Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bow Kiting

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Do Archers and Bards have to do much kiting in solo PvE?  I ask because I'm interested in the classes, but kinda suck at kiting...

Thank you!

Comments

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    I've leveled Archer to 15 (as it's required for BLM). I don't think it's required, as you can fire at point blank, but you'll certainly take less damage if you kite, assuming the enemy isn't a ranged attacker.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    FF14 bow kiting is easy mode.  You dont have to turn around like in other games.  You lose a small dps from autoshots not going off, but its very easy. 
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    So you can run directly away from the mob and still attack??
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Vigg
    So you can run directly away from the mob and still attack??

Well, you can run in a circle.  If you just run away the mob will leash - it runs back to spawn point and resets its hp.  Leash is fairly small too, compared to some other games.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Kiting in this game is extremely easy, we move so much faster than the mobs do.

Only thing that'll get you with kiting is mobs leashing and going back, leash range in this game is very small compared to other games.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Not really. I do it from habit but Archers dont even get a slowing attack (called heavy in game), I had to borrow one from Lancer and even that one sucks. We do get a really cool looking 'back jump' but thats about it and only gives you a few seconds.

Also, you can make your chocobo pet a tank IIRC so it wont even be useful by level 30 (havent got mine but its the lowest level ive seen one).
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

Only thing that'll get you with kiting is mobs leashing and going back, leash range in this game is very small compared to other games.

This is beyond annoying i must say.  It's not really required to kite but i enjoy doing it and the leash range severely limits the range you can gain on mobs.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

I don't kite with my archer/bard at all - only thing that makes me move is the

high powered red marked on the ground attack of my enemy.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I tend to run through the mob in the 40+ areas. Turn and shoot. The mobs' AIs are pretty basically programmed and if you have fought 1, then you can almost get the timing across the board.

Especially the ones that fire in a  cone. You know they are going to stop. You pretty much (unless you miss a click in rotation) know by the time you do A and B they are going to do their primary attack, so you move and do C.

It's kind of simplistic.

In a dungeon its a little more dynamic in SOME cases. At least DPS gets to go do things like turn off lights and fire the occasional cannon (since healers have to stay on the tank and the tank is just getting slapped around having fun).