Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFARR from Polished? Seeking answers from FFARR players

Comments

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Lucrecia
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Your own disclaimer discredits most of your post. Thats kinda weird heh.

The question I must ask then is...are my observations inaccurate?

The issue comes about because you have "lost credibility".

Without credibility I could assume your observations are in fact not credible.

At this point your observations weather or not are valid, fail to be even considered.

When a known racist points out a problem with his or her hated race, do you listen, or even bother to find out if their observation is correct?

This is where your problem is.

What credibility is needed to offer an opinion on a game that you've tried? Besides taking the time to write a detailed impression of a game lends far more to a posters credibility than a disclaimer stating "this is just one opinion". Not to mention the attempts to discredit that opinion later in the thread (which does marvelously for ones own "credibility").

Agree..Disagree with the OP  that's what forums are for...I as example disagree with the OP (in terms of the games polish, outside of server related issues). Yet I feel no need to attempt to discredit the OP's credibility because of that disagreement. Is this how all who do not conform will be treated?

My comment was about mechanics. Not content.

Op made post. Poster called into question OPs post. Op then said "but how about my opinions?". I explained that many could view the opinions as invalid because of OPs statements. (OPs bias) I then gave an example of a different situation to elaborate.

Opinions formed with bias are by definition 1 sided. Not to be viewed objectively. Making the question of "How about my biased opinions?" an exercise in futility.

This interaction is futile and an exercise on my patience.

If I gave only negatives to FFARR then perhaps you would seem less like a white knight. :p

I've been following this game since it's first utterance. My opinions are far from bias.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

At this point your observations weather or not are valid, fail to be even considered.

When a known racist points out a problem with his or her hated race, do you listen, or even bother to find out if their observation is correct?

What credibility is needed to offer an opinion on a game that you've tried? Besides taking the time to write a detailed impression of a game lends far more to a posters credibility than a disclaimer stating "this is just one opinion". Not to mention the attempts to discredit that opinion later in the thread (which does marvelously for ones own "credibility").

Agree..Disagree with the OP  that's what forums are for...I as example disagree with the OP (in terms of the games polish, outside of server related issues). Yet I feel no need to attempt to discredit the OP's credibility because of that disagreement. Is this how all who do not conform will be treated?

Op made post. Poster called into question OPs post. Op then said "but how about my opinions?". I explained that many could view the opinions as invalid because of OPs statements. (OPs bias) I then gave an example of a different situation to elaborate.

Opinions formed with bias are by definition 1 sided. Not to be viewed objectively. Making the question of "How about my biased opinions?" an exercise in futility.

If I gave only negatives to FFARR then perhaps you would seem less like a white knight. :p

I've been following this game since it's first utterance. My opinions are far from bias.

I said NOTHING about either FFARR or WoW, only YOUR delivery.

I am sorry that you have taken offence, I merely was attempting to shed some light, so that in the future, say maybe at a job or presentation you may do, you can avoid making mistakes that will cause many to stop listening to what you have to say.

I said NOTHING about either FFARR or WoW, only YOUR delivery.

I am sorry that you have taken offence, I merely was attempting to shed some light, so that in the future, say maybe at a job or presentation you may do, you can avoid making mistakes that will cause many to stop listening to what you have to say.

This was not your motivation.

This is either a clear case of backpedaling or you have a creepy interest in my personal non-gaming life.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I've been playing FFXIV:ARR on my "free trial" (bought 1.0 back then) and it's kinda growing on me, but...

I'm only lvl15 + 9, I do enjoy the freedom which this game gives me at what to do at that point. Story, hunting logs, fates, guild leves, or I could just swap the starting city at this point to my knowledge.

Sadly the notorius "been there done that" feeling is quite strong with this one. Running around rotating 3-4 buttons at every encounter, getting new gear every 2 levels looking like a clown with 4 different color schemes on the gear, doing fates/PQ's, quest hubs... Even with the freedom of choise on the activities, they are very similar in comparison and very similar with what we got 10 years ago. It's the same thing again, almost to the point.

I'm kinda waiting for the strong Oooh! factor which makes me want to stick with the game, but I have the feeling that at lvl15 I know the general idea how this game plays till the max level and beyond.

If I were OP I'd propably pick this game for being new and shiny especially when the production value is surprisingly high for a mmorpg, but if the alternate is 9 years of progress and integrating your self in another very similar game, where you have a solid guild and a reputation, it kinda becomes an easy choise.

