Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did MMOs become about the money and numbers?

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Holophonist

It seems to me the majority of MMOs today are often disappointing.

It's just you, deal with it.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by HolophonistIt's an indication.

It isn't. It would only apply if there were complex MMOs made for lower costs than mainstream MMOs.

Which isn't a case.

Only "AAA" complex game on the market is EVE, and the costs to get it where it currently is, are on par or even higher when compared to equal "AAA" title, ie. such as SWTOR.

What you are missing in your equatation is a scale. Complex or PVP oriented games can be made smaller, not cheaper tho.

This doesn't make sense, if I'm understanding you correctly. You seem to be saying that we should compare AAA & complex games to other AAA games? Why? I'm comparing AAA aesthetics with complex sysyems. So I should be comparing the costs of games that don't have AAA aesthetics but DO have complex systems against games that DO have AAA aesthetics but not complex systems.

I thought it was kind of a consensus that most MMOs nowadays are typically pretty disappointing. You apparently don't agree. I'm sure you're being totally objective though.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I thought it was kind of a consensus that most MMOs nowadays are typically pretty disappointing. You apparently don't agree. I'm sure you're being totally objective though.

I think the majority today are fairly satisified with games today and it is just forums like this that say the opposite. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Consensus? What consensus? A few people complaining here?

I'm a staunch capitalist and part of free market capitalism is people voting with their wallets and voicing their opinion. Game companies are allowed to do whatever they want, and we're allowed to point out when we think they're being greedy.

Yes .. and we are also allowed to point out that greed is good .. and that is what makes capitalism works.

Consumers pay for fun. Devs make what is fun to get a piece of their money. That is how a market should work.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

There is clearly a consensus. Just ask around. Nobody is actually playing MMO's anymore. Heck, they are not even playing online games anymore. It is clear that people are only actually playing offline, single player games.....

Originally posted by Superman0X

There is clearly a consensus. Just ask around. Nobody is actually playing MMO's anymore. Heck, they are not even playing online games anymore. It is clear that people are only actually playing offline, single player games.....

heheh .. aren't we sarcastic today?

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I think the majority today are fairly satisified with games today and it is just forums like this that say the opposite. 

Well it obviously may not be as accurate as possible (vocal minority and all that) but what else do we have to go on?
  • shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

alot of companies are trying to make great mmorpgs...just us consumers have been there done that like 100s of times.  i really dont see how mmorpgs can evolve with the current set up. if its open world its gonna be a bit static...if its instanced then it can be something unique...but alot of people want open world without static and a completely new type of battle engine. 

I dont even play action games because i find them boring (devil may cry type of action). I can play platform games forever.....u cant make everyone happy. 

At least GW2 is trying there best to provide a solid experience and not base it all on just money...tons of content in that game

Well it obviously may not be as accurate as possible (vocal minority and all that) but what else do we have to go on?

Market data.

If tens of millions are playing, and the market is making billions .. what can we conclude? It is not like MMORPGs are the only entertainment out there.

If people are spending time in them, as opposed to movies and other types of games, they must like it to some extent.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

Market data.

If tens of millions are playing, and the market is making billions .. what can we conclude? It is not like MMORPGs are the only entertainment out there.

If people are spending time in them, as opposed to movies and other types of games, they must like it to some extent.

Ahem. We have been here before, just because people buy something in baulk does not mean it has quality. I do not think we are a vocal minority although that's how we are painted. Gaming journalists and developers have started to question the current situation, Bill Murphy has a couple of times on this site. Their views have not been as pointed or 'vocal' as those who express our concerns by posting here. But concern about the direction gaming is heading in is mainstream, the fact that those with the most to loose from being critical are raising issues should tell you something.

Originally posted by Scot

Market data.

Ahem. We have been here before, just because people buy something in baulk does not mean it has quality. I do not think we are a vocal minority although that's how we are painted. Gaming journalists and developers have started to question the current situation, Bill Murphy has a couple of times on this site. Their views have not been as pointed or 'vocal' as those who express our concerns by posting here. But concern about the direction gaming is heading in is mainstream, the fact that those with the most to loose from being critical are raising issues should tell you something.

I've tried telling him this exact thing before. Eventually he'll just ignore you. In fact, I have him on my block list because of how pointless it is to argue with him about anything.

Quality is subjective.

Secondly, just because people buy something in bulk does not mean it has no quality either. You can go read reviews, and get a sense of what critics think.

And if you don't think you are a vocal minority, vote with your dollars in the market place. If the market does not respond ... well ... you are a vocal minority.

There are always people bitching about anything under the sun. Movies, tv, novels ..... so what if you have some concerns. No one is obliged to address your concerns. The market will respond if there is enough demand.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Market data.

Ahem. We have been here before, just because people buy something in baulk does not mean it has quality.

No one is arguing that a Big Mac is the same as a good steak. Stop with the strawmen and stay on topic. The majority today are fairly satisfied with games today, which is evident by the millions of people that are playing and paying for them.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

No one is arguing that a Big Mac is the same as a good steak. Stop with the strawmen and stay on topic. The majority today are fairly satisfied with games today, which is evident by the millions of people that are playing and paying for them.

