Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I finally tried GW2

2»

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Find it funny a person with so few points isn't considered blatent advertisement for a game like it is with others. Hypocrisy I guess for the fanbois but meh, whatever. Did at least state about it in the post. 

Still, yeah, theres many games out there that invoke different things for people. GW2 isn't a perfect game, its relatively weak in ways but it doesn't mean its terrible. An average game, but with ideas that do resonate with people which its flaws can easily be hidden away for them.

I found out 2 hours in the game itself just was NOT my cup of tea and i couldn't over-look its rather lackluster combat system and 'meh' gameplay. Doesn't mean though that the same reaction will come upon everyone. I oddly enjoy Deadly towers (NES) despite it being a bad game (which mind you, GW2 isn't THAT bad) even though I know full well I shouldn't of liked it. We all do have our own impressions.

Still as far as things to do, GW2 is... rather lacking in terms of varied content but to give it some credit it IS new. For those who over-look the fact other games provide the same if not much more (aka realizing you CAN do things despite not being the level for it, much like GW2 does just promoting you doing it more so) you will probably find it lacking, though its regular updates do give little pieces that add into a puzzle helping to fuel it having more to do and keep some interest. 

In Short: Low posts is a bit iffy and funny not many point it out; the game itself is 'meh' at best though theres no reason you can't enjoy it; and while not stunning in its content in the least bit, its regular small updates do help keep it a bit fresher with more things to do for those casually jumping on to play.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Its a beautifully crafted game.

Whether one enjoys it or not you have to grudgingly admit that some of the stuff it does/has is second to none. I am looking forward to going back and playing some more with my son in the pretty near future, small group play is really very good fun. The looking for group tool should help us do odd bits of content we missed too.  

It really has many, many strong points though the raid grinders who need a +234 to +238 carrot on a stick to open up the next grind for the +238 to +242 carrot will, of course, be disappointed. Again if you prefer <tab>1,1,1, 2 ,1,1,3 combat you might find GW2 a bit 'arcady'. 

I'd still say to anyone give it ago and just enjoy walking round the world. They really have attempted to address some of the mmo issues that have been around since god was a boy. Obviously some more successfully than others. At least they have had a go, for example one particularly successful technology is there dynamic server architecture which allows you to play on overflow servers until a space on your home server becomes available (that seems particularly relevant with a current high profile fiasco).

tldr; version. Brilliantly put together game and even if you decide it's style is not for you it is unlikely that you wont get your moneys worth and then some.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by rertez
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama
    Its a good single player game that lets you play along side other people.   I don't consider this game to be an MMO.

It's a Massively Multiplayer Online Game so it's an MMO.

There are tons of content in it that can't be done alone like Guild Missions, all 33 dungeons, FotM, Orr temples, Group Events, WvW, sPvP and so on. The best thing about GW2 is that you always have plenty of people to join to while other leading MMOs mostly suffer from declining active player base.

As I said in my previous post, it really shines in small group play. Having said that the whole Dynamic Event thing that was introduced in WAR can get a bit Zergy. At least with GW2 they are more varied (imho) than there piers, and the rewards are not so over the top (like for example *cough* fates) that you are encouraged to grind them to progress. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Maurgrim

I'm not an endgame kinda guy, never really liked the concept of max level is were the real game start, most dumb thing ever created, maby thats why I enjoy this game so much, I can play and have fun, no rush, no need of X or Y item just play as intended.

That's the thing about GW2, no need to get to the endgame to actually start playing the game, you basically start right away- especially if you're into pvp, you're at almost the same level as everyone else when it comes to pvp and there's plenty to do in pve though that's not GW2's strong point (nor was GW1's).

The problem with SWTOR is the treadmill method of leveling and pvp sucks until you hit the last bracket... and even then in the last bracket, it still sucks. And apparently SWTOR's endgame is doing dailies on Belsavis and Coruscant since Illum was done away with (good!).

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Maurgrim
    I rarely listen to "those" people who says you have to have this build or you have to do this or do that, I play GW2 the way I enjoy it and I also tried to turn of everything from the map so I have to find the hearts,POIs and Vista by exploring, that was really fun you see the game in a whole different perspective that way, hard as hell but I do enjoy exploring the gameworld and I'm in no rush to hit lvl 80.

Dude, you found exactly the right game.  Enjoy.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260
    GW2 is a beautiful game and leveling and exploration are quite fun. But, I find it very hard to care about progression or winning (PvP) like other titles. Maybe that in itself is a compliment, but I do miss the rabid fanaticism. You know what I mean. Some games leave you thinking and obsessing and plotting while you're away - how am I going to do X? What strategy will work against Y? I can't wait to get to Z! I hardly think about GW2 unless I have a vacant hour, then may piddle around and actually go to bed at a civilized hour...
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by garbonzo
    GW2 is a beautiful game and leveling and exploration are quite fun. But, I find it very hard to care about progression or winning (PvP) like other titles. Maybe that in itself is a compliment, but I do miss the rabid fanaticism. You know what I mean. Some games leave you thinking and obsessing and plotting while you're away - how am I going to do X? What strategy will work against Y? I can't wait to get to Z! I hardly think about GW2 unless I have a vacant hour, then may piddle around and actually go to bed at a civilized hour...

