Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMO I've played in years...no..seriously!

13»

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by maji
    Originally posted by echolynfan

You don't have to have 10 alts - you can create one character if you want and just skill up anything and everything! Just switch weapons and you switch combat/crafting profs in a flash...including gear for each.

I like alts...

You can still have alts. It just isn't required since you can switch between all jobs on a single character.

• TechnohicTechnohic Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by zaylin
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

I played most of the betas for this one. Was let down with 1.0, BUT as each beta progressed I became  more and more excited for launch. I have been frustrated by the login issues, but it is a rock solid game. I even upgraded my account to collector. I have always loved FF games and look forward to this one.

One thing (major for me) that does bother me is that they did not opt to voice act more of the cut scenes. Sometimes a cut scene is half done.... appears to me that they dropped the ball or focused efforts elsewhere due to time restraints. It would have been better for me to have NO voice acting than the hodge-podge that is in the game right now. The story I absolutely love!

Honestly I played SWTOR and after awhile the voice acting got repetitive and redundant. I just got to the point in the FFxiv story where you ....ok no spoilers, but im about level 20 atm , and I am actually  enjoying the mix of Voice over and Reading dialogue. Plus I read a study that reading more often keeps Alzheimer's away >.0 {grins with some sarcazim}

The voice overs did get old after a while in SWTOR.  I turned on subtitles and read, then spacebarred when I was done reading, usually before they were done talking.  And thats if I hadn't done the quest already on my multiple alts.  If I had, it was just spacebar until I found myself jumping when the conversation ended.  

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

You don't have to have 10 alts - you can create one character if you want and just skill up anything and everything! Just switch weapons and you switch combat/crafting profs in a flash...including gear for each.

I like alts...

I like them too...just all on one character :)

The way the game is laid out having the ability to switch jobs/profs is a must. If I'm out mining in a certain place and I realize that I also needed to get some stuff for my Botanist - I don't have to log out...log in with my Botanist and then travel to that spot. Also - if I wish to switch to combat mode while I'm out gathering it just takes a second.

It's one of things that drove me crazy about SWG and you could only have 2 characters per account - which meant you also had to pay for additional accounts if you wanted to add or try a profession. FF AAB got it right and for once a company listened to what the majority of players want. 

Now...if I could just log in...grrrrrr lol

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Braindome
    Originally posted by laserit

+1

Great game, shows what a bunch of dork's the version 1 developers were. ARR makes me very glad I purchased version 1

Seems that you 1.0 players got to keep your Goobbue mounts as someone was dry humping my head with one the other day. Lucky sob's....I WANT A GOOBBUE, nothing humps head like a Goobbue. image

Were they part of the CE or pre-order? (1.0 of course)

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Holy Crap it's Benth... haven't seen you in FOREVER.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

I like alts...

You can still have alts. It just isn't required since you can switch between all jobs on a single character.

I have a main and 2 alts, wanted to experience each starting area anew. It is hard to choose which one i like best, in this case i would have to answer all 3, they are excellent and each has a feel all it's own.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

No hyperbole here - this is a VERY polished game with possibly the best crafting system since SWG (it's still early yet but it's overwhelming how much you can do) Problems at launch will fade away as people get into the game - new servers are being added and upgraded as I type this.

You don't have to have 10 alts - you can create one character if you want and just skill up anything and everything! Just switch weapons and you switch combat/crafting profs in a flash...including gear for each. (I have wanted this is a AAA MMO since I've been playing). I did play Darkfall Online which had that kind of setup but the grind was terrible.

Joking right? :-)

Game engine rocks and is smooth and the environment is one of the most beautiful I've seen - weather...lighting you name it. The detail is spectacular across the board - from avatars to animals to landscape to buildings...etc.

Here however I agree fully with you. No matter how many players in same location lag is very minimal or none at all. We have real night/day feeling, weather conditions, .... Best part of game for sure. Imo of course.

One big surprise to me (I'm new to FF) is the story...I find myself really getting into the story. Some cut scenes even have vocals and the voice acting is very well done. Some of the stuff is cutesy but not overdone.

To me ... one of the worst. Silly bubble sistem instead being presented with whole text, one must click and click ... and click ... just to get over boring text (in garbage english normal people do not understand, so i do not even bother to read many times that garbage). And what is also bad idea ... impossible to cancel in middle of dialog to start over ... must again click and click and click ... to get to bottom. Boring as hell and kills any wish to read. As i can see others they do nearly same as me .. just skip all to end.

