Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Neverwinter: Delving Into Fury of the Feywild

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Fury of the Feywild is Neverwinter's first major content expansion that brings new features, a couple of new races and the new "campaign system" into the game. We've got some impressions to share from our time in the game. See what we've got to say before heading to the comments to tell us about your experiences.

Fury of the Feywild turns the attention of the player away from the comings and goings of the city of Neverwinter and shifts the focus to assisting the Iliyanbruen elves in retaking their ancestral home from the Fomorian Giants and the their lackeys, the Red Cap Gnomes. The new zone of Sharandar has four distinct regions. The first of these regions acts as a hub for the other three. You will be able to unlock the first secured region, the Blighted Grove, on your first visit to Sharandar. The next two regions can only be unlocked as you progress through the Campaign system.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Neverwinter: Fury of the Feywild Impressions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301

They should of put in the new class that was allegedly "basically done" prior to launch.  I also have read that the Drow is still not available for everyone.  I could of sworn I also read that the moon elves are not available unless you buy a new $60 pack.  All and all, I'm happy I stopped playing this game a couple months ago.  

• grammitongrammiton Member Posts: 2

Blah.

This game launched with so much potential, but without access to all the races and classes of base 4e, I was entirely disappointed. Right off the bat, I'm out.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well the ranger or some mutation of it is coming by the end of the year... I´l check back then.

This have been a good conversation

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I stopped playing 2 weeks into it once I found out the ridiculous cash shop prices.

• LighttipLighttip Member UncommonPosts: 24
    FFXIV is better.  Even with all the login issues.  Not interested in Neverwinter anymore.  Sad...it had potential.  It had none of my favorite classes.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

The lack of classes really killed this game for me. It's a shame, because the game had lots of systems working great (action combat, LFG tool, web browser crafting and Auctin House) and a decent community of Foundry creators. 

Unfortunately, this game is another example of an unfinished MMO launch. I'm guessing it might evolve into a really good MMO in mid 2014, but who will bother to check it by then?

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I uninstalled this game the day FoF came out. I have no desire to jump back in. 
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    It's completely ridiculous that they charge money for certain races. This game is a complete cash grab and I wouldn't touch it if someone paid me. Cryptic Studios has zero integrity. Just shameless.

Smile

• cmaddingcmadding Member UncommonPosts: 1
    What is FoF
  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    It's completely ridiculous that they charge money for certain races. This game is a complete cash grab and I wouldn't touch it if someone paid me. Cryptic Studios has zero integrity. Just shameless.

Pretty much this.  There are ways to do F2P (Check out Rift, Tera).  And then there is Neverwinter.  Its a MMCSO (Massive Multiplayer Cash Shop Online). 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

"What is your favorite part of the new module?"  Since no new classes or Paragons, that would be the boons. Nice addition to some builds. Foundry enhancements are cool too.

"Do you think the campaign system leans too heavily on dailies?"  Yep, I do :)

And while not part of Feywild indeed, I'd like to mention the ambivalent state of the summer event (slight correction, you wrote "You can earn yet again another currency" actually not 1, but 3 of them :) )

In most cases these festivals and events are ingame for the whole playerbase to enjoy the detour from the same old gameplay. Even in Cryptic's other two games. It's a bit strange that in NW (with leaving out a few simple mechanisms) they honed the event to the level capped, preferably DPS characters, with store mounts...

Herding is all about speed, so a 110 mount is an obvious advantage, kobolds need a high level, well geared toon (or else you cant kill them fast enough and your flowers will be stolen), and trolls have the very same problem the Valindra invasion had, only kill count matters. Tank, heal or support, while welcomed in the fight, worths nothing.

It's still a fun event to partake, but if someone wants the rewards too beside the fun, and not falling in the category above (lower level, not dps, slow mounts)... well, that someone will grind 2-3 times more for the afforementioned currencies :)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I thought that what I gave for the overpriced drow race (that would last me more than a year in a P2P game) would set me for quite a while as far as my monetary contribution went to that title. It was hardly the case at all but I tried to persist playing, mostly to get some of my money's worth out of the title.

The addition of another cash shop race into the game disgusted me in such a degree that I abandoned the game and swore to never touch a Cryptic game or any other game that featured a similar monetary scam scheme.

