Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Chatting with Naoki Yoshida at PAX Prime ‘13

13»

Comments

• RexGarvinRexGarvin Member Posts: 28
    A game that has more start up problems than SWTOR !!!!  The problems will not be mine because I am not going to purchase the game for at least 2 months. 
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by alyosha17
    Originally posted by Xiaoki Its awesome that they were able to rebuild an MMO in a year but its a bit disappointing that some features that were talked about numerous times before are several still updates away. Its even more disappointing that they are willing to devote some time and effort to fixing Quality of Life issues. Yeah, server issues come first but I doubt that the programmers that would add quest tracking back into the game(for some stupid reason it was removed in phase 4 beta) would be the same people upgrading server queue system. Also, disappointed to hear that they are unwilling to look at Fates. The experience gains from a full party chaining Fates is practically an exploit but the attitude suggests they are going to ignore it and hope it goes away. Im really liking FF14 despite the issues but there are definite problems that need fixed and not everyone is going to patient and wait until some future update. We dont want promises or apologies, we want action.
    More like 2.5 years, and they cut a lot of corners also.  The zones were decreased in size to like 1/50th of their original size.  They REMOVED 90% of the original cutscenes and never put in replacement ones.  Most of this is probably just a result of ps3 limitations though, to be fair.  i guess there's only so much they could have done.

The zones in the original FF14 were far larger than they needed to be. What would be the point of having HUGE zones if its mostly empty space.

In ARR they focused on what they needed in the zones and the zones look and feel great because of it.

Why would they keep the story cutscenes for a story that is no longer part of the game?

ARRs story takes place 5 years after the original FF14 and that progression of the story is represented in the entire world. I mention this because you clearly do not know this or else you would not bring it up.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

they are adding new servers, and giving us 7 free days (which is good, because it can take that long to log in).

unfortunately does that still mean i'll get error 1017 on the server i chose and have played quite a number of hours on. Does that mean my issue isn't resolved and i still will get error 1017 because they still haven't grasped the technical issues that have plagued this game since version 1.0.

are they still going to fail miserably. because at the moment new servers mean NOTHING. All it means is they can reopen digital sales. And have the same issues plaguing the current servers across the ENTIRE BOARD.

They are going to go down in a blaze of failing glory and it's going to be funny, it'll be the final nail in the coffin of something they should have been better prepared for (previous MMO launches, their previous attempt, all the betas from the previous attempt and the 4 beta's they had for this "reincarnation"..  as well as the preorder data from customers) - all at their fingertips and yet they did NOTHING to prevent the technical issues.

7 free days, means 7 more days for people to decide whether to subscribe or  not... and that first re subscription will either save the game or force it free to play in so few months. At the moment what they are doing is ...

*not enough. 

*too little too late. 

*all they're doing is making sure the error 1017 will appear on MORE servers. funny stuff indeed.

They don't have a plan... the game is fine mostly. The getting to play the game is the issue... me.. it's another night i was unable to log into my world. Error 1017. Thanks.. another day when i can decide "should i resubscribe to something i can  barely play". Yeah... no.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• PapamacPapamac Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Papamac
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

God help them, though, if they haven't ironed everything out by the end of this week. 

Or what?

We'll all have to wait another week?

Every major gaming site on the planet is watching this game.  As a (pseudo-)reviewer on this site has said, you rarely get a second chance to make a good first impression.

Early Access?  Failed.

Release?  Failed.

If they don't have everything running smoothly by the end of this week, after their much-ballyhooed server upgrades, they will have done what no other publisher has managed to do in almost 12 years.  They will have stolen the crown from Funcom for the most failed launch of a game in MMORPG history.

In other words, I strongly suspect that most of the devs, including Mr. Yoshida, are very worried about their job security right now.  Because if I were a stakeholder in this company, I'd be screaming for blood.

At the moment, the only saving grace (and the reason that so many people are as pissed off as they are) is that FFXIV:ARR is a great game.  I've only scratched the surface, but everything I've seen so far impresses me.  It's just unfortunate that the EA/launch experience has turned a potentially great community into an angry mob. 

But the game itself did not.

How do you know all this other stuff? Sounds like a lot of assumption to me. Seriously, the game is a huge success and all they have to do is fix it soon and this launch will be brought up in future discussions as nothing more than a little side note. 

Now THAT is an assumption.

It's too early to tell whether the game is going to be succesful or not.  This is only its second week after release. So far  nobody has actually been able to play the game "for real".  Most people are just hopping from alt to alt, depending one which server they're lucky enough to log on to.  Only time will tell.

