Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game doesn't do it for me.

TurQTurQ Member UncommonPosts: 9

So I came here to post on the MMORPG.com forums so I can avoid the FF14 fanboys who will take my word and toss it down then stomp on it, no matter how logical I present my case.

Anyway, the combat system, the way your character moves, interacting with npc's, lackluster chat box with unfriendly controls

• The Combat System
  • 2.5 second Global Cooldown
  • The Way your character moves
  • Interacting with npc's
  • Lackluster and unfriendly chat box
  • No option for text balloon of some sort

The Combat System-
It is just old school in a new time. Some people may like the shoutout to oldschool MMO game play. I have seen the promised land with active combat MMO's, like Tera. And semi-active combat MMO's like GW2. FF14 just feels like a huge step backwards to me. Though some of the enemies in this game have attacks that they "tell" and you as a player have to move your character out the way. And by "get out of the way", I mean nonchalantly strafe out. Don't worry, the enemy knows you have no roll ability and will wait for a little while before actually commencing his attack.

2.5 Second Global Cooldown-
So, they already made this a very relaxed (for lack of a better word) game with hardly any "action" in the combat system. Like rolling out the way, etc. Add in a rather long 2.5 second global cooldown and you have a recipe for a slow, arduous game.

Character Movement-
Doesn't feel very reactive. I press the key and it feels like a millisecond delay, which isn't that much but enough to be annoying. Before anyone asks or tries to tell me.. no it isn't a result of my computer and/or my graphics settings being too high in the game.

Interacting with NPC's-
This is not that big of a deal, but you do this enough to where it gets a little annoying. Click on the npc. Wait like 0.5 - 1 second... Then the npc focuses on you and stops you from moving while he "talks" (makes you click through text spam) to you.

Lackluster and Unfriendly Chat Box-
Ever try ignoring a gold spammer? Normally just right-click the name and... oh no, not in this game! Ever try to set up tabs to new chat tabs to have chat channels on/off to your liking? Good luck. I've put together chairs from scratch that had their directions written in another language, and that was still easier than this.

No Option For Text Balloons Of Some Kind-
An option.. any option. This is kind of a big deal to RP'ers, and I do RP every now and then. So, with such an unfriendly chat box coupled with no text balloons... if you are an RP'er, just prepare yourself now to get lost in a sea of text with only 3 people RP'ing.

That's about it, though there are other issues that I am either forgetting or I thought they weren't serious enough to address. Just voicing my opinion is all!

The words in bold are not important.

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    All of these would be fine if you couldn't solo to max level and/or get there in a few days.
  • TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by TurQ

So I came here to post on the MMORPG.com forums so I can avoid the FF14 fanboys who will take my word and toss it down then stomp on it, no matter how logical I present my case.

Anyway, the combat system, the way your character moves, interacting with npc's, lackluster chat box with unfriendly controls

• The Combat System
    • Interacting with npc's

The Combat System-
    It is just old school in a new time. Some people may like the shoutout to oldschool MMO game play. I have seen the promised land with active combat MMO's, like Tera. And semi-active combat MMO's like GW2. FF14 just feels like a huge step backwards to me. Though some of the enemies in this game have attacks that they "tell" and you as a player have to move your character out the way. And by "get out of the way", I mean nonchalantly strafe out. Don't worry, the enemy knows you have no roll ability and will wait for a little while before actually commencing his attack.

So, they already made this a very relaxed (for lack of a better word) game with hardly any "action" in the combat system. Like rolling out the way, etc. Add in a rather long 2.5 second global cooldown and you have a recipe for a slow, arduous game.

Character Movement-
    Doesn't feel very reactive. I press the key and it feels like a millisecond delay, which isn't that much but enough to be annoying. Before anyone asks or tries to tell me.. no it isn't a result of my computer and/or my graphics settings being too high in the game.

Interacting with NPC's-
    This is not that big of a deal, but you do this enough to where it gets a little annoying. Click on the npc. Wait like 0.5 - 1 second... Then the npc focuses on you and stops you from moving while he "talks" (makes you click through text spam) to you.

Ever try ignoring a gold spammer? Normally just right-click the name and... oh no, not in this game! Ever try to set up tabs to new chat tabs to have chat channels on/off to your liking? Good luck. I've put together chairs from scratch that had their directions written in another language, and that was still easier than this.

An option.. any option. This is kind of a big deal to RP'ers, and I do RP every now and then. So, with such an unfriendly chat box coupled with no text balloons... if you are an RP'er, just prepare yourself now to get lost in a sea of text with only 3 people RP'ing.

That's about it, though there are other issues that I am either forgetting or I thought they weren't serious enough to address. Just voicing my opinion is all!

You did present your case logically and it all makes sense to me.  Some of these are personal preferance issues and you're certainly entitled to your opinion.  By all means, play what you like. 

The combat system and 2.5 delay are both positives for me.  Don't get me wrong, I like a good hack and slash game, but I prefer them to be on console and single player.  I like my MMORPGs to be more slowed down.  I want every ability to matter and I hate spamming my left mouse button to attack.  To each their own.