Honestly, I should have known better that the whole game is a grand money scam, when they were selling in those ridiculous prices Drizzt Do'Urden with the panther included. Fooled me once ...

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Lighttip
    FFXIV is better.  Even with all the login issues.  Not interested in Neverwinter anymore.  Sad...it had potential.  It had none of my favorite classes.

it barley had any classes, 5 was just to few , especially with using the trinity.

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    I stopped playing 2 weeks into it once I found out the ridiculous cash shop prices.

Same. 

Outrageous pricing. 

• SuddleDSuddleD Member Posts: 12
    I see way to much QQ! This game is fun and the expansion adds some things to do and a new dungeon. You don't have to spend any money if you don't want, but remember its FREE to play, so you can enjoy the game and not even pay a cent! You can convert AD to zen and vice-versa so you can get a good mount without paying, etc. Yes, the new summer events do cater to DPS and a faster mount, but you don't have to be the #1 player to get rewarded for events that take places every 10 mins to farm your materials. Plus you can move to a smaller 4/5 person instance and get top of the charts that way or farm flowers if you need to. I think this game is fun, especially considering its free and easy to get into.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by SuddleD
    I see way to much QQ! This game is fun and the expansion adds some things to do and a new dungeon. You don't have to spend any money if you don't want, but remember its FREE to play, so you can enjoy the game and not even pay a cent! You can convert AD to zen and vice-versa so you can get a good mount without paying, etc. Yes, the new summer events do cater to DPS and a faster mount, but you don't have to be the #1 player to get rewarded for events that take places every 10 mins to farm your materials. Plus you can move to a smaller 4/5 person instance and get top of the charts that way or farm flowers if you need to. I think this game is fun, especially considering its free and easy to get into.

Well, while the contribution and opinion of the non paying free sampling crowd holds a certain value, the opinion of the people that invested a considerable amount of money into the game to find out it was just a blatant money cash grab holds a bit more, won't you think?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Yes, the new summer events do cater to DPS and a faster mount, but you don't have to be the #1 player to get rewarded for events that take places every 10 mins to farm your materials.

I wrote the very same. You don't have to be first, but then you should prepare yourself for 3 times more of a grind, and the time is limited (4 events per hour, 18 days). If your goal is the companion (a very lame one, might I add :) ) you'll either farm for it 1.5 hours every day during the event (almost 3 weeks), or you'll get it in a week. Which is a huge difference, and it's not caused by skills or free time or anything, simply Cryptic made it so that dps characters / 110 mounts have a clear advantage.

I'm not affected personally by it (I needed only the garb), but I think it worths noting. Splitting and differentiating your playerbase is never a good thing, and in a fun, seasonal event which has only cosmetic fluff, it's even more pointless. I can only think of f2p, since in CO and STO Cryptic has awesome seasonal events - but of course those games are freemium with the option of subbing.

And for how easy to avoid such differentiation, here's a pic I shot in LotRO (also a freemium game with a sub option, see the pattern? :)

Farmer's Faire started yesterday, with a few "pvp" events where you play against your fellow players and speed matters, like in NW's herding. A simply area-wide debuff to everyone:

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin

They should of put in the new class that was allegedly "basically done" prior to launch.  I also have read that the Drow is still not available for everyone.  I could of sworn I also read that the moon elves are not available unless you buy a new $60 pack.  All and all, I'm happy I stopped playing this game a couple months ago.  

Reskinned garbage on top of it all too. Like they did the absolute bare minimum. Between this and the silly exploits, I can't help but feel completely miffed at the audacity of them to pick up the Neverwinter name.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676

I played, but didn't get sucked into spending any money in it. To me, the costs weren't the major issue. Ordinarily they would have been, but there where some real howlers that took pride of place:

Negative pricing exploit in the Auction House - "fixed" by a two day roll back, when it had been there for weeks. This exploit mechanism was already known in another of their games, yet they still carried it across to Neverwinter.

The famous ogre pushing Foundry quests - lvl to cap in one day

Afk pvp - again lvl to cap in one day

The mass exploiting of end game dungeons

The failure to have a full roll back - which the game definitely needed

And finally the launch format of open ended beta with a cash shop - providing a cop out to all the bugs, exploits in the game while happily taking the unwary players money.