About voices ... after played swtor any other is just bad, plainly bad. Here all npc's are obviously mute. It feels terible. I'm missing at least some "Hi, friend". But no, just mute.

Now...it's still early on but after playing so many MMO's - and I swore up and down after Star Wars The Old Republic that I was NOT going to buy another game at launch - but I'm glad I did) I can safely give this one a BIG thumbs up!

Swtor is my no1, followed by wow. Then ... void for long time.

Originally posted by daltanious

No hyperbole here - this is a VERY polished game with possibly the best crafting system since SWG (it's still early yet but it's overwhelming how much you can do) Problems at launch will fade away as people get into the game - new servers are being added and upgraded as I type this.

You don't have to have 10 alts - you can create one character if you want and just skill up anything and everything! Just switch weapons and you switch combat/crafting profs in a flash...including gear for each. (I have wanted this is a AAA MMO since I've been playing). I did play Darkfall Online which had that kind of setup but the grind was terrible.

Game engine rocks and is smooth and the environment is one of the most beautiful I've seen - weather...lighting you name it. The detail is spectacular across the board - from avatars to animals to landscape to buildings...etc.

Here however I agree fully with you. No matter how many players in same location lag is very minimal or none at all. We have real night/day feeling, weather conditions, .... Best part of game for sure. Imo of course.

One big surprise to me (I'm new to FF) is the story...I find myself really getting into the story. Some cut scenes even have vocals and the voice acting is very well done. Some of the stuff is cutesy but not overdone.

To me ... one of the worst. Silly bubble sistem instead being presented with whole text, one must click and click ... and click ... just to get over boring text (in garbage english normal people do not understand, so i do not even bother to read many times that garbage). And what is also bad idea ... impossible to cancel in middle of dialog to start over ... must again click and click and click ... to get to bottom. Boring as hell and kills any wish to read. As i can see others they do nearly same as me .. just skip all to end.

About voices ... after played swtor any other is just bad, plainly bad. Here all npc's are obviously mute. It feels terible. I'm missing at least some "Hi, friend". But no, just mute.

Now...it's still early on but after playing so many MMO's - and I swore up and down after Star Wars The Old Republic that I was NOT going to buy another game at launch - but I'm glad I did) I can safely give this one a BIG thumbs up!

I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan (no I'm not fat - just a "big fan" hehe) I  really wanted to like SWTOR...I really did. I was in beta...bought 2 Deluxe Editions (one for my wife) but the lifeless terrain...poor server performance issues, combat imbalance and lack of any meaningful crafting made it impossible. The cut scenes were well done but the rest of the game was a "void" in my opinion. 

FF AAB has renewed that "can't wait to wake up and play" feeling...something I haven't had since SWG - my void has lasted way too long. I mean...I'm literally overwhelmed at what to do 1st - the crafting alone will take a LONG time to master. And - the next patch will feature personal estates and instanced neighborhoods - something a lot of people are really looking forward to.

For anyone interested in playing - don't rush to 50 and miss out on the excellent class story...despite not being voiced for every scene - the story is engaging and makes you feel more like a part of the wonderful world they've created.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan (no I'm not fat - just a "big fan" hehe) I  really wanted to like SWTOR...I really did. I was in beta...bought 2 Deluxe Editions (one for my wife) but the lifeless terrain...poor server performance issues, combat imbalance and lack of any meaningful crafting made it impossible. The cut scenes were well done but the rest of the game was a "void" in my opinion. 

FF AAB has renewed that "can't wait to wake up and play" feeling...something I haven't had since SWG - my void has lasted way too long. I mean...I'm literally overwhelmed at what to do 1st - the crafting alone will take a LONG time to master. And - the next patch will feature personal estates and instanced neighborhoods - something a lot of people are really looking forward to.

For anyone interested in playing - don't rush to 50 and miss out on the excellent class story...despite not being voiced for every scene - the story is engaging and makes you feel more like a part of the wonderful world they've created.

THIS!

