Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Tera not more popular?

Comments

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Draemos

You guys can keep playing the "cute" card all you want.  But the design of the race is an obvious play on lolicon anime.  It's a blatant sexualization of pre-pubescent girls.  

please show me the sexualization, and when you prove this to me, you will have to ban anime for higher ages, but cause i am an anime fan i dont really understand your argument or other similar to yours ... and then make an argument also for Akasha from Dota games or other female characters from MOBAs which have the Teen rating and the stereotypes they provide ...

you blame a game for something that doesnt even happens, if you hate something try to provide valid points for your choice .

i will wait to see your arguments on World of Darkness  also  :p

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Some high-level bad things...

1. Questing, as many people have already mentioned, is boring. Quests are exclusively kill/fetch quests. While En Masse has tried making it a bit more interesting by tweaking the texts and voiceovers, the quests themselves are still as outdated, cumbersome and boring as a steamengine on a bicycle.

2. The level design is ultra-korean. This is a very subtle thing that most people won't notice but i'm sure contributes to the feeling of 'boring' the game conveys at times. If you look closely you can really see how Korean level design boils down to 'adding a bit of height variation to a very simple 2d map drawing'. Most of the architecture is also very neat, tidy and symmetrical, anything but organic. This makes the world design itself a lot more boring than it has to be.

3. Extremely slow start. The game does almost nothing to draw people in and makes it far, far too easy while still requiring quite a bit of grind to get up to level 30-35, where things start to get a little more interesting. The excuse that 'it gets good after level x' is never, EVER valid. A game should be fun from the word go and even though a lot of other games do it, that is also not an excuse to do it aswell.

4. Very rigid class designs. This is a general complaint about most MMO's but i feel it's more noticable here. A berserker is always a berserker, a warrior is always a warrior. The playstyles don't diverge as the glyph system makes you believe it does and itemization is similarly rigid. While this does make for a game where skill starts to matter a lot more than gear after a certain point, it is rather frustrating to know you can't really personalize your playstyle.

5. The art style is hit or miss. The armor designs have been talked about to death obviously and are the major point of this, er, point. The environment art is beautiful, but the boring level design makes it much less poignant.

6. The world is far more linear than it looks at first. There's invisible walls in too many places, a missed opportunity for a little bit of exploration. There's a lot of unused space, especially around the first major city. There's places where you can fall off the world and see that the edge is ridiculously close to playable areas - Come to think of it, this is, again, a flaw in the level design.

I do enjoy the game from time to time, but the above points keep me from really loving it. I would at least want to have a good, long talk with the game's level designers and tear them a new hole somewhere, it's almost offensive :/

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• crusher143crusher143 Member UncommonPosts: 198

Its because FPS problems even on a good PC, I dont mean everywhere but towns, little villages and especially PvP. Its no fun to play with ~20 FPS in PvP and even if you set it to low it doesnt change anything T_T.

Questing is utter boring in this game, never played a MMO where every area felt EXACTLY same like copy & paste which means I never would play a twink. Manaproblems are a huge pain in the butt even if you "glyph" everything for less mana thats just nonsense and no fun. Here is the other point, the glyphs for the most part are totally boring what they give you.

Crafting /sigh, why everything you can craft stands there in grey text ? Very annoying to look through your craftable stuff.

Questing was by far the best in GW2, sadly GW2 dungeons without real roles are boring and chaotic but thats personal preference I guess. I just like to play sometimes tank, heal, DD well you get the point but in GW2 it always feels the same. Also dont like how the skills are bound to your weapon and too less skills you can use at once.

And sadly the camera in GW2 is total annoying for PvP and they even made it this way by purpose with the "heavy" slow camera which you cant zoom out much /sigh ...

But questing in GW2 if you did everything on the map with sight seeing points etc. was the best experience ever in any MMO so far, especially with no annoying questhubs.

For graphics GW2 is nice but Tera for sure has better graphics easily.

Overall both games are worth it to play for 1-2 months but thats it :/.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

TERA came the closest to being the game that I could play for a long time.

Do a complete overhaul of the quest system. I don't care what you do but anything would be better then what we have atm.

Change the pvp system to where its not a gank fest as it is now. Pking need penalties and also get rid of the toggle pvp mode.

Make it so you are not rooted in combat. Its just feels better to move and attack.

Increase the mob AI so much that it makes grouping up being the best way to play TERA.

Make it that the classes can evolve into other classes. Always liked games where you did class changes as you leveled.

TERA's world is really impressive. Its mostly open and seemless so adding player housing to a world like this would be epic. Also add some more open world dungeons and caves. Make it so people have a reason to get off the paths and explore the world.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by loulaki
    You guys can keep playing the "cute" card all you want.  But the design of the race is an obvious play on lolicon anime.  It's a blatant sexualization of pre-pubescent girls.  
    please show me the sexualization, and when you prove this to me, you will have to ban anime for higher ages, but cause i am an anime fan i dont really understand your argument or other similar to yours ... and then make an argument also for Akasha from Dota games or other female characters from MOBAs which have the Teen rating and the stereotypes they provide ...

you blame a game for something that doesnt even happens, if you hate something try to provide valid points for your choice .

