Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend a game for me

JMK90JMK90 Member UncommonPosts: 3

I'm looking for a mmorpg to play.

Here are some games I played:

I enjoyed playing Tera for a short while, but it turned out to be too party-heavy for me. I enjoy playing solo and play party rarely. The reason why I enjoy playing solo is because I don't want to be burden for other players. I started out as a lancer in Tera and the fact that "lancer dies, party dies" concept of the game was overwhelming for me. I was literally traumatized when my whole party died because of me. I always soloed BAM ever since I started to play, and that for me, was the fun part.

I played Diablo 3 for quite a while then I stopped playing because I ran out of things to do in the game.

I played something called DFO because my friends played. The game was from South Korea and was very refreshing and enjoyable. However, lack of update killed the game.

I also played Atlantica Online. Not enough people in the game anymore.

Basically I like games that:

- are solo-friendly

- requires player skill

- has lot of players

- has extensive end-game contents (farming is never fun)

- has frequent updates

Thanks...:D

Comments

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Everyone should at least try GW2. It does many things well and above all is a lot of fun.
  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Yep, Guild Wars 2 was the first thing that sprang to my mind too. And The Secret World was second. Both are buy to play also.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Try Vindictus, combat is better than either TERA or GW2 and there is no up front cost as it is a completely free game. Pretty much everything can be soloed if you are skilled with your class. Lots of content in this game as well with many places to level and interesting story based quests.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Guild Wars 2. Vindictus is ok, too, but I think it's more of a co-op action game than a MMORPG.
  • gringemoregringemore Member Posts: 182
    RIFT has been my newest obsession mmo lol , so fun
  • JMK90JMK90 Member UncommonPosts: 3

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look into guild war 2 and vindictus. If there's any other game you want to recommend, please feel free.

• rainmournrainmourn Member UncommonPosts: 38

Neverwinter is what I'm currently enjoying a great deal. The initial washed-up-on-the-beach segment doesn't introduce the game at its best. Get to Protector's Enclave and take a look around.  One can reach the city in about fifteen minutes. Very lively city hub. (And there are multiple instances of it, at least on Beholder server.)

It has the classic mmo feel, but with a nimble combat system. Takes a little getting used to, but it grew on me after it became more familiar. With graphics maxed, it's a great looking game, as well.

Free to try, with the usual cash shop for those who want some luxuries or want to open those tempting lockboxes. I find myself wondering how much nicer it would have been if the game had been released when subscriptions were still in vogue.

I was just thinking Neverwinter is worth a look too....It might not have so much longevity but it out Vindictuses Vindidctus (imho).
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    The titles I'm currently playing are Neverwinter and Guild Wars 2. Love them both. I also sometimes jump into SWTOR for kicks.
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

The biggest problem of Vindictus is it's Nexon... who are the signature company for very bad cash shops.

Also, it's not really a true MMORPG, and the combat is (IMHO) definitely not better than neither GW2 nor TERA.

Vindictus is more of true MMORPG than GW2 is because of the large scale raiding. GW2 has no 24 man PvE raids or even 8 man PvE content. Vindictus also has open towns, persistent 100 man guilds, player driven economy, crafting, market place between players. How is this not a MMORPG?

As for combat TERA still has watered down trinity group design which means you can't do group content with out a healer or tank. GW2 is more stat based combat that over rides player skill and twitch reaction. Most of the group dungeons cannot be solo'ed in GW2 no matter how skilled you are. Vindictus allows skilled players to solo even the raids. GW2 doesn't even offer raiding. If you don't like raids or twitchy combat that is a matter of personal preference.

Objectively what is the point of paying $50 +$20 DLC for a game gives less content then Vindictus gives away for FREE? Vindictus has 200+ instance dungeons now and 30 raids. This is a hardcore game you can't blow through in a couple of days. It will take a solid month to hit level cap at least.

