Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do most current MMOs suck? Why do we keep buying them?

2»

Comments

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

As I see it, you should try out TSW.

The pvp still needs development, but the pve game is pure awesome and will make you smile, laugh and stay up longer than you are supposed to.  The quests are very well made and will make every other games quests feel even worse after you have done them. Especially the investigation quests! Dont use a spoiler, and you will learn how to play again.

The hardest part is getting used to thinking while questing... all the other games have made follow the map marker, kill 10 rats, pickup whatever you see that is glowing and spend absolutely 0 time thinking. You didnt even need to read the quest, just go on autopilot!

In TSW you will learn that you have to pay attention. Follow the clues. Investigate. Think. Fail. and then finally succeed. And experience joy and happiness from completing a single quest! 

And the best part... you only need to make 1 character... Healer one moment, change skills/gear and you are the damagedealer or the tank. No need to make 10 alts before you finally decide what you like.

So dont wait, go play TSW! Its Buy to Play!

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Don't buy every MMO that comes out thinknig it's going to be the next WoW.  These days, people are practically begging to just give their money away, with pre-ordering for beta access and buying into crowdfunded indie vaporware.  Wait until something gets released, maybe check some review sites to see what overall opinion is, and then buy it after you know it's not a total dog.  Most have some free trial program after a few months anyway, so you could wait for that.

Who does that?

Data shows that a majority of MMO players do not play.

Personally i don't pay for MMOs. There are more than enough F2P ones.

The F2P systems are a big reason why MMO quality has gone down, due to the companies having to focus on monatizing every little thing rather than making the content and immersion good.

Having said that, the thread is obviously not about F2P games, if you read the title.

Narius has NO DATA. I repeat NO DATA. He has fragments of it. Ask for his link, he will gladly show it to you. IT SHOWS NO DATA OTHER THEN BASIC STATS. If you have the money I am sure the company will gladly let you know how many of those players are individuals, how many play both P2P or F2P, or how many play just one exclusively, and I am sure if you pay they will even tell you how long the average player actually plays a F2P. DO NOT LET HIM FOOL YOU WITH STATS HE CANNOT COMPREHEND!!!!

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Well, the reason I don't play my old games is because they've been taken away from me.

SWG, Seed, CoH...seems I can't ever stay in a game unless it's closing on me.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Dartmed
    I am sure that this thread will conclude as a themepark vs sandbox debate .... 

I was thinking it was going to conclude as a "nobody who played mmos before WoW likes mmos anymore because WoW ruined them all." debate.  Actually that was more of a statement, but mark my words someone will say it or something similar to it.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by exwin
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Topic invalid. Argument voided.

There is nothing wrong with MMOs. This batch of MMOs simply does not interest you.

Oh for the love of Asuryan! If you Like RTSes, but don't Like Total War franchise(for example) would you jump up and Down cussing the very universe because it is not your flavour? Why in the nine blazes did you buy Vanilla instead of strawberry anyhow???

Logic is naught here...

Logic truly is naught here...

Why complain about anything that is bad when it's always a matter of perspective?!

Garbage is edible, it's just your choice to eat it, and I shouldn't tell you it's gross :P

Agree, why have forums and opinions at all? Just keep eating at McDonalds and buy what ever crap that comes out in a colorful box.

Why do you keep eating at McDonalds and then bitching about it.  Worse yet, you're eating at McDs and bitching you're not getting Tony Roma's for the same price and as fast.  Here's a pro-tip:  You can choose whatever you want to do.  No one is forcing you to eat at McDs.  Can we be done with idiotic food analogies now?

Persoally, gaming has never been better.  I have more sub-free game choices than I have time to play, more quality games at my disposal than I can find time to play, and am enjoying gaminig more than ever.

One more food analogy, then no more I swear!

So let's say that there used to be some really great eateries near where the McD's stands now.  Like a great sushi shop, or even a cool but wierd Vietnamese Pho place. But ever since McD's moved in with their 80 gazillion served sign, all the shops started slinging cheapass burgers and we can't get a decent tekkamaki roll anywhere!

The only way these food analogies make sense to me is if they all charge the same price (or fairly close to it).  It probably makes a little more sense today than it did a few years ago when the whole WoW = McDonalds thing first started but it was really off then.  If everyone is paying 14.99 for their food, then they would go to wherever has the best food.  But, generally the 5 star places charge more than McDonalds and thus the analogy breaks down.  We can claim its marketing, but marketing cannot get people to pay a sub.  It can get them to buy the box, but if they don't like it they won't pay anymore.  

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by exwin
    I think developers are missing a step in the process these days. In the past was something like: [*] Make great game [*] People play and love it [*] Profit It seems lately they are more interested in #3. Current model kinda looks like: Release unfinished game
    People play it and get bored in 2 weeks
    Free to play

I'm quite agree.
    Even if it finished with limited content and if people get bored in 2 or 4 months - result will be the same.

