Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me, or has this year been crappy for MMORPGs?

2»

Comments

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    In my opinion this was a poor year for mmo's. aa, teso, and wild star was supposed to come out this year. We got nothing but a final fantasy redux and a few other crappy titles. Please this was a bad year. Looking forward to 2014.  
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Really send a message to companies and go play the MMOs you call great and show that if companies make a quality product you will actually stick with it.

Nah ....

Dishonored is a quality product. I don't stick with it. I finished it, enjoyed it very much and moved on.

Bioshock Infnite is a quality product. I don't stick with it. I finished it, enjoyed it very much and moved on.

Splinter Cell Black list is a quality product. I don't stick with it. I finished it, enjoyed it very much and moved on.

MMORPGs are the same.

All the above statements only applies to me. I am only speaking for myself. Quality is subjective.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Really send a message to companies and go play the MMOs you call great and show that if companies make a quality product you will actually stick with it.

Nah ....

Dishonored is a quality product. I don't stick with it. I finished it, enjoyed it very much and moved on.

Bioshock Infnite is a quality product. I don't stick with it. I finished it, enjoyed it very much and moved on.

Splinter Cell Black list is a quality product. I don't stick with it. I finished it, enjoyed it very much and moved on.

MMORPGs are the same.

All the above statements only applies to me. I am only speaking for myself. Quality is subjective.

Even though I see where you're coming from,the games you mentioned are not mmo's!So what is your input as far as actual mmo's?

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487

Its the same almost every year =P Sad part is found some phone mmorpgs more fun then most games listed.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    This year? I would say the last decade, brother.
  • STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by ray12k

Its the same almost every year =P Sad part is found some phone mmorpgs more fun then most games listed.

^This is what's wrong

People that would even buy/play an MMO on their phone. Plenty of great MMOs to play from the last couple of years. They don't do it for you? Well I guess get one on your phone....

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Fearum

Decade? Srsly? Honestly wondering how much of a troll this is. Not IF it is...but how much. I've been in at least three in the last two years that were good if not great. What the hell do you people want?

Originally posted by STYNKFYST

Decade? Srsly? Honestly wondering how much of a troll this is. Not IF it is...but how much. I've been in at least three in the last two years that were good if not great. What the hell do you people want?

Really? Three games that were great in the last two years? How long did you play those three great games?

I would love a game that can keep me playing for a year, at the very least.

Edit to add

The only game in the last 10 years that I have been able to play longer than 6 months was WoW. Played from launch for almost 3 years after that. The game started going in another direction after that to attract a broader audience which wasn't me. Glad the genre has shifted to games of your liking, but it is left me unentertained to say the least.

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST
    Originally posted by ray12k

^This is what's wrong

People that would even buy/play an MMO on their phone. Plenty of great MMOs to play from the last couple of years. They don't do it for you? Well I guess get one on your phone....

lol whats wrong is suckers like you play sh#ty mmorpgs and complain about how the suck.  Facts are only mmorpg I play at the moment is ac1 and lineage 2 of and on. Current released games suck. Your a newb who would eat poo if they told ypu it was the new best thing.

But players who know what a good game is wont settle bro. Sorry as in real life i wouldnt settle for a half way decent chick in my gaming I dont settle for kiddie walk through games were u go from one arrow to the next.

As I said most games suck I think the numbers of people leaving mmorpgs  support my train of thought...

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

I was already a gamer a decade ago but never got into MMOs because I found them to be ugly, VERY grindy, lacks polish, and gives no sense of direction. And good luck kidding myself it was a virtual world, what with those witty named players running around.

Originally posted by KhinRunite

I was already a gamer a decade ago but never got into MMOs because I found them to be ugly, VERY grindy, lacks polish, and gives no sense of direction. And good luck kidding myself it was a virtual world, what with those witty named players running around.

Hey, hey, hey I never said those games were great back then. They were fun because there was nothing else like them. In their defense though, they were harder than what you play today. Lack of direction can be a good thing, unless you like your hand being held the entire time.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Slappy1

Nah ....