Originally posted by Novusod

Vindictus is more of true MMORPG than GW2 is because of the large scale raiding. GW2 has no 24 man PvE raids or even 8 man PvE content.

Raids aren't the defining attribute of a MMORPG. UO didn't have raids, AC1 either, yet both are the granddaddies of today's MMOs.

UO and AC1 are sandboxes where as GW2 and Vindictus are themeparks. You are comparing apples to oranges in an analogy that makes no sense. If GW2 offers neither open ended sandbox design elements and doesn't offer raids then what exactly is GW2 selling point? UO sold the idea that you could gank anyone, anywhere, for any reason, and take their stuff and had a complete player driven economy. What does GW2 offer: solo questing and optional group content with a side of instanced battleground style PvP. The game just feels like a featherweight compared to Vindictus and that is the point.

Vindictus also has open towns, persistent 100 man guilds, player driven economy, crafting, market place between players. How is this not a MMORPG?

Open towns, everything else instanced? It's like GW1, a CORPG, aka "Cooperative Online RPG", not a MMORPG.

Where is it written that a MMORPG can't be instanced? You know what really separates CORPGs from MMORPGs it is the player driven economy. Soulbinding in GW2 means there could never be a player driven economy. Look back to UO or AC1 did those games have soulbinding. Everything was tradeable even the best gear. Guess what game also has everything tradeable player driven economy. It starts with a "V."

GW2 is more stat based combat that over rides player skill and twitch reaction.

You definitely either haven't played GW2 or are just posting misinformation to try to support your views here.

I played GW2 during the BETA weekend events. The combat felt slow and clunky with the limitations placed on characters so they couldn't dodge every attack. This made soloing dungeons impossible and put a ceiling on how much player reactions and twitch skill could effect the outcome of battles.

Most of the group dungeons cannot be solo'ed in GW2 no matter how skilled you are.

And you don't need to do any dungeon in GW2 if you don't want to. It isn't a mandatory activity like in the WoW clones.

If you are skipping group content then you are just making a small game even smaller. In the positive sense what does GW2 really offer besides a bunch of solo quests.

Vindictus allows skilled players to solo even the raids. GW2 doesn't even offer raiding. If you don't like raids or twitchy combat that is a matter of personal preference.

Again, raids don't define a MMORPG. EQ/WoW clones have made people like you think it's the only way to make "end game", but it isn't.

Who said anything about "end game?" Vindictus has raids in the beginning, middle, and end of the story arc. Raiding is used to enhance the storyline where you defeat an epic boss. Skilled players can solo the raids so it offers some real challenge for players who want to go that route.

Objectively what is the point of paying $50 +$20 DLC for a game gives less content then Vindictus gives away for FREE? Vindictus has 200+ instance dungeons now and 30 raids. This is a hardcore game you can't blow through in a couple of days. It will take a solid month to hit level cap at least.

$20 DLC? Err, sorry? More misinformation. You don't need to pay a cent past the original box price to enjoy 100% of the GW2 content. Nice exagerations on the content, too, it's so ridiculous I won't even comment more about it.

GW2 costs $49.99 for the base game If you want the deluxe edition and all the extras it cost $69.99. Says so right on their website. Not misinformation. My sources are legit. You can't get those extras if you don't pay.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

Vindictus is more of true MMORPG than GW2 is because of the large scale raiding. GW2 has no 24 man PvE raids or even 8 man PvE content.

Raids aren't the defining attribute of a MMORPG. UO didn't have raids, AC1 either, yet both are the granddaddies of today's MMOs.

UO and AC1 are sandboxes where as GW2 and Vindictus are themeparks. You are comparing apples to oranges in an analogy that makes no sense. If GW2 offers neither open ended sandbox design elements and doesn't offer raids then what exactly is GW2 selling point? UO sold the idea that you could gank anyone, anywhere, for any reason, and take their stuff and had a complete player driven economy. What does GW2 offer: solo questing and optional group content with a side of instanced battleground style PvP. The game just feels like a featherweight compared to Vindictus and that is the point.

