wants to do more small DLC patches, costing a small amount for each patch.

Does Andryah, EA reps or anyone involved think that using big words and confusing ideas makes what they are saying any more solid?  Perhaps they use psychology to bore people in their phrases, while injecting ideas into their subconscious? (likely)

I'm not a fan of EA tactics, with monetization and the practice of "skimming" off paying customers.  I see though EA's attempts .. but thats me.

Does anyone else see this?

orig link to SWTOR forums:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=678116&page=6

... This stuff makes my head spin ..

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

i have to agree with her on 2 Things:

the large, boxed expansions will  ,mostly ,disappear

breaking it Down into smaller bits will increase revenue, and keep the playerbase busy

and , naturally , SSSP wont be free,,this is EA, they didnt become so rich, by giving away stuff

BTW, how can she offer so many "pro tips", if she doesnt get paid?

in my book, the difference between amateurs and professionals, is...Money

she usually doesnt write anything wrong, but she twists and turns everything, until

her opponents get confused,,or just fed up

TBH, im still not sure, who is paying her salary

if its BW or EA, too bad for them

if its blizzard,,too bad for us

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by simplius

i have to agree with her on 2 Things:

the large, boxed expansions will  ,mostly ,disappear

breaking it Down into smaller bits will increase revenue, and keep the playerbase busy

and , naturally , SSSP wont be free,,this is EA, they didnt become so rich, by giving away stuff

BTW, how can she offer so many "pro tips", if she doesnt get paid?

in my book, the difference between amateurs and professionals, is...Money

she usually doesnt write anything wrong, but she twists and turns everything, until

her opponents get confused,,or just fed up

TBH, im still not sure, who is paying her salary

if its BW or EA, too bad for them

if its blizzard,,too bad for us

I considered that too.

The more damaging elements come from complacency within, to be even the strongests of the strong's undoing.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

IMO, blizzard>EA, because:

blizzard dont milk as hard , as EA

and blizzard built their own Cash cow

i feel sorry for those poor slobs, that get the star wars license after EA

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

So we have a company that wants to sell a piece of content and this is bad.. HOW?

Logic?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

So we have a company that wants to sell a piece of content and this is bad.. HOW?

Logic?

Your very notion of a game trying to sell content contradicts the very nature of F2P.

There is no logic if F2P =/= F2P.  Only EA .. Only Zuul.

Originally posted by Karteli

Logic?

Your very notion of a game trying to sell content contradicts the very nature of F2P.

I don't think F2P means what you think it means for most of the F2P MMOs in the market.

By your logic 'F2P' shouldn't have cash shops or expansion packs which isn't the case.

Once again; Logic?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Logic?

I don't think F2P means what you think it means for most of the F2P MMOs in the market.

By your logic 'F2P' shouldn't have cash shops or expansion packs which isn't the case.

Once again; Logic?

i agree that F2P does not mean the game is 100% free, or it would need to be completely offline to stay alive without making profit.

The problem is that EAware havent learned how to properly manage mmos. THey need to sell the Tor license to a more experienced company and they can stay with what they do best (which is far from mmo). It doesnt look like they will ever learn to run a business model right with Swtor, which is sad.

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

Logic?

Heh, don't tell me you think Free To Play actually means...free?

There is no such thing as developers sitting there day after day developing game content just out of the goodness of their heart and then during night hours they head over to McDonalds flipping burgers so they can pay their rent. Every company needs to make money, period. 

I'll give you that the term Free To Play is somewhat misleading but it has a better ring to it than Pay for Stuff You Crave (edit: the PSYC model lol)

Logic?

Once again; Logic?

I don't believe in the defense that just because someone else does something then it's OK for others to do it also.

All F2P's have a cash-shop .. it's how they stay in business.  But, look at Aion .. no paywalls, no DLC's .. just a cashshop with fluff.  SWTOR is already backing themselves into a corner with their monetization, It's hard for EA to do anything but continue onwards.  SWTOR uses subscriptions to segregate the community, which is very bad.

[And SWTOR is yet to have a real expansion pack .. they can call it an expansion, but we all know it's just a small DLC pack :P]

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Yes sure, we should totally rage at companys that want to make money and don't donate all of their money and time to the freeloader.

Oh wait,...

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

I don't believe in the defense that just because someone else does something then it's OK for others to do it also.