Worried about jobs? No I don't think so. Yoshi has done what he was supposed to do. He's a developer, he probably has nothing to do with the data center infra-structure anyway. That's the networking guys' jobs. Sure, fire them and replace them but nobody even knows who they are anyway. Besides, they probably did their jobs. Setting up the infrastructure based on the estimates. Now, Maybe we can fire who ever set up the initial estimates. But, they probably did their jobs appropriately based on the projected sales. I know, we can fire the guy who's crystal ball didn't accurately predict how big this game would be.

Apparently you skipped over the post that had a link to an interview with Mr. Yoshida.  To quote him (via the article)...

"We won't make a mistake like FFXIV again...If we did, it would be like at the level of destroying the company."

You must have also skipped over the post wherein a former beta-tester confirmed that the current problems existed in beta.  Mr. Yoshida and company decided to release a broken game.  

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

I hope the fix thee server problems. I have faith they will!

Great game. Hi-5 SE!

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Lucrecia

No one is having fun camping FATEs. People are only doing it to get to max quickly...these same people will run any exploit no matter how unfun it is to simply get that edge over anyone else who is enjoying the game the way the designers wanted the game to be enjoyed.

Fix this FFXIV. No one loves the current FATEs system.

I think many people are loving it.  Many people want to level fast, I am not one of them however.  I see huge groups of people doing fates, many in game requests for fate parties and most people in game don't have an issue with it. 

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Michael Bitton,  I love how you write, I hope you do the actual review of this game yourself.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Mr. Yoshida also touched briefly on the notion of queues and an AFK idle kick.  The team is willing to look into an AFK kick or queue system, but as of this moment, they are devoting 100% of their efforts towards getting the aforementioned additional servers and server changes implemented this week. We were also told that while players may be seeing tons of other players idling around AFK, the vast majority of players logging in are actually playing, they’re just putting in some crazy hours.

I dunno where Mr. Yoshida is getting this info from.  But out of 153 people in my free company, 86 of them were logged in at 8pm est yesterday.  Of those 86 only 23 were currently playing.  Assuming my FC isn't a complete anomaly, that means that only 23% of people logged in are actually playing.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Now THAT is an assumption. It's too early to tell whether the game is going to be succesful or not.  This is only its second week after release. So far  nobody has actually been able to play the game "for real".  Most people are just hopping from alt to alt, depending one which server they're lucky enough to log on to.  Only time will tell.

Clearly not a clue what is actually going on... Amusing read though.

• PapamacPapamac Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Now THAT is an assumption. It's too early to tell whether the game is going to be succesful or not.  This is only its second week after release. So far  nobody has actually been able to play the game "for real".  Most people are just hopping from alt to alt, depending one which server they're lucky enough to log on to.  Only time will tell.

Clearly not a clue what is actually going on... Amusing read though.

Please enlighten me.  What, then, is actually going on?

• butcher385butcher385 Member Posts: 5
    when will digital download be available again
  • h0tNstilettosh0tNstilettos Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Its awesome that they were able to rebuild an MMO in a year but its a bit disappointing that some features that were talked about numerous times before are several still updates away.

Its even more disappointing that they are willing to devote some time and effort to fixing Quality of Life issues. Yeah, server issues come first but I doubt that the programmers that would add quest tracking back into the game(for some stupid reason it was removed in phase 4 beta) would be the same people upgrading server queue system.

Also, disappointed to hear that they are unwilling to look at Fates. The experience gains from a full party chaining Fates is practically an exploit but the attitude suggests they are going to ignore it and hope it goes away.

Im really liking FF14 despite the issues but there are definite problems that need fixed and not everyone is going to patient and wait until some future update.

We dont want promises or apologies, we want action.

What do you mean by adding back quest trackers?  All my quests are tracked and listed on the right side of my screen, there are quest pointers on the map to help guide you to an NPC's?  What are you referring to,  flashing arrows on the ground that you can follow?  Or a button you can click to auto run you to your objective?

Can you please explain?

He means the ability to hide or show what quests are displayed in the duty tracker like most MMORPGs have. It was there in phase 3, then I noticed phase 4 and beyond it wasn't there. It's weird that they removed it.

• StathoacStathoac Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Is there any more information floating around about the "Field Content" mentioned in the the article?
  • NOMNOM81NOMNOM81 Member Posts: 1

I played 1.0, was disappointing of course, though I am glad I stuck with it, as I was given Legacy Status for 2.0. Was also happy to hear Mr Yoshida was going to taking command of it, being that I loved XI so very much.