Vindictus also has open towns, persistent 100 man guilds, player driven economy, crafting, market place between players. How is this not a MMORPG?

Open towns, everything else instanced? It's like GW1, a CORPG, aka "Cooperative Online RPG", not a MMORPG.

Where is it written that a MMORPG can't be instanced? You know what really separates CORPGs from MMORPGs it is the player driven economy. Soulbinding in GW2 means there could never be a player driven economy. Look back to UO or AC1 did those games have soulbinding. Everything was tradeable even the best gear. Guess what game also has everything tradeable player driven economy. It starts with a "V."

GW2 is more stat based combat that over rides player skill and twitch reaction.

You definitely either haven't played GW2 or are just posting misinformation to try to support your views here.

I played GW2 during the BETA weekend events. The combat felt slow and clunky with the limitations placed on characters so they couldn't dodge every attack. This made soloing dungeons impossible and put a ceiling on how much player reactions and twitch skill could effect the outcome of battles.

Most of the group dungeons cannot be solo'ed in GW2 no matter how skilled you are.

And you don't need to do any dungeon in GW2 if you don't want to. It isn't a mandatory activity like in the WoW clones.

If you are skipping group content then you are just making a small game even smaller. In the positive sense what does GW2 really offer besides a bunch of solo quests.

Vindictus allows skilled players to solo even the raids. GW2 doesn't even offer raiding. If you don't like raids or twitchy combat that is a matter of personal preference.

Again, raids don't define a MMORPG. EQ/WoW clones have made people like you think it's the only way to make "end game", but it isn't.

Who said anything about "end game?" Vindictus has raids in the beginning, middle, and end of the story arc. Raiding is used to enhance the storyline where you defeat an epic boss. Skilled players can solo the raids so it offers some real challenge for players who want to go that route.

$20 DLC? Err, sorry? More misinformation. You don't need to pay a cent past the original box price to enjoy 100% of the GW2 content. Nice exagerations on the content, too, it's so ridiculous I won't even comment more about it.

GW2 costs $49.99 for the base game If you want the deluxe edition and all the extras it cost $69.99. Says so right on their website. Not misinformation. My sources are legit. You can't get those extras if you don't pay.

20 buck dlc you say, what of the fluff items do you count then? a 5 day golem banker or the one time use Chalice of Glory/Tome of Influence a mini pet.

I know its the elite skill thats no better then any other elite skill

Yea really worth 20 bucks, that you can earn ingame aswell trading gold to gems and buying it for 2000 gems i belive and that in this moment is 98g and 75s

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Rift probably has the most for you to do then GW2. Hell, EQ1 Vox server still has 30-100 people in the starting zone on average, with many many choices of people to group with all the way to 80 where guilds start to segregate people. Solo play is fun now with mercs. 

If you're looking for an MMORPG that requires skill you should probably check out another genre though.

• TolanaTolana Member UncommonPosts: 22

I would like to suggest that you give World of Tanks a try.  There is never a shortage of players. You can play for fun or work on increasing your skill level by keeping an eye on your stats.  Frequent updates and new additions.  A very, very active community and people creating mods to enhance the interface to your liking.  It's free to play, but you have the option of splashing cash if you want to - it's definitely not a case of "pay to win". Loads of fun and very addictive :)

North American servers and sign-up at www.worldoftanks.com

European servers and sign-up at www.worldoftanks.eu

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by JMK90

I enjoyed playing Tera for a short while, but it turned out to be too party-heavy for me. I enjoy playing solo and play party rarely. The reason why I enjoy playing solo is because I don't want to be burden for other players. I started out as a lancer in Tera and the fact that "lancer dies, party dies" concept of the game was overwhelming for me. I was literally traumatized when my whole party died because of me. I always soloed BAM ever since I started to play, and that for me, was the fun part.

I played Diablo 3 for quite a while then I stopped playing because I ran out of things to do in the game.