I wish I could say why anyone should absolutely pick FFXIV over WoW, for my own sake, but I dont see anything big and solid enough to try to sell for people. It's more like, if you want to play a very traditional mmorpg in FFXIV universe, with a bit more interesting class system, then this is a game for you.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Kuinn

I'm only lvl15 + 9, I do enjoy the freedom which this game gives me at what to do at that point. Story, hunting logs, fates, guild leves, or I could just swap the starting city at this point to my knowledge.

Sadly the notorius "been there done that" feeling is quite strong with this one. Running around rotating 3-4 buttons at every encounter, getting new gear every 2 levels looking like a clown with 4 different color schemes on the gear, doing fates/PQ's, quest hubs... Even with the freedom of choise on the activities, they are very similar in comparison and very similar with what we got 10 years ago. It's the same thing again, almost to the point.

I'm kinda waiting for the strong Oooh! factor which makes me want to stick with the game, but I have the feeling that at lvl15 I know the general idea how this game plays till the max level and beyond.

If I were OP I'd propably pick this game for being new and shiny especially when the production value is surprisingly high for a mmorpg, but if the alternate is 9 years of progress and integrating your self in another very similar game, where you have a solid guild and a reputation, it kinda becomes an easy choise.

I wish I could say why anyone should absolutely pick FFXIV over WoW, for my own sake, but I dont see anything big and solid enough to try to sell for people. It's more like, if you want to play a very traditional mmorpg in FFXIV universe, with a bit more interesting class system, then this is a game for you.

Completely agree and exactly how I feel and why I got bored super quickly. I've quit at 30+17 and I had these same thoughts all along the way. I persisted a while just to give it a fair chance.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Great post, agree nearly 100% with OP. If only FF personel would read this ...
  • SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94

I couldn't agree more, very well said and fair review.  I don't play WoW anymore, I can't stand the game or what they have changed it into, but your review for FFARR is pretty much spot on. 

I too, was utterly enraged by the fuck tarded invisible walls.

imageimageimageimage

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    On the GCD, it was done on purpose, to give more of a tactical choice in combat. IE  the Lancer (playing atm) has abilities that depending on your position, have different effects, +damage, +damage buff, etc now ive only played to Lv.20 . Also FF11 was similar in combat speed, its (at least for me) just a different style of combat. your either going to like or not. This by far though was a good opinion of ones view on a game :)
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by zaylin
    On the GCD, it was done on purpose, to give more of a tactical choice in combat. IE  the Lancer (playing atm) has abilities that depending on your position, have different effects, +damage, +damage buff, etc now ive only played to Lv.20 . Also FF11 was similar in combat speed, its (at least for me) just a different style of combat. your either going to like or not. This by far though was a good opinion of ones view on a game :)

Khm, care to explain again about "tactical choice in combat" and alike? Not sure any1 understood what have astronomically long GCD to do with anything you mentioned. And wondering how fare ALL (past, present and future) other games in the world without such "tactical" GCD. 

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94

How does having a 2.5 second GCD make your combat decisions "tactical" in any way shape form or fashion? I always hear people spouting things like "With the longer GCD, it makes your decisions more meaningful and tactical, it adds strategy" but in reality, that couldn't be farther from the truth. In fact, it is the exact opposite.

imageimageimageimage

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Sephrinx

How does having a 2.5 second GCD make your combat decisions "tactical" in any way shape form or fashion? I always hear people spouting things like "With the longer GCD, it makes your decisions more meaningful and tactical, it adds strategy" but in reality, that couldn't be farther from the truth. In fact, it is the exact opposite.

Well, like i said im only 20 , but at 20 i have one ability that has an effect if I flank them, then another one that has an effect if im behind them, etc....and honestly more meaningful skills with a 2.5 GCD, compaired to spam these 5 buttons as fast as you can is about the same imo. again i guess it just depends on what you like, and what your tastes are.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by zaylin On the GCD, it was done on purpose, to give more of a tactical choice in combat. IE  the Lancer (playing atm) has abilities that depending on your position, have different effects, +damage, +damage buff, etc now ive only played to Lv.20 . Also FF11 was similar in combat speed, its (at least for me) just a different style of combat. your either going to like or not. This by far though was a good opinion of ones view on a game :)

One thing I've noticed while tanking dungeons is that I have to be more proactive than reactive. For instance, in WoW if I saw a boss charging up a spell, I would stop spamming my attack and spam my interrupt. In FFXIV, I dont have that luxury since an enemies castbar is typically faster than my GCD. SO instead, I have to pay attention to the boss' pattern more and say to myself, "ok, now is typically when this boss cast a spell, I should get my GCD ready."

