Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Real Reason the MMO "Industry" is the way it is now.

124»

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I disagree with pretty much every single point you made.

I wasn't aware that we can disagree with facts now? And if so many people love the way MMOs are now, why is there such massive scale failure happening to nearly every MMO?

Good thing he didn't post a single fact.

And most are making money, making expansions, making profit.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by ray12k

As I said before wow had a massive player base to start with ( I even use to play warcraft). And its reasons for hand holding were more to do with helping its base to transition into a mmorpg. 

No other hand holding mmorpg has been able successful. lol except maple story as you pointed out lol.  

I doubt that was more massive than star wars, or even star trek at the time when WOW was launched.

I think WOW expand that player base by a huge amount.

Yes, the following was bigger then both in the sense that warcraft was a computer game and wow was played on the computer. Blizzard turned out a game that many felt was easy to adapt to. It was design to be a first mmorpg and it has expanded the mmorpg player base to a great success. 

If i am not wrong SWG was a big hit with fans until they started nerfing the gameplay. 

Star trek I have no clue about.

So whats your point anyways?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by BearKnight

So what happened? Where did everything go wrong?

Success is what happened

So after 99.99% of you leave, I'll get good games again?

Not worth the cost. I could just adapt and evolve, instead.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

I wasn't aware that we can disagree with facts now? And if so many people love the way MMOs are now, why is there such massive scale failure happening to nearly every MMO?

Facts..... http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5949883#5949883

developers  are feeling the strain as the industry is losing steam due to to much hand holding and simple game play.

developers  are feeling the strain as the industry is losing steam due to to much hand holding and simple game play.

Good thing what the OP stated and what that panel discussed were not the same.

Short summary of hte panel:

-Trying to get 50% of WoW is not a good business model.

-Trying new things.

-Innovation can be a cool game, innovation is hard to sell.

-Systems of certain games will start to merge within certain games.

No doom and gloom

Nothing about EA and Sony being small in 97 and 99.

Nothing about Indie being the source of innovatino

Nothing (despite what you said in your previous thread with badspock) about Rift, War, Swtor, Allods failing.

Nothing about indie games being the only source of quality or fun.

So all in all nothing about what the OP said at all.

And they didn't discuss any facts in that panel either, they talked about their thoughts and musings of where the industry is going.  Thats it.

You have a strange idea of facts.

-Trying new things.

No doom and gloom

Nothing (despite what you said in your previous thread with badspock) about Rift, War, Swtor, Allods failing.

And they didn't discuss any facts in that panel either, they talked about their thoughts and musings of where the industry is going.  Thats it.

facts are the industry is spread out with people jumping from free game to free game because the current models are not working as the panel stated.  Easy mode hand holding ect. is dead live with it or jump on farmville brah.

But yeah you dont want to hear the truth... head in the sand =)

-Trying new things.

No doom and gloom

facts are the industry is spread out with people jumping from free game to free game because the current models are not working as the panel stated.  Easy mode hand holding ect. is dead live with it or jump on farmville brah.

Actually what they stated was going after 50% of WoW's playerbase is not realistic.  The model of making a game for hundreds of millions of dollars and expecting to maintain millions of subcribers is not sustainable.  I agree with that wholeheartedly and have stated that for awhilenow.

They said nothing about easy games or challening games being unsustainable.

They said nothing about f2p or p2p or b2p being unsustainable.

Facts are, even with people jumping from game to game, the games are still making money hand over fist.  Easy mode games (as you call them) have content so challenging very few people have done. 

But yeah you don't want to hear the truth... head in the sand. =)

What your saying and what the panel said are two different things.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by BearKnight

This also pertains to the unfortunate reality that unless a major studio finally decides to take a risk we'll most likely only see future innovations from unknown smaller companies, or even simply Indie startups to save the MMORPG industry as a whole.

So, why is the MMORPG genre the way it is now? Well, part of the truth is in the very title of this thread. The genre of MMORPG's has become an "Industry" in and of itself.

Back in 1998 when I first logged into Ultima Online I was amazed at how many people were playing in the same game as me (I was ~11 at the time). The sheer fact that I could go out and meet people all across the world that I didn't know was an awe inspiring thought to me.

That's my 15year experience of MMORPG's talking anyways.....cheers :)!

-Bear

you answered you own question op.  and you don't even know it.  people take the power of the internet for granted nowadays because its become so accessable.  without that brand new feeling of playing with people from all over the world you have finally realized that you A.  don't like mmo's.  B.  don't like rpg's. or C.  don't like video games anymore because you've grown up a little bit. 

-Trying new things.

No doom and gloom

Actually what they stated was going after 50% of WoW's playerbase is not realistic.  The model of making a game for hundreds of millions of dollars and expecting to maintain millions of subcribers is not sustainable.  I agree with that wholeheartedly and have stated that for awhilenow.

Facts are, even with people jumping from game to game, the games are still making money hand over fist.  Easy mode games (as you call them) have content so challenging very few people have done. 

lol who said anything about p2p or ftp hell i dont even know what btp is mabye bang to play????

The panel said games need to be less hand holding walking someone through a set path and players need more freedom.

I think you have a lil midget in your head that argues with you. Because you have been off point since page 1. My whole point has been that hand holding ,arrow following,  follow the yellow brick road mmorpgs are a dying breed. its the past they are gone like hammer pants. Well lingering the back ground i would say. 

-Trying new things.

No doom and gloom

lol who said anything about p2p or ftp hell i dont even know what btp is mabye bang to play????

The panel said games need to be less hand holding walking someone through a set path and players need more freedom.

I think you have a lil midget in your head that argues with you. Because you have been off point since page 1. My whole point has been that hand holding ,arrow following,  follow the yellow brick road mmorpgs are a dying breed. its the past they are gone like hammer pants. Well lingering the back ground i would say. 

Right back at you.  

Totally agree on the freedom part.  Don't expect to see any less quests or any other recommendations in games about where you should go or what you should do.  Thats all they are.  I've never felt any need to obey them.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    When developers went mainstream and started catering to the casuals that is when mmos went downhill.  Years ago players  were happy with their niche mmos that were actually fun and challenging to play. 
    Oh there  was plenty whining on the threads back then too.  Devs made the game more casual and brought the changes because thats when the then players were whining about.
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

-Trying new things.

No doom and gloom

Right back at you.  

Totally agree on the freedom part.  Don't expect to see any less quests or any other recommendations in games about where you should go or what you should do.  Thats all they are.  I've never felt any need to obey them.

I'm sorry :( I just wanted to make the step pyramid taller.