I played something called DFO because my friends played. The game was from South Korea and was very refreshing and enjoyable. However, lack of update killed the game.

- are solo-friendly

- requires player skill

- has lot of players

- has frequent updates

Final Fantasy XIV

Don't believe these people about GW2. It requires ZERO skill, and primarily the game is about zerging public encounters for easy no-thought exp and rewards. The combat system will bore you within about 2weeks at the most.

I've found FFXIV to get harder and require smarter players as the levels increase, but that's just my experience.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

- are solo-friendly

- requires player skill

- has lot of players

- has frequent updates

GW2 is the game for you,

- are solo friendly = Yes you don't have to do anything in a group if you don't want to and still get great gear. GW2 don't force you to do dungeons if you don't want to its opptional. All world bossen can be done solo and by this I mean that you can't do them alone but you can be alone with lots of other ppl and make your own misstakes without anyone yelling noob infact 99% of the time someone will ress you.

- requires player skill = Yes, you have to dodge and use your skills to survive if you just stand there and throw spells or hit with your sword you will not live long. 

- has lot of players = Yes, the game is filled with players and I don't see any end to it either. In my guild we are like 100 players and we always do stuff together, but if I want to I can just solo all the time nobody in the guild minds. The world is always full of players its like the good old wow days before the world became empty and everyone just stood still in a city waiting in que for a raid.

- has extensive end-game contents (farming is never fun) = Yes, and this is there strong point in my opinion. GW2 has new content patched in atleast once in a month usually more times, and these patches aren't just nerfs of char no it's new content and events, dungeons etc. Its like mini expansions every month and that means you never get bored like in other games.

- has frequent updates = Yes, look above :)

the price of the game is like 40 USD, I don't know where you live but that what it costs in Sweden. After you pay this sum you never have to spend anymore money on the game it's a one time cost. Yes they have a cash shop but there is nothing in there that you have to pay for to complete your gaming. I have soon 3 lvl 80s and I have never used the cash shop.

Originally posted by BearKnight

- are solo-friendly

- requires player skill

- has lot of players

- has frequent updates

Final Fantasy XIV

Don't believe these people about GW2. It requires ZERO skill, and primarily the game is about zerging public encounters for easy no-thought exp and rewards. The combat system will bore you within about 2weeks at the most.

I've found FFXIV to get harder and require smarter players as the levels increase, but that's just my experience.

Don't belive this guy, who wants to play a game you can't logon to? And is there a point to play another wow clone without pvp? If you want to play WOW then play WOW not a cheap ripoff with poor graphics and lots of little bubbles that npc tell the story in. GW2 my friend is the only way to travel, I have played final fantasy aswell and after final fantasy VII all there games pretty much suck (maybe not XI, didn't play so don't know).

Almost every other mmo on the market is better then final fantasy 73 or what number they have come to.

GW2 and if you don't like it then Secret world is good to, neverwinter (shitty cash shop), Rift (same as wow but better in every way), Eve if you have the time for it :), Planetside 2 if you like FPS mmos, Vangaurd, Conan, all of these are good in there own way and hell try WOW if you haven't, I played it and loved it for a couple of years but it's old now and dumbed down and Blizzard is so greedy, worst company of them all. Warhammer online if you love pvp otherwise it sucks but they have the best pvp of all the games.  

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

- are solo-friendly

- requires player skill

- has lot of players

- has frequent updates

Very solo friendly, very stable player base, frequent updates and end-game content is massive, crafting focused, advanced pet system, lots of minigames, very unique PvP, player housing and even maintaining your own farm! Maybe the skill part not that good, but you can't have everything, right?

Man, Hello Kitty Online is the game for you, no need to search any more.

You're welcome image

Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

- are solo-friendly

- requires player skill

- has lot of players

- has frequent updates

Very solo friendly, very stable player base, frequent updates and end-game content is massive, crafting focused, advanced pet system, lots of minigames, very unique PvP, player housing and even maintaining your own farm! Maybe the skill part not that good, but you can't have everything, right?