It makes the game less spammy thats for sure. And I am more engaged in mob mechanics knowing I have to try and be proactive.

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    In the Title.... I see what you did there.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

Originally posted by Vutar

OP lost all credibility when he posted this:

'Anti-exploitative gameplay: Yes. Blizzard is active in countering exploitative actions and features easy to use tools for players to report bots as well.'

There are so many bots running around in BGs these days that they are unplayable. Also gathering bots are all over the place. Blizzard has done a lot of talking about how they take exploiting seriously but in practice they do not. Furthermore, if they actually do ban someone for exploiting, those people simply appeal and have their bans reduced. Go do some searching for WoW cheat programs and look at their forums. You will quickly see how little fear the exploiters have of Blizzard. 

If you don't know my gender simply say 'they' instead of assuming my proper pronoun.

They do have an easy report feature. You right click on the botters portrait and click on report. I don't have to do this a lot because I don't see it as much as you apparently do. I am basing my claims off of first hand experience when it comes to World of Warcraft since I have 9 years of it. Now in the BGs, the main issue I have ever came accross with botting is when a single person owns 3+ accounts (and you can tell them apart instantly) and they just burst their targets down insanely fast making SOME BG's unplayable. I don't run accross this so often to deter me from BGs.

Now, please..you...and everyone else stop with the overreaction involving my credibility.

Originally posted by mrputts
    In the Title.... I see what you did there.

/bows :)..But who knows. Perhaps in the coming months it will change to FFARR too FUN!

Originally posted by zaylin On the GCD, it was done on purpose, to give more of a tactical choice in combat. IE  the Lancer (playing atm) has abilities that depending on your position, have different effects, +damage, +damage buff, etc now ive only played to Lv.20 . Also FF11 was similar in combat speed, its (at least for me) just a different style of combat. your either going to like or not. This by far though was a good opinion of ones view on a game :)

One thing I've noticed while tanking dungeons is that I have to be more proactive than reactive. For instance, in WoW if I saw a boss charging up a spell, I would stop spamming my attack and spam my interrupt. In FFXIV, I dont have that luxury since an enemies castbar is typically faster than my GCD. SO instead, I have to pay attention to the boss' pattern more and say to myself, "ok, now is typically when this boss cast a spell, I should get my GCD ready."

It makes the game less spammy thats for sure. And I am more engaged in mob mechanics knowing I have to try and be proactive.

But does it feel very rock,paper, scissors? I myself prefer visceral combat which, yes, is often fast paced, heart-pumping, arthritis-inducing, mayhem when coming into a new heroic mode boss fight in WoW. Sadly, a lot of this has faded over the years. The video above holds much of my own sentiments on the subject. I remember clawing my way through BC..never really reaching pinnacle with my guild but was it ever so fun trying.

I suppose having to guess when a boss is going to do their next devastating attack (instead of having a Deadly Boss Mods bar tell you) makes you more involved but it just means there is a predictable pattern, right? Are there other factors in the mechanics that you must battle with that will ruthelessly mess you up until you become a seasoned raider? Are there other methods for a tank to counter a devastating attack other than having their counter off GCD?

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by Juaks

Why don't you just buy it and try it? like giving it a fair try? It's just a game...it's just 30 bucks....You are not buying a boat or a house!

And 9 years of WoW? for god sake! how boring....

Edit. And your review is too biased in my book.

He had 9 years of enjoyment while most were looking for the next perfect thing that never came. The OP wasn't the bored one.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Posted by Lucrecia on 9/05/13 at 12:35:37 PM

But does it feel very rock,paper, scissors? I myself prefer visceral combat which, yes, is often fast paced, heart-pumping, arthritis-inducing, mayhem when coming into a new heroic mode boss fight in WoW. Sadly, a lot of this has faded over the years. The video above holds much of my own sentiments on the subject. I remember clawing my way through BC..never really reaching pinnacle with my guild but was it ever so fun trying.
    I suppose having to guess when a boss is going to do their next devastating attack (instead of having a Deadly Boss Mods bar tell you) makes you more involved but it just means there is a predictable pattern, right? Are there other factors in the mechanics that you must battle with that will ruthelessly mess you up until you become a seasoned raider? Are there other methods for a tank to counter a devastating attack other than having their counter off GCD?