Yeah. Gaming is pretty good. There are tons of good Sp games to play (Splinter Cell is the latest fun (for me) one), and even some fun MMORPGs.

It is hard to choose between that, and the latest Tom Clancy novels (believe it or not, the latest two are actually good, a revival from his slum, mainly because he took on a writing partner ... not as good as his early work, but still fun).

Originally posted by Edwardslin
    Those game companies just need money. That's the point of this problem. I hate this kind of game developer, who just design game with the popurse that how to earn more money. For example, they have designed a gem to enchance the prower of the weapon. But the designer spent lots of time to calculate how many failed rate will compel players to buy gems from Item Mall (F2P game). 

Would you like to try communism instead? In a capitalistic society, money is one of the key motivators to get things going, like it or not.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Edwardslin Those game companies just need money. That's the point of this problem. I hate this kind of game developer, who just design game with the popurse that how to earn more money. For example, they have designed a gem to enchance the prower of the weapon. But the designer spent lots of time to calculate how many failed rate will compel players to buy gems from Item Mall (F2P game). 
    Would you like to try communism instead? In a capitalistic society, money is one of the key motivators to get things going, like it or not.

Even in Russia and China video games operate pretty much like a free market. People spend their extra money on the games they want, and nobody tells the developers what kind of games to make or who to sell them to. If China and Russia can't do it, what hope does the rest of the world have?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

We have been here before, just because people buy something in baulk does not mean it has quality.

You mistake quality for preference.

Market data.

Ahem. We have been here before, just because people buy something in baulk does not mean it has quality.

So you do realize that you're claiming that anybody who pays for something isn't dissatisfied or disappointed with it, yes? This doesn't take into account marketing or the human nature that developers exploit using carrot-on-a-stick gameplay. You just simply cannot make the connection between quality/satisfaction/whatever and total subs, so you all should really just stop doing it.

I am glad that you seem to be recognizing the difference in game types is akin to comparing a Big Mac with steak.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Market data.

Oh you mean the market data showing most big budget AAA MMORPGs collapsing within 3 months of launching? Firing devs, merging servers, rushing out expansions, going free to play? Great sign of success in the booming MMO industry? What's that, most companies have pulled out of it? Oh right, it's because we have had maybe one solidly successful big budget MMO in 7 years, GW2. SWTOR, AoC, WAR, Aion, FF, Rift, STO, DCUO, all collapsed, shrank in size, merged servers, and stopped growing almost right away.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Market data.

Oh you mean the market data showing most big budget AAA MMORPGs collapsing within 3 months of launching? Firing devs, merging servers, rushing out expansions, going free to play? Great sign of success in the booming MMO industry? What's that, most companies have pulled out of it? Oh right, it's because we have had maybe one solidly successful big budget MMO in 7 years, GW2. SWTOR, AoC, WAR, Aion, FF, Rift, STO, DCUO, all collapsed, shrank in size, merged servers, and stopped growing almost right away.

Anybody who thinks that a lot of players = satisfied players or a good product doesn't understand economics AT ALL. Making products that are designed for a larger audience means you're going to have more people consuming your product than a well made, niche product will. It's like saying people were more satisfied with The Dark Knight Rises than they were with Upstream Color simply because more people went to go see The Dark Knight Rises.

We really are just straight up dealing with children and it's becoming increasingly obvious how much of a waste of time it is.

• dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

why did MMOs become about the money and numbers? What happened to the love that went into them? 

Wow, surprised this question has gotten so many responses. 

Wake up - money drives everything in this world. Even marriages or "love" is filtered to the context of money. Want to argue my point, become a jobless, homeless person and let me know in a year if you're dating someone or married. 

Money makes the world go round. Want to change that - start a revolution.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Market data.

So you do realize that you're claiming that anybody who pays for something isn't dissatisfied or disappointed with it, yes? This doesn't take into account marketing or the human nature that developers exploit using carrot-on-a-stick gameplay. You just simply cannot make the connection between quality/satisfaction/whatever and total subs, so you all should really just stop doing it.

I am glad that you seem to be recognizing the difference in game types is akin to comparing a Big Mac with steak.

I did not say "anybody who pays for something isn't dissatisfied or disappointed with it." Enough with the hyperbole, strawmen and other antics instead of addressing the topics and questions presented.

If millions of people are playing and paying for a particular type of entertainment, AND the number that do so - along with the amount that gets spent - goes up every year, then it is logical to conclude that the majority today are fairly satisfied with the entertainment service provided. If the majority weren't fairly satisfied, the number of people playing MMOs, as well as the money being spent on MMOs, would decline each year.    

Now, it's entirely possible that the majority of MMO gamers are so completely broken that they are paying monthly for entertainment that isn't entertaining to them, but I don't think that's probable. Do you?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by dwarfus
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

why did MMOs become about the money and numbers? What happened to the love that went into them? 

Wow, surprised this question has gotten so many responses. 

Wake up - money drives everything in this world. Even marriages or "love" is filtered to the context of money. Want to argue my point, become a jobless, homeless person and let me know in a year if you're dating someone or married. 

Money makes the world go round. Want to change that - start a revolution.

do you believe everybody who creates anything does so for the love of money and only for the love of money?

This discussion has been closed.