All F2P's have a cash-shop .. it's how they stay in business.  But, look at Aion .. no paywalls, no DLC's .. just a cashshop with fluff.  SWTOR is already backing themselves into a corner with their monetization, It's hard for EA to do anything but continue onwards.  SWTOR uses subscriptions to segregate the community, which is very bad.

[And SWTOR is yet to have a real expansion pack .. they can call it an expansion, but we all know it's just a small DLC pack :P]

The amount of backtracking / goal post moving is a bit bizzare but lets break this down. :)

So you want SWTOR to not use the F2P definition even though its what every F2P MMO uses? Logic? LOGIC? Hello?? logic??

Then we have a paragraph of 'defending Aion's business model' because its 'OK for others just not SWTOR' or something. Nice contradiction there though.

Then we have a personal definition of what a DLC is compared to what an expansion is cause obviously this person's definition is what an expansion SHOULD BE or every MMO.

I know some people have this bizzare hatred towards EA / SWTOR but some of the arguments like (How dare EA charge for content!) is just /facepalm material.

Gdemami -

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

The comment about breaking things down because not everyone might want them does beg the question as to why Makeb wasn't broken down! After all the WAR "xpac" was broken down into 3 chunks because "smaller was better" etc. There weren't any more WAR xpacs however - large or small.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

There isn't anything confusing in anything she said.

Game content costs money to produce. In order to keep producing content, something must be charged for. The SSSP is new content, and being new, it's probably desirable (they hope), and so it makes sense to charge for it. The people who have no interest in the SSSP will incur no costs at all because of the addition of that content to the game.

It would be nice if other developers or publishers were as forthcoming with their intentions and motivations as this bit of information from the SWToR team.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Karteli dude I love you and read your posts around site but its clear man. SWTOR flopping like a Cyrus the Virus twerk at the VMA really messed with you. We know they failed or we would be looking at a real story expansion just as they promised now. Instead they are trying to milk interested players for as much money as they can through cash shop BS to pad the bottom line and keep the penny pinchers happy. So? What is your point? Do you want me to lambast EA as a a terrible company that resorts to near fraudulent and questionably legal means of making money off you, me, and its own employees, like some zombie Terrorcon from Transformers Prime?

EEEENERGON (CASH SHOP)

*CREEP*

EEEENERGON (CASH SHOP)

Dude they are selling panties for characters in the cash shop and you... you what? Of course they are looking to milk you for as much as possible for as little return as they can get away with in everything they do. From the used game issue on. It is what it is. Business.

WTF!?

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

Shes a joke. Honestly, nobody on the internet has ever made me mad until she came along.

Whatever EA/Bioware does, no matter how despicable, she defends it to the death.

She is one of the reasons why I quit the game. There is zero chance that necessary fixes will happen as long as she and the rest of the bioware defense force are actively campaigning against positive change.

• flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92

she was outed as a sound engineer at bioware ages ago. she got the user banned of course almost immediately. she's one of those "perma-temps" thatt game studios have. keep around an employeed on a temp's salary and little to no benefits.

she probably gets a nice bonus for all her online reputation management though.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

Andryah was one of the many reasons myself and about 6 other guildies (back in good ole sub days) quit the forums at swtor. The pure blind, EA/BW can do no wrong and SWTOR is fine approach did way more harm than good. Guess that's why they are still there spewing out false SWTOR info, and passing it off as fact!

"THE GAME IS FINE, THE SHIP ISN'T SINKING!!! ...Why are you wearing a lifebelt Andryah?" :)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
    Originally posted by Frostvein

Shes a joke. Honestly, nobody on the internet has ever made me mad until she came along.

Whatever EA/Bioware does, no matter how despicable, she defends it to the death.

She is one of the reasons why I quit the game. There is zero chance that necessary fixes will happen as long as she and the rest of the bioware defense force are actively campaigning against positive change.

I don't think you understand how 'attacking your employer' is probably not a good move in the real world where people actually have jobs and such.

And complaining that 'a company is charging for content' requires some 'fixes' is hilarious.

Gdemami -

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Frostvein

I don't think you understand how 'attacking your employer' is probably not a good move in the real world where people actually have jobs and such.

And complaining that 'a company is charging for content' requires some 'fixes' is hilarious.

Its embarrassing and underhanded that EA would hire a professional shill for their forums to begin with.

And if you don't think that charging 20 dollars for a single one time use only dye is ridiculous and requires fixing then we have nothing else to talk about.

This discussion has been closed.