I play VF5 semi-competitively. When I first started playing WoW the GCD made the game feel slow. I like all types of combat. I don't expect or want twitch combat in an mmo simply because I play mmos for long hours at a time and I don't need to have my heart racing the whole time. I do enjoy competitive fighting games and you can find me a couple nights a week mixing it up on VF5 or Third Strike.

It really is personal preference here. It sounds to me like you are looking for reasons to stay with WoW although you keep insisting that you're dying to get out. If I went into a game hoping that it offered more than what I already enjoy, then my mind would already be made up before I even hit start. I think thats where you're at right now with WoW. And thats totally cool. Enjoy what you like. But pretending to give other games some kind of legitimate shot only to come to some predetermined conclusion...you're just lying to yourself really hehe.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Honestly, you had some interesting viewpoints, but you extrapolated a bit too much given your fairly obvious limited experience within the game itself.

Firstly, the FATE system is working as intended. SE wants you to be able to play an "all-in-one" character, and since quests are pretty limited, you're going to rely upon the Hunting Log, FATEs, Levequests and Dungeons to level up additional classes. FATE camping isn't extremely efficient until you at least have a mount to get around, or else you'll find yourself consistently getting Silver or Bronze. FATEs aren't all that dissimilar than Dynamic Quests in GW2, but in FF XIV it's a legitimate way to level up in the PVE world.

Additionally, you mention people are doing FATEs to "keep up" and I don't buy it. If someone feels like they need to keep up with others, well that's on them. Outside of maybe world first raiding, there isn't much that's competitive within the game. PVE isn't competitive, the Marketplace has so many users that even Auction House PVP seems to be non-existent (you can still make some sweet cash in the Marketplace though). You'll have people who will power their way through to get to the "end" of the game, and you'll have people who take their time and enjoy the ride, and that exists in ALL mmos.

You also listed WoW as innovative, but state that FF XIV ARR is not. I disagree, to a point. The original boundary WoW broke was that it was an entirely quest driven leveling experience. That hadn't existed in a complete form, although there were other mmos that used quests driven experiences. Asheron's Call 2, for example, the first 20 levels was basically a lengthy tutorial quest chain, and then when you reached the Hero levels (50+) you completed daily quests and repeatable quests to boost your xp gains. Asheron's Call 1 was also an innovator in the arena of addon inclusion, and WoW was not the first to do it.

However, WoW also innovated by taking what was already out there and did it better. FF XIV ARR has done very well for itself by allowing multiple types of leveling to be all equally valid, not to mention the "all-in-one" character which can freely switch between any and all disciplines on a singular character. If anything, FF XIV ARR, brings back the importance of your name and persona. Players will be able to build a reputation among the immediate community (and the community at large) by their actions, and not necessarily will be able to hide behind an army of alts (although you can have multiple characters). If I become known for being extremely helpful, I can carry on my good name while leveling alts, because an alt is just another portion of my overall character. As a "mmo vet", I find that option to be extremely refreshing.

Next, your part about the AFK exploit has also been fixed as of the maintenance. Aside from some 3102 issues right after maintenance completed, many people reported no queue to extremely limited queue times last night. Should SE have gotten their login issues fixed sooner? Yes. Could they have fixed them sooner? Who knows, it's all pure speculation. What's important is that it's fixed now, and people can get in and play. All things considered, this wasn't even the worst launch I've ever experienced.

I will close with this though, and this post is a lot longer than I intended, sorry. I too am a fan of the Final Fantasy franchise, but I haven't really liked the direction the franchise has went starting with X. I've enjoyed each game in it's own right, but much of what made old school FF great has been gutted from the past number of games. I never played XI and I skipped XIV 1.0, because I felt that the magic had left the franchise entirely. However, when I finally got my hands on FF XIV ARR in P3 Beta, I felt like I was at home. When a friend asked me how I liked the beta, I responded and said "It's the most FF of any FF game I have played in years". I truly feel that way too. It's refreshing to be able to go back into a franchise that I have played the past 20+ years, that I played while growing up and still enjoyed through my early adult life, and finally feel like I did when I played FF on the NES the first time. I've allowed myself to enjoy the experience for what it is, and get lost within the realm of a Final Fantasy game.