MMORPGs are the same.

Even though I see where you're coming from,the games you mentioned are not mmo's!So what is your input as far as actual mmo's?

I have a similar outlook, but my own take on it.  I'll play some mmos like I do my single/multi-player titles.  If the game is fun and the people are nice, I'll visit for a while.  I'll spend $10 - $50 on the game, like I would those other games.  I'll hang out with some other gamers, hopefully make a few pleasant acquaintances, and when it's time to go, I'll move on. Others (like Rift, GW2, and Tera), I'll play for years off and on.

I don't feel like I have to commit hardcore to every game I play and I don't feel like I should only play a game if I'm going to go hardcore.  I know some here hold that sort of religious belief that you can only play one game and you have to carve out your niche in this exclusive community.

Right now I'm playing Eden Eternal alongside my main games.  It's something different and fun, but I'm not going to play it forever.

I don't have the time to play hardcore anymore either, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't give it my best if it was required. I could probably push out a few 10 hour sessions on the weekend every now and then but during the week I couldn't play like I used too. I'm not in the crowd of make the game shorter and easier or more casual because I don't have the time though. I still want a game that I'm not level capped in 2-3 weeks with nothing else to do but dailies or raids over and over again. I really don't need to chase reskinned quests once a month to get the new fluffy back pack, that's just not what I'm looking for when I want to play an MMORPG.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Slappy1

Nah ....

MMORPGs are the same.

I have a similar outlook, but my own take on it.  I'll play some mmos like I do my single/multi-player titles.  If the game is fun and the people are nice, I'll visit for a while.  I'll spend $10 - $50 on the game, like I would those other games.  I'll hang out with some other gamers, hopefully make a few pleasant acquaintances, and when it's time to go, I'll move on. Others (like Rift, GW2, and Tera), I'll play for years off and on.

I don't feel like I have to commit hardcore to every game I play and I don't feel like I should only play a game if I'm going to go hardcore.  I know some here hold that sort of religious belief that you can only play one game and you have to carve out your niche in this exclusive community.

Right now I'm playing Eden Eternal alongside my main games.  It's something different and fun, but I'm not going to play it forever.

I agree,you don't need to play games hardcore.The person i quoted just didn't even list an actual mmo.

I'm with you Torv as far as playing some games more hardcore and others less.It's nice too mix in some single player games here and there.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wushu saved the year for me, and nearly redeemed last year. 10 1/2 months in and I have seen no competition for what Wushu offers. Looks like will be here to 1st qt next year atleast.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Not played to much this year at all. Played darkfall uw for a few months apart from that its been a crappy year. We need something new, take our breath away.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I think the up coming year is going to be far worse. All the games that people have said are going to revive the genre look pretty mediocre at best imo.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Unfortunately I cannot name an mmog I  really excited about either.I just cancelled  the one game I was playing.Yes it was a subscription game.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

MMOs are not like shooters. In fact, they are not even like roleplaying games.

I dont play them in a serial way. I choose one thats good enough and keep playing it.

Its unfortunate that the only game I consider worth my time happends to be one plagued by bugs and lowish population, but oh well.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't have the time to play hardcore anymore either, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't give it my best if it was required. I could probably push out a few 10 hour sessions on the weekend every now and then but during the week I couldn't play like I used too. I'm not in the crowd of make the game shorter and easier or more casual because I don't have the time though. I still want a game that I'm not level capped in 2-3 weeks with nothing else to do but dailies or raids over and over again. I really don't need to chase reskinned quests once a month to get the new fluffy back pack, that's just not what I'm looking for when I want to play an MMORPG.

You make it sound like it is work.

I don't give my "best" or "worst" for a game. I just have fun.

And while i don't need a game to be easier, they should accomodate short play sessions. 10 hours? you are kidding me. I won't even commit to a 2 hour play session. And luckily most MMOs i play, i can have some fun in a much shorter time.