Its been, well since FF11( ok SWtor was good too), that a story has kept me intrested enough that im not spamming the ESC button, or dialogue. yes you can get to 50 real quick. but again if you mix it up with crafting and other activites its just more fulfilling..well at least for me :) everyones got different play style :)

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Having a lot of fun in the game as well.  It has an appealing quality.  The quality of immersion in this game is the best that I've experienced since SWG.  Yes, it does feature a slower pace than many of the newer MMORPG releases, but in my book that is a good thing.  It has a relaxed pace about it.  It also has depth.  Perhaps too much of it as at the moment I am feeling a bit overwhelmed as to what I should work on, on a daily basis.  If there is one thing I would suggest to players just beginning, do not bite off more than you can chew because it can get overwhelming.  Particularly if one picks up too many crafting professions at the same time.  I'm not one to stick with a game for very long, but this one has the potential to hold my interest.  The fact that my girlfriend is loving it is a plus.  Overall, it's been a very enjoyable ride so far.

I'm altholic so never rush to end game. :-) Leveled so far with great joy as I last checked 13 classes out of 16 to max and for sure all unique class stories. Never enjoyed so much combat in any game, environment (ok, they could add day/night cycle and weather conditions), ... I find comparable only wow here.

I'm altholic so never rush to end game. :-) Leveled so far with great joy as I last checked 13 classes out of 16 to max and for sure all unique class stories. Never enjoyed so much combat in any game, environment (ok, they could add day/night cycle and weather conditions), ... I find comparable only wow here.

Wait...are you referring to SWTOR or FF ARR because FF ARR has some of the best weather conditions of any game I've played (the thunderstorms in South Shroud almost seem real) and there's night and day in all the regions.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

You could've just simplified that entire text into "I don't like reading" and save us all time. The writing in the game is notably better than average. I admit that the lack of voice-over for some of the dialogue is off-putting, but just because you're too lazy to read doesn't mean the writing is garbage.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I played in a couple of the betas and really wanted to like the game, but a couple of things have steered me away from it.  First of all, the story line is pretty weak.  This in my own personal opinion, of course, but I expected better from a Final Fantasy game.  I'm sure it gets better the further into the game you go, but it was pretty weak through the first 20 or so levels IMO.  

Second, the cut scenes without actual voice-overs were really off-putting.  Actually, they were downright creepy.  Not sure what they were thinking when they decided to make them that way, but it was a bad decision.  If you aren't going to add at least some voiceovers to your cut scenes, then maybe it's best to not have so many of those cut scenes in the game.  And the intro to the game...what the hell were they thinking?  A 15 minute carriage ride conversation with no sound before I could even get into the game?  C'mon...

I probably could have looked past the first two things if not for the weak combat, small, claustrophobic zones, and poor map design.  All of these things added together were a big turn-off to me.  Which is too bad, too, because the crafting system and multi-class system are terrific and should be duplicated in more games.   The game just had too many other faults IMO to consider purchasing. 

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

I'm having tons of fun as well. I'm a 34 BLM/THM, 15 Archer, 7 CNJ, 14 Fisher, 15 Botanist, and 7 Carpenter. 82 hours played. I've been doing a little bit of everything, and taking my time and enjoying the journey. 

I just downed story-mode Titan, and man, does that guy have an awesome theme or what!? That was a seriously fun fight (as was Aiatar in Brayflox's Longstop).

It has been one of two MMO's to have pulled me straight in in the last decade (the other being Rift, which seems to be a love it or hate thing with people). With housing, PvP, Chocobo breeding, Chocobo racing, etc. etc. etc. coming in the near-ish future, it's only likely to pull me in even further.

We'll see how it goes 3 months down the line.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Rift was a better launch and a better game. Also, Rift is open world unlike the instanced mania that is FFXIV. FFXIV is a solid game, but not the best MMO launch "in years". That one goes to Rift.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

So glad to see that so many have found a game that they truly enjoy :)

Just remember to stay CONSTRUCTIVE with your criticism on the forums, be open-minded to the game's direction, try not to get bogged down on any flaws, and HAVE FUN.

Play on :)

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Wait...are you referring to SWTOR or FF ARR because FF ARR has some of the best weather conditions of any game I've played (the thunderstorms in South Shroud almost seem real) and there's night and day in all the regions.

No, you got me wrong, I was COMPLAINING about that matter in Swtor. Weather, day/night, ... are weak point of swtor and best ever in FF.