Man, Hello Kitty Online is the game for you, no need to search any more.

You're welcome image

lol, I have played it with my kids and they love Hello Kitty but they hate the game :) they rather play GW2 and WOW.

• SooZeeSooZee Member Posts: 1
    Planetside 2, fer sure =)

Final Fantasy XIV

Games aren't about 'skill' really, knowledge of the systems and the whole discovery process is part of the fun. I have to disagree about FFXIV, whilst it has several interesting systems to discover it dosent take so long to suss it out, but, the ultimately combat is really pretty lacklustre. Boss fights and dungeons are good fun but the combat just isn't really that satisfying to me. Once you have raised a couple of classes its pretty much grind. Playing a GW2 elementalist (for example) takes far more co-ordination, knowledge of interactions and a heap of other stuff there are masses of interactions and combinations.

Try FFXIV by all means but personally,  if I wanted to play a turn based game I'd go for Civ or similar.

Oh and once you have done all the quests in FFXIV (which dosen't take that long) it's largely about zerging fates and again (imho) they are not a patch on GW2's dynamic encounters.

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

well, it's solo friendly...how about Assassin's Creed 3? If you log into UPlay you can compare what you are doing against the other players currently online. Or play Sleeping Dogs or Deadpool in an internet cafe with other players doing the same thing?

Your first priority is that it's SOLO FRIENDLY? When purchasing a car is the radio or the tires on it priority for you as well?

How about when purchasing a home? Is the color of the exterior most important? 

I could go on and on...I guess I'm a dinosaur these days. 

I found two great graphically pleasing, solo friendly MMO's so far. Lord of the Rings Online and Age of Conan. Differently flavors depending on what you seek. 

Good luck. Personally, I wish these games would stop using the MMORPG monikors and really just start it's own genre. Comparing WoW or EvE to LoTRO is like apples and oranges to me.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

- are solo-friendly

- requires player skill

- has lot of players

- has frequent updates

Final Fantasy XIV

I would try FFXIV but they still don't even sell a digital copy.  

I can't make comparisons between GW2 and FF, but GW2 is far from what you describe. It may be in your opinion that it requires zero skill, but the game challenges most of us everyday mmorpg fans. /shrug

If FFXIV is the common quest hub game I'm not sure I want to play it anyway. Unless the PvP makes up for it! /sacrasm

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• a7folda7fold Member UncommonPosts: 59

I thought I would throw it out there because no one has mentioned it yet. 

Dragon's Prophet - The game's combat is similar to that of TERA, however, I think it's actually quite a bit better than TERA's. It's far more fast paced in my opinion. 

It is currently in Open Beta and is launching on September 18. Characters will not be wiped from Open beta though so you can start playing now if you wish.

It is a Free to Play game with a cash shop. There are those who complain that the cash shop is too expensive in the game, but I strongly disagree. I barely have bought anything, and there really is no need to buy anything. Buying items from the cash shop is more of a convenience than a necessity. 

The quests are your very typical kill X / Collect Y quests, but there is plenty to go around so you will never be short of levels or things to do. Also it has some pretty cool group content if you wish, but also the dungeons can be solo'd if you chose to do so. Basically, there is no healer class and everyone just uses potions. You have to use potions/dragons/action based rolls to defeat harder bosses which is awesome. 

The dragon concept of the game is very neat, you basically can train any dragon and use them for a variety of things. Collecting materials for crafting/Combat/Skill training. Also they can be used as a mount from the moment you get one. 

I recommend giving it a try, you have nothing to lose just playing through the first 10-20 levels. 

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

Guild Wars 2.

Combat is even better and more dynamic than Tera, and also more relying on player skill.

And the game has updates every two weeks... yeah, no kidding.

And there is no subscription fee after the initial box purchase.

Guild Wars 2 definately :)