Free to play = pay for show off, pay for might = kill depth of the game where already was nothing much to do.

Nobody make like I feel it should work:

1. Make great quality game with small content, sell box, take money and develop.

2. Sub can be handy but can be annoying for many players. For example, worst I hate it when I miss to re-sub, I can't get in and see (not even play, just check) how my account goes.

3. To avoid sub problem, I would prefer buy more boxes and use some cash shop for: cosmetic items (nothing to have with game content); may be buy hard challenges for hardcore players as main game should be casual level or it can be easy/hard x-packs to give fun for each category of players.

I think this system will give less contradictions and more profit.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• krevrakrevra Member UncommonPosts: 50

So many silly assumptions in the quesiton.

1) "Suck"? You mean you don't like them. People don't spend months playing games they think are sucking.

2) "we" .. who are "we"

3) "buying them"? MOre and more MMOs are going F2P. A majority of MMO players don't "buy" anything .. they pay for free.

^this. I dont understand why people generallize so hard and think thar view is the view of the majority.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Because nobody wants to pay a sub anymore, because there are to many games we all want to try.

So developers have to take this in to account not giving them the resources to create better games.

Its a mix of to many games and  player game hopping. whos fault? no ones I guess. We do need to control our urges to play all mmo's hopefully bringing down the stampied of crap games.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Guess it sucks to be you then cause most of the current MMOs are awesome for me.

Yes, I don't even have to 'buy' much due to how many of them are F2P.

So I play MMOs that are fun without paying much of anything.

Go me!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by krevra

So many silly assumptions in the quesiton.

1) "Suck"? You mean you don't like them. People don't spend months playing games they think are sucking.

2) "we" .. who are "we"

3) "buying them"? MOre and more MMOs are going F2P. A majority of MMO players don't "buy" anything .. they pay for free.

^this. I dont understand why people generallize so hard and think thar view is the view of the majority.

And i don't understand how they will think people will spend hours playing stuff they don't think is fun.

Do they do that? I don't. Every single game i spent more than an hour on .. is fun to me. I understand they may not be fun to everyone .. but they definitely have to be for me .. otherwise why would i spend the time in the first place?

• krevrakrevra Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I agree 100 percent. I cant spend even 5 mins playing a game i dont like. As for the OP, if you dont like them state why you dont like them dont make it seem like the whole world is backing your claim. If you dont like mmos do 1 of 2 things dont play em and move on or stop playing game with a biased mindset that it needs to do 20 million things and be exactly like some other game you played a long time ago that was great. 
  • grotebozebeergrotebozebeer Member Posts: 5

The OP gets it, people claiming otherwise are either young(new to the genre)players or easily satisfied. 

The future of mmo's will be sandbox with open world pvp and city management/FPS Style combat(And no Tab Target, 1,2,3,4,2,3,1 button mashing), mark my word. Its only a matter of time. Time that is being slowed by new players to the genre who are not yet bored with games like WoW. But you will get bored of it. That also is just a matter of time, and then you will look back at us(us as in players who curse nowaday mmos) and think, damn they where right.

The reason that there are no better games then WoW(whom i played enough to judge) is because the ''Themepark mmo''

is perfected by blizzard, and can not, and wil not ever be better then it already is. Do you realy think that if there is a better formula, blizzard didnt already come up with it, with their 1,5k employees. 

Watch out for games like, Embers of Caerus, of wich the developers are gamers themself and understand what innovation is. 

their are few to non sandbox/open world pvp/city building games with FPS style combat out there, and those that are out have poor development. If Embers of Careus wil deliver the game with all the features they have in mind succesfuly, then it wil be a new era in the gaming history. And more companies will follow their formula, until its chewed out to the bone. 

If only blizzard made a game with features of Ember of Caerus, but ever sinds they merged with those idiots Activison, they have gone down hill. Real money Action House in D3? WTF? Not allowing you to distribute your own stats?!? 

Take a look at Path of Exile, also a company of gamers who made their dream game, and it turned out 10 times better and more innovating then D3. 

But hey, keep eating that crap, and call it good. 

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Same reason movies, music, and food all suck now. Shareholders. Until games are funded without them we are going to have to play what ever call of duty players want. 

Hurray for crowdfunding.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I can grab and play old video games (from all genres) that were great games.

If old MMORPGs were great people would still be playing them (some old MMORPGs are still played a lot).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
  • grotebozebeergrotebozebeer Member Posts: 5
    Yep, i still play old games on regular basis, Might and magic(not heroes) series, Wizardry, Diablo 1(to this day i prefer diablo 1 over 3) Baldurs gate, Ragnarok. Ultima online even. 
  • OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Same reason you created this topic even tho there are 10k+ of the same topic and at least 100 of them were still active.

You cant get enough of the mmos you dislike

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Please do not necro old threads.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.