Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Players can make "sci fi" stuff in EQ: Landmark

BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554

Georgeson mentioned "sci fi hover platforms" in the context of types of things people can build and tag for like-minded players to find.

Cool. So I think as long as you aren't creating stuff that's hateful or offensive, you can probably make whatever you want!

http://www.eqhammer.com/interview/dave-georgeson-tells-us-why-everquest-next-landmark-fully-fledged-mmo

Comments

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Yes, you can build anything, but are limited to fantasy only within the "Norrath" zone.
  • ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    This is going to be really interesting to see what people come up with. I can't wait!
  • MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

Is there a release date yet?

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    I also can't wait. This could easily surpass EQ Next in awesomeness, especially if they include some interesting PVP options. =)
  • KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    This was put out at SOE Live during the reveal.  The only release date info given is this winter.
    Originally posted by Bidwood
    I also can't wait. This could easily surpass EQ Next in awesomeness, especially if they include some interesting PVP options. =)

There won't be any combat so any PVP would simply be multiple players getting together to build something.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

You can't build a floating UFO essentially.  Everything you create in Landmark needs approval before it can be copied into EQN.  Although, I suppose you could have a UFO prototype in Landmark.

I expect to see many "unapproved" phallic symbols in EQ:Landmark.  I'll LMAO .. but I expect SOE to be more professional and just ignore whats going on (as long as people pay). $5 for a 1 acre penis shrine is going to be a steal.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    you sure there won't be any combat? I thought I heard Georgeson say something about that...

anyway... what kind of stuff are you folks tempted to build?
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Karteli

You can't build a floating UFO essentially.  Everything you create in Landmark needs approval before it can be copied into EQN.  Although, I suppose you could have a UFO prototype in Landmark.

You can BUILD a planet full of UFO's  firing lasers at futuristic cities.  You just can't transfer those into EQN.   In Landmark, you can build whatever, it's not restricted to fantasy stuff.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by Bidwood
    you sure there won't be any combat? I thought I heard Georgeson say something about that...

anyway... what kind of stuff are you folks tempted to build?

If anything PVP hasn't been discussed.  It has bearly been mentioned.  The whole purpose of Landmark is to create and build.  There will only be one class: Adventurer. 

EverQuest Next is the game that you are thinking of that will have combat and PvP and questing and 40+ classes ...

Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by Karteli

You can BUILD a planet full of UFO's  firing lasers at futuristic cities.  You can't transfer those into EQN.   In Landmark, you can build whatever, it's not restricted to fantasy stuff.

Anything built on Norrath has to be built within Norrathian standards.  Anything built on other continents can be whatever style that customer service allows.  Therefore you will be able to build UFOs in Landmark, just not on Norrath.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Im thinking rotating sphere with internal 3d maze.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by svann
    Im thinking rotating sphere with internal 3d maze.

Considering that we haven't seen any moving structures so far and considering how difficult it would be to pull off in a voxel environment, it could or could not be possible at all.

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

I just call them magic platforms. Because when asked how they work... "they be magic". And when asked what that type of behaviour can lead to... "it's up to the imagination of magic".
    Go forth and create!

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

I really hope that it won't be too strict in Norrath, and player will still be able to have some variety, not only a set of textures and items that fit into story etc.

Is it known, if Landmark will be a separate game even after EQN release, or is it just something made for promotion and to help build the world for the main game?

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

I really hope that it won't be too strict in Norrath, and player will still be able to have some variety, not only a set of textures and items that fit into story etc.

Is it known, if Landmark will be a separate game even after EQN release, or is it just something made for promotion and to help build the world for the main game?

Its a seperate MMO on its own

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

In the same sense as Second Life is a MMO. It's a building tool, not any kind of game. It's like Steam Workshop. I mean, all y'all people who can't wait - surely you all have spent countless hours of your life building and creating in Second Life and Steam Workshop? Landmark would have the same excitement!

What? Suddenly it isn't as exciting as it seemed? It actually seems boring? I mean, none of you created anything in Steam Workshop, did you?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

You'll be bored of Landmark in an hour.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by Grahor

In the same sense as Second Life is a MMO. It's a building tool, not any kind of game. It's like Steam Workshop. I mean, all y'all people who can't wait - surely you all have spent countless hours of your life building and creating in Second Life and Steam Workshop? Landmark would have the same excitement!

What? Suddenly it isn't as exciting as it seemed? It actually seems boring? I mean, none of you created anything in Steam Workshop, did you?

Heh, well you're just a big meany.  I bet you like telling little kids that Santa isn't real also.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

Heh, well you're just a big meany.  I bet you like telling little kids that Santa isn't real also.

If the child in question is at least 12 and still thinks Santa is real, it is a duty of every sane person to explain to him what is what. 

I don't think a lot of people here are below 12... despite the evidence of their posts.

By your logic SimCity, The Sims, Second Life, Minecraft, etc are not games?  What then qualifies as a game?  Just because it isn't something you want to play doesn't mean that there aren't thousands of people who do.

I don't like First Person Shooters.  By your logic then FPS' are also not games.