He is absolutely right, the Elin is highly sexualized, here are your examples.

Those are just 3 examples i found after doing a google "Tera Elin" image search.

If you don't think this race ain't highly sexualized then i don't want to ever meet you in real life, there is no need to show so much skin if you want to make a "cute" race.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

Not enough Elin Lancers?

But seriously it's just a quest runner which is good if that's what you're looking for.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by crusher143
    Its because FPS problems even on a good PC, I dont mean everywhere but towns, little villages and especially PvP. Its no fun to play with ~20 FPS in PvP and even if you set it to low it doesnt change anything T_T.Questing is utter boring in this game, never played a MMO where every area felt EXACTLY same like copy & paste which means I never would play a twink. Manaproblems are a huge pain in the butt even if you "glyph" everything for less mana thats just nonsense and no fun. Here is the other point, the glyphs for the most part are totally boring what they give you.Crafting /sigh, why everything you can craft stands there in grey text ? Very annoying to look through your craftable stuff.Questing was by far the best in GW2, sadly GW2 dungeons without real roles are boring and chaotic but thats personal preference I guess. I just like to play sometimes tank, heal, DD well you get the point but in GW2 it always feels the same. Also dont like how the skills are bound to your weapon and too less skills you can use at once.And sadly the camera in GW2 is total annoying for PvP and they even made it this way by purpose with the "heavy" slow camera which you cant zoom out much /sigh ...But questing in GW2 if you did everything on the map with sight seeing points etc. was the best experience ever in any MMO so far, especially with no annoying questhubs.For graphics GW2 is nice but Tera for sure has better graphics easily.Overall both games are worth it to play for 1-2 months but thats it :/.

I actually played GW2 with the combat mod (forgot name) for some time, it was really good, the mod would auto press the camera (right mouse button) for you, with that the game gets a completely different feeling.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Originally posted by loulaki

He is absolutely right, the Elin is highly sexualized, here are your examples.

Those are just 3 examples i found after doing a google "Tera Elin" image search.

If you don't think this race ain't highly sexualized then i don't want to ever meet you in real life, there is no need to show so much skin if you want to make a "cute" race.

That's kinda creepy...

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by g4m3sh4rk
    This game, so far, has an engaging combat system and a good story line. I am finding it difficult to dislike anything about it so far. Can some one please spell it out for me? There has to be something off about it.

The end game consist of grinding an luck.

Not a good system outside of asia.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    This game, so far, has an engaging combat system and a good story line. I am finding it difficult to dislike anything about it so far. Can some one please spell it out for me? There has to be something off about it.

I didn't find anything off about it. I enjoyed it to the last day, the combat was the most fun I ever did and I couldn't get bored of it. The combat alone could keep me grinding dungeons for months, it is just as addicting as crack xD I didn't care about quests, because I love endgame gear grind (no sacrasm).

The reason I stopped was because there were to little people playing and I had to wait for hours to get to the end game dungeons. So basically I had to stop playing because other people don't like the game for some reason xD It is sad. I would keep going if it was more popular.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Haha, yeah, the rude world of Tera, i love it !

My char is 55 now and i slowly get a picture of what comes by when i hit 60.

The recent Alliance patch gave us landcontrol, 3 faction PvP that starts with 60.

It is a themepark as long as you play it like one. It turns sandbox, when you follow your own path.

Ofcause Tera isnt perfect, but what is there, is fun.

I like the character development and all the mechanics that lead you to be a monster.

I love the combat system, one of the best i ever played. You got to understand chain-skills to make it fluid.

I like the world, even if right these fantasy themes are not exacly mine, i have regulary "whoa"-moments because some places in this world are really impressive done.

The community isnt so bad.

Its a PvP game so it drags all the jerks, assholes and clowns to shine out of the mass, but the most people are really very nice.

At least i am one of them and i for my understood already, that people play Elins for their smaller target frame ^^

As said, its a PvP game, its about domination, landcontrol and rating.

• Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    all of my toons are elins say what you will but i like them because they're the only race that doesnt have their tits on display 24/7

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123

nothing is good beside visuals and combat mechanics. actually besides those, it trails behind most of its competition by a land slide.

Agreed.

The combat is pretty great though.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

bandwidth caps in the west, 30GB download, i5 or better to play.

Tera was destined to be for dedicated online gamers by design.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Tera end game is trash for both pvp and pve. 