Beautiful, loved the improvements I was seeing in the beta- with each one. Second beta I have to say, the disappointment sunk in.. It was when I was to go into my first dungeon.. WHY IN THE HELL DO ALL DUNGEONS NEED TO BE INSTANCED RAIDS! WHY? I wanted to be able to explore inside of the dungeon with my friend who I was playing beta with, check it out, see what's up, could we get lucky and beat down the boss we needed for our quest. or were we gonna get our asses kicked? Part of the thrill was not knowing, and believing we could do it lol. I was also anxious to see how they did dungeon designs.

I let out a huge "that effin sucks!" when we were told we needed a party. Standing around shouting for a group (before DF) was NOT fun, waiting around for DF (later), was not fun, needing to be in a party to go inside of a dungeon extremely not fun!

For dungeons like Crystal Tower I get it, it works, its actually awesome, and fun... For things like Crystal Tower, but not every goddamn dungeon! How freakin cool would it have been to step inside of a dungeon like Wanderer's Palace. Seeing someone or a few people doing a leve maybe, or seeing a FATE or two go off. See a party of people go by you, as they head towards the deeper harder area of the dungeon to get a quest done.

Weapons and armor come too quick, feels rushed. As someone who mostly crafts and gathers. I can say I was highly disappointed, when I spent a nice amount of gil, to make my lovely pretty flower staff, IL70 - with materia in it.. Only to see someone run on by me, with lower level gear on, with their damn relic staff... Which I then got the next damn day, because my FC wanted to get their relics, and well why not? they need a WHM, I was best geared for Titan, not to mention my awesome WHM skillz (yes I'm all that and a bag of chips ROFL- let me stop)

So I feel like I wasted some gil, and I couldn't even put the staff up for sale, or give it to someone- because of stupid spirit bond. Had the companion thing be set up like XI, where you pick the look of another character, who would eventually adventure out with you, instead of a stupid ass chocobo you can't give gear to- I not only wouldn't have felt like it was all a waste, but that would have given me more incentive to level armorer- to make my companion a tank.

Another thing that wouldn't have made it feel like a waste... IS IF THE DAMN STAFF HAD SOME SORT OF EFFECT THAT BOOSTED A SKILL OR SPELL! I missed that! In XI, my BLM had all of his elemental rods, that gave his little spells a boost, not only was shit like that just effin awesome and fun- but you kinda felt like a baddass with all of those stave, especially those HQ ones. And that's just the weapons, because after getting my complete IL90 WHM armor... My FC wants me to try Binding Coil, I say sure, we learn it, eventually beat it well, hey look Healing Tunic for me.. What do I do with my WHM robe now? Maybe if it had an effect like I dunno, made Shroud last an extra 20 secs, would have been awesome, or maybe a refresh?

I love the way the jobs were set up in XI, I honestly do not know how they will pull off certain jobs on XIV.. I loved NIN in XI, was a damn good one too, but I cannot think of how a NIN would work in this game. I also miss the weird party set ups we'd do at times in XI, that was FUN! I dual boxed, LS mate wanted to form a Blue Mage party (another fav job). I subbed WAR, mine was the tank, set my spells up that made my tanking sweet, one had their spells set up to be more of a healer, another more of a damage dealer ect, and my BRD, I was DB'ing kept us refreshed, and boosted certain stats- it was AWESOME, AND FUN!

Can't seem to do things like that on this, closest thing we did, was take our relic SMN's into Amdapor Keep. It was pretty fun, but I don't think we'd be able to do 7 SMN and a SCH- haven't tried that yet.

I get its an MMO, and you do stuff with other people- that's great. Unfortunately the game feels TOO reliant on others, pertaining to dungeons again- and if someone is acting like an idiot, it messes it up for everyone. By idiot I don't mean someone who is learning a fight or whatever, I'm pretty laid back, and don't get all worked up over crap like that, we've all had to learn... I mean idiots who like to constantly run in and out of boss rooms, or worse, that fool who likes to keep playing with the ready check DURING BOSS FIGHT.

Sometimes I just like doing stuff with 2-4 of my RL friends, not everyone! The game is definitely a step above 1.0 no doubt, but I doubt it will last as long as XI has. I am interested in seeing how things are done in 2.0, but I gotta say... After 3 beta,  it looks like its going to be Elder Scrolls Online getting my attention. Didn't care for the game at first, but after those beta, man I had so much fun!

My friend and I did a dungeon together, just the two of us. When we went back inside, to do some killing, we came across a mage chick doing the dungeon, she needed some help, so we gladly joined and helped, it was so cool, and my excitement is for ESO now.