Everything else you wrote, I completely agree with.  It seems like the game could use a little tweaks here and there to make things more user friendly.  I have been hitting "R" to reply to tells in these games for a long long time and it's frustrating trying to adjust.  I also want to be able to click on someone's name in the chat box and friend or ignore them.  Chat bubbles are a must. 

You don't like the combat and that is a big deal breaker.  It was the same way with me and action combat games.  I liked it at first, but I couldn't stick with it.  In the end I prefer the slow combat, tab targeting.  Either way, there's no reason to "step on" your opinion and I'm a big fan of this game.  I hope you find a game that you enjoy as much as I enjoy this game.  I hope they tweak the quality of life things you mentioned, no real reason not to have them in this game.  Above all, I hope and pray to anyone listening that I can log on the game and play tonight without the servers being full. 

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

yeah a lot of this is personal preference.  which is cool man.  don't feel weird about it.

I kinda figured out in the beta that it wasn't really my deal.  I wanted to like it because I wanted a new game. 

but I had to accept the fact that it wasn't my gig and buying it for the sake of a new shiny would have just pissed me off in the end.

so I ended up buying a backup set of gunnar optiks instead. 

kinda nice havng second pair of these things to change up my rl look while at the computer =p

edit:

lol dude, you joined in 05 and have made 3 posts.

common dude, you can chat with everyone here more than that lol

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by cerebrix

yeah a lot of this is personal preference.  which is cool man.  don't feel weird about it.

I kinda figured out in the beta that it wasn't really my deal.  I wanted to like it because I wanted a new game. 

but I had to accept the fact that it wasn't my gig and buying it for the sake of a new shiny would have just pissed me off in the end.

kinda nice havng second pair of these things to change up my rl look while at the computer =p

edit:

Do you really see any value in those?  no pun intended.  Those glasses intrigue me but do they really do anything?

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105

• The Combat System
    • Interacting with npc's

The Combat System-

Character Movement-

Interacting with NPC's-

While your points are fair, this doesnt belong in the reviews because its not a review.  Its things you didnt like.  It should be balanced with the positives, of which there obviously are if you are the least bit impartial.  Without trying to be fair, you have what can accurately be called a 'hater' post

I personally think your first 2 negatives are positives, but understand that others feel differently.  I would never remotely consider action combat to be evolution, so FFXIV's combat isnt a step backwards, its just different.

• TurQTurQ Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by icculus2112

• The Combat System
    • Interacting with npc's

The Combat System-

Character Movement-

Interacting with NPC's-

While your points are fair, this doesnt belong in the reviews because its not a review.  Its things you didnt like.  It should be balanced with the positives, of which there obviously are if you are the least bit impartial.  Without trying to be fair, you have what can accurately be called a 'hater' post

I personally think your first 2 negatives are positives, but understand that others feel differently.  I would never remotely consider action combat to be evolution, so FFXIV's combat isnt a step backwards, its just different.

I completely agree.. I made this in the general chat forum... someone moved it to the reviews <,<

I don't know why, I purposely made it in the general chat area because I knew it was just my opinion. Strange.

The words in bold are not important.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Interacting with NPC's-

Oh man I have to respond to this because frankly it's so shitty done I can't believe. They want to fix this asap. I'm not that bothered by being locked down while clicking through quest texts, but the delay AFTER you're  done with the quest giver is just lol. Right in the end you have to wait for like a second  before you can move away, and it becomes increasingly annoying with time.

I know it could be connected to lag but than they simply shouldn't lock you down (without a cancel option too) in the first place.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by c0exist

edit:

Do you really see any value in those?  no pun intended.  Those glasses intrigue me but do they really do anything?

I get migraines from eyestrain as im on the computer 8 hours a day at work, plus gaming when I get home.  I have 20/20 vision.

my eye doctor suggested these as the prescription I had she feared would in the long run end up damaging my eyesight since I have 20/20

these things have been a godsend for me

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

So I came here to post on the MMORPG.com forums so I can avoid the FF14 fanboys

Didn't read after that.

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by c0exist

edit:

I get migraines from eyestrain as im on the computer 8 hours a day at work, plus gaming when I get home.  I have 20/20 vision.

my eye doctor suggested these as the prescription I had she feared would in the long run end up damaging my eyesight since I have 20/20

these things have been a godsend for me

Thanks for the info, I too am on a computer screen for work all day and game when i get home.  I dont feel like I have eye strain but you never know.  Dont want to cause damage, im going to pick up a pair of those. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

So I came here to post on the MMORPG.com forums so I can avoid the FF14 fanboys

Didn't read after that.

Lol OP, they are everywhere!  I had no idea FF was this popular...as I never had any interest in it.  Then this uninspired/dull game came along and you would think it was the end all be all according to some.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

+1

I have the same issues with the game. 

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I have to agree also, the game is pretty good but it doesn't do it for me. I tried to like it because I need a new game : ( And spent 90 beans on it lol.