For a pver the problems are:

1.  End game you just do the same things over and over and over

2.  Can finish all content in the game in 1 month easy

For a pvper the problems are:

1.  The pvp servers are really pve servers, very very casual, the owpvp is non existent

2.  The new pvp content is just silly...dominated by potions and just zoned pvp even on the pvp servers

3.  The BG's are about the only pvp in the game where you can always get pvp, however they are dominated by pve within the BG

4.  At end game you can literally never leave the safezones and finish everything

5.  The best gear even for pvp is done through pve

There are your reasons why from one of the biggest Tera fanboys ever...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Tera was a mmo designed to appeal to the pre teen crowd ...sort of a light shallow  little game where you can jump onto your Toon and run around killing Bam Bams and following bread crumps from point to point ,

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Simple answer: Repulsive art style.

Eastern style, everyone carrying a canoe sized sword in their back, silly pointy armors with huge boobs hanging out or oiled sixpacks with no protection. It's just... *shakes his head*

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Mortemia

Eastern style, everyone carrying a canoe sized sword in their back, silly pointy armors with huge boobs hanging out or oiled sixpacks with no protection. It's just... *shakes his head*

Except a lot of people like that or don't mind it so that really isn't  the reason.

The "reason" why it isn't more popular is because of "why?" "Why level" because once you get to the top there isn't much to do.

PvP is really just for the fun of it. One could have fun and pvp for something such as territory or keeping people out of terriroty. But there are just pvp maps.

Or if you are a pve person you level only to get to run the same dungeons over and over again for better armor drops and er 'then what?"

I love the world and love the combat. Rooting doesn't bother me at all.

but I have a top level character with some decent armor and no where to go with it other than run some dungeons over and over again to get some slightly better pieces. Or do the pvp maps over and over again so I can get some "better pvp pieces".

The game is not thought out well, it's just a great proof of concept piece. I'll be more interested to see what they do with the faction pvp.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Except a lot of people like that or don't mind it so that really isn't  the reason.

Oh, but one should never underestimate the artsy stuff. A pile of my friends didn't even bother to try Tera, just because of the art style. I can imagine there's a lot more people like that.

Just like you, I could easily say "A lot of people hate that, so that is one reason".

• patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142

They swept under the rugs that UI bug which cause unacceptable performance drops. Also unplayable when your FPS drop under 10 on bosses. I bet half the people are having the same problem but treat it as normal. There was an official forum thread on the problem and it got simply removed and forgotten.

Most people who say the combat is boring didn't get to the end game. That lead to one of the problem of TERA: leveling is boring and easy. Also, you don't get all your skills until the last levels. The end game is truly one of the most interesting and challenging I have experienced in an MMO. 99.9% of people will never get pass Kelsaik in hard mode.

• IntheShadowsIntheShadows Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Oh, but one should never underestimate the artsy stuff. A pile of my friends didn't even bother to try Tera, just because of the art style. I can imagine there's a lot more people like that.

Just like you, I could easily say "A lot of people hate that, so that is one reason".

I'm sure this isn't the only or even main reason the game isn't popular. However, for me personally it was a turn off. Don't get me wrong, I like my girls to look sexy/pretty, but Tera is trying waaayyy too hard for me to take it seriously. Running animations perfectly done for me to see up their skirts, over the top hip movements then they climb up ladders, etc.

For most people (and even fans on the official forums) it would seem lack of end game is the major problem.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    It has been never easy for Asian MMOS to breakout in western market. Tera is not that bad though but MMOS seldom get a second chance after a bad launch.

And yet 

Explain to me what the hell is going on with FF XIV. 

I agree with you 1000%, and yet for some reason all the girls panties are wet over Final Fantasy. 

Makes no sense to me at all.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Tera endgame is very few PVE instances that you do over and over even though they get boring fast - and two different battlegrounds (the only PVP content the game has to offer) that have serious balancing issues because of the broken instance finder that didn't get fixed for over a year. The NA "devs" last year said they evaluate providing players with some open world content but as we can see they decided against it.

So the big question is: Why would Tera be popular when it just has some nice graphics and a fun combat system while it lacks strongly on the content part and is really weak on the pvp portions?

I played Tera since open beta because I love the combat system - but didn't login for a few weeks now. There simply is nothing left to do that I didn't do at least 50-100 times. I'll never understand why a company that doesn't have the man power to create enough content for a theme park puts doesn't evaluate some open world content like world bosses to give their player base epic pvp fights. They also could boost the BAMs and add some decent drops to them, that would be another reason to make people leave safe zone but guess what, they decided the NERF them.

Your seriously prefer those ugly trashy western style graphics as seen in games like WoW or Darkfall? Ewwwww.

LFG!
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I would honestly have to say that alot has to do with the pretty terrible interface and graphical settings.

Honestly the first time I ever played Tera I quit within the first hour cause I couldn't achieve the settings I was looking for on either, yet came back a couple of months later and really took time to rearrange the interface and figure out the best graphical settings.

It's a real shame but these two facts do in fact hold this game back as it is very annoying to monkey around with settings for so long to achieve the desired results, but once I achieved a decent looking and functional interface that wasn't overlapping and graphical settings that didn't look washed out or blurry then I could play it and fell in love with the wonderful combat and world.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    I can tell you why is not more popular in EU in one word: gameforge.
This discussion has been closed.