I imagine you got yourself a Liadri then?

Or that you have beaten the SAB world 2?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Glad you are enjoying it!

It really is a great game all around. 

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by garbonzo

I imagine you got yourself a Liadri then?

Or that you have beaten the SAB world 2?

It's not that there is no form of progression. I just don't care enough to work through it. Of course it's all personal taste and opinion. I still like the game, but it's down the list for me. I'm not being sarcastic at all when I say that I actually got way into hunting ingredients to advance cooking for a little while. Rawr!

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Head over to Queensdale.

Join the Champ Zerg and go round and round killing Boar, Troll, Bandit, Oak, Maybe SB, Spider, maybe Wasp. then take 1 minute sell your junk and do it again. And again. And again.

This will yield the BEST PVE leveling rewards. Thanks to the "scaling" feature, you can do it till you are 80.

Don't look for this action to be as good in the other zones though, until maybe Orr.

have fun.

Good little powerleveler... :) hehe i been playing this game the roleplaying way and still i have fun....too bad for you it got boring soo fast.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Yes it's good game if u wanna just chill out, explore do some quests. But I like pvp aswell, and pvp is boring, no skill required repetetive mess with terrible abilities and combat.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Tyrantas
    Yes it's good game if u wanna just chill out, explore do some quests. But I like pvp aswell, and pvp is boring, no skill required repetetive mess with terrible abilities and combat.

Ok, I've been hearing this since January. So I stayed away from PvP.

Then I actually tried it. It's not NEARLY as bad as peeps make it out to be. and some maps are genuinely fun. I can see where some "OP" builds shine, but these Flavor of the Month builds are usually dealt with within 2 weeks. i.e. Spirit Ranger.

For instance, I run a stun-lock warrior. People think I'm OP, but I get ganked quickly by excessive condition damage.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    I was very impressed with the game when it first came out, not a huge fan of end game myself so once I'd gone through the majority of the content I got bored, but that was a 150 hrs later so even though I'm not really into the game now I certainly got my money's worth.
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

If you are looking for a good pve game....GW2 is a good candidate. The crafting is painful and the WvW is more like a zerg basketball game than true warfare.

So for me....a bitter disappointment.

OP...I'm glad you are having fun.

I enjoyed leveling up four classes in GW2, but since I am not an end game person have moved on (until expac's come out). I would recommend roaming around and exploring AND doing the zergs for xp. Best of both worlds. Don't really worry about leveling up it will come naturally doing the events.

• verenovverenov Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

If you are looking for a good pve game....GW2 is a good candidate. The crafting is painful and the WvW is more like a zerg basketball game than true warfare.

So for me....a bitter disappointment.

OP...I'm glad you are having fun.

Not sure how long it's been since you've WvWvW, but there have been some major changes since launch. I believe these changes have been for the better. If you get a chance, reinstall and check it out. You may be pleasantly surprised. :)

"I am handicapped...I'm psychotic."

OP, welcome to the community. I also really enjoy the game. As a veteran player my advice to you is to do EVERYTHING.  Heart quests/missions, exploring (you'll find some areas that are *hidden* and have no point of interest), read all dialogue, speak to scouts (guys with looking-glasses above their heads), stop to listen to NPC conversations (some are absolutely hilarious), gather (don't pass any nodes up..good xp there as well), do dynamic events (DE) in the area, etc..  

Also, I try to get in my dailies as well.  I try to do all of 'em, even the pvp ones. I'm not a huge fan of spvp, but I do it everyday just to complete the daily.  It limits my exposure, keeping my blood pressure down due to the limiting, and I gain achievement points while I do this.  The achievement points then lead to cool chests given to ya every 500 points earned.  This gives ya access to some neat weapon/armor skins, laurels (vendors located in various places, easiest access to me is the one in Lion's Arch), gold, account-wide percentage bonuses to xp, karma, and gold received, and (on certain chests) free gems to use in the Gem Store (cash shop).  

Also, not sure if you know of this, but you can save some money by using the crossed-swords icon in the top left of your screen to Enter the Mists (the spvp area).  Once there, you run about 100 feet north to an asura gate with 2 lions on either side of it that will take you directly to Lion's Arch.  Just an fyi, as it has helped me save a LOT of money using this as a cheap way of getting to ANY city quickly and without paying those sometimes-expensive WP (especially when higher level). Remember, Lion's Arch has Asura Gates to every major city.

Glad you're enjoying the game.  Hope you continue to enjoy it.  Take care and God bless!

• kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127

I didn't liked it either. You die in WvW you have to run back for an hour or so. Some thief catches you on your way, dead again... PvP then is like a ladder game - no progression at all. They advertised that you can choose how you level your character, with PvE or PvP but that's a lie cause the only viable option is PvE, in WvW even though you get upleveled that means little without the gear. Only in Warhammer Online you could lvlup thourgh RvR. Then all those updates with all those freaky consumables and crap and everyone running around chasing them like a headless monkey... this feels very cheap and game-shoppish. Other stupid thing they did on WvW is that they put three factions but no nameplates. What's the point into fighting nameless sprites? You can't even track the guy that killed you to get a revenge. Not to mention that every week the two other servers in WvW which you play against, change, so you can't even be proud of getting a win over a *specific* server. Not to mention the classes that for the most part play the same - getting rid of specific roles is a step behind not forward.

I had much more fun in the original GW.

Originally posted by kinart

I didn't liked it either. You die in WvW you have to run back for an hour or so. Some thief catches you on your way, dead again... PvP then is like a ladder game - no progression at all. They advertised that you can choose how you level your character, with PvE or PvP but that's a lie cause the only viable option is PvE, in WvW even though you get upleveled that means little without the gear. Only in Warhammer Online you could lvlup thourgh RvR. Then all those updates with all those freaky consumables and crap and everyone running around chasing them like a headless monkey... this feels very cheap and game-shoppish. Other stupid thing they did on WvW is that they put three factions but no nameplates. What's the point into fighting nameless sprites? You can't even track the guy that killed you to get a revenge. Not to mention that every week the two other servers in WvW which you play against, change, so you can't even be proud of getting a win over a *specific* server. Not to mention the classes that for the most part play the same - getting rid of specific roles is a step behind not forward.

I had much more fun in the original GW.

My son has been leveling solely in the WvWvW and love it.  He has leveled from 39 to 60, and it is his preferred way to level and play the game.  With the recent changes, it is a bit easier to level in WvWvW, although I prefer to level in the PvE areas.  Like I was saying to another, ya might want to give it another try, as the recent changes have made it a bit easier (and, imo, more fun) to play/level in WvW.

The main reason that they did not have nameplates for specific people was to prevent continuous *griefing* in WvW.  The *revenge* you speak of can be taken overboard, and has been abused in other games. I think Anet accomplished avoiding this issue quite well.

However, if you're the type of player that enjoys griefing or getting revenge on specific people, then WvW in GW2 may not be for you. It's more about large-scale accomplishments (taking keeps, defending supply depots, etc...), instead of the 1v1, 3v3, etc... out on the battlefield. 

I have to object to your interpretation that all classes play the same.  Not even for the most part.  Now, the warrior and guardian may have some similarities, but they play differently. If you attempt to play your guardian the same was as a warrior, you'll die.  The mesmer plays differently than the other caster classes.  The elementalist is one of the more difficult to actually master (attunement-switching rotation and mastery), but the pro players of this class are pretty amazing.  I am NOT one of these people.  PvP is my least-favorite part of ANY mmo.  It's also my wife's, children, and blood pressure's least-favorite as well. :)

Seriously, you may want to try your hand again at the WvW in GW2 from a different angle.  Try to play it on a large scale, joining a zerg as soon as possible, or forming smaller 5-men or 10-men groups for small hit-and-run tactics.  If you attempt to *solo* WvW, then you WILL die..repeatedly..in shame.  WvW is MADE to be played in groups, not alone.  Just as a battlefield is *safer* when you have allies with you.

I truly hope you give it another try.  You may be pleasantly surprised.  Then again, you may want to throw your pc, Anet, and GW2 in the garbage bin.  Either way, at least you would've given it another chance.  Take care and God bless!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Thing to remember us that it is amassive battlefield and running alone head long into a battlefield has risks, which is part of the fun. Very similar to AV in wow with rogues except on a grand scale. Re nameplates 1v 1 revenge can be fun, but in balance griefing is a bigger impact, I.e that very same thief that killed you now knows your name, so nay well keep on killing you over and over when you enter said battleground.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama
    Its a good single player game that lets you play along side other people.   I don't consider this game to be an MMO.

Please solo the fractals, I double dare you. I've soloed Arah but I'm sure you can't do that on your own too, so yeah, try that too.

If you think a LFG tool makes a MMO (which IMO is a complete idiocracy) ANet built such tool for the late September update for people like you that need an artificial tool to force you in group because you can't do it alone ._. 

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Pvp in this game requires more player skill than in most other mmorpg...

My computer is better than yours.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by page975

I've done some biching here about GW2, BUT I have to say that you will have some fun with it for several months.

Its REALLY a well built game, just not an mmo for community building....So have some fun :)

Agreed.  It's a great casual game, but that's all I get out of it.  It's not the virtual home away from home I'm looking for.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.