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    I think in many ways ff14 surpasses wow and I am enjoying ff14 a lot at the minute when I can get in that is :) but I'm really struggling with the constant loading screens when going from zone to zone, even more so when the cities even have constant load screens to move around. This issue will probably be the thing that makes ff14 a few months game rather than a 4 years game like wow once was for me.
  • SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    This review, while well written, suffers from severe bias.  I cannot take it seriously.  There are some accurate points, but not enough to sway me from playing.  I am having a wonderful time.  Warcraft is old hat and going nowhere.  They've had their time in the sun.  
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Everything ive experienced (besides the server issues) on FFXIV is very polish and run very smooth. Obviously not as smooth as WoW. My brother played WoW on a 200 dollar PC from walmart. I have a somewhat mid range PC and i play FFXIV on ultra with FPS from 30 to 60+ with an average of 45 with decent amount of people. Its not fair to expect FFXIV will run at launch as smooth as a low end game like WoW that has 8 years (post launch) of quality and polishing put into it. Just..... no.

FFIXV still needs polishing to do, that is for sure. But even on beta the game was running smoother than any other mmo launch ive ever experienced in the past 5 years. Again, not counting the server login issues. 

Expecting a game as high end as FF to have at launch the same (or more) polishing and performance as a low end game with 8-9 years of work put into it is beyond me. If they didnt do it with FF11 after so many years its been out there, they wont do it with a fresh new game right at launch. It will come with time. The same way WoW achieved it..... with time.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Production value is a very large topic.

You can't argue a better production value when it has so little value.Blizzard put little value into it's game,the graphics ,lighting,textures ,immersion all very low production.

Smooth? Well yes when you have a VERY low poly game,even a bumbling amateur could pull it off.I would like to see how well Wow would handle with FFXIV's graphics?I bet Blizzard would be the laughing stock of the industry.

Need i remind that Blizzard was the team that could NOT pull off console porting,while Square Enix was doing it easily.Even several years later Blizzard could not do it,idk how many years people kept asking ,what happened to Ghost,where is SC2,what happened to the console port?

This is also why Blizzard likes to use a lot of instances,again VERY low production quality is needed to pull it off.

Now you might argue that blizzard is smart because it sticks to what it can do and does not try to do more,but i would not give them credit for high production value.

The REAL character of Blizzard might show up when they release Titan,that is of course they don't continue to go cartoon graphics and low poly effort.We will see how well Blizzard can do with Titan when they try to join the big boys with higher poly maps and characters.

One final point,YES we all can agree gameplay>graphics but simply saying that does not mean Wow has better game play because imo it does not have it.Wow failed on immediate immersion,they drop yo udown in the middle of nowhere,you don't even know why or how you got there,that is some pretty sloppy planning to immerse a player in the beginning of a game.Also following yellow markers and removing yourself from the MMO factor with instances is again pretty poor production if you PRETEND to be making as MMORPG.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

Now while I agree with some of your points your comparing an 8 year old game to a game that was RE-released 2 weeks ago....

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    fair review, the only problem is that i feel you did not get very far. I enjoy games with and without combat timers and the only reason I would ever think the gcd the is making gameplay sluggish is if you still did not get very far in the game. that in itself would definitely detract from the credibility of your review. the gcd is well paced and is definitely required for later dungeon gameplay.  

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Your observations are not inaccurate because they are opinions lol.

I am going to be 100% honest,there is not one idea in Wow i would use if i were to design my perfect game.NOT one.

Now i have seen a lot of cool ideas from other games that i don't play or don't like to commit to ,so i am not a one or two game fanbois,i like seeing thought and effort over simple ideas with little value put into them.

IMO Blizzard has always been and still is like an Indie developer with a lot of money.

Things might change come Titan,i think if they try to join the big boys we will see how well they pull it off.

Right now imo Blizzard does not have the skills to pull off the same qaulity as FFXIVARR,that is why trying to compare an apple to an orange is futile.Titan might give us a better perspective to Blizzard's ability to produce a high quality game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

This discussion has been closed.